Can we discuss hair loss?

Gil Bang

So, my forehead seems to be getting bigger.  Right now, I'm about at Jason Isbell level.

I started on Propecia from a mail-order joint a year or so ago.  Popping a pill every morning is easy enough but I'm not sure it's working, and I'm strongly considering going with Rogaine. Rogaine sounds like a PITA.   Any of y'all in a similar situation?   I'm mid-50's, and I know that I have a lot more hair than some guys my age, but I'd like to hang on to it. 

34 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

So, my forehead seems to be getting bigger.  Right now, I'm about at Jason Isbell level.

I started on Propecia from a mail-order joint a year or so ago.  Popping a pill every morning is easy enough but I'm not sure it's working, and I'm strongly considering going with Rogaine. Rogaine sounds like a PITA.   Any of y'all in a similar situation?   I'm mid-50's, and I know that I have a lot more hair than some guys my age, but I'd like to hang on to it. 

At this point, I think you are having age-related thinning.  I'm not sure any of the medications do anything about that because it is a different phenomenon than male pattern baldness that occurs early in life.

Also, from what I know, the medications are far more helpful on the crown than the hairline.

16 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also, from what I know, the medications are far more helpful on the crown than the hairline.

Yep.  Nothing can be done for big forehead balding other than a hair transplant.  Skull cap balding is the only thing the pills and foam can mitigate.

Just keep it short or shave it off completely (nothing worse than long hair because even if you don’t mean to it looks like a combover) or pay for the transplant if it’s worth the cost (for most it’s not).

I started losing it around 21. I've been taking finasteride for probably over a year now. I think it helps - although I'm also not good about taking it every day.

I'm kind of fine with going with the buzz look but I'm still young and I like growing my hair out. But shit... the lines are creeping in the wrong direction. I've already passed the look better with a hat on stage. 

4 minutes ago, lmao said:

Be grateful you made it to 50 with a full head of hair. 

Well, yeah.  The GF's ex is a cueball, and her boys already have less hair than I do, and they are 20's and 30's.   Mine went grey about 10 years ago, and IDGAF because I was proud to have hair.   But I've got a fucked-up head, and I just wouldn't look good bald.  I'm like a fucking bobblehead.  I've got a 7 3/4 UT hat that I ordered special online, and it's too small.  I've got size 14 feet.   The cock's pretty pedestrian, but that's beside the point.   Like most white guys, I'd look stupid without hair.  Black guys can pull that shit off no problem. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Well, yeah.  The GF's ex is a cueball, and her boys already have less hair than I do, and they are 20's and 30's.   Mine went grey about 10 years ago, and IDGAF because I was proud to have hair.   But I've got a fucked-up head, and I just wouldn't look good bald.  I'm like a fucking bobblehead.  I've got a 7 3/4 UT hat that I ordered special online, and it's too small.  I've got size 14 feet.   The cock's pretty pedestrian, but that's beside the point.   Like most white guys, I'd look stupid without hair.  Black guys can pull that shit off no problem. 

Please don't racialize hair loss. Especially when you're bringing it up past 50. 

I’m a few years older than you, and have a Nixonian thing going on (if I allowed it to look like that crazy fuck). If this makes any sense, I photograph a lot balder than I look in person. I have to keep it a touch longer on top and rather tight on the sides. When it gets longer and windy, I look like shit, not enough volume up top to avoid a wispy, disheveled look. But barely any gray. I did the rogaine thing for awhile, but as others have said, it’s more for the top of your head than the front. 

Just keep it short, and it actually lends to a more youthful, athletic look.

At your age, embrace it instead of chasing the illusion. I started male pattern hair loss while in college. Tried both rogaine and propecia (at one point simultaneously) and it did not stop the rapid hairline retreat. By 24 I just started buzzing it down to the skin, then eventually just bic’d it in the shower as part of the 2-3x per week morning shave. The most difficult part I experienced was with a lot of shallow chicks in their mid to late 20s immediately asking if I was losing my hair or just shaving by choice, and then shutting it down because they still had a naive dream that their Brad Pitt was out there. By the time I hit 30, I rarely ran into that, I assume because most women had matured and changed what they prioritized in men. As said by others, many women find it sexy as hell. You’re mid 50s with a serious ladyfriend? Let it go man. It is freedom. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Damn, we sound like twins. I’ve got general thinning up top, but the hairline is still mostly okay. FWIW, a neighbor of mine started trt a few months ago and his hair noticeably thickened.  

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

At your age, embrace it instead of chasing the illusion. I started male pattern hair loss while in college. Tried both rogaine and propecia (at one point simultaneously) and it did not stop the rapid hairline retreat. By 24 I just started buzzing it down to the skin, then eventually just bic’d it in the shower as part of the 2-3x per week morning shave. The most difficult part I experienced was with a lot of shallow chicks in their mid to late 20s immediately asking if I was losing my hair or just shaving by choice, and then shutting it down because they still had a naive dream that their Brad Pitt was out there. By the time I hit 30, I rarely ran into that, I assume because most women had matured and changed what they prioritized in men. As said by others, many women find it sexy as hell. You’re mid 50s with a serious ladyfriend? Let it go man. It is freedom. 

All of this.  I'm 54 and started thinning in my early 30s.  Did the Proscar & Rogaine thing for over a decade, but then, somewhere in there, my give-a-shitter konked out and I  let it go.  Went full Walter White about a year or so ago and damn, I can't believe I wasted all that time trying to keep it.

Freedom is the best word to describel it.

No visits to the barber, no shampoos or conditioners, no bed-head, no hat-head, and it's so nice and cool in the summer.  

Stop chasing the tail of that dragon and get ya one of these...

WahlSuperTaper.jpg

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

All of this.  I'm 54 and started thinning in my early 30s.  Did the Proscar & Rogaine thing for over a decade, but then, somewhere in there, my give-a-shitter konked out and I  let it go.  Went full Walter White about a year or so ago and damn, I can't believe I wasted all that time trying to keep it.

Freedom is the best word to describel it.

No visits to the barber, no shampoos or conditioners, no bed-head, no hat-head, and it's so nice and cool in the summer.  

Stop chasing the tail of that dragon and get ya one of these...

WahlSuperTaper.jpg

That's good but the tour is over if I go bald. Some can pull it off, some can't unfortunately.

You can always buzz it and decide if you look ok with the bald look or not. Not everyone is sex symbol material sans hair. 

I noticed that my hair was really thinning and the pharmacist spouse figured out that something in the multivitamins I was taking was blocking something to the hair follicle. Quit taking it and the density came back. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I never understood the vanity of people concerned with hair loss.  I admit that is probably because I started shaving my head my senior year of high school and into college.  I only figured out I was losing my hair when I was probably 21 or 22.  But I was already 4 years into shaving my head so whatever, I just kept doing that.  I haven't bought shampoo in 25 years.  Just embrace it.  Shave it or don't, just own it and what the fuck ever when it comes to other people.

• Hook 'Em 1

My hairline started receding my sophomore year at UT. I went about a year on Rogaine/Propecia and felt self conscious enough to wear a hat anytime I went out and thought I'd never get laid again.

Then one day I just said fuck it and shaved it off (been about 17 years now). After a week of adjusting to the new look and getting a little color on the dome I felt way more confident and no longer stressed about my hair. That newfound confidence did not go unnoticed by the ladies.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

I lost it early 30's, I shaved it before I thought it would look bad. Only thing was Regain, and I was too lazy and too late...

That was like 15 years ago.  They have to have shit now right?

I see stars that had hairlines, then hair all the time.  I've just never looked into it.  Implants or whatever, I maybe would if I was single.

• Hook 'Em 1

I've got a beautiful thick head of hair on my head, but a year ago developed a ~5" circumference bald spot on the tops of both thighs.  I thought maybe my pants were rubbing and I needed to drop a few, but doctor said it was alopecia and very common in men in their 40s/50s.  More common on the calves.  Then he told me I should still lose a few pounds anyway.

4 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

I've got a beautiful thick head of hair on my head, but a year ago developed a ~5" circumference bald spot on the tops of both thighs.  I thought maybe my pants were rubbing and I needed to drop a few, but doctor said it was alopecia and very common in men in their 40s/50s.  More common on the calves.  Then he told me I should still lose a few pounds anyway.

Hmmm, I started losing hair on my calves a few years ago, but thought it was years of wearing dress socks with my work attire. No other hair loss.

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Hmmm, I started losing hair on my calves a few years ago, but thought it was years of wearing dress socks with my work attire. No other hair loss.

That's what I thought caused that look as well, but apparently it's the alopecia.  Also, I'm an idiot.  I meant 5" diameter circles, not circumference.

On 7/16/2021 at 6:40 PM, Gil Bang said:

15 hours ago, UTHornFan014 said:

My hairline started receding my sophomore year at UT. I went about a year on Rogaine/Propecia and felt self conscious enough to wear a hat anytime I went out and thought I'd never get laid again.

Then one day I just said fuck it and shaved it off (been about 17 years now). After a week of adjusting to the new look and getting a little color on the dome I felt way more confident and no longer stressed about my hair. That newfound confidence did not go unnoticed by the ladies.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

I started using finasteridr in combination with Rogaine 5% solution back in 2000 with good results. I also used some reflexology techniques which helped. Consistency and dedication are the key. When I had my multiple shoulder surgeries back in 2017(?) it really made it hard to keep up with the routine and took forever to get rolling again.  Then during the pandemic Rogaine got very difficult to get, so I tried store brands etc. and they are not the same. As a result had a hair loss period that I'm just now able to get stopped. Like a previous poster mentioned, my head just doesn't work with the shaved look.  I look like a pissed off alien.  Besides, I'm just an old hippie that has always had long hair.

Edited by SHOOTER12