Game Day Experience 2021

blacklab

Parked near MLK and San Antonio, was all excited to take a scooter to the stadium. Little did I know the whole campus is a dead zone. Ended up having to take it a block south of mlk to turn it off. Ended up walking way more than if we had just walked strait to the stadium. Would really like an area near the stadium where you could pick up/drop them off. Obviously a few blocks away but somewhere nearby would be nice.

Got to gate 3 before 3 and didn't get into the stadium until 3:30. Only half the doors were open. Around 3:!5 they opened gate 4 which helped some, but they need to have more doors and more people working them.

I sent the kiddo to the concession stands with a $20 bill. Came back 15 minutes later and says they are card only. Oops. Sorry little man.

Godzillatron was great. Stats on one side, which didn't work the whole first half, down and distance on the other side and big replays in between. I was shocked they didn't take up space with ads around the outside of it.

Other part that surprised me was it wasn't wall to wall ads during stoppages in plays. Thanks cdc.

Bob Cole is a fucking embarrassment and needs to fucking retire. Wrong down, wrong distance on multiple occasions, still talking after play is running, talking while Card is yelling out plays, on sides kick recovery called "a reception by Moore" Just shut the fuck up already.

It was hot as fuck. Whoever said it's ok for us to play during the day near the start of September can suck my dick. Sucks the life out of the stadium, makes people leave early, and overall makes it a miserable experience. 

How was your day?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

The gate situation was a cluster. Huge lines at every gate preventing people from getting into the stadium on time and spilling on to Bevo Blvd and the Midway. At our gate, they just started letting people in without scanning tickets. I haven’t seen a gate situation that bad since a Texans-Rams game at the Coliseum. They need to let people enter at any gate. It was extremely hot on the east side of the stadium. The popcorn has sucked for years and tastes a week old. But it’s always more fun to win.

• Hook 'Em 1

it was brutally hot...

my heart rate shot up and i started feeling like i had chills at one point, like goosebumps. which i knew was...not good 😐

so we were under the stands by mid-second quarter and threw in the towel in the third when the game seemed in hand.

we entered about an hour before kickoff with no issue at all, walked right in (NE corner). it must have gotten a lot worse soon after. 

• Hook 'Em 1

They were funneling people to only a few gates with the “you must enter the gate on your ticket”. Gate 3 huge line. Gate 5 that I have always used. Almost nothing. I guess it’s only for the really high rollers now and that’s a bad look. 

The Eyes was played. The players all gathered up and stood there and either sang it or didn’t at the end of the game…but they all stood together.”

Bob Cole needs to be put out to pasture  He fucking sucks  and always has  

- Bob Cole sucked. I think once he also said “Roschon Robinson on the carry”

- concessions were a disaster for the most part. Some didn’t even open, the menu screens didn’t work at all of them, and not nearly enough workers

- gates did not open on time, but it also seemed the stadium and staff were just not completely ready for today

- the water stations did not have cold water and it was 100 fucking degrees

- the speaker system with the south end zone in place was not dialed in well. It was extremely muffled and you could hardly hear the band as it seemed they were not mic’d up well

- I had some really stupid idiots behind me kick over their beer cans and spill them on us multiple times and also complain about play calling. Also mentioned that in college the teams switch direction after every quarter. Luckily they left early.

- Smokey is loud as fuck now that the sound just bounces in the stadium

- when will level 7 and 11 bathrooms be renovated?

- saw CDC out and about so he should be somewhat aware of the deficiencies

• Hook 'Em 2

Took about 15-20 minutes to get in through Gate 6 around 3:15. But I had walked past Gate 7 to get there, which looked much worse. It looked like there were two at least 50 yard-long lines converging for the one Gate 7 entry. And they were in the sun. Just brutal.

Obviously concessions were badly understaffed. Place I was getting a burger, the worker was taking orders at the POS then walking back around to the kitchen to help with orders. Took forever.

Thought the music selection and playing was done well, good variety, volume was reasonable.

Anyone else catch the glitch in the Out of Town scores board, on at least one cycle through the scores it had every team playing against VA Tech.

Thank god I was on the West side, once the shade hit around halftime it was somewhat bearable.

Edited by LonghornSean

- concessions were a disaster for the most part. Some didn’t even open, the menu screens didn’t work at all of them, and not nearly enough workers
- gates did not open on time, but it also seemed the stadium and staff were just not completely ready for today
- the speaker system with the south end zone in place was not dialed in well. It was extremely muffled and you could hardly hear the band as it seemed they were not mic’d up well
- I had some really stupid idiots behind me kick over their beer cans and spill them on us multiple times and also complain about play calling. Also mentioned that in college the teams switch direction after every quarter. Luckily they left early.

@CDC with all your writeups or this shit will never get fixed for the common man.
  • Hook 'Em 3

DKR-TMS is a horrible place to watch a football game. Sorry. It has to be said. The jock rock sound clips have been taken to ABSURD levels. And that’s just the start of the issues. I’ve been to hundreds of college football games; more stadiums than I can count. DKR-TMS is among the worst. Fact.

Bernard

Edited by Bernard
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck You 7

DKR-TMS is a horrible place to watch a football game. Sorry. It has to be said. The jock rock sound clips have been taken to ABSURD levels. And that’s just the start of the issues. I’ve been to hundreds of college football games; more stadiums than I can count. DKR-TMS is among the worst. Fact.
Bernard

There is a lot of that and yes you are right it’s A LOT but the thing is I notice that at a lot of stadiums. Even the hallowed SEC ones. The difference is it’s not as noticeable when the team you are there for is regularly kicking ass year in and year out. Our last decade of impotence has magnified every grating thing to 11. You notice that shit a lot more when you’re mediocre (and or when you get stuck with a one million degrees outside 3:30 kickoff on September4th in Austin, Texas).

Simply put the program has made the fans more….surly.
  • Hook 'Em 5

My complaints are in the it’s happening thread. 

But entrance to the stadium was a clusterfuck until they just started waving people in. 

south end zone club seats completely empty, assume they were all inside. It looks really shitty that the first game with it was pretty much empty for the run out. Whoever thought that was a good idea didn’t think very well. 

get used to music between plays and stuff that’s just 21st century and happens everywhere now. No point in bitching because it’s not going away and you sound like a blue haired pussy. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Then quit showing up.

I like football more in person than on TV, so it’s still better than watching at home. It’s just a shame to see do many other stadiums do it so much better.

Bernard

Edited by Bernard
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Bernard said:

I like football more in person than on TV, so it’s still better than watching at home. It’s just a shame to see do many other stadiums do it so much better.

Bernard

Were literally doing what so many others do. It’s WIP considering like everything we were stuck behind time as it passed us by

Wasn’t there but I heard the Eyes pre-game was really loud, especially the student section.

I’m not sure what anyone was expecting between the heat and Covid, which is why I didn’t go. It’s a clusterfuck in normal years and why I have skipped about half our games recently. Oh, and the fact that we have sucked plays a part I guess.

7 hours ago, taybo20 said:

i tweeted this to him. lets see what he says. if anything. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Interesting to see that fans were apparently just being waved through the gates due to overcrowding.  Given the runaround I got over trying to get actual printed tickets after seeing others had gotten it done, and going to the ticket office Monday morning and getting it done with no wait at all, I wonder what the problem was in the first place.  And this was after I watched someone with experience spend over two hours trying to get the electronic tickets to download with no luck.  No problems in thirty years of season tickets, and now this bullshit.  I can't help hoping that someday Alabama plays in Austin with a national title berth at stake, and this fkn system locks up totally two hours before kickoff time.  Then an irate mob riots and trashes the stadium while bystanders wonder why I am laughing hysterically.  It's because I fkn TOLD YOU SO!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

The only oddity with TEOT before the game was they apparently piped it in to the East side since the band plays to the west side.

Synchronization must have been off. The students hit “till Gabriel blows his horn” way before the west side. Almost like Row Row Row the Boat in rounds. Oh well…it was sung loudly.

And post game the whole team gathered in front of the band and stayed through the whole song.

It was hot as fuck. Whoever said it's ok for us to play during the day near the start of September can suck my dick. Sucks the life out of the stadium, makes people leave early, and overall makes it a miserable experience. 
How was your day?

It was 72 degrees in my media room and the Yuengling beers cost me about $1.25 a piece.

So not bad, thanks for asking!

My first game this year will be in dallas. Let’s home the football gods give us sunshine and 75 degrees.
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I saw multiple tweets to CDC that the students invaded The Texas Club. Would piss me off IF I sat there. But I don’t so it’s kinda funny. 

I read in the UT student subreddit that they were turning away students with valid tickets for really no good reason

Kinda don't give a shit that the rich bluehairs that leave early and ask people to sit down during the game got their space invaded by people excited to actually watch the game

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

In section 14. I was actually fine being in the sun at the beginning of the game, but once the 1st quarter just about ended there was no breeze anymore and just brutally hot. Could see the lady was getting really red so went to the concessions to get water and seek shade, and there were tons of people lined up sitting against the walls just trying to get relief. The theme from Platoon played in my head as we walked around cooling off, seeing people with heads in their hands. By the time we got back to our seats in the mid-2nd quarter it the shade from the upper deck had already set in. 

5 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I read in the UT student subreddit that they were turning away students with valid tickets for really no good reason

Kinda don't give a shit that the rich bluehairs that leave early and ask people to sit down during the game got their space invaded by people excited to actually watch the game

Isn't the upper deck right above the students also a student section?  That was completely empty for most of the game.  Likely because they were all jammed into the lower section, which I understand.

Cell service worked on west side upper deck even during timeouts and commercials when everybody checks their phones.  It worked last year with 25% stadium attendance - but it wasn't reliable in previous years with a full stadium.

Some of the vendors couldn't get their credit card readers to work.  It was like watching a caveman trying to fly a plane.

I found it was hotter outside the stadium before the game than inside the stadium (west side upper deck).  

Went into stadium early because I guessed the entrances would be backed due to the mobile tickets.  Very little wait at Gate 3 when we went in early. 

Since we got into the stadium early, there were no beer lines inside.  Pregame beer lines outside stadium were long.

As we left and went down the escalators (west side upper deck), it seemed staff weren't metering the flow.   Got a little scary backed up on one of the landings.

The heat was conducive to mini sundresses and halter tops - which was nice. 

Edited by Shaggybevo
Added beer comment.

6 minutes ago, Shaggybevo said:

As we left and went down the escalators (west side upper deck), it seemed staff weren't metering the flow.   Got a little scary backed up on one of the landings.

That has alway been one of my big fears and generally they have been pretty good at monitoring it - for decades. 

I wonder why it was different yesterday. 

30 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I saw multiple tweets to CDC that the students invaded The Texas Club. Would piss me off IF I sat there. But I don’t so it’s kinda funny. 

There were more students in the Texas club than season ticket holders it seemed. They would go up to the walkway under the suites on the east side and come down the club stairs and head straight inside. I thought it was funny because I would have done the same thing but I understand why a lot of people were pissed. 

7 hours ago, pacman said:

Purposely bought west side, row 52 for the shade. It paid off big time as was never really uncomfortable. Older alumni were okay with me standing and making noise for the D. Most of them joined in as well but they were gone early in the 4th.

We entered early to see the museum again, so no issues at the gate.

I will say the phone scanning tech just plain blows. It is the same way at Austin FC games with 20k. No surprise it is exacerbated with 100k at dkr.

I love Earl Campbell. Hopefully, it is not uncomfortable for him that I love him this much. A real treat to see him on field....except the camera man sucked with his zoom in that couldn't handle a seated Earl next to a standing Ricky. Dumbfuck.

Concessions were a disaster but I expected as much. If restaurants can't get workers, I can imagine the line is short to work in UT concession stands during a 97 degree game. Those hot boxes have to reach 110 degrees on a day like today. f that

The deep eddy stand in nez is awesome, wish there were more stands.

My daughter went with me. I always get teary eyed during the pregame eyes, when one of the kids is there with me. I owe our great school all that is good in my life.

pic of daughter not loading up

• Hook 'Em 1

the East side concessions is a major clusterfuck every game.  having those beer stands right in the upper walkway is stupid. the lines block the path every game. Also, I'm thinking they need to get rid of the draft beer in most areas.  it takes too goddam long.  just do cans and have plenty of fucking ice.  this isn't hard.

Also, they need to have water only stations.  

CDC needs to get out of his damn box and walk around on the east side about mid 2nd quarter

47 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

the East side concessions is a major clusterfuck every game.  having those beer stands right in the upper walkway is stupid. the lines block the path every game. Also, I'm thinking they need to get rid of the draft beer in most areas.  it takes too goddam long.  just do cans and have plenty of fucking ice.  this isn't hard.

Also, they need to have water only stations.  

CDC needs to get out of his damn box and walk around on the east side about mid 2nd quarter

It was definitely a cluster fuck. But I wonder if it was worse yesterday because so many people needed to get out of the heat.

There was a water station near my section that was cold and full the whole time, so it was nice to throw down a couple cups to stay hydrated instead of waiting in a long line to pay for bottled water.

And it was so hot that yesterday was the first time I never had to take a piss during the game.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 1

Gate 14 had few people in comparison to gate 8 and 7. It felt like a quarter of the stadium was trying to get in at 3:30 through those two gates. I have always used gate 14. Person only made me scan one ticket for party of 7 and then let us through. Someone said they have been to every game for the last 20 years and had never seen such a mess at the gates. To much music and not enough band but less adds and nice replays was great.

8 minutes ago, South Austin said:

It was definitely a cluster fuck. But I wonder if it was worse yesterday because so many people needed to get out of the heat.

There was a water station near my section that was cold and full the whole time, so it was nice to throw down a couple cups to stay hydrated instead of spending waiting in a long line to pay for bottled water.

And it was so hot that yesterday was the first time I never had to take a piss during the game.

its not always that bad when it isn't hot but..hey every game in Sept is hot pretty much so you need to expect it.  Yes I meant bottled water station.

It wasn't quite Standford 99 brutal but it was close.  the new scoreboard/end zone doesn't help the airflow at all either.  

They need to fix the concession situation asap it hasn't been as much of an issue because we've sucked for 10 years.  the games with SEC opponents are going to be packed.

There is plenty of room to put the beer stations away from the walkways.

THey should have a ton of raised rotating fans everywhere underneath.  the electricity cost is minimal and it makes a big difference