Illinois fires Lovie Smith, hires Bret Bielema

texifornia

It's too bad. Lovie succeeding at Illinois would've been a great story. He didn't really seem to be a good candidate to succeed in college but you had to figure that his NFL experience would open the door to every recruit. He'd at least get an audience. 

I saw an article at the CBS Sports CFB page that said Luke Fickell was one of the coaches under consideration to replace Lovie. Lol. Like he'd take that job in a million years. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It's too bad. Lovie succeeding at Illinois would've been a great story. He didn't really seem to be a good candidate to succeed in college but you had to figure that his NFL experience would open the door to every recruit. He'd at least get an audience. 

I saw an article at the CBS Sports CFB page that said Luke Fickell was one of the coaches under consideration to replace Lovie. Lol. Like he'd take that job in a million years. 

Isn't Illinois usually a better football team than Indiana?  There might be a little cross border envy going on, too.

35 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Isn't Illinois usually a better football team than Indiana?  There might be a little cross border envy going on, too.

Illinois and Indiana are the teams the other Big 10 teams schedule for their Home Coming games.  

Their last 9 win season was 2007.  Their last 10 win season was 2001.  10 wins is the most they have ever had in a season.  Since 1892 they have had 4 10 win seasons.  Maybe Lovie needed to be replaced, but I am not sure what their performance expectations are.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ABSR said:

Illinois and Indiana are the teams the other Big 10 teams schedule for their Home Coming games.  

Their last 9 win season was 2007.  Their last 10 win season was 2001.  10 wins is the most they have ever had in a season.  Since 1892 they have had 4 10 win seasons.  Maybe Lovie needed to be replaced, but I am not sure what their performance expectations are.

Yeah their peak in my lifetime was under Mackovic, and I am an old. 

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

I just don’t understand how these schools can be so stupid. 
How can you fire a coach with no backfill identified and before NSD1?

Insanity. 

They just wish they had the class and dignity of Texas. The longer you stretch out and delay firing your coach the more class and dignity points you get. When we finally do fire him the whole country will gasp in awe and astonishment and exclaim "see? They do things right in Texas, everyone should fire their coach like that." And from that day forward every time another AD sees CDC they will give him a high five for the inspirational management and leadership he has shown through this process.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

Just now, Valmy77 said:

The longer you stretch out and delay firing your coach the more class and dignity points you get.

and then you really have to top it off with a dispiriting, third-choice type of hire

I think the biggest mistake we made with Tom Herman was, we went after a hot commodity. That was really unbecoming and we're reaping what we sowed. 

How about Dino Babers, how's he grab you guys?

2 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I think the biggest mistake we made with Tom Herman was, we went after a hot commodity.

The biggest mistake made with Turtle was the extension that CDC is now trying to distance himself from through his minions in the Texas media.  That extension more than justifies the immediate termination of CDC.  

• texifornia changed the title to Illinois fires Lovie Smith, hires Bret Bielema

Well played Bert, you stupid fat fuck. Leaves the best team in the Big 10 West after 3 rose bowls because he felt the need to "spread his wings" which must be code for getting fat. now he's back in the Big 10 West signing on with basically the worst team. 

This link is great because you can see bert's mass and hence gravitational force increase year by year. He's heading towards Mangino territory. 

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/college/football/college-football-the-rise-and-fall-of-bret-bielema/collection_9261b19c-7f55-5927-bae2-8e15542fe31d.html#1

Also no bert thread is complete without 

Jen-Bielema-bikini.jpg 

Edited by Blotto
  • Like 2