2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

This is not the news I hoped to hear. Putting a ton of pressure on Kelvin Banks to be the savior 

Is Banks the only incoming freshman that may start at OL in 2022 ??

Btw... Mims wasn't gonna come to Texas -- sorry your hopes were crushed. 😋

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

15 hours ago, Viper said:

Having true freshmen starting on the oline is never a good sign. The fact that they could still be an improvement doesn't mean we should be optimistic. 

Au contraire mon frere. Optimism is an essential part of the Surly life cycle. It’s somewhere between  “WE ARE WORLD BEATING MOTHERF**KERS” and “OH GOD OH GOD MY WORLD IS IMPLODING.”

Edited by Junior Bonner
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Fud said:

Tommy Brockermeyer didn't play in Bama's spring game until halfway through the third quarter, and then he gave up four sacks to Dallas Turner. But to be fair, Dallas Turner is really fucking good 

i hope he ran right over the top of little tommy

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Tommy Brockermeyer didn't play in Bama's spring game until halfway through the third quarter, and then he gave up four sacks to Dallas Turner. But to be fair, Dallas Turner is really fucking good 

Bullet dodged?  Is certainly better to bust somewhere else than have him come here, bust and we gotta beat ourselves up about how we failed to develop a “can’t lose” prospect. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Bullet dodged?  Is certainly better to bust somewhere else than have him come here, bust and we gotta beat ourselves up about how we failed to develop a “can’t lose” prospect. 

Redshirt freshman - playing in the spring game for the defending National Runner-up - gets beat by a pass rush that included 15 (fifteen!) sacks on the day. 

Yup, he's a bust, and we're glad we dodged that bullet.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Redshirt freshman - playing in the spring game for the defending National Runner-up - gets beat by a pass rush that included 15 (fifteen!) sacks on the day. 

Yup, he's a bust, and we're glad we dodged that bullet.

He’s a 5 star. Already passed up by people good same class

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

He’s a 5 star. Already passed up by people good same class

I didn't watch the Bama spring game, so I can't 100% confirm, but the only person from his same class that he's been "passed up by", is literally the one guy in the class that was ranked higher than him (Latham). 

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&Position=OT

He may one day be considered a bust, or he may transfer to Texas, but it's way too early to be declaring him a bust for getting beat by a pass rushing monster.

• Hook 'Em 1

Didn't Tommy have a significant enough shoulder issue in HS, that he missed his senior year? If so, there was a much better chance of him busting. James was never going to play there. An OT with one bad shoulder isn't going to do shit any level of football.

I think Gerry mentioned something this weekend that Tommy has missed a lot of development time at Bama dealing with injuries. Wouldn't be shocked if he never plays a competitive down there.

Edited by HtownHorn

28 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Didn't Tommy have a significant enough shoulder issue in HS, that he missed his senior year? If so, there was a much better chance of him busting. James was never going to play there. An OT with one bad shoulder isn't going to do shit any level of football.  I think Gerry mentioned something this weekend that Tommy has missed a lot of development time at Bama dealing with injuries. Wouldn't be shocked if he never plays a competitive down there.

21 minutes ago, pacman said:

Believe James has missed the whole Spring due to injury.

So Nick did Texas a favor by taking both Brocks ??

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Am understanding correctly, the guy making excuses for a 5 star redshirt freshman is the same guy saying we shouldn’t take experienced OL transfers because of highly rated incoming recruits?

I am not making excuses for Tommy. I wouldn't take him right now, he's likely damaged goods. 

On 2/16/2022 at 3:05 PM, Getafix said:

image.thumb.png.0c725bd6a6b076e18ac1e665378c2d02.png

Coming out of high school, offers from Bama, LSU, Tenn, Ole Miss, ND, A&M, others.

From his Vandy bio:

As a Freshman (2020)
• Four games played
• Six tackles, five against No. 6/5 Florida and one at Missouri
• First career fumble recovery versus the Gators
• Among SEC freshmen, third in fumbles recovered/game (0.20)
• Among all SEC players, tied for fifth in fumbles recovered/game

The Wright File
• Four-star prospect by ESPN
• Three-star by Rivals and 247Sports
• Top 400 national prospect by 247Sports
• Top 20 Alabama prospect by ESPN and 247Sports
• Alabama’s 21st-best prospect by Rivals
• Missed most of senior season due to injury
• Sophomore starting quarterback, junior starting safety while playing alongside current Vanderbilt safety Justin Harris
• 54 tackles, six interceptions and six defensed passes, helping Etowah to 5A state quarterfinals as a junior
• Three interceptions returned for scores in 2018
• 2018 all-state first team
• 2018 all-region first team
• Varsity letters in football, basketball, baseball and tennis
• Full name is De’Rickey Rashad Wright
• Born and raised in northeast Alabama
• Son of the late Christina Henderson
• Three siblings: Shi’Nita, Sha’Nora and Latrice
• Undeclared major

Career Highs
Tackles: 5, vs. Florida, 11/21/2020
Fumble Recovery: 1, vs. Florida, 11/21/2020

Don't remember seeing it on here, but he withdrew his name from the portal not to long ago.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

I am not making excuses for Tommy. I wouldn't take him right now, he's likely damaged goods. 

I wasn’t referring to you. I can’t keep up with all the folks who believe our non-early enrollee OL recruits are reason not to pursue strong, experienced, guys up front. I mean, it’s not like they’re important to the protection of your prized QB & RB.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I wasn’t referring to you. I can’t keep up with all the folks who believe our non-early enrollee OL recruits are reason not to pursue strong, experienced, guys up front. I mean, it’s not like they’re important to the protection of your prized QB & RB.

Not surprised that you can't keep up. 

Explain which strong experienced guys you think we should be pursuing/should have pursued. I've been clear that going after a 5star freshman like Mims is a no-brainer. 

Anything else is pointless. We already have enough on this team with the incoming freshmen to win 7 or 8 games. I know Kansas just scares you to death, but I'm telling you that it's okay. You can unclench your pussy.

By far, the biggest predictor of OLine success is previous combined starts. Giving the freshmen as much playing time together as possible in 2022 will reap rewards in 2023 and beyond, when we have a legit shot for playing for titles. Taking snaps away from the freshman in hopes to win 1 extra game this year ain't worth it. 

Besides all that, there's no guarantee that anybody you bring in is going to be better than Banks or Campbell. 

5 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Explain which strong experienced guys you think we should be pursuing/should have pursued.

We should be making a list of the best 30 centers in the country and then tampering to see if any will come here, because ours regularly gets his dick pushed out his asshole.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Bobby:

As Inside Texas reported last week, Texas is set to host its next transfer portal prospect later today, UCLA linebacker Caleb Johnson.

Johnson initially signed with Texas in the class of 2019 out of Fullerton College before transferring to UCLA following three games played for the Horns.

Johnson went on to start 17 of the next 18 games for UCLA at inside linebacker. He led UCLA in tackles in 2020 with 44 stops and 5.5 sacks.

Johnson visited Miami over the weekend. The Hurricanes have offered and also signed his linebacker UCLA teammate Mitchell Agude.

Johnson is said to be choosing solely between the Horns and Hurricanes.

We continue to hear positive remarks on both Alabama wide receiver and TCU defensive end Ochaun Mathis.

Mathis made a surprise visit to Texas on Saturday while he was home visiting his family over the weekend. While Mathis says he is deciding by the end of the month between Texas and Nebraska, it’s clearly a good sign he showed up in Austin for the second time this spring, and is due back again next week for the spring game.

Hall’s recruitment is much more cloudy. Texas is very much under consideration. But what other schools are involved? And what is his timeline for a decision?

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)