Holy shit, ze German floods

MaybeACoordinator

1626436350-ccf86dd7-3af7-4021-a0ee-00611

The worst flooding in decades to affect Germany and parts of Belgium has killed at least 120 people as search and rescue efforts for hundreds of missing continue, officials said.

Late Thursday, authorities said about 1,300 people were still unaccounted for in Germany but cautioned that disrupted roads and telephone service could account for the high figure.

Meanwhile, German officials were quick to say that a warming climate is at least partially to blame for the catastrophic flooding.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

would be interesting to see the before pic of that one above... curious to see if there was a creek or something there before or if the water just said fuck you im going to make a hole

If you enter “Rhein-Erft-Kreis” in Google Maps, there’s an enormous dirt area on the west side of the town, surface mining, maybe a quarry? Perhaps that’s what we are seeing. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

1626436350-ccf86dd7-3af7-4021-a0ee-00611

Definitely gives 2002 Hill Country flood vibes. Had to head for higher ground and stood on top of the highest hill we could get to in Uvalde County and watched the flood waters carve a new path through the countryside just like in the photo.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I saw this on the Heidelberg Bridge on a trip to Germany.  Markings of the historical flood levels.  I believe opposing these were estimates from earlier century floods.  

At the highest mark on the bridge markings a lot of town was underwater.  Obviously the castle is up on the hill.

Alte-Bru%CC%88cke-Hochwassermarken.jpg

Edited by Incredulity
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm pro find-an-answer-to-climate-change but it remains hilarious to me how quickly people move from acknowledging the disaster and providing immediate solutions to pointing fingers and figuring out whose fault it is. South Park nailed this phenomenon in an episode like 15 years ago. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

I saw this on the Heidelberg Bridge on a trip to Germany.  Markings of the historical flood levels.  I believe opposing these were estimates from earlier century floods.  

At the highest mark on the bridge markings a lot of town was underwater.  Obviously the castle is up on the hill.

Alte-Bru%CC%88cke-Hochwassermarken.jpg

My direct ancestor left Heidelberg for America in 1753. 

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

wtf is wrong with you? did not read what I wrote? I saw the vid earlier in the day posted by someone else but when I went to find it to post here, this was the only version I could find. I gave my disclaimer because I know you fucking DT denizens get your fee-fees hurt real easily. fucking deal with it, you goddamn snowflake

Jesus dude. Shut the fuck up. You posted far left political rhetoric in DT and then got enraged when someone made fun of it. No one's feelings are hurt - except yours perpetually it seems. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

17 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

wtf is wrong with you? did not read what I wrote? I saw the vid earlier in the day posted by someone else but when I went to find it to post here, this was the only version I could find. I gave my disclaimer because I know you fucking DT denizens get your fee-fees hurt real easily. fucking deal with it, you goddamn snowflake

Lmao nothing is wrong with me. I know it made you feel giddy inside...just fucking admit it, you old cowardly bitch

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Lmao nothing is wrong with me. I know it made you feel giddy inside...just fucking admit it, you old cowardly bitch

Old? I'm probably younger than you are. 

I had no agenda when posting that other than sharing the video.

Pretty crazy to see centuries old buildings washed away in an instant. Sad. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, EuroHorn said:

image.jpeg.a8e13b79d19de74a4d133c1bd616ced5.jpegI guess moving from Louisiana wasn’t such a good idea. 

Side story: raccoons have overrun Eurasia and it all started in Germany. Herman Goering brought some over because he thought the critters in German forests were boring, and then there was a craze for their fur in Nazi Germany, so there was at least one raccoon fur farm. It was adjacent to an Allied POW camp and towards the end of the war both were bombed, the prisoners and the raccoons escaping....Now they are all through forests all the way through Russia. 

• Hook 'Em 2

@HornOnTheBayou get a fucking life, cheesedick. That's the most embarassing neg against me I've ever seen on this site. 

And as long as we're on the subject - there is basically no room for posters that aren't extremely left to share their opinions on this site anymore. This entire thread is embarassing. I get y'all are liberal but holy shit - the CR brigade has become ridiculous. 

Look at this trash, this has 8 ups to 3 negs. This fuck is being such a politically forward condescending dickhead that it shouldn't even bear mentioning yet here we are:

20210717_012820.thumb.jpg.cac680d03a76ab58a7be4c5343e25c0c.jpg

I get that the CR is a big community on this site but it's clearly bleeding out into other areas and it's getting irritating. I pay a small tithe every month to this site but I'm definitely entertaining cutting that shit off and going elsewhere after seeing the reaction to certain posts in this thread. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

Bunch of people on this site getting older and wishing the people on their lawn would just move along.  
This is why the site has lost it’s spirit.  Not because of political crap not staying where it belongs.  

No it's pretty much why it's losing its vibe. The CR cabal is a group of self righteous assholes.  They can't even post without it being or becoming some political problem caused of course by the other team... 

That they think people want their unique, opinionated take on politics is just another reason why they're assholes (here at least, hopefully they don't act like that in real life) and fuck up some of the enjoyment of this once proud site.

EDIT: Not referring to the post with the footage, and the headline disclaimer.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Also, it was pretty amazing footage, and embedding a tweet in a post is a hell of a lot easier than some random, non-YouTube video even if he was able to find the footage elsewhere. 

God damn some of you are the bitchiest bitches who ever bitched.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

No it's pretty much why it's losing its vibe. The CR cabal is a group of self righteous assholes.  They can't even post without it being or becoming some political problem caused of course by the other team... 

That they think people want their unique, opinionated take on politics is just another reason why they're assholes (here at least, hopefully they don't act like that in real life) and fuck up some of the enjoyment of this once proud site.

EDIT: Not referring to the post with the footage, and the headline disclaimer.

I'm sure the Bobs will take under careful advisement Onboard, immortal, and GRHorn's recommendations to improve the site.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Old? I'm probably younger than you are. 

I had no agenda when posting that other than sharing the video.

Pretty crazy to see centuries old buildings washed away in an instant. Sad. 

You see the flood level markings in the picture up thread?   Been going on for time immemorial 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

yeah, I did. but they don't appear to be as destructive.

Maybe because there weren’t as many heavily populated villages around there centuries ago.

Too bad G(8)Grandpa Fredrick didn’t leave any memoirs about his early years in Heidelberg.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Maybe because there weren’t as many heavily populated villages around there centuries ago.

Too bad G(8)Grandpa Fredrick didn’t leave any memoirs about his early years in Heidelberg.

yeah, it's especially hard as an architect - and one who works for a preservation-forward firm - to watch those buildings just disintegrate. they lasted centuries and two world wars and now are just gone. that doesn't even take into account the human tragedy. these people are going to be picking up the pieces for years, once they bury their loved ones

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1