Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

Remember when we hired a fucking HS coach in Corby Meekins who had no business coaching a D1 program, much less a blue blood like Texas.  

Hey Strong and Herman... this is how you do it. 

Sark may fail here, but I'll never give him shit for his first coaching staff.  These guys are best at their positions  

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, immamac said:

Do we need a new football board mod? I need to be able to not come to the site for 12-14 hours sometimes. 

This thread just took me about 25 minutes not only to catch up on, but also moderate a significant number of posts. 

We have a thread literally for the latest news that is posted at the top of the football board, this thread is for discussing outlanding conspiracy theories of who we are going to get as coaches. I think that jokes/stories told in this thread do need a tangental connection to the thread topic or they will be moved out into new topics.

I'll be giving "the rest of the day off" soft-bans to people who talk about shit completely out of left field without tying it to the thread. That doesn't mean give a wall of text update on unrelated shit and ask "did anything happen lolol?"

There's a balance that makes it fun, lighthearted while still being useful and fun to follow if you aren't a participant in the surly antics.

I'll do it. But you'll need to change my screen name to Campus Loop(y) Man. /ducks

Bobby's update

Inside Texas has learned that Alabama defensive coordinator Pete Golding is the prime candidate to become the next defensive coordinator for the University of Texas.

Golding, a Louisiana native, has worked with new Texas coach Steve Sarkisian the past four seasons at Bama under seven-time national champion Nick Saban.

Prior to his stint at Alabama, Golding was the defensive coordinator for two seasons at UTSA.

Other candidates for the position reportedly are Mississippi State DC Zach Arnett and current Texas defensive coordinator Chris Ash. Inside Texas is told that there is yet another candidate who might emerge that we, and other media members, are not currently tracking. Tennessee coach Jeremy Pruitt is said not to be under consideration.

Perhaps complicating matters, both Golding and Arnett have seven-figure buyouts of their existing contracts and, if not selected, Ash would also have to be bought out of his contract, too.

However, money has yet to be a barrier for Sarkisian or Texas, as proven by Sarkisian’s ability to lure Alabama tight ends coach Jeff Banks away from the Crimson Tide earlier today.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Is this the thread where we make fun of Urban for taking the Jags job? Is that in poor taste? Should we wait and see how everything plays out? 

I'll definitely eat crow if Urban takes the Jags job, but if it happens, that would bode most well for us. Can you imagine Bama and Ohio St getting weakened in the same off season? It's glorious!

Best Hook Em GIFs | Gfycat

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm fine with going on record saying this is the only hire I'm concerned about (if it does come to fruition). This would be the closest to buddy buddy, comfort hire of anyone Sark has brought on board. I don't think he's a bad DC but Bama didn't exactly light it up on that side of the ball this season. Is he comfortably or even objectively a better DC than Ash? 

Maybe I have a little battered wife syndrome going on with all of the terrible DCs we have seen come and go since Boom (and all of the scoreboard fucking OU has done to us the past 20 years).

12 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Wait you said Chip knows the DC and he could announce it this afternoon?  Bobby is trying to trump Chip.  It's gotta be Golding.

FCB said he's posting The Insider today. Capitalized meaning it's a segment he does. Guessing he usually does it on a different day, i don't really pay attention to that. But i think all you guys are assuming incorrectly on what he was saying. 

9 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I feel pretty good with the mix of recruiters/coaches.  Lupoi would have been awesome - but I'm guessing those last two spots are for a DC and a DB coach/technician.

Add Developers And I’m totally fine with that

Edited by D3zii

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I'm fine with going on record saying this is the only hire I'm concerned about (if it does come to fruition). This would be the closest to buddy buddy, comfort hire of anyone Sark has brought on board. I don't think he's a bad DC but Bama didn't exactly light it up on that side of the ball this season. Is he comfortably or even objectively a better DC than Ash? 

Maybe I have a little battered wife syndrome going on with all of the terrible DCs we have seen come and go since Boom (and all of the scoreboard fucking OU has done to us the past 20 years).

He ran a pretty good defense for the offenses they played.  Plus, and this is a positive considering defensive reps and such, he already knows how to handle his defense practice with Sark's offense and still keep it playing effective defense.  I don't consider this a buddy hire.  In all honesty, I think once Muschamp took his name out of it, Golding is as good as any of the other possibilities.  I think he is an upgrade over Ash(who I think did a decent job this year) and on par or better then the other legitimate candidates that have been mentioned.

Dan Quinn and Muschamp weren't happening, so I am happy with him given the alternatives.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Is BOB so much of a sick nobody wants to work with him or did Saban tell them all he is rotating next year and if something comes up worthwhile, take it with my blessing because next year will be a shit show.

I can’t figure out why many staff members are leaving. Bama sites are saying Wiggins, Huff and the DB coach all have offers elsewhere right now as well...

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I got an invite last week for one tomorrow morning. I don't know where that qualifies me and what will be said, but if there's anything interesting that isn't expected to stay off the public boards, I'll try to post about it. 

Ya'll gonna get the "opportunity" to assist with recruiting efforts at The University of Texas lol.  I kid.....though part of me does have this vision of Sark doing his best impersonation of Huey Long, thanking ya'll for your kind donations in advance.

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I got an invite last week for one tomorrow morning. I don't know where that qualifies me and what will be said, but if there's anything interesting that isn't expected to stay off the public boards, I'll try to post about it. 

Are you planning on taking that zoom call from your car or from the driving range?

• Haha 3