A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

The internet reaction to this statement has been...weird. Like, did everyone just get amnesia and forget everything Trump has said and done the past 10 years? People all over the internet are acting like this is some new low for him.

I mean, I get it, but the depths of his depravity amazes me each and every time. It's literally something a 16 year old internet troll might say. And grown people in positions of power cheer it on. It's an incredible low for our country that is still ongoing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

6 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

The internet reaction to this statement has been...weird. Like, did everyone just get amnesia and forget everything Trump has said and done the past 10 years? People all over the internet are acting like this is some new low for him.

if only they had come after him for his thousands upon thousands of equally inflammatory statements. But nah, need to keep the revenue engine going

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Vegas odds have him as the favorite in '24.  FML.

not sure if you're talking about winning or just winning the gop nom, but he's been about even money vs the field to win the gop nom (which makes him the overwhelming favorite vs any one person) for several months now.  he hasn't stopped campaigning since 2015, not sure he ever will.

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

not sure if you're talking about winning or just winning the gop nom, but he's been about even money vs the field to win the gop nom (which makes him the overwhelming favorite vs any one person) for several months now.  he hasn't stopped campaigning since 2015, not sure he ever will.

hopefully he'll stop once he's dead

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

guess this goes here?

Deripaska works directly for Putin and does Putin's bidding. He's also good friends with Paul Manafort and gave Manafort at least 19 million dollars, after which Trump removed millions of dollars of sanctions on Deripaska's companies. He's also the same oligarch who was going to invest 200 million dollars to build an aluminum plant in Kentucky after McConnell backed the plan to get Trump to remove sanctions on one of his companies (Rusal).  

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

9 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

It's incredibly easy money, probably the easiest he's ever made.  Probably even easier than The Apprentice, since these campaign rallies require no rehearsals and he can just repeat himself over and over.

18 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's incredibly easy money, probably the easiest he's ever made.  Probably even easier than The Apprentice, since these campaign rallies require no rehearsals and he can just repeat himself over and over.

the most outrageous thing of all of this, is that he hasn't worked out some sort of licensing deal with all his sub-grifters so that he can skim off some more of that lucre

I bet I can turn a nice lick writing a "satirical" account of trump white house fuckery. Just put fake rave reviews from Tucker Karlson, or Shawn Hannitee on the dustcover. Dotard and crew don't read and would promote the hell out of a book that clowns on them unwittingly as long as people are saying good things about the book.

20 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

I bet I can turn a nice lick writing a "satirical" account of trump white house fuckery. Just put fake rave reviews from Tucker Karlson, or Shawn Hannitee on the dustcover. Dotard and crew don't read and would promote the hell out of a book that clowns on them unwittingly as long as people are saying good things about the book.

Don't forget a chapter about the Gorilla Channel. Goddamn that was funny!

17 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i like to think i pay a decent amount of attention and i've never heard his name before.  guess he worked for pence or some shit.  that's where all the action is.

Is that real? The font is different than usual.

20 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i like to think i pay a decent amount of attention and i've never heard his name before.  guess he worked for pence or some shit.  that's where all the action is.

He was named as one of the transition team members (volunteer)  for the Pentagon. Worked for Cubic Corp as a senior VP.

Very close to Michael Flynn (that says a lot right there). When Flynn resigned, retired Lt. Gen Kellog took his place.

He speaks on Fox, offers up opinions on stuff like Afghanistan, etc.

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Deripaska works directly for Putin and does Putin's bidding. He's also good friends with Paul Manafort and gave Manafort at least 19 million dollars, after which Trump removed millions of dollars of sanctions on Deripaska's companies. He's also the same oligarch who was going to invest 200 million dollars to build an aluminum plant in Kentucky after McConnell backed the plan to get Trump to remove sanctions on one of his companies (Rusal).  

but in no way is it possible that the trump campaign solicited and accepted in kind campaign contributions from the russian government. 

12 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i would throw a comma in there, but otherwise, as they say, it's ready to send.

What’s great is I think it works with or without the comma. 

I think with the comma is best for a press release. But without would be be better at his eulogy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

he got the advanced copy - the one with the big letters and pretty pictures. It was actually 'Hop on Pop' but he can't read, so he doesn't know the difference

All my rep says Trump received one of the publisher advanced copies that always has "NOT FOR SALE" stamped all over it.  Instead of reading it, Trump autographed the book, and got $11 for it at Half Priced Books.  And has now declared himself 'back in the publishing game'  

Who among us is surprised by this revelation:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/19/us/politics/trump-border.html

President Trump’s defense secretary thought the idea was outrageous.

In the spring of 2020, Mark T. Esper, the defense secretary, was alarmed to learn of an idea under discussion at a top military command and at the Department of Homeland Security to send as many as 250,000 troops — more than half the active U.S. Army, and a sixth of all American forces — to the southern border in what would have been the largest use of the military inside the United States since the Civil War.

With the coronavirus pandemic raging, Stephen Miller, the architect of Mr. Trump’s immigration agenda, had urged the Homeland Security Department to develop a plan for the number of troops that would be needed to seal the entire 2,000-mile border with Mexico. It is not clear whether it was officials in homeland security or the Pentagon who concluded that a quarter of a million troops would be required.

The concept was relayed to officials at the Defense Department’s Northern Command, which is responsible for all military operations in the United States and on its borders, according to several former senior administration officials. Officials said the idea was never presented formally to Mr. Trump for approval, but it was discussed in meetings at the White House as they debated other options for closing the border to illegal immigration.

Spoiler

Mr. Esper declined to comment. But people familiar with his conversations, who declined to speak about them on the record, said he was enraged by Mr. Miller’s plan. In addition, homeland security officials had bypassed his office by taking the idea directly to military officials at Northern Command. Mr. Esper also believed that deploying so many troops to the border would undermine American military readiness around the world, officials said.

After a brief but contentious confrontation with Mr. Miller in the Oval Office, Mr. Esper ended consideration of the idea at the Pentagon.

Mr. Trump’s obsession with the southern border was already well known by that time. He had demanded a wall with flesh-piercing spikes, repeatedly mused about a moat filled with alligators, and asked about shooting migrants in the leg as they crossed the border. His aides considered a heat-ray that would make migrants’ skin feel hot.

Around the same time that officials considered the huge deployment to the American side of the border with Mexico, Mr. Trump also pressed his top aides to send forces into Mexico itself to hunt drug cartels, much like American commandos have tracked and killed terrorists in Afghanistan or Pakistan, the officials said.

Mr. Trump hesitated only after aides suggested that to most of the world, military raids inside Mexico could look like the United States was committing an act of war against one of its closest allies, which is also its biggest trading partner, the officials said.

In the end, rather than a vast deployment of the military to the border, the Trump administration used an obscure public health rule — which remains in effect to this day — to deny asylum and effectively shut down entry into the United States from Mexico during the pandemic. But taken together, the ideas under discussion that spring underscore the Trump administration’s view of the armed forces as a tool of the presidency that could be wielded on behalf of Mr. Trump’s domestic political agenda in an election year. And it further reveals the breach between Mr. Trump and his top military officials, who worked behind the scenes to prevent what they viewed as the president’s dangerous instincts.

Several aides to the former president did not respond to a request for comment on this story.

In “Peril,” a recently published book by the Washington Post reporters Bob Woodward and Robert Costa, Gen. Mark A. Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff under Mr. Trump, was characterized as saying he was concerned the president could go rogue and had mentally declined.

Now, new reporting reveals General Milley’s frustration that the White House — largely through Mr. Miller and his allies at the Homeland Security Department — tried to pressure the Pentagon leadership to deploy more troops to the southwest border. A spokesman for General Milley said the general declined to comment.

Mr. Esper declined to comment on his role in squelching Mr. Trump’s plans. But he, too, is getting ready to publish another in a long list of books about and from inside the Trump White House, describing his clashes with Mr. Trump.

Pressure for more troops at the border

Mr. Trump’s military commanders have said publicly that they repeatedly deflected the president’s calls to send more troops to the border for years, telling him that the armed forces were stretched thin and that the legal arguments for using military units were flimsy.

The top brass were frightened by what they saw as the president’s pattern of misusing the military. Just days before the 2018 congressional elections, Mr. Trump sent 5,200 troops to the border with Mexico, angering military officials, who believed the forces were being used as political props. And in June 2020, police officers and National Guard troops used tear gas and rubber bullets to clear Lafayette Square of protesters shortly before Mr. Trump walked over from the White House for a photo op. General Milley, who accompanied him, later apologized.

Then came the first surges of death and disease in the opening months of the coronavirus pandemic.

As a candidate, long before the virus arrived in the country, Mr. Trump had asserted falsely that “tremendous infectious disease is pouring across the border.” On March 23, 2020, just a week after addressing the nation from the Oval Office about the virus, Mr. Trump sent a tweet in all capital letters: “THIS IS WHY WE NEED BORDERS!”

As the administration debated ways to secure the southern border against the virus, Mr. Miller urged top officials at the Department of Homeland Security to come up with the actual number of troops it would take to shut the entire border down. He had grown frustrated in the past by requests from the agency for just a few thousand troops at a time.

“What’s the number you would really need?” he prodded officials, according to people familiar with his conversations.

Chad Wolf, who served as acting secretary of homeland security at the time, said that at the start of the pandemic, officials in the department were running a number of “worst-case scenarios,” such as what they would need if they had to seal the border completely.

But he said he does not believe a formal appeal was ever made to the Defense Department for that purpose, and he said discussions about sending 250,000 troops — or anything like that amount — to the border never made it to his level.

By the time Mr. Esper confronted Mr. Miller over the use of troops, the administration was already moving toward applying the rarely used legal authority known as Title 42, which gives the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention the ability to turn back immigrants during a health emergency. Mr. Miller, who had prevailed in previous clashes with military officials over troop deployments to the border, did not press the issue, according to a person familiar with his thinking.

Mr. Miller declined to comment on the idea to deploy troops to the border, but said use of the public health rule was critical to keeping migrants from entering the country.

“With economies and health care systems faltering across the planet, our southwest border would have become the epicenter of illicit Covid fueled migration — one giant, never-ending superspreader event,” he said. “Instead, the border was successfully sealed and the would-be violators and spreaders got the message and stayed home.”

If Mr. Trump had gone through with the troop deployment, it would have represented a force two and a half times the size of the 100,000 American troops in Afghanistan at the height of the 20-year war in that country. It would have also dwarfed the American presence in Iraq during the war there: The maximum number of troops in Iraq at any time was about 170,000.

It is unclear how the Defense Department could have managed such a deployment. The U.S. Army has about 481,000 active-duty soldiers, but many are already deployed around the world, as are thousands of Marines, airmen and other troops. Sending 250,000 troops to the border — much of which crosses difficult, undeveloped lands — would also have required an enormous logistical effort to house and feed the troops.

Targeting Mexican drug cartels

In November 2019, nine American members of a Mormon family from the United States — three women and six children — were killed by drug cartels in Mexico as they traveled through the Sierra Madre mountains. Mr. Trump and his allies seized on it as evidence of the need to shut down the border, a message echoed by anchors on Fox News and in other conservative outlets.

“This is the time for Mexico, with the help of the United States, to wage WAR on the drug cartels and wipe them off the face of the Earth. We merely await a call from your great new president!” Mr. Trump wrote on Twitter soon after the attack.

But inside the White House, Mr. Trump was even more explicit about the use of force, according to former officials who participated in discussions with the president about the issue.

Mr. Trump repeatedly asked about sending troops into Mexico, forcing top national security aides to push back against the idea, pointing out that to most of the world, it would look like an American invasion.

In fact, it would: the United States and Mexico have historically worked together to fight the cartels, usually through joint police and FBI operations at the invitation of the Mexican government. But despite his tweet promising to wait for cooperation with Mexican authorities, there were concerns inside the White House that Mr. Trump was suggesting something different — the unilateral use of military force to go after the cartels without necessarily getting the permission of the Mexican government.

Mexico’s president at the time, Andrés Manuel López Obrador, explicitly rejected Mr. Trump’s tweeted offer to “wage war” on the cartels.

“We appreciate and thank very much President Trump and any foreign government that wants to help, but in these cases we have to act with independence,” he said.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

With the coronavirus pandemic raging, Stephen Miller, the architect of Mr. Trump’s immigration agenda, had urged the Homeland Security Department to develop a plan for the number of troops that would be needed to seal the entire 2,000-mile border with Mexico.

Hands Across the Border

Hands Across America: 25 Years Later | Mental Floss

Stephen Miller, the architect of Mr. Trump’s immigration agenda, had urged the Homeland Security Department to develop a plan for the number of troops that would be needed to seal the entire 2,000-mile border with Mexico.

Why am I thinking of this guy when I read this?

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10108671/Meghan-McCain-reveals-bizarre-conversation-Donald-Trump-mocked-Senator-John-McCain.html

Television personality and DailyMail.com columnist Meghan McCain is opening up about her upcoming Audible audio memoir, Bad Republican, in an exclusive interview with DailyMailTV host Thomas Roberts.

McCain explained the tongue-and-cheek meaning behind the title, which is a light-hearted reference to the contrarian persona she’s consistently portrayed to be in the media.

The 36-year-old author also revealed details about a 'bizarre' phone conversation she had with former President Donald Trump after the 2016 election when he had mocked her father John McCain's war injuries.

'Now in the Audible book, you talk about receiving a phone call from former President Donald Trump,' asked DailyMailTV host Thomas Roberts. 'How surprised were you to get this call? And this is after the [2016] election, correct?'

'Yeah, it was after the election. There had been a report by Mike Allen that said that he was physically mocking my dad doing the thumbs down for the skinny healthcare repeal,' Meghan explained.

And my dad, because of his war injuries, he walked sort of like with a limp because he couldn't bend his knee,' Meghan continued, calling the ridicule 'disgusting.'

In 2017, Allen's Axios piece made reference to Trump 'imitating the thumbs-down' of McCain's headline-making health care vote to preserve the Affordable Care Act. At the time of the Arizona Senator's vote, he had recently been diagnosed with brain cancer.

'I tweeted, 'This is abhorrent. What more must my family be put through?' and I got a phone call from like this weird number that I didn't answer, and there was a voicemail that said, 'This is the White House. President Trump would like to speak with Miss McCain,' and I lost my mind,' Meghan recalled to DailyMailTV.

'And I called my dad and I said, 'I don't want to call him back. This is scary. I don't want to talk to him.' and my dad said, 'You have to call him. He's the President of the United States. It's not an option. You still respect the office.'

'I called him and we had a very bizarre conversation, and he denied making fun of my dad's war injuries and he didn't apologize, but he said, “I didn't do this, this is fake news, this is Mike Allen lying,” she recalled.

Spoiler

Meghan added that Trump then made his wife and, at the time, newly minted First Lady Melania get on speaker phone to help smooth things over.

'She was like, 'We love you, we love your dad.' and I was like, you don't, but okay,' Meghan said, adding that it felt like the 'one and only time' the Trumps had 'some awareness' of the 'damage' their rhetoric did to the McCain family.

When writing about the phone call in Bad Republican, Meghan noted Trump 'wouldn't change his tactics either. He would go on to talk about my father over and over again, always in derogatory ways.

'For years he made a sport of beating the crap out of my family, and he didn't let up once he got into the Oval Office. Trump had supporters boo my father at a rally. He fought the lowering of the flag in my dad's honor when he died,' she penned.

Trump infamously degraded McCain, a former prisoner of war, and his time in the military during a 2015 Q&A in Iowa. 'He's not a war hero,' Trump said of McCain. 'He's a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren't captured.'

Even as she was writing her manuscript he tweeted that John McCain was one of the most overrated people in DC.

In the course of writing her new Audible book, Meghan said that her father's 2018 death served as a sort of tentpole moment in the retelling of her life story.

'Liberty's birth and my father's death are the two key events creating a before and an after in the story of my life,' Meghan said of her new audio memoir Bad Republican.

Meghan and her husband Ben Domenech welcomed daughter Liberty in 2020.

The name of Meghan's new book, she revealed to DailyMailTV, was a way to sort of poke fun at the fact that wherever she seems to go, the word 'bad' follows.

Well, we know that either none of his shit gets edited before it goes out.  Or his inner-circle of advisers have the American history knowledge of a Sarah Palin in early stage dementia.  

I'm sure he'll backtrack it say, "No, fake news.  What I said was that Jefferson wrote the 'Federalism Newspapers' which were the only real news of the time, better than Colonial News Network."  I'm not saying you have to have an intimate knowledge of John Jay, but at least know like the top 1 or 2 guys and that none of them weren't Jefferson.  You don't have to know everybody between Hayes and McKinley (I forget a bunch of 'em), but he's been saying for 5 fucking years that Benjamin Franklin was one of the great U.S. Presidents after him and Lincoln.  

14 minutes ago, Bookman said:

A little-known fact is that when Jefferson wrote the Constitution, he traveled to Philadelphia by airplane. The airport where he landed has been torn down and is now occupied by the Four Seasons Total Landscaping company.

Sadly, he passed away due to complications from windmill cancer. 

"Jefferson was able to complete the fantastic constitution in record time.  Because like me, he had words.  He knew words.  He had the best words.  Jefferson would often flex his mental strength.  Tremendous strength with word recall exercises.  Man.  Woman.  Person.  TV.  Camera.  There were well known words of his day.  Lotta people don't know that.  Benjamin Franklin invented the camera while trying to capture the image of a lightning bolt hitting his kite.  That's why, to this day...on my smart phone, the icon for the flash on my camera is a little lightning bolt.  Lot of people don't know that."  

• Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement