Austin Super Regional Thread

Horndog

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Also, first baseball game to attend since my son played out his high school baseball career (as an outfielder, who really came into his own his senior season and had a great year).  I hadn't realized how much he had learned about the game till I watched one live with him.

Every ball hit in the air, he knew what was going to happen before anyone around us -- ball in the air, deep, we get excited as it leaves the bat, he stays in his seat with "he's got it."  Cam hit his shot, and he said instantly "that's gone."  I asked him how he knew, and he said he just knows now by looking at the speed and angle of the ball as it leaves the bat in the first few feet, because that's when he -- as an OF -- needs to make his decision on where to position himself to make a play.  And he was right, all game long.  It was cool to see that he really has figured out the game he loves, and has played since he was 5.  It's a shame that he's now played out the string, and won't be playing at the next level (although I told him he could probably get picked up by USF as a CF tomorrow), but it was really cool sitting with him, immersed in the game.

Been to several super regional clinchers over the years, but really enjoyed going to this one with the boy, who's not a boy anymore.

Also, the concession stand boudin balls sucked.  All rice, no boudin.

Shoulda got the nachos...

• Haha 1

Just now, Cajun said:

Shoulda got the nachos...

That's what we started with.  And went with the pro move -- asked for an extra cup of jalapenos, and instead of pouring it all over the chips, poured the jalapenos into the cheese cup and made it a jalapeno cheese dip.

Goddamn, I feel like I need to educate y'all on EVERYTHING around here.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

Apparently he banged a married chick which caused the married chick's husband to murder their two sons and then burn his own house down with himself and the two dead sons inside. It was discussed on one of the threads last week; not sure if true or not. 

I mean that is so Florida he’ll fit right in at LSU. Come on, kitties. You’ve done much worse

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That's what we started with.  And went with the pro move -- asked for an extra cup of jalapenos, and instead of pouring it all over the chips, poured the jalapenos into the cheese cup and made it a jalapeno cheese dip.

Did you post a picture on the steelshank thread? If not, failfailfail

1 minute ago, Native Horn said:

Lulz.  Besides that one outstanding, and probably lucky catch against the wall, that dude had very little clue.

Has there been worse centerfield play that deep in the tournament….ever? Good fuck. Corner outfielders in Omaha? Yeah ok shit happens up there. But every fucking fly ball was “ohhhhhh ah fuck he somehow didn’t miss that despite doing everything wrong” 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Has there been worse centerfield play that deep in the tournament….ever? Good fuck. Corner outfielders in Omaha? Yeah ok shit happens up there. But every fucking fly ball was “ohhhhhh ah fuck he somehow didn’t miss that despite doing everything wrong” 

You know that scene in The Sandlot where Smalls just sticks his glove in the air and closes his eyes, and Benny just hits it into his glove? That was that dude. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Very savvy

19 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I feel like I saw a lot of routine OF plays across the supers turn into OFers making plays harder than they needed to be.  Not just the USF CF.  

1 hour ago, TexasPride10 said:

Apparently he banged a married chick which caused the married chick's husband to murder their two sons and then burn his own house down with himself and the two dead sons inside. It was discussed on one of the threads last week; not sure if true or not. 

“UF’s head baseball coach Kevin O’Sullivan will be one of the guest speakers, along with former head football coach Will Muschamp and former Major League Baseball player Gary Sheffield.”

He wouldn’t be speaking at the memorial if this was true  

Edited by UnhappilyMarried

7 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

“UF’s head baseball coach Kevin O’Sullivan will be one of the guest speakers, along with former head football coach Will Muschamp and former Major League Baseball player Gary Sheffield.”

He wouldn’t be speaking at the memorial if this was true  

Someone has to be there to comfort the widow...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TexasPride10 said:

spacer.png

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Might not be the most popular opinion, but we should double our capacity, at a minimum, and more prominently feature our national titles with banners. 

No doubt. You only needed to watch a little of the Arkansas or Miss State regional to realize we need more capacity. We were half of the Miss State capacity.

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

If we double our capacity that just means we’ll be playing in a half empty stadium for our biggest games. I don’t think the demand is there. 

Maybe. If you make it cool enough Austinites might show up. If we had something like what Miss St has they might show up just to be seen.

The townies don't support UT without buzz. But do we really want non-fans there? I would rather we have 7,000 fanatical UT alums then 14,000 people just there to be entertained.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Helobious said:

If we double our capacity that just means we’ll be playing in a half empty stadium for our biggest games. I don’t think the demand is there. 

Check This Out GIF

Correct.

Only sell outs are regionals and supers with the occasional big name coming in (LSU 2019). Has been that way for years and don't need to muck things up by going minor league schtick ala Patterson when he was AD and fucking up the football games with jet pack man.

Like @Valmy77 said, rather have 7000+ fans vs. more cuz oh, it's cool to the condo dwellers to be seen. there was enough of those last night that apparently had never been to a game. Any baseball game.

Edited by BillyGoatHill

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I feel like I saw a lot of routine OF plays across the supers turn into OFers making plays harder than they needed to be.  Not just the USF CF.  

There was suspect outfield play in both the regionals and definitely the supers. I think part of the reason was some games with twilight start times where it is definitely harder to pick up the ball. Also, while it is not a major or even minor league ballpark, the Disch is most likely bigger than what SF plays in normally. Minor leaguers sometimes struggle finding the ball upon moving up to the "show" and finding the ball due to upper decks of stadiums, might have been a small factor here also.

2 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

There was suspect outfield play in both the regionals and definitely the supers. I think part of the reason was some games with twilight start times where it is definitely harder to pick up the ball. Also, while it is not a major or even minor league ballpark, the Disch is most likely bigger than what SF plays in normally. Minor leaguers sometimes struggle finding the ball upon moving up to the "show" and finding the ball due to upper decks of stadiums, might have been a small factor here also.

Yeah I saw some Arky players in the OF struggling to locate balls and have to leap or dive what seemed pretty routine.  Same with DBU. 

stadium capacity does not need to change at all.  that's silly.  home super regionals are the only thing that will create the type of demand to fill anything more.

one thing i will agree with rex on is that our national championship and omaha prominence should be displayed in a more visible and triumphant way.  it is currently way too understated and i am generally a man with a preference towards subtlety.  

good time at the game last night.  solid crowd energy and i felt like it helped overwhelm usf at times, as well as picking up stevens the few times he needed it.  happy for the guys and it is great to be back in omaha.  here's hoping we keep scaring our opposing pitchers into throwing countless walks and hbps.  cam and trey were great last night.  trey's postseason has been a bit of a revelation and i really hope that continues ala david maroul in 2005 style.  bottom half of the order really picked up a pathetic offensive showing from mitch, zach, and ivan.  hope those guys can shake out of it by sunday - was good to see zach get that last single.

only complaints are billygoat's dumbfuck airhorn buddy (though it wasn't as bad in the stadium as it was on tv) making our home field a fucking cheesedick experience ala vandy and the general observation that our fans are starting to resemble arkansas fans more than i am comfortable with...when did our fanbase become so inundated with so many fat asses?  

on to omaha!  would be nice to separate from lsu again and keep closing in on usc's bullshit record.  hook'em.  

Edited by sidis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Might not be the most popular opinion, but we should double our capacity, at a minimum, and more prominently feature our national titles with banners. 

Banners flowing in the wind showing off our national title prowess would be good and welcomed. Expanding the stadium, negative ghost rider. 

Tickets were easy to get, the crowd was perfect, and there is no need for extra people that aren't rabid enough to take 5 mins to preorder tickets. I have season tix but also got online and in 5 mins had regional and super tix ordered. If you don't get some people in, let them party on the outside, unless they have an annoying ass horn.

20 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Check This Out GIF

Correct.

Only sell outs are regionals and supers with the occasional big name coming in (LSU 2019). Has been that way for years and don't need to muck things up by going minor league schtick ala Patterson when he was AD and fucking up the football games with jet pack man.

Like @Valmy77 said, rather have 7000+ fans vs. more cuz oh, it's cool to the condo dwellers to be seen. there was enough of those last night that apparently had never been to a game. Any baseball game.

This. Esta.

2 hours ago, TexasPride10 said:

Well, I mean, we've all done something like that, right? Let he who hasn't effected a double murder arson-suicide cast the first stone. 

5 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Texas sports crowds are rarely very good or impactful on a game.    Happens once every 5 or 6 years.

This is a silly exaggeration. I have my qualms with Texas sports fans but DKR in the 2000s was a sellout basically every Saturday and usually plenty loud. I've been to a handful of pretty packed Erwin Center games, too, that were rocking down the stretch. 

I guess outside of football I might agree. But I have personally attended enough very loud games at DKR in my life to break your 5-6 year metric. And a couple of those were under Herman. Just off the top of my head this was a very loud and pretty rowdy day and DKR wasn't quite a sellout. (Shit, the game before this was USC which was rocking too)

Don't let our recent suckitude and COVID fool you. 

(Also - we have a good crowd at the Cotton Bowl every single year so yeah I'm not sure what you're talking about. Maybe you don't attend enough of these games)

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

The 2010s were a down decade by this program's standards, and it's not like our previous ADs did much to help the fan experience. Then we hired a new coach who had relatively little acclaim, and 2017 was a decent, not great, year. The 2018 team started up and down before rising from the ashes to win the Big 12 and break through to Omaha. 2019 started quite well, and we had some early marquee opponents in LSU and a highly ranked Texas Tech. I remember the atmosphere being pretty good in those series. Then the team imploded, and that was that. 2020 was cut short before conference play started, and obviously the 2021 season didn't allow for much of a fan experience in the regular season.

All this to say, assuming the 2022 team isn't a repeat of 2019, we should have a pretty good indicator of the staying power of fan interest for an entire season next year.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

Add Rice and their 7 CWS appearances, and we still beat the rest of Texas 37-35. SMU and UTEP have never been.

Already answered but still replying for people to understand how badass this record is and that this is what our University does. Texas fucks. 

28 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

Add Rice and their 7 CWS appearances, and we still beat the rest of Texas 37-35. SMU and UTEP have never been.

It's worse than that. Without Rice there are only 21, and he left them off his list. But hey, at least he took the time to put up his pride avatar. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Predictably, you are wrong. If we have a stadium of X size, within reason, it will get filled. Our ballpark is tiny compared to non-Vandy SEC stadiums. The demand for top notch college baseball is absolutely there. 

I’ve been to Disch once, weekday game against Cal in 2016 I believe. It looked like pre-2015 Minute Maid in there, maybe 300 folks in attendance. It probably swells to 1000 or so for a weekend conference series. Non-SEC baseball stadiums only fill up for the 5 or 6 postseason games (if you’re lucky enough to qualify/host). Hardly worth the cost of a massive expansion. 

• Fuck You 1

Just now, Helobious said:

I’ve been to Disch once, weekday game against Cal in 2016 I believe. It looked like pre-2015 Minute Maid in there, maybe 300 folks in attendance. It probably swells to 1000 or so for a weekend conference series. Non-SEC baseball stadiums only fill up for the 5 or 6 postseason games (if you’re lucky enough to qualify/host). Hardly worth the cost of a massive expansion. 

Sounds just like your Yankee fandom. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Someone refresh my memory...

I had a flashback to a day at the Disch when we won a Super and they started playing Counting Crows "Omaha" and it immediately started pouring down rain.  

What year was that?

I don't know that I came to CC's Omaha through "official channels," or just made the association myself.

Either way, I had it mentally associated in that post-2002 run we had. So I would guess it was one of those regionals.