Super Mario Bros. Staring Chris Pratt and Anya Taylor-Joy

Viper

Anya Taylor-Joy seems like the perfect person to play Peach. 

I feel like this could be good especially given that Jack Black has pretty much been only on Twitch for like the last 5 years (last thing I remember was The Brink). I hope he signed on because he thought it would be good. Charlie Day seems like a good nerd pick also. 

I really hope this isn’t a remake of the original. There’s so many more storylines to draw from. 

5 hours ago, Tommy Shelby said:

I feel like this could be good especially given that Jack Black has pretty much been only on Twitch for like the last 5 years (last thing I remember was The Brink). I hope he signed on because he thought it would be good. Charlie Day seems like a good nerd pick also. 

He killed it in the Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle and its sequel, both of which were pretty big, quality movies.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

The trailer looks cool. I love Jack Black, could not care less about Mario and his lack of a posterior or Chris Pratt's normal voice, but Illumination is the best in the animation game (sorry Pixar), so they've earned the benefit of the doubt that this will be good-to-great.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 5 months later...

Taking the kids to the Alamo tomorrow night. I’m sure they’ll have some cool shit before the movie.

Hopefully they include the part on 3-1 when you jump on that turtle shell so many times that you get unlimited free men and they have to represent the number with flags and shit.

THIS

2 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Was a fun movie, but prolly wait until it is streaming unless you have little cretins.

I have kids, they loved it. For the first time ever they asked to go back and watch it again. Might go back tomorrow if they are good and clean their rooms.

It’s entertaining just not great cinema but I didn’t go into it thinking I’d get the Godfather like some of the critics seemed to expect. I saw one review that said the critics are writing it off as a less of a movie and more fan service, where as the audience score is like “ITS AMAZING FAN SERVICE!”

But Jack Black’s Bowser stole the show. I wouldn’t have expected some of the decisions they made with his character but it was perfect.

Wife enjoyed how they portrayed Peach too, not the helpless damsel in distress, but not overshadowing the main character (that the studios often do when trying to comply with the #metoo movement).

Also they ‘fixed’ Mario’s voice it seems from the early audio that was leaked. It worked enough and humanized him more and made the movie far more watchable in my opinion than if I had to listen to the thick cartoony Italian accent for 90 minutes straight.

There are post credits scenes. One mid credits worth staying for and a very small clip at the end that not really worth it.

Edited by TKthunder2

+1 (or 1up?) on this. My 4 and 6 boys both loved it. The story wasn’t stupid or a remake. Each character had some depth and their own motivations. Lots of Easter eggs and NES and MarioKart throwbacks. Bowser was probably the best character, but all the Kongs were funny as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

Saw it at the drive in with the kids, thoroughly enjoyed it. My son wore his Mario pjs and had fun. I know I missed a bunch of stuff and will rewatch. It’s clearly set up to be a bunch more sequels and I’m here for it. The post post credit scene was worth it for me, answered a big question I had.

• Hook 'Em 2

Its crushing

Box Office: ‘Super Mario Bros.’ Heading for Record $195M U.S. Opening, $368M Globally

The movie is on course to score the second-best start of all time for an animated pic at the domestic box office and the biggest worldwide. Elsewhere, Ben Affleck's drama 'Air' is picking up steam.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/super-mario-bros-movie-box-office-1235369036/amp/

1UP x 4. Took my daughter 10) and nephews (13 and 6) yesterday. Just enough callbacks to Mario games old and new, and as mentioned above Peach was a badass and not just a helpless damsel in distress. “Punch Out Cafe” was a nice nod to the parents in the audience. Jack Black channeling his inner Meatloaf was lulz. All of us really liked it.

The studio picked the perfect weekend to open; every showing at my local Cinemark yesterday was 90% sold out. 

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

Peach was a badass and not just a helpless damsel in distress.  

My daughter and I had this exact same conversation yesterday and we used the exact same line about Peaches not being a helpless damsel in distress. Her character could have easily been the weak link that dragged the movie down, but she was great. Fun movie. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Loved it, as did my 7 year old. I'm not a movie re-watcher at all, once is enough for me, but I felt compelled to see this once more in the theatre to catch all the easter eggs and subtle jokes i missed. 

[As an aside, the referbished Flix Brewhouse is fantastic. Its like peak Alamo Drafthouse circa 2004-2008. Same pre-movie entertainment, but every menu item is made in house, including their own pizza starter, hummus, all that stuff. And beers were like 6-6.50 depending on the style and the two I had were pretty damned good (a peach IPA and a coffee porter). Alamo's food is shite now and the beer prices are absurd, like $9-$12 for a pint wtf? Flix's seats were gigantic and go back further than Alamo's. 11/10 experience. Anyway, probably my default theatre now.]

• Hook 'Em 2

Same same.  Took the kids. They loved it.  Peaches Peaches songnkilled them.  The Blue Shell scene got me.  Before that koopa even said anything I’m like pointing “Oh shit! Blue shell!  They are fucked!”   Without the cursing of course.  

Someone school me on what the nihilistic glowy character in the cage was.