Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

13 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Look, Mr. Geek Squad, I have my secretary print out these threads and then type up my handwritten replies, so all this gobbledygook you’re spewing doesn’t help me one bit.  

Furthermore, everyone needs to start posting “gifs” and “hudls” in printer friendly formats.  

54 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Man this thread is shitty. I wonder how lame of person you have to be to find this shit amusing. Taking this thread off topic stops being funny when y'all beat this shit into the ground. @immamac needs to clean this shit up.

bacdf3819077b0e4a619b60b3e1a6a45.jpg&f=1

17 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

Quick point of personal privilege, guys. Can we please keep the dart bowl chatter to a minimum? I’m one of the people who’s very, very prone to sensory overload in surly threads. It’s making it very difficult for me to focus. Please, I know we’re all fresh and ready to go, but can we please just keep the dart bowl chatter to a minimum?

christmas vacation GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Garrett Wilson's dad thought that Tom Herman was a complete asshole? Color no one on the recruiting subforum surprised. I'm sure Ohio State also helped reinforce the terrible reputation of Tom Herman as icing on that recruitment.

You must be talking about triggering @Longhorn94, the resident Lake Travis honk on the board.

Texas could have had Nick Saban and Wilson was still headed to Ohio State. Kid worshiped the Bucks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Had 5 manhattans at a happy hour and then my house the other night, wife wasn't pleased or hungry/cooking, so I needed something quick. The kids don't eat the Frito's that come in the chip variety packs. Hormel chili with spicy jalapeno sauce, a bag of frito's, and a pile of cheese later, bam!, my first Frito pie in a decade. Absolutely fucking delicious. Also, preemptively fuck all of the chili snobs - hormel is fine in a drunk pinch at 9:30 on a weekday.

My God, man. At least have Wolf Brand Chili if you are going with a store brand. 

And while we're on the subject, here's the GOAT bowling alley food

Highland Lanes & Lebowski's Grill, Austin, TX | The Impulsive Traveler Guy

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Had 5 manhattans at a happy hour and then my house the other night, wife wasn't pleased or hungry/cooking, so I needed something quick. The kids don't eat the Frito's that come in the chip variety packs. Hormel chili with spicy jalapeno sauce, a bag of frito's, and a pile of cheese later, bam!, my first Frito pie in a decade. Absolutely fucking delicious. Also, preemptively fuck all of the chili snobs - hormel is fine in a drunk pinch at 9:30 on a weekday.

AusTex was the chili brand in our house growing up.  Hormel became my chili of choice when I left Texas.  However, Wolf Brand is my choice these days because Hormel seems to be skimping on the meat.

Need I mention … NO FUCKING BEANS … EVER!

2 minutes ago, Sal said:

My God, man. At least have Wolf Brand Chili if you are going with a store brand. 

"Neighbor, how long's it been since you've had yourself a big bowl of Wolf Brand Chili? ... Well that's too long!"

Growing up poor with parents who tried had its culinary downsides - meatloaf, cheerios, chicken and dumplings, tons of fucking canned green beans and the like. But it had its upside as well. Hormel chili all the time, chicken fried steak/chicken, fried chicken, many stews, pot roasts, anything that could stretch for multiple meals for $4, hell fucking yes.

I've since eaten at some of the finest restaurants in the world. It's all fucking great except for the few things I named earlier, to me. Green beans of any sort are the fucking devil. I don't care what steakhouse or french place I'm at, if they have green beans on a plate as a "seasonal vegetable", especially after I've asked about what those involve and they didn't mention them, the whole fucking plate is going back - the only time I ever send something back. Ruins the taste of the whole damned plate. 

Yes, middle-aged man yells at cloud and such. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

AusTex was the chili brand in our house growing up.  Hormel became my chili of choice when I left Texas.  However, Wolf Brand is my choice these days because Hormel seems to be skimping on the meat.

Need I mention … NO FUCKING BEANS … EVER!

When you put beans in chili, then it is really just spaghetti from Cincinnati.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

14 minutes ago, Sal said:

1) I thought that you were a lawyer or sumtin’, can’t you afford STAGG CHILI?

If you’ve got to eat out of a can, STAGG is the only way to go.

2) I’m interested in hearing about that Hormel Heartburn/ Acid-Reflux.

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

"Neighbor, how long's it been since you've had yourself a big bowl of Wolf Brand Chili? ... Well that's too long!"

Growing up poor with parents who tried had its culinary downsides - meatloaf, cheerios, chicken and dumplings, tons of fucking canned green beans and the like. But it had its upside as well. Hormel chili all the time, chicken fried steak/chicken, fried chicken, many stews, pot roasts, anything that could stretch for multiple meals for $4, hell fucking yes.

I've since eaten at some of the finest restaurants in the world. It's all fucking great except for the few things I named earlier, to me. Green beans of any sort are the fucking devil. I don't care what steakhouse or french place I'm at, if they have green beans on a plate as a "seasonal vegetable", especially after I've asked about what those involve and they didn't mention them, the whole fucking plate is going back - the only time I ever send something back. Ruins the taste of the whole damned plate. 

That's true though. They can execute a perfect filet and then serve it with a side of crunchy, cold green beans. What a joke 

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This may be ignorant on my part because I don't go in depth reviewing the published analytics the way many do here, but these data points seem so biased this early in the year.

Specifically, Baylor went apeshit against a bad FCS team in TSU and then again against one of the worst P5 teams in CFB in Kansas. So without that context, their offense looks high powered. Having watched them only against Iowa State, I wasn't impressed with their offense at all. They won that game due to timely special teams play and Brock Purdy appearing to have no interest in winning. In fact, the offense looked pedestrian.

Think about the Texas defensive numbers in the context of D'shawn Jamison shitting himself on two plays each going for 69+ yards and a score. You take a bad game for the defense against Arkansas and then garbage work by Tech and the picture after 4 games looks grim. Similarly, Tech's offense looks pretty good in these statistics and what we witnessed on Saturday looks like a 4-8 team. I figure they're beating Kansas, losing to everyone else, and Wells will have his weak ass fired and thrown out on the street by December. 

I guess time will tell. Or you guys will tell me that these numbers adjust for strength of opponent or something. 

It does exclude garbage time stats but he also usually updates them to be only b12 games, it's just too early in the season for that obviously. Just sharing in general. Looking at things on a per play or per drive standpoint is way better than just end of game stats especially when ignoring garbage time.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I ate a ton of Wolf Brand Chilli Frito pies when I baching it, so no chilli snobbery from me!

57 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Now wait a dang minute....what in the wide wide wide world of sports is wrong with Meatloaf, Chicken and dumplings, and canned green beans?  Del Monte makes some dang good green beans...just stay away from the french cut ones and remember to add some canola oil to the pot.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Scholz said:

#8 chili burger with choc milkshake please

o.jpg

Last time I was at MD&B’s was with GF, now Wife (of almost 20yrs🤯)- Anyway, we’re eating our burgers and she’s sitting facing the drag and I’m opposite her. All of the sudden, her mouth drops open and I’m like “wth, are you going to hurl?” She then points to the street. There’s a chick riding down 24th on a 10 speed, wearing black converse Chuck Taylor’s and a pair of Texas Flag running shorts. That’s it. No shirt. No sport bra. Titties free and dangling. 
I just quipped, “well, she’s definitely keeping Austin weird”

Edited by NTVTXN
I Kant spel
  • Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Now wait a dang minute....what in the wide wide wide world of sports is wrong with Meatloaf, Chicken and dumplings, and canned green beans?  Del Monte makes some dang good green beans...just stay away from the french cut ones and remember to add some canola oil to the pot.

TIL I was poor growing up. (not saying you're wrong though, I was probably upper poor/lower middle class but it's hard to look back and know for sure)

Edited by Viper

Frito pie is one meal that is always delicious. Maybe especially when drunk, but it's never a wrong answer. Now the aftermath...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

I love it too but heavily dislike when some nice-ish restaurant tries to make it too upscale.  Give me some fucking grease or go home.

Well I can say that about most things---burgers, deconstructed drinks, reimagined food, whatever crap the new york times tried to put in guacamole, New Mexico Enchiladas,  fresh mex in general.......

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Fug said:

:/

51FAF5D3-8B66-4F02-A0E8-352B2DA2F834.jpeg

Read the article and it doesn't really sound like a difference maker. Nike and the names are cool but it's just another group advising athletes on how to build their brand and make money off their NIL. Same shit as leverage. And honestly I'd bet the athletes are kind of burnt out on all the presentations and trainings they get about that stuff. 

The stuff that I think will really make a difference are initiatives like Burnt Endz, the UWM deal at Michigan State ($500/month for every football and basketball player to promote UWM on social media), and some of the other stuff being worked on here at Texas

Spoilered article 

Spoiler

Today, several alumni and prominent University of Oregon donors, including NIKE co-founder Phil Knight, Pat Kilkenny, Ed Maletis, Jim Morse, and the Papé Family are announcing the formation of Division Street, Inc., a sport venture that will assist Oregon student athletes in monetizing their NIL.

Former VP and GM of NIKE Women NKE -0.5%, Rosemary St. Clair, will serve as the CEO of the new entity, with former NIKE VP of Sports Marketing Rudy Chapa will serve as Chairman of the Board.

“Student-athletes have a full plate, and figuring out how to monetize their brands is an incredible challenge,” said St. Clair. “Our team has spent decades building the brands of the world’s best athletes, and we will use that experience to elevate NIL opportunities by bringing in leading expertise across brand, marketing, sponsorship, digital and creative to support all Oregon student-athletes, inclusive of every sport and across gender.”

Former Oregon women’s basketball star Sabrina Ionescu, and the No. 1 pick of the 2020 WNBA Draft, will serve as Chief Athlete Officer. In this role, she will serve as a senior advisor to the Division Street team to ensure the voice of the athlete is at the center of all the company’s work. Additionally, she will share her knowledge as a high-profile athlete with a growing portfolio of top-tier partnerships with Oregon student athletes through quarterly seminars.

“As an athlete navigating the world of brand and partnerships myself, I see a real opportunity to provide today’s college players more professional counsel as they grapple with the new NIL landscape,” Ionescu said. “I’m excited that Division Street also sees that need and is bringing together an all-star team to address this for Oregon. I’m also very passionate about ensuring diversity in gender and sport, and that will be part of my focus in this new role.”

Ionescu fits in with the athlete-centric approach Division Street plans to keep at the center of its mission.

“We have decades of experience building brands for athletes, and the key to that work has always been one thing – putting the athlete at the center. By putting the athlete at the center and getting to know their stories, their values, their interests and their personalities, we can create personalized plans that match them with opportunities that are a perfect fit.”

Asked for her best advice for student athletes, Ionescu encouraged them to think beyond the dollar value of a transaction.

“My biggest piece of advice is to think big picture and not make decisions based solely on money. Money should be a factor in the decision, but so should shared values, working relationships, and the impact you want to make. It’s a lot for a student-athlete to consider on their own, which is exactly why I joined the Division Street team.”

So, what’s her advice for how student athletes should be vetting brands to ensure they’re a good fit?

“Write down your goals, what’s important to you and areas you’re interested in. Once you have those parameters, you can better evaluate if brands align with you and are the right fit for your own personal brand. The team at Division Street has experience building the brands of the world’s best athletes for decades, so bringing that experience to this is going to be incredible.”

Obviously, student athletes also have to figure out how to balance their new NIL activities with school and their sport.

“You have to remember education and competing as an athlete are your first priority so that needs to be your focus,” said Ionescu. “Division Street is going to be an amazing resource in freeing up student-athletes to focus on what’s most important without sacrificing opportunities to take advantage of NIL.”

The Division Street team will also include Adopt, a minority-owned brand and creative company focused on athletes and sport recently co-founded by Klutch Sports Group founder and CEO Rich Paul. Adopt co-founders and former NIKE and Jordan Brand executives Nicole Graham, David Creech and Josh Moore will bring their decades of experience in branding, marketing, creative and digital to the team. Adopt has also hired former Oregon wide receive and Jordan Brand executive Garren Strong to join the squad.

Asked how student athletes can leverage the platform and attention being a student athlete provides to put themselves in the best position to pursue goals after graduation, St. Clair said access to the team Division Street has assembled is key.

“To truly build their brands to help them prepare for what’s next, they need access to professional counsel across brand, marketing, sponsorship, digital and creative to ensure they get real value. That’s why we’re here.”

Division Street is also partnering with the University of Oregon’s Warsaw Sports Marketing Center and School of Journalism and Communication, as part of the Sport and Wellness Initiative, and their newly formed Oregon Accelerator. The accelerator is a first-of-its-kind, full-service, student-led marketing and branding collective that will focus on maximizing the name, image and likeness earning potential for the University of Oregon’s 500+ student-athletes.

3 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Read the article and it doesn't really sound like a difference maker. Nike and the names are cool but it's just another group advising athletes on how to build their brand and make money off their NIL. Same shit as leverage. And honestly I'd bet the athletes are kind of burnt out on all the presentations and trainings they get about that stuff. 

The stuff that I think will really make a difference are initiatives like Burnt Endz, the UWM deal at Michigan State ($500/month for every football and basketball player to promote UWM on social media), and some of the other stuff being worked on here at Texas

Spoilered article 

Reveal hidden contents

Today, several alumni and prominent University of Oregon donors, including NIKE co-founder Phil Knight, Pat Kilkenny, Ed Maletis, Jim Morse, and the Papé Family are announcing the formation of Division Street, Inc., a sport venture that will assist Oregon student athletes in monetizing their NIL.

Former VP and GM of NIKE Women NKE -0.5%, Rosemary St. Clair, will serve as the CEO of the new entity, with former NIKE VP of Sports Marketing Rudy Chapa will serve as Chairman of the Board.

“Student-athletes have a full plate, and figuring out how to monetize their brands is an incredible challenge,” said St. Clair. “Our team has spent decades building the brands of the world’s best athletes, and we will use that experience to elevate NIL opportunities by bringing in leading expertise across brand, marketing, sponsorship, digital and creative to support all Oregon student-athletes, inclusive of every sport and across gender.”

Former Oregon women’s basketball star Sabrina Ionescu, and the No. 1 pick of the 2020 WNBA Draft, will serve as Chief Athlete Officer. In this role, she will serve as a senior advisor to the Division Street team to ensure the voice of the athlete is at the center of all the company’s work. Additionally, she will share her knowledge as a high-profile athlete with a growing portfolio of top-tier partnerships with Oregon student athletes through quarterly seminars.

“As an athlete navigating the world of brand and partnerships myself, I see a real opportunity to provide today’s college players more professional counsel as they grapple with the new NIL landscape,” Ionescu said. “I’m excited that Division Street also sees that need and is bringing together an all-star team to address this for Oregon. I’m also very passionate about ensuring diversity in gender and sport, and that will be part of my focus in this new role.”

Ionescu fits in with the athlete-centric approach Division Street plans to keep at the center of its mission.

“We have decades of experience building brands for athletes, and the key to that work has always been one thing – putting the athlete at the center. By putting the athlete at the center and getting to know their stories, their values, their interests and their personalities, we can create personalized plans that match them with opportunities that are a perfect fit.”

Asked for her best advice for student athletes, Ionescu encouraged them to think beyond the dollar value of a transaction.

“My biggest piece of advice is to think big picture and not make decisions based solely on money. Money should be a factor in the decision, but so should shared values, working relationships, and the impact you want to make. It’s a lot for a student-athlete to consider on their own, which is exactly why I joined the Division Street team.”

So, what’s her advice for how student athletes should be vetting brands to ensure they’re a good fit?

“Write down your goals, what’s important to you and areas you’re interested in. Once you have those parameters, you can better evaluate if brands align with you and are the right fit for your own personal brand. The team at Division Street has experience building the brands of the world’s best athletes for decades, so bringing that experience to this is going to be incredible.”

Obviously, student athletes also have to figure out how to balance their new NIL activities with school and their sport.

“You have to remember education and competing as an athlete are your first priority so that needs to be your focus,” said Ionescu. “Division Street is going to be an amazing resource in freeing up student-athletes to focus on what’s most important without sacrificing opportunities to take advantage of NIL.”

The Division Street team will also include Adopt, a minority-owned brand and creative company focused on athletes and sport recently co-founded by Klutch Sports Group founder and CEO Rich Paul. Adopt co-founders and former NIKE and Jordan Brand executives Nicole Graham, David Creech and Josh Moore will bring their decades of experience in branding, marketing, creative and digital to the team. Adopt has also hired former Oregon wide receive and Jordan Brand executive Garren Strong to join the squad.

Asked how student athletes can leverage the platform and attention being a student athlete provides to put themselves in the best position to pursue goals after graduation, St. Clair said access to the team Division Street has assembled is key.

“To truly build their brands to help them prepare for what’s next, they need access to professional counsel across brand, marketing, sponsorship, digital and creative to ensure they get real value. That’s why we’re here.”

Division Street is also partnering with the University of Oregon’s Warsaw Sports Marketing Center and School of Journalism and Communication, as part of the Sport and Wellness Initiative, and their newly formed Oregon Accelerator. The accelerator is a first-of-its-kind, full-service, student-led marketing and branding collective that will focus on maximizing the name, image and likeness earning potential for the University of Oregon’s 500+ student-athletes.

HtownHorn, is that you?

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting