2021 Fall Camp Thread - Bend Over & I’ll Continue Showing You

BurntOrange&White

12 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

I bet we see Casey get the majority of snaps tomorrow. 

Card was given a shot with the 1s and he excelled. My guess is Sark gives Thompson his shot tomorrow and they keep rotating. 

I'm kind of thinking the same. But if we hear Card is still getting most 1st team reps tomorrow, probably a sign

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I'm kind of thinking the same. But if we hear Card is still getting most 1st team reps tomorrow, probably a sign

Giving Card the snaps and Thompson a signal sounds pretty dumb right now, when we'll need both of them sooner or later. Unless there's really no competition at all and Card really needs the snaps, in which case we're right fucked.

1 minute ago, mwaadeeb said:

Giving Card the snaps and Thompson a signal sounds pretty dumb right now, when we'll need both of them sooner or later. Unless there's really no competition at all and Card really needs the snaps, in which case we're right fucked.

The transfer issue is real but at a certain point one of these guys needs to develop an actual playing relationship with the starting WRs so they can acclimate.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

Aaron Paul What GIF by Breaking Bad

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

LB/Edge was in far worse shape than OL. 

OL is also probably the toughest position to find immediate impact guys in the portal. I wouldn't call the OL a shitshow either. We got guys entering their 3rd year starting in Angilau and Kerstetter (back at his correct positon), a multi-year starter in Okafor, another returning starter in Jones and Majors who played very well when given the opportunity. The elite talent may not be there but it's the best depth we've had at the position in a long time.

Eh...I’ll take Tristan Nickelson

6 minutes ago, Sal said:

If Sark picks Card, I fully expect to hear cries of racism

Could happen. But pretty sure these are Sark's 3 most recent qb's signed/committed:

https://247sports.com/player/bryce-young-93127/

https://247sports.com/player/jalen-milroe-46050317/

https://247sports.com/Player/Maalik-Murphy-46079369/

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, NoName said:

since this concept seems confusing to you I am going to give you an example from last year's State of Texas class.

the top rated 3* per the composite was someone named Jacob Rodriguez who went to Va Tech, ranked #52 in the state and #376 in the composite. He was just ahead of Hal Presley, Hayden Conner and Byron Murphy II.

Trevor Woods was a Safety who went to Colorado. He was a 3* ranked #142 in the State and #997 in the composite.

the lowest ranked 3* in Texas was someone named John Burriss III ranked #364 in the State and went to UTEP.

the band of being a 3* is very, very large. in Texas alone it was 312 players in 2021.

acting like John Burriss III is the same as say Byron Murphy II is something someone who doesn't know jack shit about recruiting would say. This is is like when TCU fans kept saying they would rather have 3* with a good motor than a 5* prima donna.

there is a huge huge huge gulf between a guy with offers from Texas, ISU and basically no one else and barely makes the top 1000 nationally vs a guy with offers from half the SEC who is also a top 400 prospect in the country.

yes, there are a ton of 3*s every year. Texas had 18 of them in 2021 alone...but stop acting like Mac Jones, a (very) high 3* with committable SEC offers is anywhere close to #342 in Texas, 3* Jakolby Longino who picked UTEP over Lamar and PV A&M. They are both rated 3*s and that is the only thing that is alike between them.

Forget it NoName, it’s the Football Board
image.jpeg.4c4ac879d6b39052b42328c622605222.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, Azbadlands said:

Maybe they didn't view the Oline as being the biggest problem, maybe it's the receivers and depth at receiver and the QB...

Out of the best receivers, 1 is banged up, 1 is recovering from a bad knee injury, and the other J Whitt can't  stay healthy once the Season starts.  We have a freshman who has never taken a college snap, and they moved Schooler to defense. 

Seems like they should have hit the portal for Receiver help...

They got Worthy, and we don't know what will happen with Whittington, Moore, or Omiere. Shipley was hurt until he wasn't.

14 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Yeah sure.   The guy that's married to a black woman...he's a fucking racist. 

The accusation will be toothless but there will be at least one person on Twitter who remarks that Texas won't give QBs of color a "fair" shot. Didn't that happen with the Duncanville clique after Jackson transferred?

• Like 1

Just now, Big Woodrows said:

The accusation will be toothless but there will be at least one person on Twitter who remarks that Texas won't give QBs of color a "fair" shot. Didn't that happen with the Duncanville clique after Jackson transferred?

yeah well, fuck stupid people.  Donnie Little got a fair shot.  James Brown got a fair shot.  Vince got a fair shot.  I'm sure there are more that I can't recall. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

They got Worthy, and we don't know what will happen with Whittington, Moore, or Omiere. Shipley was hurt until he wasn't.

True, but that's stii the best we got, Whittington who can't stay healthy, Omiere who may be healthy, but may have some mental blocks to get through after a serious injury, and Moore.  Worthy is kind of an unknown because he has never taken a snap in college...  There is not much depth after that...

Just saying i'm surprised they didn't hit the transfer portal for at least one more receiver with some upside.  Maybe there wasn't any decent ones in the Portal, or maybe the coaches think they can work with what they got depth wise...

Edited by Azbadlands

8 minutes ago, Azbadlands said:

True, but that's stii the best we got, Whittington who can't stay healthy, Omiere who may be healthy, but may have some mental blocks to get through after a serious injury, and Moore.  Worthy is kind of an unknown because he has never taken a snap in college...  There is not much depth after that...

Just saying i'm surprised they didn't hit the transfer portal for at least one more receiver with some upside.  Maybe there wasn't any decent ones in the Portal, or maybe the coaches think they can work with what they got depth wise...

Pretty sure they were trying to get WR's off the roster, not add to it. There was like 15 wr's on the roster.

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

This is the new normal everywhere. Loser of the QB Competition portals and the program is left with the winner and a true freshman.

It's happened at Bama, Ohio State and Clemson. The difference is, their true freshman QBs are 5 star recruits that are ready to play early. 

I like Charles Wright, and I'm rooting for him, but Texas can't take contingency plan QBs ever again. 

I'm patiently waiting for Gundy to randomly run into Charles Thompson at the OKC Airport. 

Colt McCoy was a contingency plan.

5 hours ago, Cashcar said:

Mac Jones was a 3 star

Colt McCoy was a 3-star.

5 hours ago, NoName said:

let's dig a little deeper into this:

Mac Jones:

• 3*
  • composite score of .8815
  • composite #399 overall, #18 pro style QB and #52 in Florida
  • Offers from Bama, Kentucky, Boston College, Baylor, Cal, Mizzou, OkState, Ole Miss, A&M, Washington State, West Virginia, Florida, South Carolina

Charles Wright

• 3*
  • composite score of .8572
  • composite #896 overall, #59 QB and #130 in Texas
  • Offers from Texas, Iowa State, Arky, UL-La, NC State, Texas State, UTSA, Rice, SMU, TCU

There is a huge fucking gulf between the two based on ratings and offer list. Let's not act like just because 2 dudes are white QBs and 3*s that they are anywhere close to the same.

Great work, @NoName. Now do Colt McCoy.

3 hours ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

Name these 3 star QBs

How many times do I gotta say it? 4-year starter at Texas who led us to the MNC once and should've done it twice; now an eternal clipboard holder and millionaire in the NFL.

spacer.png

You know. This guy.

19 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Pretty sure they were trying to get WR's off the roster, not add to it. There was like 15 wr's on the roster.

Pretty sure we fucked up though. There are lots of bodies but few difference makers. Hopefully, one of the freshmen (other than Worthy) step up. I still think we will need to have Robinson play the slot some and move Worthy outside just so we can get more difference makers who can get separation on the field.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Colt McCoy was a contingency plan.

Colt McCoy was a 3-star.

Great work, @NoName. Now do Colt McCoy.

How many times do I gotta say it? 4-year starter at Texas who led us to the MNC once and should've done it twice; now an eternal clipboard holder and millionaire in the NFL.

spacer.png

You know. This guy.

He should be able to afford a better boat right?

• Like 1

Fuck it Whittington, Worthy Moore and sprinkles of Dixion and Troy with a rotation at TE…That’s it…We don’t need a Deep WR core

Our Running game and defense will be our strength this year. 

on the brighter side I’m happy to hear about all the sacks we’re getting, I remember at a point in time we couldn’t get a sack to save our life without Orlando sending a Saftey from 20yards back 

Also love what I’m hearing about Anthony Cook also.

Edited by D3zii

3 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Fair point. Guess we will see what happens. 

@thunderlounge with the sentence that could be used to answer almost every thread question/argument/non sequitur/random thought/etc... I sincerely appreciate this response and wanted to highlight it. 

25 minutes ago, stork642 said:

He should be able to afford a better boat right?

Having money does not mean you have to spend it. I have the means for a badass boat, but have fished on any floatation device that will hold me. My one requirement is that it must also hold my beer.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Newy25 said:

What is “should” based on? It’s certainly not anything on the field that has been visible to fans. 

Didn't Casey have a breakout performance in the bowl game giving us fans hope that we would be in good hands when Sam left? That was not practice or scrimmage; that was a real game against a P5 team under pressure. Let's not disrespect the dude.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Droopy said:

@thunderlounge with the sentence that could be used to answer almost every thread question/argument/non sequitur/random thought/etc... I sincerely appreciate this response and wanted to highlight it. 

Having money does not mean you have to spend it. I have the means for a badass boat, but have fished on any floatation device that will hold me. My one requirement is that it must also hold my beer.

Wait, are you seriously telling me that a person doesn’t have to spend their money if they have the wherewithal to do so?  It was a tongue planted firmly in cheek comment.  I thought that was obvious.  

Edited by stork642