Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

7 minutes ago, Aslan24 said:

I saw a lot of people in this thread giving Sark an awfully hard time about using a final visit after Banks said he was going to push his decision to February...

We hadn’t seen the all out press from him yet, reasonable skepticism. That said, prove us the fuck wrong Sarknado

• Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

We hadn’t seen the all out press from him yet, reasonable skepticism. That said, prove us the fuck wrong Sarknado

I think Sark has always had a strong reputation as a recruiter. Especially with the in home visit. I’d assumed he’s gotten better at it since spending time with Saban. I guess many just assumed he recruited down the stretch like he coached in the second half lol

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom

I think 2 coaches have been less involved than the others down the stretch of the recruiting season: Gideon and Choate.

If Gary Patterson is taking an on field position then he will most likely coach safeties. I don't feel as if we have any recruits who Gideon would need to be on staff to land (like Joseph chasing Harris and Brooks). Anderson would be the one exception, but Patterson, I would think, would only help there. And we just had the majority of our safeties transfer. So speculating on the defensive staff:

DC/S: Gary Patterson

Co-DC/OLB: Pete Kwiatkowski

CB: Joseph

DL: Bo Davis

Is there a badass linebackers coach who is a recruiting witch with ties to Sark? Or that is caught up in all the coaching changes?

This looks like a very good defensive staff, if it happens. Pure speculation on my part.

Still think we need to add Moffitt to the staff. Need more toughness in the program (Patterson helps). Some Bluebloods are going to two S&C coaches anyway

5 hours ago, Aslan24 said:

I saw a lot of people in this thread giving Sark an awfully hard time about using a final visit after Banks said he was going to push his decision to February...

I’m one. He hasn’t closed anyone yet and had actually whiffed several opportunities. If tomorrow goes like it looks, I’m fucking thrilled to be wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Been sitting here thinking, I know, that's dangerous but need to post this. There have been a number of people bash Sark over the last few months, much most deserved. It's my thought that I would let this recruiting cycle play out before I jumped to any conclusions about his tenure. The way things are progressing with recent rumors and events, he could actually flip this thing around. If the rumors come to fruition and we land a great recruiting class, it could result in a phenomenal portal class as well. This roster could be totally different than it was. We've already seen a number of dead weight roster spots cleared out and could see more. Looks pretty good at the moment.

With the NIL stuff coming to fruition in recent days(thanks to those who played a part) this could be the turning point in the program. Granted, Sark has seen numerous coaching changes play in his favor. I was just thinking about what Sark might be pitching to these recruits and potential transfers and it could be a pretty good vision. I would ask these aggy recruits "what has Aggie ever done? What has Texas done in historic comparison. Do you like money and prestige? Well, we have more. Do you want to be a part of returning The University of Texas to glory? Do you want to ride the pine at Alabama for 2 years or do you want to play now? Look, with NIL, RGBIII may have said it best, we are building the Death Star. Do you want to be on the biggest baddest battle station in the galaxy or a sheep herder on Alderaan? That's what is possible. Theoretically you could actually build something like the Death Star in real life but I don't see a Jedi walking through the door to destroy it.

• Hook 'Em 5

37 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m one. He hasn’t closed anyone yet and had actually whiffed several opportunities. If tomorrow goes like it looks, I’m fucking thrilled to be wrong. 

He closed on X worthy which was a home run. That was the only recruit he has had an opportunity to close as he hasn't had a cycle end yet. Getting a commitment isn't the same as having the kid sign a NLI and enroll.  I do understand your sentiment though.

Edited by Longhornlove
  • Hook 'Em 3

Sark got his ass kicked on recruiting trail during summer, he got his ass kicked during the season so he deserves the bashing. If he closes out strong then we should praise him but it doesn’t excuse summer when he could have locked these recruitments down and it doesn’t excuse 5-7 and losing to Kansas. 

• Hook 'Em 7

14 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Sark got his ass kicked on recruiting trail during summer, he got his ass kicked during the season so he deserves the bashing. If he closes out strong then we should praise him but it doesn’t excuse summer when he could have locked these recruitments down and it doesn’t excuse 5-7 and losing to Kansas. 

I don’t think we can blame Sark for recruiting failures up to this point if everyone has been paying big-time money except Texas. He’s an easy scapegoat for fans who want to use him as a punching bag despite the problem having been on a much larger scale for a long time. As far as the season goes, he deserves a significant portion of the blame.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?height=476&href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fgolfpow1%2Fvideos%2F1560906514018946%2F&show_text=false&width=380&t=0" width="380" height="476" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Big, if true.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Big fucking weekend isn’t it?  Like, definitely will define his tenure and give him a chance to get this program rolling and be the guy for a long time of be a dead man walking. Fascinating that it’s so clear to everyone who pays any attention before bowl season of year 1. 

5 hours ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

I think 2 coaches have been less involved than the others down the stretch of the recruiting season: Gideon and Choate.

If Gary Patterson is taking an on field position then he will most likely coach safeties. I don't feel as if we have any recruits who Gideon would need to be on staff to land (like Joseph chasing Harris and Brooks). Anderson would be the one exception, but Patterson, I would think, would only help there. And we just had the majority of our safeties transfer. So speculating on the defensive staff:

DC/S: Gary Patterson

Co-DC/OLB: Pete Kwiatkowski

CB: Joseph

DL: Bo Davis

Is there a badass linebackers coach who is a recruiting witch with ties to Sark? Or that is caught up in all the coaching changes?

This looks like a very good defensive staff, if it happens. Pure speculation on my part.

Still think we need to add Moffitt to the staff. Need more toughness in the program (Patterson helps). Some Bluebloods are going to two S&C coaches anyway

Tosh Lupoi. But he doesn’t seem to want to come back to college. 

1 hour ago, Longhornlove said:

He closed on X worthy which was a home run. That was the only recruit he has had an opportunity to close as he hasn't had a cycle end yet. Getting a commitment isn't the same as having the kid sign a NLI and enroll.  I do understand your sentiment though.

He did get worthy, but that was as much off the moribund feeling around Michigan’s offense and Harbaugh as it was anything. And just like we’re taking huge advantage over everything seemingly breaking in our favor, I’ll happily take it. But pretending it was just one man and not also the field is absurd. How does this class look if Ewers sticks at Ohio St? If Cristobal sticks at Oregon? I’ll take it, but let’s forget key context as we go writing the narrative. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

He did get worthy, but that was as much off the moribund feeling around Michigan’s offense and Harbaugh as it was anything. And just like we’re taking huge advantage over everything seemingly breaking in our favor, I’ll happily take it. But pretending it was just one man and not also the field is absurd. How does this class lol if Ewers sticks at Ohio St? If Cristobal sticks at Oregon? I’ll take it, but let’s forget key context as we go writing the narrative. 

No doubt. Sark has had a shit ton of good fortune in recent days. At least he attempting to turn all this good fortune into something tangible.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

He did get worthy, but that was as much off the moribund feeling around Michigan’s offense and Harbaugh as it was anything. And just like we’re taking huge advantage over everything seemingly breaking in our favor, I’ll happily take it. But pretending it was just one man and not also the field is absurd. How does this class lol if Ewers sticks at Ohio St? If Cristobal sticks at Oregon? I’ll take it, but let’s forget key context as we go writing the narrative. 

I don't forget Mike Stoops, but I'll take what we can get here.  And it seems lke it could be a lot.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

BobbyBurton

If you didn’t check Inside Texas last night, you missed some fun.

The family of Humble Summer Creek five-star offensive lineman Kelvin Banks Jr. hosted Steve Sarkisian and other key members of the Texas staff.

A few minutes after the visit was over, Banks announced via Twitter that he plans to make an announcement on Saturday at 1pm.

What does it mean?

Well, if you’ve followed Banks’ recruitment, the general population and reporters elsewhere would think it could mean just about anything, especially a list of a top three schools or something like that.

However, Eric Nahlin and Gerry Hamilton aren’t the general population.

And both of them have been saying that Texas remains in a strong position, and to not rule out Banks opting to sign on Wednesday. Yet every other reporter kept saying Banks would wait until February.

No other reporters stuck to their guns like Hamilton and Nahlin, nor did those reporters have the insight.

For someone who has been covering recruiting for 30 years, it was interesting to watch it all transpire.

And for Texas fans more specifically, Banks could be that first domino to fall, one the Horns fans need to start a possible recruiting avalanche.

But that wasn’t all you missed.

It was reported that A&M defensive coordinator Mike Elko will be the next head coach at Duke.

That’s not good for Aggie fans nor for the Aggie recruiting class. I don’t know how much attrition the class will suffer but we are monitoring several possibilities.

We will likely have more news on that front today and tomorrow.

Also hosting an in-home visit from Steve Sarkisian and staff last night was the family of North Shore cornerback Denver Harris.

Harris is expected to choose between Texas and A&M either this weekend or early next week.

From what IT has been told, the visit went extremely well.

Of course, much of that news leads us to today.

With Banks expected to decide at 1pm, the focus will be on the visit of quarterback Quinn Ewers, the former Southlake signal-caller who is transferring from Ohio State after one semester.

The no. 1 player in the nation as a high school junior before electing to forego his senior season, Ewers grew up a Longhorn fan. And he is expected to pick between Texas and Texas Tech.

When will Ewers announce a decision?

We don’t know. But that’s another domino that should fall soon.

One other key possibility also occurred last night.

Ohio State freshman corner Ryan Watts elected to enter the transfer portal.

IT is told that Texas is expected to pursue Watts and thought to be an early favorite to land him.

Texas is hosting a couple of official visitors this weekend, as well as some class of 2022 commitments, some key 2023 prospects and of course, Ewers.

Please stay tuned to IT for updates all weekend long.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting