COVID FAFO Roll Call

MaybeACoordinator

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

My plan on Monday is to go to a cvs, say I don’t have insurance, haven’t had a shot, and I want moderna. 

i might try one spot first and say I’m immuno compromised or have a pre existing condition to see if they’ll put it on my existing vax card. If not, straight down the road.  

I got my flu shot last weekend at the CVS and they aren't offering the Moderna, otherwise I'm 99% sure they would've given it to me.

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Wait, so e'rrybody can get Pfizer boosters now?

I do need to get a flu shot. They used to give them to us free at the office but since we've not been in the office since March 2020, we haven't had it offered the last two flu seasons. Can I just walk in and get a flu shot at CVS or do I have to go through their stupid system and make an appointment?

Pfizer booster as of months ago. 

flu shots are walk ins. 

No, that elderly approval was like last May. Shortly thereafter they opened it up to everyone after 8 months, then shortly changed it to 6. 

I think you’re off. They flip-flopped on the 8 and 6 month recommendation but they didn’t actually approve the booster until more recently. My wife just got the booster a few weeks back because she’s in medical field and is “compromised.” Her parents got the booster about a month or two before.

I just ran into CVS to get a scrip and also to see if I could get a walk-in flu shot. They did that and I asked if the boosters were wide open yet and the pharmacist said no. But I think it starts next week or the week after because she said they’re going to get crushed when it does.

48 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Their minute clinic only has J&J and their pharmacy only has Pfizer.  Wasn't that they refused to give me a Moderna shot, they just don't have that brand in stock at the CVS I went to.

I meant more, what indication did they give you that they’d give you a booster that hasn’t been approved for even old folks yet. 

10 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

No, that elderly approval was like last May. Shortly thereafter they opened it up to everyone after 8 months, then shortly changed it to 6. 

I've been noodling on this all day. Your timeline has to be off. Last May, we were still rolling out the first dose to many people. I got two doses in Feb/Mar and felt I was very early. The idea of boosters didn't even come up until this summer. My in-laws got boosters about as soon as you could, which might've been late August/early September.

Or am I way off?

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-authorizes-booster-dose-pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine-certain-populations

5 hours ago, C-Man said:

I've been noodling on this all day. Your timeline has to be off. Last May, we were still rolling out the first dose to many people. I got two doses in Feb/Mar and felt I was very early. The idea of boosters didn't even come up until this summer. My in-laws got boosters about as soon as you could, which might've been late August/early September.

Or am I way off?

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-authorizes-booster-dose-pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine-certain-populations

I don’t know man, don’t overthink it. I’m not. I feel like my parent’s got their first round of boosters, being immunocompromised sometime this summer. I did the quick Google and of course the only thing popping up is the sept 23 announcement a few weeks ago, and we know that’s not the same thing. But who cares?

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

So, what's the latest word/thinking on timing of the flue shot and a COVID booster?  I'm looking to get my booster on Monday.....but am I supposed to wait to get the flu shot?  Get it first?

I can’t think of any reason not to get both together 

MIL (who had COVID 3 months ago; mild symptoms) has declared that she won't get the vax due to now having natural antibodies + being "vaccinated by Christ's blood." I personally don't give a crap anymore, but Mrs GOTJ is torn apart by this. She told her mom she wouldn't visit if she wasn't vaxxed prior to her having COVID (and hasn't), but now with the holidays approaching plus the 1 year anniversary of her dad's death she knows she has to go visit. So she offered the compromise of sending her mom some home COVID tests with the plan of them both taking one 24-48 hours prior to any planned visit and proceeding as long as both are negative. Her mom told her "I won't do that" because this is apparently mocking God's ability to protect her.

My wife's terrified that she/we would somehow infect her mother a 2nd time & that this time it would be fatal. She couldn't live with that guilt. I've tried to explain that in the extremely rare possibility of that happening, it wouldn't be her fault but her mom's choice not to do everything she could to protect against the virus.

It's a no-win situation. Maybe we'll have Thanksgiving via FaceTime this year. I'm done trying to convince the obstinate to be thoughtful adults.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Asithappens said:

Yeah, refusing a vaccine 20 years ago? Or seriously thinking of being anti-vaxx?  I hope you're not a UT grad.

And sorry, but considerate people take into account how a virus during a pandemic works and considerate people get the goddamned shot. There's more to it than just living at home alone. 

It's like the world has gone full retard. Polio. Smallpox. Covid. Flu. MMR. Get the goddamn vaccine and save some lives. THAT'S the considerate thing to do. 

But thanks for your honesty. 

image.gif.4366f528534f269c14dfa92889809989.gif

• Fuck You 1

28 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

MIL (who had COVID 3 months ago; mild symptoms) has declared that she won't get the vax due to now having natural antibodies + being "vaccinated by Christ's blood." I personally don't give a crap anymore, but Mrs GOTJ is torn apart by this. She told her mom she wouldn't visit if she wasn't vaxxed prior to her having COVID (and hasn't), but now with the holidays approaching plus the 1 year anniversary of her dad's death she knows she has to go visit. So she offered the compromise of sending her mom some home COVID tests with the plan of them both taking one 24-48 hours prior to any planned visit and proceeding as long as both are negative. Her mom told her "I won't do that" because this is apparently mocking God's ability to protect her.

My wife's terrified that she/we would somehow infect her mother a 2nd time & that this time it would be fatal. She couldn't live with that guilt. I've tried to explain that in the extremely rare possibility of that happening, it wouldn't be her fault but her mom's choice not to do everything she could to protect against the virus.

It's a no-win situation. Maybe we'll have Thanksgiving via FaceTime this year. I'm done trying to convince the obstinate to be thoughtful adults.

It's tough as hell. My mom's husband passed right at this time last year and I subsequently began visiting her almost every weekend 1) to take care of her place in ways that he wouldn't allow another guy to do and 2) to attempt to alleviate her loneliness.  My single biggest concern was given my line of work in the public and bringing something to her before I knew I was even sick.  It never happened, but damn if it isn't a tough decision.  Do I stay away and keep her safe or do we go on living?

We 'very gently' kept persuading my mom to get vaccinated.  Her reasons were not political or ideological, other than the fact that she has taken very limited medication throughout her life.  Finally, we think my wife is the one who finally convinced her to go get the shots; but again, we weren't fighting that mental battle of wills that you are describing. The situation sucks.  You can't "make" them go do it, but at times I just wanted to say, "Fuck this we're going.  You can be mad at me for a while. LOLz."   I never did, but I truly did consider it.  I hope your situation changes too!!!

1 hour ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Our ability to assess risk is terrible. Obviously you’ve made it clear to her the likelihood of

1. Your wife having a breakthrough infection with no symptoms and

2. Her having a high enough viral load to cause a re-infection in her mom and

3. Mom developing a clinically significant case

has to approach zero

Also, her mom is an adult and seemingly at peace w the prospect of death, irrespective of cause. 

Finally unless your MIL is a shut-in and your wife is her only contact w the outside world, there is no way to know the source of this hypothetical fatal covid reinfection were it to occur  

I’m sure she understands this with the rational part of her brain but the irrational fear is tough to get past

15 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I’m sure she understands this with the rational part of her brain but the irrational fear is tough to get past

I am not saying this is the case in GTJ's situation at all, but I think there is a not insignificant amount of people that use very thin COVID risk justification to avoid interacting with people they do not care to interact with, or the world at all.  For some people that want to just live in a hole, COVID has just provide them an easy way to wallow in their personality disorder. 

• Hook 'Em 1

MIL is not a shut in by any stretch. She's very active in her church ministry (but lives on a ranch amongst other ranchers about 3 hours west of Austin).

And yes, my wife is overreacting. Her desire (need, really) to protect her mom from everything is over the top. But in the last 10 months she's lost her dad, our 13 year old shepherd and 16 year old cat. She thought her older brother (who caught covid from their mom) was a goner. He spent a week in ICU and still has blood clots in his lungs.

We've canceled a getaway to Puget Sound in Dec for her birthday because she doesn't want to deal with flying or assholes on planes. She's at least aware of her issues and has found a therapist to go talk to.

Her mother not meeting her half way on precautions is more deeply rooted. All I an do is be supportive & stay out of the way. And hope that Sober October speeds up a bit.

• Hook 'Em 4

All the stories about crazy family members hits close to home. Heading up there for Thanksgiving this year and dreading my brothers getting drunk and calling me a liberal pussy for getting a vaccine. At least one of the three is normal so we can just hang out at his house if shit gets weird.

16 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

So, the Wazzu coach won't get vaxxed and will likely be fired from his $3M/yr job on Sunday....?

Take that, libs!

Forget Covid for a moment.  He's not willing to get a shot, requested a Religious exemption which probably will be denied, will get fired....and the odds are his decision will result in the unemployment of all his assistant coaches and other football staffers.  So, his selfishness will put people out of work.

But muh freedoms.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Her mom told her "I won't do that" because this is apparently mocking God's ability to protect her.

I mean, others have thought that, too, only to catch Covid and die. But they were likely just shitty people who God didn't really like. But she should be just fine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Forget Covid for a moment.  He's not willing to get a shot, requested a Religious exemption which probably will be denied, will get fired....and the odds are his decision will result in the unemployment of all his assistant coaches and other football staffers.  So, his selfishness will put people out of work.

It's really stunning.  Soldiers give their LIVES on the battlefield to save fellow soldiers, yet dipshits like this guy will put multiple peers out of work because he's afraid of a fucking needle.

Someone around here -- @SydneyCarton? -- said earlier today that we as a society are terrible at assessing risk, and that's dead on correct.  The odds of a medical issue arising from the covid vaccine are orders of magnitude less than the odds of serious medical problems from getting covid, but no, this dipshit is gonna fuck over himself and his staff because 'murica.

• Like 1