Critical Race Theory policy in hiring at UT

PHLaggie

aggy saying she was a “bad leader” is all you need to know. They seriously want A&M to be like that radical conservative college in Florida. 

It’s time to start informing their Black athletes and recruits. I’ll be Lane and Deion would help with this.

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

aggy saying she was a “bad leader” is all you need to know. They seriously want A&M to be like that radical conservative college in Florida. 

It’s time to start informing their Black athletes and recruits. I’ll be Lane and Deion would help with this.

Texags wants to go full blown nazi youth academy 

• Like 1

None of that surprises me.

Snowflake junior member of the Federalist Society narcs to her mom, who rushes to call her buddy Dan Patrick, who immediately issues mafioso threat to John Sharp.  John Sharp immediately complies, lest Abbott forces the regents he picked to replace him. 

I just cannot wait to be in the same conference again as these yokels. Might as well just burn our diplomas for warmth during the next freeze 

Our current Big 12 compadres ain’t the most liberal/enlightened universities in the land either.

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Their analysis to follow his different online personas is impressive. Just imagine what they were unable to uncover based on their limited knowledge of his personal, school and work email accounts. Need to sic these reporters on a few surly posters. Might uncover that the DT political threads are just 3 people talking to each other with dozens of accounts.

• 2 months later...

Not only are they admitting CRT is really nothing and their goal was to make it something (and they succeeded) but they are showing us the playbook going forward. Will media and the Dems just sit around and hope Americans won’t fall for it or will they be active (and proactive) in dismantling this indoctrination?

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2024/01/20/us/dei-woke-claremont-institute.html?unlocked_article_code=1.Pk0.oTZY.mFk7JBZgsv70&smid=url-share

Gifted (no-paywall) article on how the grifters grifted dumb conservatives with anti-woke scaremongering:

“Bans on CRT and its associated ideologies are a lot of smoke for the bubbas”  - Scott Yenor, Claremont Instutute

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

So, was trying to find an appropriate thread for this post, which is about an observation on the plain and obvious lasting nature of institutional racism, and how it places minorities behind the curve for generations.

I was recently at an event honoring some of the great black lawyers in Central Texas.  It's not the first one I've been to, but as I read the bios of these folks -- truly outstanding lawyers, all of them, people who went to top-notch schools (mostly in the north, by the way), had notable achievements academically, etc. -- it clicked that most of them that I've read over those years involve long terms of working as a government lawyer.  Not all of them, but almost all, started their careers as government attorneys.  

Those jobs are fine jobs, and a much needed and appreciated public service.  But make no mistake, if a student graduates today from Michigan, or Stanford, etc., with honors, they have a clear path to a job with a high-end law firm that pays 5X what an entry level gov't attorney job pays.  But back when these folks were graduating law school - the 70s-80s - that was not the case.

So, until up to about 30 years ago (and let's be plain and clear, the way isn't entirely clear even today), that top-notch black law student had a much harder time even getting in the door of Fancy Law Firm LLP.  And even if he/she did, remember that the lawyers at Fancy Law Firm LLP all went to the same schools together, their parents went to the same schools, and a good chunk of them were hired because 1) yes, they did well in law school, but also 2) their dad was friends/business associate with the hiring partner, who vouched for them and walked them right into their job.  The black law students?  Their dad did NOT go to school with or associate with the hiring partner, because that simply did not happen back in the day.

A generic high achieving white student, with no connections, was already more likely to get an interview and be hired than an identical black student.  Then layer on the fact that many of those white students ALSO had generational family connections that could give them a leg up in the job application process...a leg up that few black students had.  Now, take that out another generation.  The parents of today's black students are STILL underrepresented in the ranks the Fancy Law Firm LLP type places, as well as the people who network with and are connected to the attorneys there.  So a black student even today likely has fewer connections and advantages to help him get that job at Fancy Law Firm LLP.

So, why are DELIBERATE efforts to recruit diverse candidates important?  Because the long-term effects of systemic, institutionalized racism STILL skew the playing field, and make it more likely that white candidate X can get a particular job than black candidate Y.   In order to try to level that field, we need to DELIBERATELY LOOK FOR AND TO minority candidates.  No, not without making sure that they are qualified.  But to make sure that they aren't missed.  The Hiring Partner at Fancy Law Firm LLP gets 20 resumes sent to him by old connections, pushing their kid, or their nephew, or whatnot.  What would be helpful is if Hiring Partner ALSO had a policy/incentive/something like that to affirmatively gather 20 resumes from minority students who do NOT have connections to Fancy Law Firm LLP.  Then, you interview and hire appropriately, and honestly.  Because honestly....some of those nepotism resumes may have a nice academic ring to them, but the candidate is a dim bulb or dud.  And some of those minority resumes are going to belong to some impressive SOBs who you never would have met if you hadn't sought them out.

That dynamic is what DEI and such is all about.  And is it needed?  I'd say the resumes of impressive minority lawyer after impressive minority lawyer reflecting long tenures in government jobs says "yes, it is still needed."  Legacies, connections, and nepotism matter.  A lot.  DEI is necessary to even come close to creating equal opportunity in light of the unequal distribution of those advantages.

• Hook 'Em 9
  • Fuck You 1

15 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I saw Mayor Woodfin's (of Birmingham) comments regarding Alabama and I don't know the logistics of his idea but I support it.

I think you’re gonna see more of that closer to home.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Who here remembers that multi-cultural (black) room when you enter Jester East on the south side, I believe it was, next to the cafeteria?

In the late 90's we weren't as progressive as we are now and I remember feeling like that was weird, but they seemed to like it. I had a black friend from h.s. who hung out in there all day it seemed, and we grew apart as he grew closer to others in that multi-cultural space, so I guess it worked out well for him. 

I am assuming that those sort of enclaves are shuttered with the new anti-DEI legislation?

21 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

So, was trying to find an appropriate thread for this post, which is about an observation on the plain and obvious lasting nature of institutional racism, and how it places minorities behind the curve for generations.

I was recently at an event honoring some of the great black lawyers in Central Texas.  It's not the first one I've been to, but as I read the bios of these folks -- truly outstanding lawyers, all of them, people who went to top-notch schools (mostly in the north, by the way), had notable achievements academically, etc. -- it clicked that most of them that I've read over those years involve long terms of working as a government lawyer.  Not all of them, but almost all, started their careers as government attorneys.  

Those jobs are fine jobs, and a much needed and appreciated public service.  But make no mistake, if a student graduates today from Michigan, or Stanford, etc., with honors, they have a clear path to a job with a high-end law firm that pays 5X what an entry level gov't attorney job pays.  But back when these folks were graduating law school - the 70s-80s - that was not the case.

So, until up to about 30 years ago (and let's be plain and clear, the way isn't entirely clear even today), that top-notch black law student had a much harder time even getting in the door of Fancy Law Firm LLP.  And even if he/she did, remember that the lawyers at Fancy Law Firm LLP all went to the same schools together, their parents went to the same schools, and a good chunk of them were hired because 1) yes, they did well in law school, but also 2) their dad was friends/business associate with the hiring partner, who vouched for them and walked them right into their job.  The black law students?  Their dad did NOT go to school with or associate with the hiring partner, because that simply did not happen back in the day.

A generic high achieving white student, with no connections, was already more likely to get an interview and be hired than an identical black student.  Then layer on the fact that many of those white students ALSO had generational family connections that could give them a leg up in the job application process...a leg up that few black students had.  Now, take that out another generation.  The parents of today's black students are STILL underrepresented in the ranks the Fancy Law Firm LLP type places, as well as the people who network with and are connected to the attorneys there.  So a black student even today likely has fewer connections and advantages to help him get that job at Fancy Law Firm LLP.

So, why are DELIBERATE efforts to recruit diverse candidates important?  Because the long-term effects of systemic, institutionalized racism STILL skew the playing field, and make it more likely that white candidate X can get a particular job than black candidate Y.   In order to try to level that field, we need to DELIBERATELY LOOK FOR AND TO minority candidates.  No, not without making sure that they are qualified.  But to make sure that they aren't missed.  The Hiring Partner at Fancy Law Firm LLP gets 20 resumes sent to him by old connections, pushing their kid, or their nephew, or whatnot.  What would be helpful is if Hiring Partner ALSO had a policy/incentive/something like that to affirmatively gather 20 resumes from minority students who do NOT have connections to Fancy Law Firm LLP.  Then, you interview and hire appropriately, and honestly.  Because honestly....some of those nepotism resumes may have a nice academic ring to them, but the candidate is a dim bulb or dud.  And some of those minority resumes are going to belong to some impressive SOBs who you never would have met if you hadn't sought them out.

That dynamic is what DEI and such is all about.  And is it needed?  I'd say the resumes of impressive minority lawyer after impressive minority lawyer reflecting long tenures in government jobs says "yes, it is still needed."  Legacies, connections, and nepotism matter.  A lot.  DEI is necessary to even come close to creating equal opportunity in light of the unequal distribution of those advantages.

Go read any bio on Clarence Thomas and you see this exact thread play out. Of course his experiences turned him into a troll, but much of what you noted here, and the resulting bitterness fomented his ideology.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, BeardIP said:

Who here remembers that multi-cultural (black) room when you enter Jester East on the south side, I believe it was, next to the cafeteria?

In the late 90's we weren't as progressive as we are now and I remember feeling like that was weird, but they seemed to like it. I had a black friend from h.s. who hung out in there all day it seemed, and we grew apart as he grew closer to others in that multi-cultural space, so I guess it worked out well for him. 

I am assuming that those sort of enclaves are shuttered with the new anti-DEI legislation?

You're supposed to brag about having a black friend, not having had one. Bragging that you used to be less racist is a weird flex.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 5
  • Prepare your anus 1

22 minutes ago, softlynow said:

You're supposed to brag about having a black friend, not having had one. Bragging that you used to be less racist is a weird flex.

Including you, aggie08 and panchochatbot, I have like 39 active black friends. Some are inactive I'm trying to win back. I keep a spreadsheet and am trying to grow my active user base.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

Just now, BeardIP said:

Including you, aggie08 and panchochatbot, I have like 39 active black friends. Some are inactive I'm trying to win back. I keep a spreadsheet and am trying to grow my active user base.

What's your incentive structure? Are you valuing growth versus substance? 

• Fuck You 1

Since the first black student was admitted to UT in 1956, black enrollment has exploded to 4.3% 68 years later. It’s as bad at other P5 publics in Texas,, which btw is home to the largest number of black people in the country.

• Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

I was unaware that I'm black. Cool. My wife will be pleased to know.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

22 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

In order to try to level that field, we need to DELIBERATELY LOOK FOR AND TO minority candidates.  No, not without making sure that they are qualified.  But to make sure that they aren't missed. 

I don't disagree with a lot of what you wrote.  But as it relates to large law firms specifically which is generally the context of your post, I'm pretty confident "qualified" (i.e., minority students that meet a class % cutoff (without considering any DEI goals ) are not being missed).  I'm pretty sure a non-asian minority student in the top 10% of their class at a decent law school can write their own ticket and name their preferred employer.  That almost certainly wasn't the case 30 years ago when the individuals being celebrated per your post were going through the hiring process but it is now.  I have a lot of hot takes about the law firm hiring process and its massive flaws because I don't think there is strong correlation between law school ranking, class rank, race and/or gender that results in someone being a successful big firm attorney.  What you need are smarter than average pure grinders without egos and those candidates exist across all backgrounds.  For example, I'm pretty sure I've yet to see an ivy league law grad, that has come across our practice at least, that was a great hire.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

I don't disagree with a lot of what you wrote.  But as it relates to large law firms specifically which is generally the context of your post, I'm pretty confident "qualified" (i.e., minority students that meet a class % cutoff (without considering any DEI goals ) are not being missed).  I'm pretty sure a non-asian minority student in the top 10% of their class at a decent law school can write their own ticket and name their preferred employer.  That almost certainly wasn't the case 30 years ago when the individuals being celebrated per your post were going through the hiring process but it is now.  I have a lot of hot takes about the law firm hiring process and its massive flaws because I don't think there is strong correlation between law school ranking, class rank, race and/or gender that results in someone being a successful big firm attorney.  What you need are smarter than average pure grinders without egos and those candidates exist across all backgrounds.  For example, I'm pretty sure I've yet to see an ivy league law grad, that has come across our practice at least, that was a great hire.

It's the same in any publicly traded tech company that I've worked in, near, or around-- FAANG/Magnificent 7-- if you are an underrepresented minority and underrepresented gender (URM/URG in talent/recruitment speak), you have many a leg up on the average, state school honkey. 

19 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Since the first black student was admitted to UT in 1956, black enrollment has exploded to 4.3% 68 years later. It’s as bad at other P5 publics in Texas,, which btw is home to the largest number of black people in the country.

Well, face it.  UT has the rep as a white place, very white.   Black folks preferences nowadays seem to be much much less about assimilation and much more about a more relevant experience.   Thus HCBU’s, northern schools, etc.  

11 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

It's the same in any publicly traded tech company that I've worked in, near, or around-- FAANG/Magnificent 7-- if you are an underrepresented minority and underrepresented gender (URM/URG in talent/recruitment speak), you have many a leg up on the average, state school honkey. 

Yes, even 10 years ago, before I retired, this was the case at my big oil co. One thing I was proud of.  The whole climate disaster, not so much.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, nbmishoid said:

Well, face it.  UT has the rep as a white place, very white.   Black folks preferences nowadays seem to be much much less about assimilation and much more about a more relevant experience.   Thus HCBU’s, northern schools, etc.  

it is true that a black kid with a stellar academic record and board scores is  likely to choose Morehouse over UT. That has not always been the case.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Good post.  And yes, there's a separate discussion there as to the difference between "Ivy leaguer with a fancy resume" and "local kid who thinks on his/her feet and busts ass."  Malcolm Gladwell would agree with you.  I know some mediocre Yale lawyers, and some damned fine Texas Tech lawyers.  I sure don't judge a lawyer I'll be facing based on where they went to school.

But all of that said, we don't hire from the Ivy league, and even then we have to be diligent and make an effort to seek out quality minority candidates who might be overlooked.  Yeah, a black lawyer in the top 10 at UT can write their ticket anywhere, in part BECAUSE they are a black lawyer in the top 10 at UT.  But the pool of minorities even going to law school is still below the population ratio, if for no other reason than minorities have a lower number of mentors in their community and family who went to law school.  We have been working with a program aimed at helping with that -- geared towards helping first-gen college students and such, mostly but not entirely minorities, get introduced to law school and the legal world.  But we won't be able to do so much longer, because that program got the axe because of Texas's new anti-DEI law.  Again.....all that program did was reach students who wouldn't otherwise have much exposure to the legal world, but we had to kill it.  Because we are stupid and mean.

• Fuck You 1

22 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I saw Mayor Woodfin's (of Birmingham) comments regarding Alabama and I don't know the logistics of his idea but I support it.

Woodfin's a badass. Before him it was rot all the way down, like using the back of a leper's neck for nacho dip. Woodfin came in like the humble hero of a Kung-Fu movie, with all the old interests circling around, gesticulating and attacking him one by one.