Post Covid, Getting Back Into Office

tantric superman

4 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Wearing anything other than jeans if you're not seeing clients/outsider personnel can get fucked. 

As well as the person mircrowaving fish in the break room. 

It’s called fish bombing. We shared a kitchen with some Chinese ex pats and they did it everyday. One of our geologists put up a classic passive aggressive sign asking them to stop. It was ignored. 

Top office peeves: 

1) Fish bombing 

2) Old, big ladies wearing perfume that smells like Pinesol mixed with Old Spice.

3) Co-workers that talk about themselves incessantly. 

4) Spends 40 minutes a day washing out his tupperware guy. 

5) Managers that walk the floor constantly to monitor who’s at their desk. One on my floor makes more laps than a prison guard. 

6) How was your weekend/big plans this weekend/ what’s for lunch today? guy.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Stupid question amnesty:  Aren’t all doors closable? And openable as well?

I just thought I would emphasize that I can, and do close my office door.  In a "stay the fuck out of my office" sort of way.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, naija said:

it's hard for me to accept that there are that many jobs that could be effectively done from home.

Why is that? I think I remember reading at the height of the pandemic, something like 40 percent of Americans were working from home. With Teams/Zoom, almost every white collar job can be done remotely now. Granted, if this virus had hit 25-30 years ago, it would've been impossible.

Personally, I wouldn't want to work from home 100 percent of the time forever, but I did for well over a year. We definitely now have a lot more flexibility than ever before, and the pandemic has proven that. If we take advantage of the technology by staggering hours and days, we'll have just about solved all our traffic woes.

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I usually ask this question of people I have no real interest in talking to but the present situation would make it awkward not to say something beyond the standard "How ya doing? "  "Fine" call and response.  The first one is too dangerous as there might be a big story involved and ain't nobody got time for that.  The last one can get you invited to something you don't want to be involved in.  The plans one pays off as usually there is no plan and if there is a plan the details are sketchy enough that it's short for them to convey and I can respond with "ok well (insert sentiment depending on what they have told you they are doing)"

• Hook 'Em 1

I just started managing a team in another state.  I’ll have some days where I’ll need to go into HQ to participate in management meetings or some face to face stuff, but other than that my team is 500+ miles away so my presence at the office is optional at best.

7 hours ago, hookemATL said:

Company plans for a September return, so still 100% wfh for a good while. Allegedly my role will require x3 a week at that time but I’ve told my manager I will make my own decisions on how many days I will be in office. New baby and 6 yo means I need as much flex as possible. Once they can get vaccinated I might soften but I can do everything remote so what’s the point. Told him that any ultimatum type shit where I need to log my days in office will be met with a fuck you I dare you to try it. 

This guy has management written all over him

Been back five days a week since May 1, 2020 so it really never felt like we left. I'm interested to see how/if our policy changes as more and more of our competitors implement part-time WFH. It is becoming a recruiting tool.

I don't mind being in the office all that much and prefer it to being on calls all day. I despise the commute though and would welcome anything that reduced the number of hours I spend in traffic.

20 minutes ago, millhouse said:

I've been in the office the whole time. No traffic, no issues with parking, didn't have to deal with other people bitching about things that don't matter. I'm not looking forward to some people coming back just to complain about being back.

Same here. We aren't the type of business that can wfh. It was good while it lasted. Now the traffic and slow left lane drivers are back. 

I was basically 100% remote before the pandemic.  Will be going back to ATX office in July for the first time since Dec 2019 for our big “everything’s back to normal” company-wide all-hands.  After that I’ll basically be in the office for a week every 8 weeks or so, or whenever we are starting some initiative that could benefit from some in person discovery/planning.

On 6/23/2021 at 12:03 PM, DaysOff said:

That's called a slam click in aviation. You get to the hotel and slam the door and click the lock. There's this bizarre esprit de corps in the airline pilot world that I'm now supposed to take you out for dinner and drinks after 8 hours in the sausage fest pointy end. Fuck you. I'm getting chipotle and watching Netflix in my underwear.

Translation for a moron please... I don't speak this language.

21 hours ago, millhouse said:

I've been in the office the whole time. No traffic, no issues with parking, didn't have to deal with other people bitching about things that don't matter. I'm not looking forward to some people coming back just to complain about being back.

Lol, 100% there will now also be the “complain about having to come to office guy” going forward too.

On 6/23/2021 at 6:29 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Fantasy Football guy in open company.  If we're one off and want to talk football, then by all means. When it's mixed company, many of whom could not give a fuck less about sports, you just come off as a dumb jock sniffer.

As for getting back to the office, we have been in the office the whole time, having never shut down.  HQ is making plans for opening back up in SEptember, I believe, but we employees out in the real world never shut down.  I asked about when we might have in person meetings again( dreading it) and was told it would require 100% vaccination rate AND authorization from VP of sales.  In other words, that shit ain't happening for a while.  Cool.

Edited by slorch

On 6/23/2021 at 1:08 PM, lmao said:

It was honestly surprising. These were people who have been there a while & have solid careers so they have options. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Former colleague?

I was with a medical company at a manufacturing site, but 75% of the engineers, PMs, and business folks could effectively do their work from home. The site was old school (“casual jeans Friday are your reward, but you better dress nice M-Th!” “Rolling in at 8:01am is tardy!”) and only allowed WFH due to Covid. We actually had two of our best quarters with significantly fewer safety events during Q2 and Q3 of 2020, but management said we are going mandated vaccines and back to 5 days a week in the office regardless of your role in the company. I believe about 50% of the white collar folks quit in the past 9 months. I got a new permanent WFH job, but am looking forward to my wife going back to the office 3 days a week soon. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Following keenly. I manage about 12 folks. We used to do WFH 1 day a week. Everybody just sort of took the day whenever.  The expectation was to come in on the periodic (monthly or biweekly) all hands meeting day.  Covid proved that 100% telecommute would be fine. Upper Management is discussing return to work. I expect the standard to be 3 days at home for most staff. 

I don't know how best to organize that. Should we try to nail 1 day down as everyone in the office? I guess to just hobnob, coffee runs, and lunch. In the future every meeting with 3 or more involves someone at home, then virtually all meetings are going to be virtual. And it seems dumb to go to the office to have virtual meetings. 

Edited by CleverNickname

On 6/25/2021 at 6:08 AM, slorch said:

Fantasy Football guy in open company.  If we're one off and want to talk football, then by all means. When it's mixed company, many of whom could not give a fuck less about sports, you just come off as a dumb jock sniffer.

As for getting back to the office, we have been in the office the whole time, having never shut down.  HQ is making plans for opening back up in SEptember, I believe, but we employees out in the real world never shut down.  I asked about when we might have in person meetings again( dreading it) and was told it would require 100% vaccination rate AND authorization from VP of sales.  In other words, that shit ain't happening for a while.  Cool.

There's a $1,000 buy in fantasy football league in my office. I just. Can't. I think when they talk fantasy football at the office it's an outlet for the crippling fear of their wives finding out they dropped 1k on fantasy football. 

The company unfortunately laid off some uncomfortably creepy contractors. Replaced them a bunch of squares. Every office needs a little weird. 

So I guess, add not creepy contractors to my list of office peeves. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Some of the contractors highlights: 

- Giving every woman in the office Vaseline for Christmas. Yes, really. 

- Suggesting baby names, including their own, to pregnant ladies. 

- Asking ladies if they were pregnant without prompting. 

- Leaving handwritten notes and flowers on married ladies' desks. 

- Suspenders and short sleeves. 

- Printed/framed/mounted certification diplomas after completing mandatory safety courses. Congratulations my man. You completed our cyber security course! 

I've worked as a contractor in an office full of employees. It's a tough gig. But Jesus Christ, tone it down guys. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Some of the contractors highlights: 

- Giving every woman in the office Vaseline for Christmas. Yes, really. 

- Suggesting baby names, including their own, to pregnant ladies. 

- Asking ladies if they were pregnant without prompting. 

- Leaving handwritten notes and flowers on married ladies' desks. 

- Suspenders and short sleeves. 

- Printed/framed/mounted certification diplomas after completing mandatory safety courses. Congratulations my man. You completed our cyber security course! 

I've worked as a contractor in an office full of employees. It's a tough gig. But Jesus Christ, tone it down guys. 

I have years of stories about creepy contractors 

- Touching pregnant women’s stomachs 

- Multiple screaming fights with cafeteria staff

- Sleeping in bathroom stall 

- drinking at work (vodka at 9am serious)

- Asking VP out on date 

- Affairs galore 

• Haha 1

On 6/23/2021 at 8:15 PM, naija said:

it's hard for me to accept that there are that many jobs that could be effectively done from home.

How can you get anything done without the constant interruptions at the office?

22 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Somewhere I still have a professional development diploma from the Universidad de Coahuila that I actually earned during a long weekend in Missouri. I am pretty sure that the lady in charge of the training was once connected to the UdC, but by the time of my training that relationship seems to have taken on a fuzzy quality. Her assistant listed a degree from a university that I was unable to find on the internet.

Later on, the head lady asked me if I wanted to take over the racket, uh, the business, but I lacked initiative. Later on I got a mass email that the UdC didn't want her to give out any more diplomas in their name, which seems short-sighted because I really did learn some things in that possibly-non-UdC course. I'll match it up against any coffee-and-donuts ticket-punch that gummint drones get days off for.

Anyway, in August I am due to start teaching in a Trumpstafarian anti-masker part of the Tri-County area. I was sore at them during the pandemic, but now, double-vaxxed, I'm all "Y'all do whatever you want, and Devil take the hindmost." I like noodling around on different back roads to get there, and finding Salvadoran food stands tucked inside gas stations that Google knows nothing of. Then at the school, I just convert a few to Deep State Lizard-Overlord obedience, and I feel good knowing I earned that money.

My office never closed and I went in to actually get work done a lot in 2020. I have two kids under two so WFH isn’t happening. My job was flexible before Covid and I worked from wherever when I needed to get away. 

I can say this. F working from home for months on end. I would fucking lose my mind. Unless WFH means I’m working from the beach, then I get it. 

• Like 1

I've been working from home since 2006, even before it became a thing. Had a 1.5 year stint in 2014-2015 where I found a new job that required going into the office. That was a beating. Dealing with traffic. The office bullshit. Found another job working from home.

Fuck going into the office. You don't realize how much life you lose getting ready to work and sitting in traffic until you stop doing it. I'd rather be surfing surly and sleeping.

Plus going to work is expensive. Wear and tear on your car. New clothes. Dry cleaning. Going out to lunch. Gas for the car. Fuck all that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, htown85 said:

Back in the office and I love it.  It was driving me mad trying to manage and train people over Zoom/Teams.  I also love the people I work with and I have always had flexibility, so my situation is not common.

Yeah, if I never log in to another Zoom meeting again, I'll be happy.

• Like 1

i retired about 4 months before covid hit. my husband still works. 

i did not anticipate that my husband would be home every day. all day. along with me, also home. every day. 

i mean...i anticipated that eventually. when he retired. 

but not 4 months after i did. haha. 

so anyways...he's going back 3 days/week next month, and i am so happy for him! 

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/23/2021 at 9:54 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Counter argument is that there is always someone that will take casual clothes too far and ruin it fore everyone else.  Pajamas aren't any different than jeans! 

True. I once worked in an building for a software company that was very casual. Most people were software developers and wore shorts, t-shirts and tennis shoes or flip flops. No big deal except this one chick who worked on the Project Management team. Former UT row team and fitness model. She would wear hip huggers and you could see the top of her thong and a little bulge of ass when she sat down.

One day I was walking by her area with this guy who was born with a pole up his ass. We see her thong and ass meat and this dude sighs and says "I've complained several times about her inappropriate dress but nobody has yet to do anything." 

Me: "Hmm.. that's weird. I wonder why?" lulz

10 hours ago, crash_davis said:

I've been working from home since 2006, even before it became a thing. Had a 1.5 year stint in 2014-2015 where I found a new job that required going into the office. That was a beating. Dealing with traffic. The office bullshit. Found another job working from home.

Fuck going into the office. You don't realize how much life you lose getting ready to work and sitting in traffic until you stop doing it. I'd rather be surfing surly and sleeping.

Plus going to work is expensive. Wear and tear on your car. New clothes. Dry cleaning. Going out to lunch. Gas for the car. Fuck all that.

All of this. Been WFH for a decade and can't imagine having a daily commute again. Waste of time and money.

4 hours ago, Enchubben said:

so commercial real estate tied into large offices in downtown areas are totally effed long term right? Gotta think most large employers are weighing the cost of re-upping their upcoming lease agreements.

Old buildings, yes. New construction still leases even in tough markets like Houston. The workplace needs to be a place people want to go if you want people to work for your company and come into the office.