2021 Hurricane & Cyclone Thread

Rip76

7 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

The giant electrical transmission tower that sends major lines from west to east bank has fallen in the Mississippi. That provides 90% of power to Metairie and New Orleans. HUGE fuckup.

Also, power out and no good drinking water in both parish water treatment plants. Residents asked to limit water use so sewerage does not back up. Several week wait for power.

How does this affect Tulane?

3 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I am sitting in my SUV in the driveway, charging my phone, smoking my 1:1 CBD/THC vape and having my next-to-last cold beer.

Already used app to initiate State Farm claim. My shingles no longer live on my roof. And the back neighbor psycho dogs who historically want to kill me when I am in my yard, now can. Fence is kaput.

I have a few generators to share with neighbors. Glad I flew home yesterday. The 5-8 pm show was impressive. The day will show how fucked we are. Not really. Louisiana is 6 X more than Katrina fucked right now. Less dead, to be sure. But this was a fucking disaster of epic proportions.

Really sorry to hear that man. As you know, we went through both the power/water thing in Austin earlier this year, but that only lasted a week. Sadly, y'all are going to be dealing with this shit much, much longer. Let us know how we can help. I'm sure ROFL has some shingles guy connections.

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

Already used app to initiate State Farm claim. My shingles no longer live on my roof. And the back neighbor psycho dogs who historically want to kill me when I am in my yard, now can. Fence is kaput.

Or maybe the neighbor's psycho dogs that have always wanted to die by your hand, now can.

GIF by Identity

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

The giant electrical transmission tower that sends major lines from west to east bank has fallen in the Mississippi. That provides 90% of power to Metairie and New Orleans. HUGE fuckup.

Also, power out and no good drinking water in both parish water treatment plants. Residents asked to limit water use so sewerage does not back up. Several week wait for power.

Did they ground the damn thing? 

7 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

I am sitting in my SUV in the driveway, charging my phone, smoking my 1:1 CBD/THC vape and having my next-to-last cold beer.

I have a few generators to share with neighbors. Glad I flew home yesterday. The 5-8 pm show was impressive. The day will show how fucked we are. Not really. Louisiana is 6 X more than Katrina fucked right now. Less dead, to be sure. But this was a fucking disaster of epic proportions.

A handful of the cheapest aspirin and a couple of hot dogs will take care of the dogs.  Good luck and best wishes for the rebuild.

I can only speak for my home in Houston, but it didn’t rain for 3 straight days in Harvey. It rained most of it but there were times it didn’t during those days. I distinctly remember both nights torrential rainfall that brought water a few feet from my front door and then it stopped for several hours. Very surreal with no sounds outside, no wind, no rain. Nothing at 3am but a lake where the streets and front lawns normally are.

perhaps it didn’t stop for 3 days elsewhere but not in central Houston.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Could be awhile. GMA crew said most of them don’t have cell service on site, and they were 20-30 miles from Grand Isle.

Coast Guard will get a heli crew there promptly at first light, my guess.  With such a small number of known people riding it out there, they will know what buildings to sweep.

Baton Rouge also with widespread power outages.  From the Advocate:

Thousands of people are without power in the Baton Rouge area Monday morning after Hurricane Ida pummeled the region.

As of 5:30 a.m., several pockets in the area still had power, according to Entergy's live power outage map

Here's a breakdown of Entergy customers without power by parish:

East Baton Rouge: 137,056

Ascension: 39,941

Livingston: 19,684

West Baton Rouge: 3,801

East Feliciana: 3,212

It is unclear how long power outages will last, but Entergy is warning people to brace for days, if not a month or more. 

Edited by WBT

6 hours ago, bolverk said:

Given the expectation of prolonged power outages and no sewage treatment, I smell (deep inhale) a Surly bidness opportunity for our resident bitcoin enthusiasts and @Scheiss Meister.

South Korean toilet turns excrement into power and digital currency

I've been making money from shot for over 30 years, but not this way.  That looks like a pretty cool idea.  At some point we'll figure out that water is too precious for transporting feces and find a better way to dispose of it, like the system in the linked article.  Thanks, @bolverk.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I've been making money from shot for over 30 years, but not this way.  That looks like a pretty cool idea.  At some point we'll figure out that water is too precious for transporting feces and find a better way to dispose of it, like the system in the linked article.  Thanks, @bolverk.

Thirty years in the poop scene, approximately ten of them among this group of miscreants, and your goddamn phone still autocorrects "shit" to "shot." 

Technology sucks. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6