The Cloak Room is a terrible place.

Parliament

So to recap.  We have several hundred posters who do not appreciate the anti-Trump rhetoric around all forums.  But none of the voted for him?  Or donated money to him?  Or bought any of his merch?  And we’re all just pretending like that’s totally believable?  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

So to recap.  We have several hundred posters who do not appreciate the anti-Trump rhetoric around all forums.  But none of the voted for him?  Or donated money to him?  Or bought any of his merch?  And we’re all just pretending like that’s totally believable?  

If you think that politics is this black/white then you really need to leave your echo chamber. Contently slaying strawmen is futile.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to somebody’s post recently, saw that the football board has 1.3 million posts, the CR board has 1.1 million posts, and DT has around 600 thousand posts. Could be somewhat wrong, but I doubt it.

But, embedded Twitter (perhaps embedded Thread) posts will become the new scapegoat for folks who don’t like specific content, I’m guessing.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Puncted

On 7/12/2023 at 6:18 AM, slorch said:

If not for the Realignment and Leftover threads, football would be getting smoked by CR.

#sarcasm, but not much

if we moved all the *TOTES NOT POLITICS* messages from the CRjr. boards, football would be getting smoked by CR

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, elfenix said:

if we moved all the *TOTES NOT POLITICS* messages from the CRjr. boards, football would be getting smoked by CR

Isn't that basically what happened to the COVID thread, a merge from DT to the CR? I think it's one of the longest threads on that board. 

• 2 months later...

I wonder who this could be.

Guest Mr. Lurker

Guest Mr. Lurker

It has been amazing to see how this community over a decade has gone from a diverse collection of opinions and rowdy debate to an extreme leftist pit of rabid foaming at the mouth cultists.  As such, I'd recommend you get funding from the CCP or NK to pay for your tailgate parties.  I think they'd pony up the cash to support all the great anti-American work this board does.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

It has been amazing to see how this community over a decade has gone from a diverse collection of opinions and rowdy debate to an extreme leftist pit of rabid foaming at the mouth cultists.  As such, I'd recommend you get funding from the CCP or NK to pay for your tailgate parties.  I think they'd pony up the cash to support all the great anti-American work this board does.

Speaking of, when is the next cabal meeting? I’ve been harvesting some fresh adrenchrome and want to make sure it is ready in time. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cactusflinthead said:

I wonder who this could be.

Guest Mr. Lurker

Guest Mr. Lurker

53 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

There are a couple “guests” on that thread with some crybaby takes. What pussies.

This cracked me up yesterday.  Imma, in good faith, starts a thread about "Hey, I need genuine feedback on ads and subscription options 'n shit so we can get this thing really humming along."  And three "different" posters immediately make it about them and how everything has to be so political, they are unfairly followed to other threads for neg repping, and exalt the ease with which they ignore posters they don't like and demonstrate as such by constantly telling us who they have on ignore and reply to posts they supposedly ignore.  Meanwhile Imma is like, "I just asked what mobile browser you were having issues with."  

I will say the CR is not as diverse as it used to be, that's a fair assessment.  In terms of political viewpoints.  Unfortunately for us, it's a lot more fact based...you can't just drive by and say "Greatest President Ever" and not be able to back it up.  But one thing I'll say for CR is it has gotten substantially funnier.  I laugh, and give our more funny reps in there than I do on Lulz.  Maybe it's just a coping mechanism for some of us who still don't really have a political home anymore.  And I post/read for myriad reasons depending on the topic and the day. 

But for the most part, I go there to commiserate with funny people and have a few laughs.  Meanwhile, the lurkers and posters bitching about all the posts from those on their ignore list remind me of Lt. Hauk, " Immamac, deep down inside....I know I'm funny."    

15 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

I probably agree with this. Trump Derangement Syndrome is magnitudes more legitimate than Bush Derangement Syndrome, and it is impossible to argue with never trumpers (in fact I am one). But this nullifies, in the eyes of the vast majority, any conservative talking point.  And bringing those up in CR will be so quickly ridiculed that it’s not even worth it. Now, in addition to Trump, politicians on the right are a buffet of clowns, but any genuine discourse is immediately stunted. 

To be clear, bringing up clown talking points will cause you to be ridiculed because of the clown nature of the talking points, and the fault for that lies with the clowns who made the talking points and the clowns who are looking for genuine discussion about clown talking points.

bernorange raised the point that it was not even worth trying to have real discussions in CR, I think one of his gold fetish thread got fairly serious responses in CR. He had a thread in DT about I don’t know what but got bent out of shape when it was pointed out that none of his sources were trustworthy. I think he is letting his emotions temper his perception of how even somewhat non-clown discourse is treated in CR, again outside of the case of repeat trolls.

(pulling from imammac’s discussion thread)

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

To be clear, bringing up clown talking points will cause you to be ridiculed because of the clown nature of the talking points, and the fault for that lies with the clowns who made the talking points and the clowns who are looking for genuine discussion about clown talking points.

bernorange raised the point that it was not even worth trying to have real discussions in CR, I think one of his gold fetish thread got fairly serious responses in CR. He had a thread in DT about I don’t know what but got bent out of shape when it was pointed out that none of his sources were trustworthy. I think he is letting his emotions temper his perception of how even somewhat non-clown discourse is treated in CR, again outside of the case of repeat trolls.

(pulling from imammac’s discussion thread)

I’m not sure why you felt it necessary to type the first paragraph. On the second, I don’t know bernorange. There is always someone to discredit another that is critical of CR. It is very much a left wing circle jerk that stifles any discussion that it doesn’t deem worthy. All points that its editorial board doesn’t agree with are clown talking points. Everyone not in this large mob has this same experience. 

You posted that you agreed with bernorange’s assessment that it is not worth coming into the CR with an opposing view because people aren’t interested in discourse or whatever. You then said that Trump and the politicians on the right are clowns, and nobody will engage with conservative talking points . What I was attempting to say in the first paragraph is that nobody will engage with clown talking points. In the second, I was talking about a moderately serious topic bernorange raised in CR where he got engagement and a silly topic he raised in DT where he was critical of engagement. Put more clearly in deference to Kent, I don’t think his assessment is accurate or consistent in his own behavior (which is a criticism of his argument).

Edited by Celery Man

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

This is a perfect summation. 

I think it's horribly unfair that you can't just drop in on CR and say Trump was the greatest President ever and anybody who doesn't love him is a triggered, woke snowflake without any evidence to support any of it.  It's just bullshit.  It's unfair.  

I'm happy to engage in real dialogue with real Republicans on the real fate of a real party looks like in real time.  But most here don't want to do that anymore.  In the meantime, I'm no Democrat but being painted as one by some of you dipshits cracks me up.  You just can't wrap your head around that while a bunch of you hitched your wagon to Commander Dipshit, voted for him in primaries, and donated money to him...that some of us decided to go another route (Johnson, Biden, totally independent, etc.).  The CR sucks.  Yes.  But most Trump voters suck worse.  Just come in with some modicum of evidence of why he's the greatest president ever.  But you can't, so you don't, and we won't, and here we are.  We have to go over this a few times per fucking year because you just don't fucking get it.  You broke for Trump's ballsack, the rest of us broke not for Democratic politics, but for the Republic.  And let's be honest, we all have have two things in common.  We're more educated, privileged, and connected than most political junkies in Texas.  And two-regardless of party or degree of Trump idolatry/vilification---we all knew where this was going back in 2016.  Just took us different timelines and routes to admit it. 

9 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I think it's horribly unfair that you can't just drop in on CR and say Trump was the greatest President ever and anybody who doesn't love him is a triggered, woke snowflake without any evidence to support any of it.  It's just bullshit.  It's unfair.  

nevermind the fact that LITERALLY no one says that.  It's just universally accused as the subtext of any post that isn't approved by the Leftist Thought Commisars. 

4 hours ago, Celery Man said:

You posted that you agreed with bernorange’s assessment that it is not worth coming into the CR with an opposing view because people aren’t interested in discourse or whatever. You then said that Trump and the politicians on the right are clowns, and nobody will engage with conservative talking points . What I was attempting to say in the first paragraph is that nobody will engage with clown talking points. In the second, I was talking about a moderately serious topic bernorange raised in CR where he got engagement and a silly topic he raised in DT where he was critical of engagement. Put more clearly in deference to Kent, I don’t think his assessment is accurate or consistent in his own behavior (which is a criticism of his argument).

Your first paragraph was obvious yet had a strange authoritative tone. I probably misread the tone, but it was still obvious.  Not every conservative talking point is a clown point. That should also be obvious. 

Again, I know nothing about bern. 

20 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Your first paragraph was obvious yet had a strange authoritative tone. I probably misread the tone, but it was still obvious.  Not every conservative talking point is a clown point. That should also be obvious. 

Again, I know nothing about bern. 

I used "you" there where "one" would have been better. I didn't mean you specifically. Tone. 

I think there are lots of legitimate conservative talking points to be made. As a party, the GOP is making none of those points, and almost universally the people who come in to the CR and find themselves being clowned are coming in with clown points rather than conservative points. I felt like you were very close to making that connection in your post and that is why I felt compelled to go ahead and draw the line from A to B. Apologies for tone.

I believe it would be enormously good if we lived in a world where people could make substantive arguments with one another about GOP positions vs dem/leftist/librul/etc positions. As a result of the positions that the GOP has decided to take, that is not the world we live in and it is not possible to do that. I think generally most CR posters agree with that.

• Hook 'Em 3