2021 College World Series Thread

TrashMaster G

Also “allowed” is not the term for this. Other teams were exempt because the NCAA gave them an out to avoid testing. NC State didn’t “allow” the NCAA to test them, they stupidly decided to not take a competitive advantage offered to them. 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Also “allowed” is not the term for this. Other teams were exempt because the NCAA gave them an out to avoid testing. NC State didn’t “allow” the NCAA to test them, they stupidly decided to not take a competitive advantage offered to them. 

Which had nothing to do with safety/science. All vaccinated players are the same. 

5 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Who is really arguing that point?  I think we all agree, if you are not vaccinated and test positive you should not be allowed to play. 

I believe that covers two NCST players. Not enough to make the team forfeit. 

Lots of folks on here going back to yesterday.  

But yeah, if it's just the two selfish, non-vaxx dipshits...rest of the team should be able to play.  Would have made for a great baseball story someday.  I think the Coach and AD thought they were smarter than everybody else and could win at both politics and baseball.  But now they're going home as losers at both.  When they could have just made a couple of simple requests of their team and possibly been the biggest Omaha story since Fresno State.  Now they'll just be the N.C. State dipshit team that ruined their chances in some futile attempt to take a moral stand.  

Baseball has plenty of rules that don't make any sense (most of which I love BTW).  and the NCAA is basically is an organization that exists almost exclusively to write rules that don't make any sense.  But all the rules are there, with very little ambiguity (other than the strikezone), and clearly broadcasted every day of the season.  Two young men (maybe a few more, who knows?), likely enabled by their coach and/or AD, decided their bullshit was more important than the wellbeing of their teammates and their chances to advance in Omaha.  

If these two kids had been caught smoking meth, getting hookers, or cheating at a Council Bluffs blackjack table...the "vaccine mandates are anti-freedom" crowd on here would be coming down hard on them and tough on their crimes.  Because those crimes, while basically victimless, would have cost their teammates a chance to win in Omaha.  While not a crime, passing on vaccines due to some personal stand you feel you have to take, actually cost their teammates much, much more.  And possibly put them and the older staff in serious health jeopardy if those other folks are not vaccinated as well.  10 days breathing and eating on top of one another in a small block of hotel rooms, the fuck you think was gonna happen?  Their entire Athletic Department will carry this shame for years. 

16 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

This. They could get it from anywhere because they’ve all been rightly told they can ditch the mask and live life. They are of no risk, same as he NCST vaccinated players. 

But people are enjoying the punitive aspect of this instead of the logic behind it. 

I’m enjoying the punitive aspect because not being vaccinated is illogical 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

But yeah, if it's just the two selfish, non-vaxx dipshits...rest of the team should be able to play.  Would have made for a great baseball story someday.  I think the Coach and AD thought they were smarter than everybody else and could win at both politics and baseball.  But now they're going home as losers at both.  When they could have just made a couple of simple requests of their team and possibly been the biggest Omaha story since Fresno State.  Now they'll just be the N.C. State dipshit team that ruined their chances in some futile attempt to take a moral stand.  

Baseball has plenty of rules that don't make any sense (most of which I love BTW).  and the NCAA is basically is an organization that exists almost exclusively to write rules that don't make any sense.  But all the rules are there, with very little ambiguity (other than the strikezone), and clearly broadcasted every day of the season.  Two young men (maybe a few more, who knows?), likely enabled by their coach and/or AD, decided their bullshit was more important than the wellbeing of their teammates and their chances to advance in Omaha.  

If these two kids had been caught smoking meth, getting hookers, or cheating at a Council Bluffs blackjack table...the "vaccine mandates are anti-freedom" crowd on here would be coming down hard on them and tough on their crimes.  Because those crimes, while basically victimless, would have cost their teammates a chance to win in Omaha.  While not a crime, passing on vaccines due to some personal stand you feel you have to take, actually cost their teammates much, much more.  And possibly put them and the older staff in serious health jeopardy if those other folks are not vaccinated as well.  10 days breathing and eating on top of one another in a small block of hotel rooms, the fuck you think was gonna happen?  Their entire Athletic Department will carry this shame for years. 

Fuck off, cloak roomer

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

They already had to shut down spring practice for a bit because of players getting covid, soooo I wouldn't be too optimistic.

In Texas the vaccine wasn't available to healthy adults under 50 until 3/30.  The absolute earliest any young, healthy adult could have been fully vaccinated (without lying and cutting in line), is 4/7 for Pfizer, 4/15 for Moderna. J&J was suspended at that time. Spring practice ran from 3/24 to 4/24.

I also saw someone mention that NCSU had 6 months to get the vaccine, which isn't true.  North Carolina's timeline was similar to Texas, so it was available to all healthy adults on 4/7, but it was available to people living in community housing like dormitories on 3/31.  So they had something like 2 months, not 6 months, to get fully vaxxed before the NCAA tournament began.

https://governor.nc.gov/news/governor-cooper-announces-accelerated-timeline-vaccination-eligibility

That's still enough time to get it done, obviously Texas and many other schools'  baseball teams managed to do it, but pretending they had 6 months to do it is silly and counter-productive.  They had JUST enough time to get it done, IF the athletic department had prioritized it and shoved it through.  Clearly that DID happen at Texas and elsewhere.  NCSU chose to fuck around and find out.

Edited by utee94

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I was under the impression our entire team and staff were vaccinated before we even played a game.

Given that the first game was 2/20, to be fully vaccinated, they would have had to have received their first dose in January. That seems pretty unlikely at best (not to mention unethical).

Just now, formermav43 said:

Given that the first game was 2/20, to be fully vaccinated, they would have had to have received their first dose in January. That seems pretty unlikely at best (not to mention unethical).

Well I just remembered that being the case but I am not going to go research it or anything.

Some of our coaches are old, maybe they justified it that way.

1 minute ago, formermav43 said:

Yeah, I think people are forgetting the timelines.  Healthy adults under 50 weren't eligible for the vaccine in Texas until 3/30.

Yes, some people lied and faked health problems to get the shot earlier, but I don't think that was the majority.

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Well I just remembered that being the case but I am not going to go research it or anything.

Some of our coaches are old, maybe they justified it that way.

Looks like most of them got it in late April.

”The No. 3 Longhorns (34-9) stranded too many runners, thanks in part to bad luck, and were far from flawless. However, they were pressed to figure out a way to win a midweek game late, and despite not playing their best baseball, they were again able to generate the needed result. A couple of emerging bullpen pieces fired a bunch of zeros to allow Texas to find enough offense late to beat Incarnate Word, 5-3.

Plus, if the Longhorns looked a tad fatigued mentally and physically, there are some good reasons why. In addition to a doubleheader Saturday, game Sunday and seven-hour bus ride back from Stillwater, Oklahoma, David Pierce revealed tonight almost all the Longhorns received their second COVID-19 vaccination shot yesterday.”

https://texas.rivals.com/news/after-covid-vaccine-shot-no-2-monday-no-3-texas-beat-uiw-on-tuesday

Perfect. My wife was just ranting about the same thing - shit, just the other night she was ranting about how she thinks the “slide rule” at 2b is stupid….but it’s still the rule, and you need to follow it, or else be called out. They knew what the rules were. Maybe they’re smart, maybe they’re stupid. Doesn’t matter. They are the rules, they were known.

And as a coach, he failed 100% in the #1 job of any coach: put your team in the best competitive position to win a title. That’s it. That’s your entire job. Get everyone vaccinated, and have functionally zero risk of having your title run derailed. Fail to do so, and you have a real and live risk that - wadda ya know - jumped up and bit you in the ass.

Avent failed in his #1 job as a coach. He is a failure, a terrible coach, and a terrible leader. I’m pissed at him. Every fan of NCstate and college baseball should be pissed, too.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’m still dying to know why the fully vaccinated players were allowed to play yesterday without being tested with the other players. But then were tested and ruled out today. 

Since everyone keeps saying the rules were clear and everyone knew about them going in. 

• Hook 'Em 2

That part's the only mystery remaining.  Everything else can be chalked up to empowered stupidity.  I think the N.C. State guys who can show they were fully vaxxed on schedule and who had negative tests should be able to play, but here we are.  Would have made for a fucking awesome underdog story.  They'd still be short-handed, in an elimination game, still playing the field favorite to win Omaha.  Plus there would be a chance to give Covid to the whistler guy.  

When you are part of a team like this, college, high school, or pro, it is standard to have rules that the players have to adhere for the benefit of the team over personal choice. You have curfews. I imagine that N.C. State players weren’t allowed to be out partying until 4 am. I imagine that they have to make sure they are at practice. To make the decision to risk the whole season for players and fans to allow a few players to make a personal decision that could have an enormous effect on the whole program is mind blowing.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lobo said:

All of this is true. Now do the other side where if they popped a piss test for pot many would be wailing at the stupidity of testing for pot instead of saying “rules are rules”. 
we all love to stand on the principle of law and order, rules are rules when it’s not our ox getting gored, and play bureaucrat when it’s happening to someone else. 
Rules are rules. They broke Em and got what they deserved. Rules should be based in logic. There is no point in suspending vaccinated players who are asymptotic. 
This is now people talking past each other making different points. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Now that Acho has popped off the idiot side and the reasonable side are even more clearly distinguished.

It's even better when the idiots somehow think this makes them look better.

@Zeus and @Enchubben: This guy who is an idiot and a moron and is wrong about everything agrees with me. That must mean that he suddenly became super smart! There is no other possible explanation for why he agrees with super-smart me on this position!

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

That part's the only mystery remaining.  Everything else can be chalked up to empowered stupidity.  I think the N.C. State guys who can show they were fully vaxxed on schedule and who had negative tests should be able to play, but here we are.  Would have made for a fucking awesome underdog story.  They'd still be short-handed, in an elimination game, still playing the field favorite to win Omaha.  Plus there would be a chance to give Covid to the whistler guy.  

I think that's the problem though - they don't have enough of those guys. That was yesterday's game - 13 vaccinated players that could play. Supposedly today, 4 of those 13 subsequently tested positive, leaving them without enough to field a team. Not to mention even with the 13 from yesterday, it would've been near impossible to field pitchers given what they used up yesterday.

12 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

All of this is true. Now do the other side where if they pooped a piss test for pit many would be wailing at the stupidity of texting for pot instead of saying “rules are rules”. 
we all love to stand on the principle of law and order, rules are rules when it’s not our ox getting gored, and play bureaucrat when it’s happening to someone else. 
Rules are rules. They broke Em and got what they deserved. Rules should be based in logic. There is no point in suspending vaccinated players who are asymptotic. 

I agree, I've been clamoring for the fully vaxxed/negative to asympt. players to get in there and fuck up Vandy.  Been a fan of it for almost 24 hours.  it's the non-vaxxed and coach/AD that I've been railing on.  

To your other point, that's what I brought up drug use, breaking curfew, etc. in my post.  People would be calling for the hammer to dropped on players like that for letting their teammates down, but because the vaccine thing is seen as a personal choice, they deserve privacy and freedom.  There's also just some N.C. State level logic going on here.  

In 2021 Omaha, the NCAA will likely be cracking down hardest on:

1.  Sports gambling

2.  Covid-19 vaccination/testing

3.  Marijuana usage

4.  stealing signs 

5.  unauthorized autograph sessions 

If it was Pierce and Texas taking this kind of idiotic chance and blowing our chances in Omaha, we'll all be well outraged.  Pierce made a simple announcement, "You wanna wear that 'Texas' across your chest in Omaha...take your shots, get some rest, and come back to the battle."  100% compliance.  N.C. State coach took a different tack, "our little program has only made Omaha three times.  We have the chance to do something really special up there and take down traditional powers like Stanford and Vanderbilt while we do it.  Be a good teammate---don't break curfew, finish your final exams, stay off drugs, watch your game tapes, have each other's backs, and whatever you do---don't be pressured into following NCAA protocol contained in this here travel document."  

But their players in the clear should absolutely be allowed to play.  That part is bullshit.  That coach should have a giant "C" on his uniform for the rest of his career though.  Destroyed the only best chance N.C. State ever had at a national title in baseball.  Just took a shit on it in the name of "indoctrination"    He's gonna have some awkward conversations with his President/Board of Regents (or whatever they call themselves in Appalachia Aggyville) when he gets back to NC.  

tl;dr------N.C. State's bullshit moral stand has fucked over Texas.  Vanderbilt relatively coasted yesterday (NCSU's 13 did put up a valiant effort) and doesn't have to fucking play today).  With weather and all the pitching changes, we're probably going until fucking midnight tonight, and barely have Sunday to get rested.  Vandy goes into the finals with so much more of an advantage and it's fucking us!  

Edited by Lobo

6 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

I’m still dying to know why the fully vaccinated players were allowed to play yesterday without being tested with the other players. But then were tested and ruled out today. 

Since everyone keeps saying the rules were clear and everyone knew about them going in. 

Probably because tests and re-tests take a while to process. I doubt we'll ever know. Regardless NC St had AT MOST 4 pitchers and zero bench players available, and 2 of their pitchers pitched a substantial amount yesterday. I say at most because we don't even know for sure it was just 2 guys infected. Given that one of 'em isn't even in Omaha anymore, it seems probable the infection rate is higher than the public knows. BTW the NCAA's announcement refers to 2 local health authorities making the recommendation for NC St not to play, and not violation of a rule.

1 minute ago, SomeoneYouKnow said:

I think that's the problem though - they don't have enough of those guys. That was yesterday's game - 13 vaccinated players that could play. Supposedly today, 4 of those 13 subsequently tested positive, leaving them without enough to field a team. Not to mention even with the 13 from yesterday, it would've been near impossible to field pitchers given what they used up yesterday.

Highfill could have pitched and he shut them out on Monday.

Presuming one of those other pitchers could have played 1B.

15 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Again it’s the NCAA so who knows but likely the positive tests triggered enhanced testing for the whole team and staff due to proximity to the 2 positives, yielding the additional positives. 

unless you are positing the ncaa allowed the 4 vaccinated players to participate yesterday knowing they had tested positive?

I keep seeing aggy and aggy-adjacent (other sec folks) say this championship is now tainted and people should stop watching.  If Texas was the team being sent home, would they still feel that way?  

Didn’t think so. 

Also this from today:

According to multiple sources, two unvaccinated NC State players tested positive for COVID-19 this week, prompting the NCAA to test the entire roster, including vaccinated players. Four positive tests came back from that round of testing, prompting the no-contest ruling. All four of the latest positive tests came from vaccinated individuals who were in the dugout for Friday’s game against Vanderbilt, per multiple sources.

According to the NCAA’s Sport Science Institute guidelines:

Fully vaccinated student-athletes and other Tier 1 individuals with no COVID-19-like symptoms may be exempt from routine testing. Student-athletes and other Tier 1 participants who are not vaccinated must continue to undergo testing at NCAA championships.

If there is evidence of substantial or high transmission in the community, or if there are COVID-19 variants that escape the effect of the vaccine, then testing may need to resume for fully vaccinated individuals. Such decisions will be made in conjunction with local public health authorities and/or federal guidance.

The updated testing guidance also applies to Tier 2 and 3 individuals who may be subject to testing protocols at member schools and championships. If Tier 2 individuals are not fully vaccinated, they must undergo and document a negative PCR test within two days of arrival, or a negative antigen test within one day of arrival, and undergo daily self-health checks. Further testing is based on symptoms. Tier 3 individuals who are not fully vaccinated must undergo daily self-health checks, with testing based on symptoms.

Should state or local authorities require testing of vaccinated individuals, their guidance will supersede this policy and vaccinated individuals will be required to be tested

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Highfill could have pitched and he shut them out on Monday.

Presuming one of those other pitchers could have played 1B.

This. The “they would’ve lost anyway” attitude is wrong. They only lost 3-1 to Rocker yesterday and had numerous chances to score more, especially against the relievers. Vandy’s pitching situation wasn’t going to be great today.  They could’ve also thrown a pitcher in RF and put their regular 1B back as he was playing LF. And just hope for the best. 

Also, I find it hard to believe that they wouldn’t get some negative unvaccinated players back for next week. 

2 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

This. The “they would’ve lost anyway” attitude is wrong. They only lost 3-1 to Rocker yesterday and had numerous chances to score more, especially against the relievers. Vandy’s pitching situation wasn’t going to be great today.  They could’ve also thrown a pitcher in RF and put their regular 1B back as he was playing LF. And just hope for the best. 

Also, I find it hard to believe that they wouldn’t get some negative unvaccinated players back for next week. 

Do we know Highfill wasn't one of the 4? Do they just cycle through their remaining players in case whoever starts gets shelled? What about an injury?

Does the NCAA have rules on how many players must be available? Or do you just need a pitcher and catcher?

Does Vanderbilt reserve the right to protest playing given the positive cases and the risk involved with contact to NCSU (availability risk, not health risk)?

2 minutes ago, SomeoneYouKnow said:

Do we know Highfill wasn't one of the 4? 

No. I think in the scenario we are discussing, the fully vaccinated players were not tested and allowed to play as they were yesterday. 

It’s only a comment in response to the “they would’ve lost anyway” posts. 

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

It should play out with testing being scrapped. No one is at risk unless they have made the choice to not get vaccinated. 

Spending time in confined spaces like hotel rooms, locker rooms, planes and buses with someone contagious with COVID increases the risk of getting infected even for vaccinated people.

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

They aren’t tested because there’s almost zero risk. Same for the NCST fully vaccinated players. 

You are wrong.  4 of the players that played in yesterday’s game came back positive for COVID so obviously it’s not a zero risk.  If you have an unvaccinated player on the team you are putting everyone that spends time with that player at risk.  In this case 2 unvaccinated players infected at least 4 vaccinated ones.

I think the speed limit being 65 on I-35 going through downtown is stupid. I can drive at 70-80 and be perfectly safe. I do so regularly, but I accept the risk that if a cop wanted to, they could pull me over and give me a ticket. I wouldn’t bitch and moan like a moron because I understand the actual rule, whether I agree with it or not. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

You are wrong.  4 of the players that played in yesterday’s game came back positive for COVID so obviously it’s not a zero risk.  If you have an unvaccinated player on the team you are putting everyone that spends time with that player at risk.  In this case 2 unvaccinated players infected at least 4 vaccinated ones.

I don’t define risk as a vaccinated person testing positive for Covid.  We all know the odds of that having a serious outcome is near zero. 

That’s why they aren’t even bothering to test fully vaccinated teams. Because it’s not even worth knowing about. 

Edited by Don Johnson
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Personal responsibility is hell of a concept to accept for a lot of people 

You are fucking responsible for your choices. When your choices lead to consequences you don’t agree with, tough fucking shit snowflake. The world does not revolve around you 

At what point can we limit personal responsibility to the person?  We are well past the point where everyone has had the opportunity to get the vaccine. Time to stop having silly rules to protect those who have chosen not to. 

Edited by Don Johnson
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

At what point can we limit personal responsibility to the person?  We are well past the point where everyone has had the opportunity to get the vaccine. Time to stop having silly rules to protect those who have chosen not to. 

let the team handle it 

tenor.gif?itemid=8899812

Don’t kids have to submit vaccination records for the fall ?
a friends daughter is trying out today for a Texas university’s dance squad and she had to submit all her vaccination records 

Yeah, but I think they’re only looking for the big, traditional stuff…meningitis, measles, etc. A lot of places are going to require COVID vax, but I assume people will be able to claim the same exemptions as have always been available for the other shots