2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

Hey it's the recruiting board so being dumb I think is a prerequisite to posting. But I had the same discussion with Bert a long time ago. He thought that NIL would kill the gray market and I disagreed. Last cycle, it was pretty obvious that the gray market was alive and well (hi, aggies). Now, you are repeating the same thing that NIL will kill the gray market. I'm just not seeing it. The elite guys that A&M was signing last year were getting in the range of $500K. Georgia and Alabama say that they will do the same this year as the market has changed. NIL at Texas may get you $150K per year. So if Banks wants $250K per year, he can get $150K of Texas money free and clear without uncles, handlers, and tax avoidance issues. But, if Alabama can get him $100K in NIL plus $150K in under the table money, I think he will take the $250K with $50K going to uncles and handlers. The deal is going to be NIL plus incentives not NIL or incentives. Just my opinion. I'll definitely be right this cycle though as A&M, Georgia, and Alabama have bidding wars.

Not that I blame you if you don't have the time or interest, but my timeline has stayed pretty consistent for the past few years on NIL and dark markets. No one, including @Burt Macklin, thought that the dark markets would go away for 2022, 2023, or 2024. My position was clear about ATM - they were making the last big push in the bag game for the 2022 cycle. After that, it was going to make more sense to do things above board. That's what's happening. The bag game will diminish over the next few cycles. 

There are two critical components to perpetuating the bag game that are now endangered and you and others are giving neither of this items any weight whatsoever, to your own failed logic:

1) The continued ignorance of parents and recruits. That's being peeled away aggressively now that shit can get discussed in the open by every school. Uncles, trainers, bad dads, bagmen and shady alums kept a lot of this shit in the dark at the shady schools and the good schools had no tools to combat it without looking crazy with accusations.

2) The interest of coaches in continuing to deal with all of the shady auction shit versus just making pitches and using a salary cap to get the guys. 

Of course things like paying for visits and other petty shit by comparison will continue because "why not?" I'm not even debating that part of it. That's the thing though. This all went from tens of thousands of dollars before 2022 to now millions going forward. The bag game couldn't muster jack shit by comparison to what is unfolding. FSU under Fisher via Brewster bought Marvin Wilson for $80k like 5 years ago. Lupoi and Bama bought Waddle for $80ks like 4 years ago. The aggies showing up with the ridiculous shit last cycle is the only time the needle has really moved in a decade+ and now that's going to wind up looking quaint and undifferentiated in the future.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Former 4Star Corey Kiner from LSU has entered the portal.  79-324-2 as a true freshman last season.

Can't imagine we have much interest in him.

As soon as I read “I want to start off by saying”  I immediately knew there was going to be a “With that being said”.   Its like fucking clockwork.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

There are two critical components to perpetuating the bag game that are now endangered and you and others are giving neither of this items any weight whatsoever, to your own failed logic:

1) The continued ignorance of parents and recruits. That's being peeled away aggressively now that shit can get discussed in the open by every school. Uncles, trainers, bad dads, bagmen and shady alums kept a lot of this shit in the dark at the shady schools and the good schools had no tools to combat it without looking crazy with accusations.

2) The interest of coaches in continuing to deal with all of the shady auction shit versus just making pitches and using a salary cap to get the guys. 

Regarding Point 1, I am sure parents are clueless to coaches and trainers who steer their kids to certain schools. I am surprised if they are clueless when the numbers get big. When Georgia actually hands out prices for players visiting, signing, etc., how could the players not know what is going on? And when the numbers get up to $100s of thousands (aggie), the players and parents have to be getting the majority of that money, right?

Regarding Point 2, you are right that most coaches don't have any fucking desire to screw with the shady shit. However, some coaches will always cheat. I don't think Saban or any of his disciples have ever been clean. Those guys hate to lose and will do anything in their power to win. They know what the NIL number is at Texas. Is Saban then willing to then just let players go to Texas? No, fucking way. He is going to have one of his people go to the player and his parents and ask what it will take to sign the kid. And guess what, Saban is going to make it happen. If it doesn't work (tongue in cheek), Saban is coming to Texas when NIL is firmly entrenched simply because Alabama can't compete in an open system against Texas money. In his world because that is what he has always done, the better players always beat the better scheme. And he is not going allow better players to go to other schools.

• Hook 'Em 1

First impression after not watching a single college snap of this guy - Tom Herman would have loved this cat. Tall, good catch radius, body control and hands. Really only shows speed in one or two of those plays and doesnt showcase alot of good route running.  Probably a good complement to Worthy/Whittington/Neyor and likely a better option than inconsistent Marcus Washington or a one legged Trey Omeire. 

1 minute ago, Enchubben said:

First impression after not watching a single college snap of this guy - Tom Herman would have loved this cat. Tall, good catch radius, body control and hands. Really only shows speed in one or two of those plays and doesnt showcase alot of good route running.  Probably a good complement to Worthy/Whittington/Neyor and likely a better option than inconsistent Marcus Washington or a one legged Trey Omeire. 

Hall is fast, man. Not sure what you’re looking at, but speed isn’t an issue. Not going to class, not buying to “the process” under Saban, and dropping more passes than making them for the year, those are his problems. He can take the top off of a defense. 

• Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

1st impression was the first play and that was me questioning his ability to track a ball. That and he is a body catcher, which makes sense given the reports. 

2 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Top end speed looks great but it does seem like it takes him about 4 steps to get up to speed.

I'll go ahead and be that guy since no one else has: how the fuck do you pronounce his first name? A-jee-yay? A-zhai? A-jai?

ugh-jai-e?

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Hall is fast, man. Not sure what you’re looking at, but speed isn’t an issue. Not going to class, not buying to “the process” under Saban, and dropping more passes than making them for the year, those are his problems. He can take the top off of a defense. 

This. The guy is fast as shit and has a huge catch radius. His route running is bad and supposedly he has work ethic issues. But if he gets his grades in order, he will see a lot of time just taking the top off defenses.

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He may be and I hope he is. I just dont see it on the hs tape is all outside of what looks like one kick return and one long bomb.

My evaluation should be caveated that my experience in coaching and identfying football talent is limited to 6 and 7 year olds in flag. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

1st impression was the first play and that was me questioning his ability to track a ball. That and he is a body catcher, which makes sense given the reports. 

Those were 2019 highlights. He was a 2021 recruit. That was his junior year

Edited by Atticus

In an effort to not re-reroute the entire thread into a speed discussion for a potential transfer - I fully retract my statement that his speed did not show up on that 90 second clip of highschool film. He is the fastest kid alive. He's a gravity defying superhuman bolt of lightning. He makes Carl Lewis look like Carl Winslow.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

He may be and I hope he is. I just dont see it on the hs tape is all outside of what looks like one kick return and one long bomb.

My evaluation should be caveated that my experience in coaching and identfying football talent is limited to 6 and 7 year olds in flag. 

Bro, you need to learn to watch. the. tape. Anytime he hits the gas he is separating from his defender by 5 or 10 yards. If you look at the end of his IMG highlights it shows his kick returns and you can see it there. There is a rumor he may could even beat CTJ in the 40. 

• Haha 3

"Hall was one of the most athletic prospects in the country in the 2021 class. He posted an 81.5-inch wingspan, a 4.51 laser forty yard dash, a 4.29 laser shuttle, 37 inch vertical and 10 inch hands in March of 2020 at an Under Armour Camp in Orlando."

Wingspan and hand-size 

• Drool 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)