COVID FAFO Roll Call

MaybeACoordinator

If I'm being honest, I bet if I was unmarried and didn't have kids, or if Covid-19/vaccine thing had come along 20 years ago...I'd have given some serious thought to refusing the vaccine.  I am a considerate man to strangers and neighbors alike, having been raised that way.  But if there was nobody directly in my home that I was trying to protect from Covid-19, I'd probably have had some internal consternation about, "Yeah, it would decrease my chances of spreading it in public, but I'm usually distanced anyway plus I wear a mask."  I'd balance that against my libertarian/personal freedoms belief set, and I bet it'd be 50/50 on whether I'd take the shot.  

However, I have a wife and children.  Their need to not be infected by me since I go out of the house more than anyone (I did before 1st grader went back to in-person) and their need for me to remain alive to provide for them absolutely supersede any and all other thoughts, beliefs, values, etc. by an almost infinite margin.  It didn't even occur to me once I became eligible for the vaccine that I could skip out on it for political or religious reasons.  the CVS portal opened for me one morning and the shots went in,

it was just automatic dad behavior like when you hear your baby crying in the middle of the night, you just get up to change its diaper and feed it because your wife is in such a deep slumber from exhaustion.  You go up there half-asleep yourself with a bottle and clean diaper and you just power through it, never once stopping to think, "Well, I guess I can skip this changing/feeding and just deal with the fall out later because it's all about me right now."  

Getting the vaccination is one little thing in a series of 10,000 little things that I'll hopefully get a chance to do for my two girls.  It's what a man does.  You do the little thing to get to the next thing to get to the next thing, and on and on.  And one day, years from now, they come home for Thanksgiving and hug you and whisper in your ear, "Thanks for everything Dad."    It's almost sad how many girls won't get to say that to their Dads one day because of anti-vaxx bullshit

Edited by Lobo

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I am neither married nor a father and I got the vaccine as soon as I could.

Fuck your libertarian/personal freedoms belief.  That's so selfish.  I'm glad your kids gave you incentive to get the shot, but man...

Dude, I was just pontificating on my 25 year old self would have done before marriage and kids.  I'm still masked up in the complete hypothetical that has no bearing on where we are in the pandemic right now.  That part of your brain that calculates risk isn't even done growing until 25 or 30.  I used to drive fast and not wear a seat-belt, that's selfish.  But you grow up, consider other people in your decisions, and act like less of a dickhead.  Evidently I'm the only surly poster who wasn't an altruistic 25 year old.  

7 hours ago, Lobo said:

The name of our God.  Some people, particularly Jews, don't type/write all of Yahweh, just YHWH.  Which automatically just screams Yiddish.

To me it screams evangelical trying to use the weight of tradition to give a sense of authority to whatever inane, spiritually misguided, and likely destructive thing they’re ranting about. It means they’re serious about unserious things and like to mix a little light blasphemy in with their buffoonery.

These days, nine time out of ten, it’s someone who preaches a vaguely anti-Semitic caricature of Sola Scriptura appropriating Hebrew traditions.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

51 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

My wife and I were talking the other day and even though our positions have not changed much in the past couple of years, we are now considered liberals by her entire extended family.  It's crazy how far things have gone off the rails.  I used to consider myself to be conservative.  Now I want nothing to do with anything the GOP is peddling.

Same.  My family knows I volunteered and worked for various Republicans in the late 90s/early 2000s, and that I was a volunteer for George W.'s campaign. My FB friends' list is littered with former and current Republicans who worked for various Republican politicians (and one is an elected official, albeit at the county level), and they all remember me bugging them to register and vote, even if they didn't give a shit, and if you poke through my photos, there's one of me next to George W, and one of me with George H.W.

They also know I went 3rd-party/Libertarian for several years.

But they get politically active for Trump in the last 4-5 years, and all of the sudden I'm a flaming liberal.  The guy who is bitching that Greg Abbott is overreaching with the state government.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I feel like most of us are in this boat.  I was raised conservative since birth.  I was the stereotypical frat boy calling people faggots as a punchline to a joke.  Sometime in my early 20’s I realized that the hate I had been taught for gay people was wrong.  Just flat out fucking stupid.   It took a friend’s brother killing himself to get me there, but once you get there you start to question the other things you have been taught by your parents, and upon closer examination, you come to the conclusion that they were mostly full of shit.  A little ashamed it took me that long to get there, but it certainly beats the alternative.  

Those who get there do so on a variety of different (yet remarkably similar) paths.

I was a minor participant in the typical HS locker room gay hazing bullshit that comes along with boys that age.  I knew girls were my preference, but I had no real reason to question why other guys might prefer guys.  We just teased the guys who seemed a little different, and guess what?  half of them did turn out to be gay.

Then I joined a large touring group, of which probably 30% were gay.  I became close friends with several of them.  Strangely enough, none of them tried to fuck me.  Huh.  Weird.  I guess all that indoctrinated fear was off point.  Funny how that works.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Those who get there do so on a variety of different (yet remarkably similar) paths.

I was a minor participant in the typical HS locker room gay hazing bullshit that comes along with boys that age.  I knew girls were my preference, but I had no real reason to question why other guys might prefer guys.  We just teased the guys who seemed a little different, and guess what?  half of them did turn out to be gay.

Then I joined a large touring group, of which probably 30% were gay.  I became close friends with several of them.  Strangely enough, none of them tried to fuck me.  Huh.  Weird.  I guess all that indoctrinated fear was off point.  Funny how that works.

This story needs more context. Do lots of women try to fuck you?

• Haha 2

Welllll...

My sister in law & her husband are officially on the crazy train.

She wears the pants in their relationship & they have a 20 year old daughter who is in Philadelphia for theater arts school (set design, etc).

Anyhow, S-i-L is down with all the Jesus peeps & crazy that is associated with that, is all about no vaccinations for their daughter (who HAS gotten the Covid vax against Mom's wishes), did home schooling on a wacked Christian tilt up until my niece was 16... is all about "the enemy" when referring to the devil, etc. & it seems like any decision that requires more than $ 15 spent requires a few days prayer for divination.

Well, her husband works for a linen service / delivery co. & they are requiring all employees to get vaccinated... he won't because my nutjob seester says "nope".

& Now they are exploring what will happen if he loses his job & they have to sell their house.

...Oops... FA / FO.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wait, this isn't you?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

I feel like most of us are in this boat.  I was raised conservative since birth.  I was the stereotypical frat boy calling people faggots as a punchline to a joke.  Sometime in my early 20’s I realized that the hate I had been taught for gay people was wrong.  Just flat out fucking stupid.   It took a friend’s brother killing himself to get me there, but once you get there you start to question the other things you have been taught by your parents, and upon closer examination, you come to the conclusion that they were mostly full of shit.  A little ashamed it took me that long to get there, but it certainly beats the alternative.  

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Same.  We had somebody in my JROTC classes who, in hindsight, was no-questions gay, but at the time it was not something we were used to, so we'd have a little fun with it.  It took a couple of jocks physically bullying him, followed by several cadets whipping their asses to wake us up.  And this was the late 80s/early 90s era in Fort Bend County, not exactly a bastion of tolerance back then.

6 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

My wife and I were talking the other day and even though our positions have not changed much in the past couple of years, we are now considered liberals by her entire extended family.  It's crazy how far things have gone off the rails.  I used to consider myself to be conservative.  Now I want nothing to do with anything the GOP is peddling.

I used to think I despised the GOP because I was liberal, but then I realized it’s actually because I’m not a moron. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I wonder how much better off the state would be if all of you former Republican had not fallen for the con in the first place.  Would it have made a difference in the late 90’s or was everything fucked already?

They were still falling for the con in 2016. Fucking Gary Johnson voters.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

13 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Was talking with a bigtime Trumper/ flags on the truck/ all the way over the top friend of mine, who aside from politics I respect his life decisions/ work ethic/ commitment to family/ etc.  He's a good dude, just severely misplaced with his politics.  Anyhoo, we're talking and he starts grumbling about Gen Milley and even takes a shot at Milley's career and position as the leader of our military.  I start asking him at what point of the 4 decades of service, in which he came up through the ranks in the Infantry branch did Milley disappoint him?  I told him I had heard Milley speak in person at our son's graduation and that's when I started researching who he was.  Dude is a lifetime ass kicker who has done it right and earned the position he has attained.  Now, pretty much anyone achieving Flag officer is also playing the political game; but that doesn't erase the substance of his career.  He's not perfect.  he's not a genius.  but damn if he can't lead people in the right way. I respect him as a credible leader.

Then I asked him why Mattis resigned.  He didn't want to talk about it.  I reminded him Mattis is also  highly respected and is another known ass-kicker who tapped out on Trump.  We ended the conversation with me imploring my buddy to stop listening to the agitators all the time and stick your head up and see which way the fucking wind is blowing.  We both respect each other, but he jokingly called me a pinko.  Given my core values, and life decisions, I just kinda shrugged, "Yeah buddy.  You caught me."

I don't want anything to do with that political realm either.  GOP sucks.  Dems suck for different reasons. There's not really a viable option right now at the federal level for me.

Edit: to make it thread relevant, my buddy did admit to me that he is fully vaccinated.  It was like a confession.  LOL.  i told him at least he had a few brain cells still working.

Edited by slorch

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

We both respect each other, but he jokingly called me a pinko.  Given my core values, and life decisions, I just kinda shrugged, "Yeah buddy.  You caught me."

Lulz welcome to the libtard club, bud. You're not allowed to say the emperor has no clothes. Before you know it, you're gonna be sipping soy lattes and checking your privilege 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

A married couple who are acquaintances here in MN both contracted COVID in the last week. Husband developed double pneumonia and is in CICU. He was on heated pressurized oxygen, but went on the vent this morning.

Both have expressed skepticism in the past about vaccines and the mandated use thereof. Apparently, some have been asking her about their vaccination status. She responded with a long-winded rant saying to mind your own business, which translates to "We're not vaccinated."

It's reeeeeealy hard to dredge up any sympathy.

• Like 1

We're all getting our flu shots at the drive thru clinic either this weekend or next, just need to get the last family member to sign off on date available as we're going to go en masse. Our immune systems are getting a workout for sure.

We'll be the folks you'll see stuck to the large green highway sign as you travel to the game.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Js1 said:

I am neither married nor a father and I got the vaccine as soon as I could.

Fuck your libertarian/personal freedoms belief.  That's so selfish.  I'm glad your kids gave you incentive to get the shot, but man...

By the way, I forgot to come back and give you pos rep for standing up to my random, completely imaginary 25-year old drunken hypothetical that you were so bold to oppose.  

You are so brave ;)  

Edited by Lobo

22 hours ago, Lobo said:

If I'm being honest, I bet if I was unmarried and didn't have kids, or if Covid-19/vaccine thing had come along 20 years ago...I'd have given some serious thought to refusing the vaccine.  I am a considerate man to strangers and neighbors alike, having been raised that way. 

Yeah, refusing a vaccine 20 years ago? Or seriously thinking of being anti-vaxx?  I hope you're not a UT grad.

And sorry, but considerate people take into account how a virus during a pandemic works and considerate people get the goddamned shot. There's more to it than just living at home alone. 

It's like the world has gone full retard. Polio. Smallpox. Covid. Flu. MMR. Get the goddamn vaccine and save some lives. THAT'S the considerate thing to do. 

But thanks for your honesty. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So, what's the latest word/thinking on timing of the flue shot and a COVID booster?  I'm looking to get my booster on Monday.....but am I supposed to wait to get the flu shot?  Get it first?

6 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

From what I've seen on the news, you can get both shots at the same time safely.

i got my booster last Friday at CVS.  pharmacist asked if i wanted my flu shot as well.  i told her i was planning on waiting a few weeks, but she said they recommended doing both at the same time.  so i got them both.  then again, i'm a sheep and will take any and all shots.  at least according to MAGA folks.  anyway, no side effects or anything, other than a sore arm for a day.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Yeah, refusing a vaccine 20 years ago? Or seriously thinking of being anti-vaxx?  I hope you're not a UT grad.

And sorry, but considerate people take into account how a virus during a pandemic works and considerate people get the goddamned shot. There's more to it than just living at home alone. 

It's like the world has gone full retard. Polio. Smallpox. Covid. Flu. MMR. Get the goddamn vaccine and save some lives. THAT'S the considerate thing to do. 

But thanks for your honesty. 

Now you guys decide to take my posts seriously?  It was a hypothetical rambling on what my 25-30 year old dumbass might have done.  I put "50/50 chance" right in the fucking post.  Christ, we're taken to picking on random pontifications of pretend online people in the past.  Calm the fuck down.  I'm doing more than my share to get shots in arms of the uninsured.  Seriously, you guys are so brave standing up to the hungover musings of a completely made-up story.  We should probably get a parade scheduled to celebrate the strength exhibited on this thread.  

51 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So, what's the latest word/thinking on timing of the flue shot and a COVID booster?  I'm looking to get my booster on Monday.....but am I supposed to wait to get the flu shot?  Get it first?

I got the booster first, and then the flu shot one week later.  Either the flu shot, or my little grandson crawling with day care goo, gave me a three day hard case of the crud. 

4 minutes ago, Mole said:

25 year old me would have told 25 year old you to stop being irresponsible and get the shot. And then 25 year old us would have all clapped. That 25 year old me? Albert Einstein.

And my 25-year old me?  

You guessed it.

Frank Stallone.  

You'd be surprised how little overlap on the Venn Diagram of cargo shorts and Ayn Rand.  Unless there's some sort of Maxim digest version of 'The Fountainhead' 

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You'd be surprised how little overlap on the Venn Diagram of cargo shorts and Ayn Rand.  Unless there's some sort of Maxim digest version of 'The Fountainhead' 

Yeah, the Ayn Rand bunch wears bow ties. Unless you’re in a wedding, all men under 30 wearing bow ties should be treated as far-right propagandists in training until proven otherwise. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Mole said:

25 year old me would have told 25 year old you to stop being irresponsible and get the shot. And then 25 year old us would have all clapped. That 25 year old me? Albert Einstein.

That’s pretty much me (I’m 28) and a handful of people I know won’t get the fucking shot. Heard every excuse from it fucks with women’s reproduction to I don’t trust vaccines. Drives me fucking nuts 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tantric superman said:

I got the booster first, and then the flu shot one week later.  Either the flu shot, or my little grandson crawling with day care goo, gave me a three day hard case of the crud. 

Kids are superspreaders.  That wasn't from the shot.  Glad I don't have small kids anymore.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I've read that you can get them together, but I'm behind on the booster.  I should've gotten my booster on September 28 if I was doing it right, but I got the Moderna shot.  Where am I supposed to go to get a moderna booster, since last I heard, it hasn't officially been stated I can get one yet. Anyone have any answers for me?  

27 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I've read that you can get them together, but I'm behind on the booster.  I should've gotten my booster on September 28 if I was doing it right, but I got the Moderna shot.  Where am I supposed to go to get a moderna booster, since last I heard, it hasn't officially been stated I can get one yet. Anyone have any answers for me?  

My plan on Monday is to go to a cvs, say I don’t have insurance, haven’t had a shot, and I want moderna. 

i might try one spot first and say I’m immuno compromised or have a pre existing condition to see if they’ll put it on my existing vax card. If not, straight down the road.  

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1

Wait, so e'rrybody can get Pfizer boosters now?

I do need to get a flu shot. They used to give them to us free at the office but since we've not been in the office since March 2020, we haven't had it offered the last two flu seasons. Can I just walk in and get a flu shot at CVS or do I have to go through their stupid system and make an appointment?

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Wait, so e'rrybody can get Pfizer boosters now?

I do need to get a flu shot. They used to give them to us free at the office but since we've not been in the office since March 2020, we haven't had it offered the last two flu seasons. Can I just walk in and get a flu shot at CVS or do I have to go through their stupid system and make an appointment?

Walgreens was taking walkins last I saw. Went in to get the shot but the pharmacy was closed so I have to go back.