PREDICTION CONTEST

Huckleberry

• immamac pinned and featured this topic

I don't think the calculation is working. #1 standings wise had 37-17. There are multiple entries behind that that got less points that had 38-17. The latter should score higher.

Also - I had 45-19 and there are entries with 45-24 and 45-21 higher than me with more points. 

Not sure I can pinpoint the error but the scores aren't right. 

• Hook 'Em 3

13 hours ago, ztejas said:

I don't think the calculation is working. #1 standings wise had 37-17. There are multiple entries behind that that got less points that had 38-17. The latter should score higher.

Also - I had 45-19 and there are entries with 45-24 and 45-21 higher than me with more points. 

Not sure I can pinpoint the error but the scores aren't right. 

Getting the margin of victory wrong has a larger penalty than than getting individual scores wrong. There is a 2 point deduction for each point that the margin is off by (let's call it margin error) whereas there is only a 1 point deduction for each team's score (Texas error/opponent error)

The calculation: 200 - (margin error * 2) - (Texas error) - (Opponent error)

So 37-17 has a margin error of 0, a Texas error of 1, and opponent error of 1. IOW, 200 - 0 - 1 - 1 = 198

38-17 has a margin error of 1, a Texas error of 0, and an oppenent error of 1: 200 - (2 * 1) - 0 - 1 = 197.

45-24 has a margin error of 1, a Texas error of 7, and an opponent error of 6: 200 - (2*1) - 7 - 6 = 185

45-19 has a margin error of 6, a Texas error of 7, and an opponent error of 1: 200 - (2*6) - 7 - 1 = 180

The margin of error is what is getting you.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

Getting the margin of victory wrong has a larger penalty than than getting individual scores wrong. There is a 2 point deduction for each point that the margin is off by (let's call it margin error) whereas there is only a 1 point deduction for each team's score (Texas error/opponent error)

The calculation: 200 - (margin error * 2) - (Texas error) - (Opponent error)

So 37-17 has a margin error of 0, a Texas error of 1, and opponent error of 1. IOW, 200 - 0 - 1 - 1 = 198

38-17 has a margin error of 1, a Texas error of 0, and an oppenent error of 1: 200 - (2 * 1) - 0 - 1 = 197.

45-24 has a margin error of 1, a Texas error of 7, and an opponent error of 6: 200 - (2*1) - 7 - 6 = 185

45-19 has a margin error of 6, a Texas error of 7, and an opponent error of 1: 200 - (2*6) - 7 - 1 = 180

The margin of error is what is getting you.

Ah okay thanks. I knew there was something weird about how it was calculated. Not sure why it was set up that way but whatever.