Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Skinner’s Dad: “I don’t give a fuck about NIL. What am I getting paid?!”

Shit, maybe Banks is dropping banks. Or crypto. Doubtful. They’re committing because someone is dropping something in their lap though. 

You seem much more plugged in than most. So what is the conversation Bo Davis and Banks are having with Sark right now? They all know how the games is played. Are they just pacing around their offices pissed off? I'm sure they're explicit about what they're up against.

Edited by Ricky Butler

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

39 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Shit, maybe Banks is dropping banks. Or crypto. Doubtful. They’re committing because someone is dropping something in their lap though. 

I mean, don’t tweet at croots but if someone happened to let him know that the Burnt ends were getting 10k+ yearly…

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

You seem much more plugged in than most. So what is the conversation Bo Davis and Banks are having with Sark right now? They all know how the games is played. Are they just pacing around their offices pissed off? I'm sure they're explicit about what they're up against.

It's not coaches who play the game, or not just coaches, you need the donors and men with the money to supply. Having the coaches means nothing if we don't have the men with money.

3 minutes ago, Viper said:

It's not coaches who play the game, or not just coaches, you need the donors and men with the money to supply. Having the coaches means nothing if we don't have the men with money.

Yeah, I understand that, but we have two coaches that are great recruiters and are probably annoyed how tough the sledding has been.

47 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Thank God for Bo Davis. Even if we don’t land Finkley, Davis is doing work. 

This is the recruiting thread. The only consistency is change. I sure as fuck hope things are better in 4 months. I don’t want to see posters I generally like attempting to rationalize shitty takes that will eventually have to play. 

Can he shock the board and get Arbor?

Just now, Poe It Up said:

Nick Harris from 247 was on Texas Football Talk and I listened to it for a bit. I’d post it here but it’s a depressing listen. Aggy leads for most of the recruits they mentioned. 

I'm assuming Dewberry and Perkins were two of the main ones talked about? Maybe Thompson? It's no secret Aggy leads for those guys. Dewberry and Perkins especially were never coming here.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

1 hour ago, Ricky Butler said:

Again, I'd hope the entire UT administration understood what competing in the SEC means. It makes no sense to join a league where cheating is the norm and then we don't cheat. Why would we willingly play poker with cheaters and then be surprised that we don't win but a few odd hands because we are not cheating?

Yes NIL is changing the equation but we suck at NIL. So let's rely on what's worked for decades in the SEC. Straight up pay motherfuckers under the table.

CTJ, please tell us we have the conviction to compete in the SEC because if we don't, then we fucking deserve the shit coming to us.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Again, I'd hope the entire UT administration understood what competing in the SEC means. It makes no sense to join a league where cheating is the norm and then we don't cheat. Why would we willingly play poker with cheaters and then be surprised that we don't win but a few odd hands because we are not cheating?

Yes NIL is changing the equation but we suck at NIL. So let's rely on what's worked for decades in the SEC. Straight up pay motherfuckers under the table.

CTJ, please tell us we have the conviction to compete in the SEC because if we don't, then we fucking deserve the shit coming to us.

We suck at the NIL..for now. Things can change and have been changing, being caught flat footed like this is embarrassing and extremely detrimental but it’s also given others a big sense of urgency in making sure it’s not going to be embarrassing long term. The NIL is the bag equalizer, Texas has to know that and utilize the tools at its disposal. Luckily for Texas, fans have realized this, it just doesn’t happen overnight.

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Perhaps, but I think you're not keeping 2 things in perspective:

1.) The creation of a death star NIL program takes time, possibly years if done right, and while failing at the small shit this cycle while not addressing the larger long term things at all, it is yet another step backwards while everyone else is moving forward aggressively. We'll be planting out tree a few years from now when other programs already have healthy saplings.
2.) Sure, Sark could be a coaching wizard and we string off a fuck ton of wins this fall. But the fact that we're forcing ourselves into that Lightning In A Bottle situation to HAVE to happen is unnecessary. We could be positioning ourselves better and are not, and without that amazing performance we're looking down the barrel of 3 sub-par recruiting classes. Again, that's a hole that takes time to dig out of...

It's not that we can't recover. It's not that we wont. It's just that we love to go out of our way making it harder than necessary and ensuring it will take longer than necessary. 

Imagine being an OU fan and saying this about Lincoln Riley's team. Oh wait, they would never say that winning a conference championship is catching lightning in a bottle. 

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Getting the game and infrastructure going would help with recruiting more than relying on winning IMO. It could be the short term gain while the long term is still getting setup with NIL as we drag ass.

I will tell you. Things are slow until they are not regarding Texas NIL. 

2 hours ago, elguapo said:

If anyone has a spare $30k laying around I volunteer to stuff it in a fast food bag and drop it off to the appropriate individual free of charge.

Stay tuned. 

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, immamac said:

Imagine being an OU fan and saying this about Lincoln Riley's team. Oh wait, they would never say that winning a conference championship is catching lightning in a bottle. 

What an absurd connection to make. You mean a school that's won 14 out of the last 20 conference championships across 2 different coaches, with coaching consistency and recruiting consistency according to their system(s) might have different expectations than a team that's won 2 conference titles in the last 20 years, is on it's 3rd head coach in the last five, and is currently on a downward recruiting trend? 

Why don't you fucking plug in Lincoln Riley with Nick Saban. Get the fuck out of here with that shit. 

46 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Profit > Results

We'll profit more in SEC.

Faction in athletic department thinks NIL will deter LHF donations. AKA money

If we don't 100% buy in to how things need to be then we will be relegated to the Vandy of the SEC West.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

28 minutes ago, immamac said:

I will tell you. Things are slow until they are not regarding Texas NIL. 

It will take both to correct this as quickly as possible and banking on NIL right now is not ideal. Yes it will be great if we get our heads out of our ass but until then the other method is much easier to accomplish and will show faster results.

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It’s reality. The more dipshits like you don’t believe it the worse we are going to be because your same attitude is found throughout the athletic administration and fans

Being Vandy if we don’t do this one thing is not ‘reality’. Seems much more like worst case scenario.

Edited by The Earl of Texas

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Oh no shit?  It isn’t darkest after the sun comes up?

Circumstances suck for us right now, we just need to make sure the guys we get are good enough to provide depth and a starter or two. We perform well and our circumstances will improve along with public perception. 

20 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

It’s always darkest before the dawn 

This is factually inaccurate.  Ceteris paribus (not accounting for artificial light sources and discounting the varying stages of the moon, which particularly affects the brightness of the night sky), the light produced by stars does not change at all during the night.

Believing it's darkest just before it's light isn't based on anything.  One could say it's coldest before sunrise but that's different.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

What an absurd connection to make. You mean a school that's won 14 out of the last 20 conference championships across 2 different coaches, with coaching consistency and recruiting consistency according to their system(s) might have different expectations than a team that's won 2 conference titles in the last 20 years, is on it's 3rd head coach in the last five, and is currently on a downward recruiting trend? 

Why don't you fucking plug in Lincoln Riley with Nick Saban. Get the fuck out of here with that shit. 

that's exactly the point I was making. You have whipped dog syndrome. There is no reason this can't be Texas starting this season, except some mental block in everyone's head about Texas not deserving it or something.

There is plenty of talent on the current roster, there is a much more competent staff put together top to bottom than there was last year and last year Texas was 13 points away from being undefeated.

There aren't a whole lot of things that need to happen "right" for Texas to win the conference, just like there aren't that many things that have to go right for Oklahoma. It helps when you have 4 and 5 star players to clown on inferior opponents with competent coaching. 

The one thing we agree on is now we are turbo fucked if Sark doesn't get shit right from here immediately. Like Charlie strong year 3 fucked. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

that's exactly the point I was making. You have whipped dog syndrome. There is no reason this can't be Texas starting this season, except some mental block in everyone's head about Texas not deserving it or something.

There is plenty of talent on the current roster, there is a much more competent staff put together top to bottom than there was last year and last year Texas was 13 points away from being undefeated.

There aren't a whole lot of things that need to happen "right" for Texas to win the conference, just like there aren't that many things that have to go right for Oklahoma. It helps when you have 4 and 5 star players to clown on inferior opponents with competent coaching. 

The one thing we agree on is now we are turbo fucked if Sark doesn't get shit right from here immediately. Like Charlie strong year 3 fucked. 

Yes. But the definition of lightning in a bottle is LITERALLY the concept of a rarity or unlikely set of events. Even if this were somehow the beginning of a historic Texas run, it's still a fucking unusual circumstance until it happens REPEATEDLY. So, yeah, that wasn't really the fucking point you were illustrating. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Yes. But the definition of lightning in a bottle is LITERALLY the concept of a rarity or unlikely set of events. Even if this were somehow the beginning of a historic Texas run, it's still a fucking unusual circumstance until it happens REPEATEDLY. So, yeah, that wasn't really the fucking point you were illustrating. 

so now OU doesn't suck? 

1 hour ago, Scholz said:

This is factually inaccurate.  Ceteris paribus (not accounting for artificial light sources and discounting the varying stages of the moon, which particularly affects the brightness of the night sky), the light produced by stars does not change at all during the night.

Believing it's darkest just before it's light isn't based on anything.  One could say it's coldest before sunrise but that's different.

I don’t believe you 

• Haha 3

Profit > Results

We'll profit more in SEC.

Faction in athletic department thinks NIL will deter LHF donations. AKA money

If we don't 100% buy in to how things need to be then we will be relegated to the Vandy of the SEC West.
So this faction in the AD thinks we can be the CFB equivalent of the Fightin' Jerry Joneses and continue raking in piles of money in spite of not winning jack shit?

Yeah, this will turn out just fine.

1 minute ago, ousux said:

So this faction in the AD thinks we can be the CFB equivalent of the Fightin' Jerry Joneses and continue raking in piles of money in spite of not winning jack shit?

Yeah, this will turn out just fine.

Highly successful athletic departments rarely change course on a dime. Highly successful organizations are often the least agile. We beat Stanford for the Directors Cup this year for the first time ever. Revenues are recovering post-COVID. 

While I don’t think your premise is wrong, I struggle to understand why the AD would make any changes whatsoever in the absence of Chrystal’s spine or a football AD. We know they should, competitive intrusion and all that, but what will make them? Anyone that has worked for Oracle, IBM, or Kodak when they were printing money understands this point perfectly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Do magnets next.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Chad Simmons on Skinner

The end is nearing for Jaleel Skinner, the No. 17-ranked player in the 2022 On300 rankings. The 6-foot-5, 210-pound 5-star out of Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy cut his list down to Alabama, Clemson, Florida State, Miami and Texas earlier this summer, and now he’s set his commitment date.

Skinner is set to commit Oct. 9.

“I have always wanted to commit with my family, and being at IMG Academy, it is a little different,” Skinner said. “Then you have COVID-19, so that makes it a little more difficult.

“I get to go home Oct. 8 (Skinner’s birthday), then on Oct. 9, I will announce my commitment with my family.”

Florida State will get official visit from Jaleel Skinner

Over the summer, official visits to Alabama, Miami and Texas were taken by Skinner. He has two left, and he knows one will come the weekend of Sept. 5.

He grew up a fan of Florida State, and he can’t wait to get back to Tallahassee.

“A lot of my family grew up liking Clemson because it was right there close to home, but my cousin and I loved Florida State,” Jaleel Skinner said. “I love their history, and I really loved the warchant as a kid. Getting back for this visit will be important.”

He has communication with most of the Florida State coaches, but the main three are tight ends coach Chris Thomsen, wide receivers coach Ron Dugans and offensive coordinator Kenny Dillingham.

They all make him feel important.

“I talk to most of them almost every day,” Skinner said. “Florida State has recruited me hard and they know my visit is important. They can’t wait for me to visit.”

Alabama, Clemson, Miami, Texas make Jaleel Skinner feel like a priority

Like Jaleel Skinner said about Florida State, the other four finalists make him feel important too. There is a consistent message from all five schools on his list, and they have made sure he knows it.

“‘We want you,’ is what every coaching staff says to me,” Jaleel Skinner said. “It is a great feeling. I have put a lot of work in to get here and achieve what I have achieved means a lot.

“Coaches from great schools telling me they want me means a lot and it gives me a lot to think about.”

Skinner grew up a Florida State fan and he has a strong connection to the coaches in Tallahassee. His feeling are strong for the Crimson Tide, Tigers, Hurricanes and Longhorns, too.

Skinner touched on why he is still considering those schools.

ALABAMA
“Alabama is Alabama and it is full of tradition. Coach Nick Saban is the coach that offered me for Alabama and that meant a lot. Me and my family felt great about that and they have made me feel important.

CLEMSON
“Clemson is very close to my house and a lot of my family love that school. They are putting together a great class, and I know a lot of guys in it. I know a lot of coaches at Clemson, so I am comfortable with them.”

MIAMI
“They have a great tradition at tight end. They use the tight end and they develop them, so that is big for me. I was not looking too hard at Miami until this summer, and now they are up there for me. I got close to the coaches, I met some players and I like what Miami is about.”

TEXAS
“I really think Texas has a great coaching staff about to start things this season. It is a little different there from the other schools on my list, but I like it. They have a lot of history and I really like coach (Jeff) Banks and coach (Steve) Sarkisian.”

There is still big question Jaleel Skinner needs answered

With a commitment date set for Oct. 9, most schools will have played at least four, maybe five games this season. That is important because Skinner’s mind is far from made up, and he will be watching.

“I want to see how the different schools use the tight end and how the offense looks,” Jaleel Skinner said. “Most of the schools on my list have some type of coaching change at my position or at the head coach position. I have talked to all the coaches about their offense and the use of tight end, so now I want to see it in games.

“I want to play in an offense that uses guys at my position and gets the ball to the tight ends. Seeing games in the early part of the season will be very important to me.”

That is a big part of his decision.

Skinner made it clear that all five schools have a shot at him, but there could be some type of order in his head.

“I kind of have an idea of where schools are at for me inside, but I definitely have not made my mind up. I talk to coaches every day and I Iove each school, so this season will show me a lot.

“The perfect match is what I am looking for. I have to fit that program. It is about the offense, who is there at tight end, who is coming in with this class, my relationship and I have to feel right. I am still searching for the fit.”

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting