JJ Watt gives one of the all-time great answers to a post game question

shadow_operative

Thanks for the post. Just seeing this for the first time.  This is an instant-classic clip. Feel for JJ - it's been tough to watch or, now, not watch this season. Unfortunately none of it is really the players' faults. They've all been thrust into a dogshit situation. 

What sucks too is I promise you Deshaun feels the exact same way. That man would play for free. At least he has a lot more football ahead of him than JJ does.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

Huge respect to Watt for this speech, and so much more. As a neutral fan he seems to be a complete and total badass on and off the field, and is one of the easiest guys to root for in league history. Big respect to JJ for this.

love this guy

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Thanks for the post. Just seeing this for the first time.  This is an instant-classic clip. Feel for JJ - it's been tough to watch or, now, not watch this season. Unfortunately none of it is really the players' faults. They've all been thrust into a dogshit situation. 

What sucks too is I promise you Deshaun feels the exact same way. That man would play for free. At least he has a lot more football ahead of him than JJ does.

I promise you that deshaun Watson would not play quarterback in the nfl for free. 

Great speech, but serious question...

Why is there anyone that exists who fits his description? This franchise was made up out of thin air, plays in an overgrown and stale Erector set of a stadium, has zero history or “culture” and is, and has been from day 1, nothing more than a space filler in a market that the NFL needs.

If anyone out there actually cares enough about this fictional entity to the point of suffering, that’s on them for being naive, gullible, and, well....stupid.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 3

30 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Why is there anyone that exists who fits his description? This franchise was made up out of thin air, plays in an overgrown and stale Erector set of a stadium, has zero history or “culture” and is, and has been from day 1, nothing more than a space filler in a market that the NFL needs.

If anyone out there actually cares enough about this fictional entity to the point of suffering, that’s on them for being naive, gullible, and, well....stupid.

This is the reason I gave up my season tickets a decade ago

36 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

because fuck bud adams

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Watt really plays to a certain segment of older white fans who swoon over him doing things "the right way." Of course this begs the question "as opposed to who?"  He crosses over into being a showboat in his own way at times, like when he posted the picture showing he made it to the weight room the day after the biggest flood in recent Houston history.  A guy who makes that much money in that profession doesn't have a home gym?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 7

5 minutes ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

Watt really plays to a certain segment of older white fans who swoon over him doing things "the right way." Of course this begs the question "as opposed to who?"  He crosses over into being a showboat in his own way at times, like when he posted the picture showing he made it to the weight room the day after the biggest flood in recent Houston history.  A guy who makes that much money in that profession doesn't have a home gym?

he's a first in, last out kinda guy

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

Yeah I'm with you and very much in the minority on this one. This team does not suck because the players don't try hard enough. They suck because, well, the roster sucks. And that's not the fault of the sucky players for sucking; that's the fault of the suckass front office and has been since day one of that franchise. A franchise that sucks because the McNairs are quietly meddling sanctimonious idiots. At least Jerrah runs a first class soap opera; the Texans are and always have been milk n' cookie boys whose ceiling, as a franchise, is making it very briefly to paper tiger status every now and then before getting handled by actually good teams. They've had the same problems for decades now. They never ever have come up with a way to field both and offensive line and a secondary at the same time.

Yeah, but as much as the fans love Watt's tirade, I bet his teammates think he's a shithead. And like I said up top, the reason that team sucks is because of ownership / front office, but Watt has never criticized those clowns and never would. That's just not how he rolls because he's just so lunchpail / hardhat / coach on the field etc. 

Nothing good ever comes out of calling out your teammates, esp not weeks after their season was over. This is the kind of shit you are supposed to handle in the clubhouse, not in front of the media, but again, that's not how JJ rolls. JJ wants you to know none of this is his fault. And it's not management's fault either. It's the fault of all those spares who don't try hard enough.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

you all joke about lunchpail, hardest worker etc but JJ Watt has 3 NFL defensive player of the year awards. You don't get to that point without being a seriously bad motherfucker with an incredible amount of talent. On top of that talent he also worked harder than everyone else. Dominated games when constantly double teamed and sometimes triple teamed. Worked his way back from some serious injuries to still be a far above average player in his 10th season. Every word he said in that presser was 1000% true. 

It is true that ownership, management, and coaching has failed him, DeShawn, and Andre and it's sad. 

But all you Cowboy fans...what have they done since the salary cap was brought in to play? Not much...      

• Hook 'Em 2

I would like to know whether Watt is calling out other players to their face. I don’t mean in a team meeting but pulling someone aside and telling him, he needs to commit more. Any employee can stand up at a company meeting and say nameless people need to work harder. That costs nothing and allows you to pat yourself on the back.

and until I hear Watt publicly call out a coach, gm or owner for mistakes, his words ring a bit hollow for me. The Texans don’t have 4 wins because some players that don’t give 100%. Or as others have pointed out, why did the team sign those players?

As an aside, I imagine there are plenty of obese, white people sitting on their strained recliner, posting supportive comments about JJs speech on social media. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 2

Jesus christ you might want to look into what he has done around town after the biggest flood in Houston history before spouting off. I'm not even a texans fan but a lot of misplaced hate by cowboys fan in this thread.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

you all joke about lunchpail, hardest worker etc but JJ Watt has 3 NFL defensive player of the year awards. You don't get to that point without being a seriously bad motherfucker with an incredible amount of talent. On top of that talent he also worked harder than everyone else. Dominated games when constantly double teamed and sometimes triple teamed. Worked his way back from some serious injuries to still be a far above average player in his 10th season. Every word he said in that presser was 1000% true. 

It is true that ownership, management, and coaching has failed him, DeShawn, and Andre and it's sad. 

But all you Cowboy fans...what have they done since the salary cap was brought in to play? Not much...      

It's hard to out-shitshow the Cowboys, but god damn it Houston somehow manages to pull it off.

44 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Yeah I'm with you and very much in the minority on this one. This team does not suck because the players don't try hard enough. They suck because, well, the roster sucks. And that's not the fault of the sucky players for sucking; that's the fault of the suckass front office and has been since day one of that franchise. A franchise that sucks because the McNairs are quietly meddling sanctimonious idiots. At least Jerrah runs a first class soap opera; the Texans are and always have been milk n' cookie boys whose ceiling, as a franchise, is making it very briefly to paper tiger status every now and then before getting handled by actually good teams. They've had the same problems for decades now. They never ever have come up with a way to field both and offensive line and a secondary at the same time.

Yeah, but as much as the fans love Watt's tirade, I bet his teammates think he's a shithead. And like I said up top, the reason that team sucks is because of ownership / front office, but Watt has never criticized those clowns and never would. That's just not how he rolls because he's just so lunchpail / hardhat / coach on the field etc. 

Nothing good ever comes out of calling out your teammates, esp not weeks after their season was over. This is the kind of shit you are supposed to handle in the clubhouse, not in front of the media, but again, that's not how JJ rolls. JJ wants you to know none of this is his fault. And it's not management's fault either. It's the fault of all those spares who don't try hard enough.  

I feel like he was more or less calling out the front office for being a fraud with this speech, not necessarily his teammates.  I'm sure there are a few guys who don't give a shit that are there just to get a paycheck, but it goes from the top down.  If your ownership/front office group are lazy and are there just to get a paycheck, it will bleed in to your entire organization.  I don't really get the loyalty thing to an NFL team as the NFL is simply an entertainment business.  Comparable to rooting for your favorite wrestler in the WWE.

I like JJ and think he's a great player and I'm not really a Texans fan.  A tiny sliver of me feels bad for him that he'll never win a superbowl in Houston.  Then I realize how much money he's getting paid and that sliver goes away even though I think money doesn't really mean that much to him.  He loves the game and loves playing it. 

A lot of their fans remind me of aggy.  Think they belong at the dance but get there asses handed to them in important games.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

Holy shit, are we talking about aggy? Because, this is aggy. It's aggy. He's talking about aggy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

I agree with you on this but isn't every sports franchise ever created from thin air? They all started from nothing and grew. Houston was always going to get another team after moving to Tennessee. Baltimore Ravens were the same way in the 90s and now they are well established and have history. Both franchises moved away and then came back to that city under a new mascot and team. Texans just have not won anything so there is no real history there yet. Where the Ravens have won 2 Super Bowls. But they have been around 20 years or close to it now. Had they won, it would be a little different story. And I know the Oilers hold a place in all of Houston's football fans heart but they never won, either. Both teams never could get past the divisional round. I get that there was more of an identity with the Oilers. They seemed more unique from their logo to their colors to the stadium. Texans are pretty generic from their colors, name and stadium.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

Agree with the general point, but only as it pertains to all pro sports teams, not just the Texans.

But their stadium is the second best stadium in Texas to watch a football game live. The only better one is the Alamodome. I'm talking about actually watching a football game. Meaning sightlines, views, proximity to the field, acoustics, etc. I don't give a shit about fancy outside appearance, concessions, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Agree with the general point, but only as it pertains to all pro sports teams, not just the Texans.

But their stadium is the second best stadium in Texas to watch a football game live. The only better one is the Alamodome. I'm talking about actually watching a football game. Meaning sightlines, views, proximity to the field, acoustics, etc. I don't give a shit about fancy outside appearance, concessions, etc.

The Cotton Bowl for me.  Proximity to the field is great and seats angled vs everything squared in the Alamodome.

• Hook 'Em 1

Watt is a hall of fame lock and the best player in franchise history. In that sense, he can say what he wants. I don’t think it’s worth fawning over him for but I can appreciate the genuine dedication to the craft.

Only negative if add is that none of us know what goes on behind closed doors, but if he hasn’t been echoing these sentiments in the locker room it’s pretty weak to take it to the media.

I hope Houston trades him to contender this offseason.

59 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

. Had they won, it would be a little different story. And I know the Oilers hold a place in all of Houston's football fans heart but they never won, either. Both teams never could get past the divisional round. I get that there was more of an identity with the Oilers. They seemed more unique from their logo to their colors to the stadium. Texans are pretty generic from their colors, name and stadium.

wrong...went to the AFC championship in Earl's first two seasons. and Bud Adams fired Bum Phillips after the 1979 season. 

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

I'm a native Houstonian and I don't even get it. 

image.thumb.png.02ab5845d984203c9e88c60bbc72119c.png

image.thumb.png.3213895f0044bd4f738b3a80f05cf936.png

image.png.efb40ba500defbace0a01543da0c210e.png

Similar boat. I remember being a kid and losing my mind when Houston was awarded an expansion franchise. I remember being excited during the fateful Tony Boselli Expansion Draft. All down hill since then. 

I'll watch every game because, what the hell else are you going to do on Sunday at noon during covid? 

I believe the Texans have sold out every home game on paper, and there's a waiting list for season tickets. I. Don't. Get. It. 

22 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

wrong...went to the AFC championship in Earl's first two seasons. and Bud Adams fired Bum Phillips after the 1979 season. 

spacer.png

My mistake. 

I still stand by the rest of what I said. It's a sports franchise. It is for entertainment purposes only. People are always naturally going to root for teams in their areas. They all have appeared out of thin air in their inception. Some earlier than others.

Not trading Watt at the trade deadline was a tremendous mistake. I believe the Texans could have saved $20-25 million against the cap next season if they made this move. This was well known, public information that the media wrote/talked about regularly before the deadline. If Cal McNair reads the newspaper, he would have been aware of this. 

The Texans would have also received a better package of picks if they traded Watt. A 2021 second and a future second feels right. But hey they swapped picks with the Cardinals in the second round for Hopkins, so it could have been much worse. Watt's trade value decreases significantly if they trade him after the season. 

I'm sure Cal balked at trading Harvey Relief Superhero because of the perceived PR hit that wasn't really out there.

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

The Cotton Bowl for me.  Proximity to the field is great and seats angled vs everything squared in the Alamodome.

I've got it #3 but only because I don't know how much of enjoying watching a football game there is based on the game I'm watching (TX/OU) versus the stadium itself.

So what's the final verdict here on JJ Watt? He good or bad?

Should he be muzzled for speaking his mind after another exasperating close loss?

Should the Texans trade arguably the greatest player in their franchise history and then deal with fan and media fall out?

Edited by UDontKnow

6 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

This is incorrect. The Oilers played in the 1979 AFC Championship against the Steelers and an egregious referee error took the wind out of their sails culminating in a 27-13 loss. 

And the Oilers played in the 1978 AFC Championship game also vs. the Steelers (as mentioned by @Dennis Taylor).