Fuck the Police!!!!!!!!!!!

Bernard

1 hour ago, gofuckyourself said:

Anyone in Texas - and I'm curious at what distances from the location for others - receive two or more "blue alerts" for "injury to an officer" in Harris Cointy?

173 miles away, for me.

Suspect is a black male wearing gray shorts and a blue shirt so I know I'm on high alert now. Let's all keep an eye out, mmmkay?

My "severe alert" setting on my phone is labeled "severe threats to life and property." Silly me, I thought it was my life or property.

Yup, received two (11:30p/6:30a), 175 miles away. It's a dangerous abuse of the statewide emergency alert system. How many Texans turned off emergency alerts in their phone settings this morning because of this? I only have them active on my phone right now because of the increased wildfire risk, and as soon as we get some rain I'm turning that shit off again until next summer.

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

I got two. One last night around 11:40 and one this morning around 6:30.  I live in NE Tarrant County.  Fuck that bullshit.  

Exact same thing here in Cedar Park. My Do Not Disturb setting saved me from the one just before midnight (other than the screen lighting up), and I was downstairs having coffee when the 6:30 blast came out. I'm surprised they didn't fire up the new tornado sirens in CP to make sure no one missed the alert.

I also love how the alert just assumes the suspect is gonna stay in Texas only.   I mean, Loozy Anna is closer to Harris County than Travis County is.

And I ended up getting a total of 3 of the alerts, one around 1030, one around 1130 and then the 630 one as well.

So this blue alert just expects anyone in Texas within a 3 hour drive of the event needs to be made aware of it? Thats fucking ridiculous and a way to guarantee even fewer people let the Alert features run on their phone.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

I got two. One last night around 11:40 and one this morning around 6:30.  I live in NE Tarrant County.  Fuck that bullshit.  

Yep those exact times for me as well.

I didn't get a single severe alert for recent wildfires a few miles from my home, but I got this same one twice while sleeping.

• Like 1

Mississippi judge declares mistrial for 2 white men charged in attack on Black FedEx driver

BROOKHAVEN, Miss. (AP) — Citing errors by police, a Mississippi judge declared a mistrial Thursday in the case of two white men accused of chasing and shooting at a Black FedEx driver who was making a delivery.

Brandon Case and his father, Gregory Case, are charged with attempted first-degree murder, conspiracy and shooting into the vehicle driven by D’Monterrio Gibson in January 2022. Gibson, now 25, was not injured. But the chase and gunfire led to complaints on social media of racism in Brookhaven, about an hour’s drive south of the state capital, Jackson.

Judge David Strong said he made the mistrial decision because of errors by a Brookhaven Police Department detective. On Wednesday, the judge ended the session early after Detective Vincent Fernando acknowledged under oath while the jury was out of the courtroom that he had not previously given prosecutors or defense attorneys a videotaped statement police had taken from Gibson.

The judge said the officer also improperly testified about guns found in the home of one of the men on trial and shell casings found outside the home. Defense attorneys requested the mistrial, and Strong said he had no choice but to grant it.

“In 17 years, I don’t think I’ve seen it,” the judge said of the errors.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Only if it exists. Also, I’m not sure they can release it during the investigation. One of the law dogs will have to confirm that.

I probably should have added more context. As far as I know the footage exists and there's no related investigation but this is what the city returns on my public information request

The City has made certain redactions pursuant to a previous determination issued by the Texas Attorney General’s Office, specifically Tex. Atty. Gen. ORD 684. Redactions may include Texas Driver’s License numbers, social security numbers, account numbers, motor vehicle information including license plates and VIN numbers.  Video and audio recordings cannot be redacted and therefore will be withheld.

50 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Only if it exists. Also, I’m not sure they can release it during the investigation. One of the law dogs will have to confirm that.

funny.

how many times in Austin alone in the last 10 years has APD released body cam video of an incident that clearly shows the cops acting correctly within weeks of the event, even if the offender was still alive and had active charges?

Answer is at least 10 times.

Now, how many times in those same 10 years has body camera footage that shows ANY ambiguity on the part of the cops actions see the light of day before the trial?

Answer is NEVER.

And in addition every instance when a FOIA request is made on those, the cops will hide behind the "active investigation- charges pending" bullshit. 

Its not until the criminal charges are dropped/plea bargained/Verdict made that they then get released, which is usually 18-24 months after the incident. and by then the officer who fucked up has been "internally punished" by being forced to sit at a desk for a week, while still getting full pay.

https://apnews.com/article/constitutional-sheriffs-5568cd0b6b27680a28de8a098ed14210

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (AP) — Against the background hum of the convention center, Dar Leaf settled into a club chair to explain the sacred mission of America’s sheriffs, his bright blue eyes and warm smile belying the intensity of the cause.

“The sheriff is supposed to be protecting the public from evil,” the chief law enforcement officer for Barry County, Michigan, said during a break in the National Sheriffs’ Association 2023 conference in June. “When your government is evil or out of line, that’s what the sheriff is there for, protecting them from that.”

Leaf is on the advisory board of the Constitutional Sheriffs and Peace Officers Association, founded in 2011 by former Arizona sheriff Richard Mack. The group, known as CSPOA, teaches that elected sheriffs must “protect their citizens from the overreach of an out-of-control federal government” by refusing to enforce any law they deem unconstitutional or “unjust.”

“The safest way to actually achieve that is to have local law enforcement understand that they have no obligation to enforce such laws,” Mack said in an interview. “They’re not laws at all anyway. If they’re unjust laws, they are laws of tyranny.”

The sheriffs group has railed against gun control laws, COVID-19 mask mandates and public health restrictions, as well as alleged election fraud. It has also quietly spread its ideology across the country, seeking to become more mainstream in part by securing state approval for taxpayer-funded law enforcement training, the Howard Center for Investigative Journalism found.

Over the last five years, the group has hosted trainings, rallies, speeches and meetings in at least 30 states for law enforcement officers, political figures, private organizations and members of the public, according to the Howard Center’s seven-month probe, conducted in collaboration with the Arizona Center for Investigative Reporting.

The group has held formal trainings on its “constitutional” curriculum for law enforcement officers in at least 13 of those states. In six states, the training was approved for officers’ continuing education credits. The group also has supporters who sit on three state boards in charge of law enforcement training standards.

Legal experts warn that such training — especially when it’s approved for state credit — can undermine the democratic processes enshrined in the U.S. Constitution and is part of what Mary McCord, a former federal prosecutor and executive director of the Institute for Constitutional Advocacy and Protection at Georgetown University, called a “broader insurrectionist ideology” that has gripped the nation since the 2020 presidential election.

“They have no authority, not under their state constitutions or implementing statutes to decide what’s constitutional and what’s not constitutional. That’s what courts have the authority to do, not sheriffs,” McCord said.

“There’s another sort of evil lurking there,” McCord added, “because CSPOA is now essentially part of a broader movement in the United States to think it’s OK to use political violence if we disagree with some sort of government policy.”

At least one state, Texas, canceled credit for the sheriffs’ training after determining the course content – which it said included a reference to “this is a war” – was more political than educational. But other states, such as Tennessee, have approved the training, in part because it was hosted by a local law enforcement agency.

Unlike other law enforcement continuing education, such as firearms training, the sheriffs’ curriculum is largely a polemic on the alleged constitutional underpinnings of sheriffs’ absolute authority to both interpret and refuse to enforce certain laws. One brochure advertising the group’s seminars states: “The County Sheriff is the one who can say to the feds, ‘Beyond these bounds you shall not pass.’”

Since 2018, the Howard Center-AZCIR investigation found, at least 69 sheriffs nationwide have either been identified as members of the group or publicly supported it, though at least one later disavowed the organization. A 2021 survey of sheriffs by academic researchers working with the nonprofit Marshall Project found that more than 200 of the estimated 500 sheriffs who responded agreed with the group’s ideology.

In addition, reporters found, at least a dozen U.S. counties influenced by the sheriffs group have considered “constitutional county” resolutions over the past two years. The resolutions range from a simple reaffirmation of support for the constitutional rights of county residents to empowering local government, including sheriffs, to refuse to enforce state and federal laws they interpret as unconstitutional. Officials in two Nevada counties – Lander and Elko – have become official CSPOA constitutional counties, a step that includes a $2,500 lifetime fee paid directly to the sheriffs group.

Nationwide, there are some 3,000 sheriffs, whose salaries are funded by taxpayers. They serve as the chief law enforcement officers in their counties and are the only elected peace officers in the country. They appoint deputy sheriffs and jailers and service the courts in their jurisdictions. Especially in rural areas, sheriffs hold immense sway over what happens in their county.

Amy Cooter, research director at the Middlebury Institute Center on Terrorism, Extremism and Counterterrorism, said many sheriffs join the group from “a misinformed but well-meaning perspective.” But, she added, it also allows some sheriffs to “potentially engage in extremism by not enforcing legal, lawful, legitimate orders.”

Some states have pushed back against the group’s training efforts, and not all sheriffs subscribe to the group’s ideology. Many at the National Sheriffs’ Association conference distanced themselves from the constitutional sheriffs or claimed not to know what they were about.

“When I took an oath 17 years ago as sheriff, I took the oath to uphold the Constitution, not overstep it,” said Troy Wellman, sheriff of Moody County, South Dakota, and a vice president of the National Sheriffs’ Association.

And there has been public pushback in some counties led by “constitutional sheriffs.” In Klickitat County, Washington, residents alleged Sheriff Bob Songer, a board member of the sheriffs group, engaged in fearmongering and intimidation. He was the target of a formal complaint in 2022 that the state’s law enforcement standards agency ultimately dismissed for lack of jurisdiction.

The public-facing image of the sheriffs group, which is led by white men, prominently features the American flag and the experiences of Black civil rights icons who pushed back against unjust laws. But details of its operations are closely held, and its finances are shielded from public scrutiny. It was briefly registered as a nonprofit in Arizona, but internal records indicate it is now a private company.

The group does not release its list of dues-paying members, nor does it publicize information about where or how it conducts trainings. The sympathies of the group’s leaders for right-wing, white-nationalist extremist causes, however, are well documented.

Mack was an early board member of the Oath Keepers, the group involved in the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol. Although he said he split with the group several years ago when it became a militia, Mack still speaks at Oath Keeper-affiliated rallies.

Leaf was investigated, but not charged, in connection with the Michigan attorney general’s investigation into the alleged illegal seizure and breach of vote-counting machines in 2020. He also appeared at an election-denier rally with two men later charged in the conspiracy to kidnap Michigan’s Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer.

Michael Peroutka, another sheriffs group board member and former candidate for Maryland’s attorney general, was once affiliated with the League of the South, which supports “a free and independent Southern republic.” At a 2019 sheriffs’ training event, he said, “There is a creator God. Our rights come from him. The purpose of civil government is to secure and defend God-given rights.”

Jon Lewis, a research fellow at George Washington University’s Program on Extremism, described the sheriffs group as “insidious” and said it had become “mainstream standard-bearers for entrance into more violent forms of extremism.”

“Just because it’s not as overt in their subversion of the democratic system, just because it’s quieter about how it does it and what it’s calling for, doesn’t make the ideas any less dangerous,” said Lewis.

hansolo-fine.gif

Nothing to see here. Just move along. Everything's fine. 

Philly cops shoot and kill motorist in traffic stop. Initially, police tell reporters the motorist was given multiple commands to drop a weapon before he was shot. Two days later, surveillance footage provided by a local resident shows otherwise. Video shows cop shot six times into the vehicle after yelling "Show me your hands!" twice. Cop apparently says "Drop the knife!" as he's shooting the driver dead. I know this will come as a shock but the driver was not white.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/22/us/eddie-irizarry-family-philadelphia-police-shooting/index.html

An attorney representing the family of a 27-year-old man who was shot and killed by a Philadelphia police officer last Monday released new surveillance video of the fatal police encounter that contradicts the initial narrative of the incident as provided by police.

Police initially told reporters that officers gave the man multiple commands to drop a weapon while he was outside his vehicle. Two days later, Philadelphia Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw said the shooting occurred while the man was inside the vehicle, citing body worn camera footage that “made it very clear what we initially reported was not actually what happened.”

The family of Eddie Irizarry spoke to reporters on August 22 about the video from a private resident that tells a very different story from the police.

In a birds-eye view of the police encounter, surveillance video provided by a local resident shows Eddie Irizarry pulling into a parking spot, running over orange traffic cones in the process, and parking before a police vehicle pulls up to the passenger side of his car a few seconds later in a narrow residential street.

Video shows an officer exiting the passenger side of the patrol vehicle and pulling out a firearm from his belt as he crosses the front of the patrol vehicle and heads toward Irizarry’s car yelling what sounds like, “Show us your hands!” and then “Show me your hands” two times.

Aunt of man killed by Philadelphia officer says family is 'frustrated' after police change initial narrative

Approximately five seconds elapse between the time that the officer gets out of his patrol car, runs over to the driver’s side of Irizarry’s vehicle, and fires his gun what appears to be six times with at least one shot striking Irizarry’s front windshield. While firing his weapon, the officer is heard shouting what sounds like, “Drop the knife!”

As the officer runs over toward Irizarry who’s seated in the driver’s seat, Irizarry is seen pulling up the driver’s side window before the officer shoots inside his vehicle.

The video shows the officer appearing to recoil and run back toward his patrol car as he’s shooting at Irizarry.

Both officers responding to the traffic stop then appear to try to get into Irizarry’s vehicle but the doors are locked. The officers are then able to open Irizarry’s car and then drag him out of the vehicle and place him into the patrol car.

Family waiting for body camera footage to be released

“The narrative that he was out (of) the car, lunging at police, didn’t really comport with what our eyes saw from the very beginning,” Irizarry family attorney Shaka Johnson told reporters Tuesday afternoon. “But, we like to trust our local government and so we figured we’d maybe wait until the body worn camera footage was released to reconcile what we saw versus what we heard.”

Johnson said that the City Solicitor’s Office had extended an invitation to Irizarry’s family to privately watch the body worn camera footage last Friday but then the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office rescinded that offer, citing an ongoing investigation.

The attorney said that he will turn over the surveillance footage of the incident to all law enforcement agencies investigating the fatal shooting.

So far the family hasn’t seen this footage.

Instead, the victim’s family and their attorney successfully canvassed the neighborhood asking for people to help and provide them with any surveillance footage, or doorbell camera footage that they had from the day and time of the incident.

“What about what you just saw could ever be confused as, ‘He got out of the car and lunged at police officers’? Not a single thing,” Johnson told reporters.

“I think as part of the investigation, a part of what we would like answered, is who gave that initial information to the public information officer?” Johnson said Tuesday.

Law enforcement has not reached out to Irizarry’s family to provide any update on the investigation or to provide them further details on the case, Johnson said.

Jane Roh, a spokesperson for Philadelphia District Attorney Larry Krasner disputed that claim, saying that the office has been in constant contact with Irizarry’s family through their attorney and is looking forward to meeting them in person.

The special investigations unit in the DA’s office is investigating the incident, saying in a statement Tuesday that “the DA’s Office intends to keep its sworn obligation to seek justice for all those involved in the fatal shooting of Mr. Irizarry, as well as for all those Philadelphians who are not directly involved but who care deeply about fairness, justice, and independence.”

In an interview with CNN on Friday, Irizarry’s aunt, Zoraida Garcia, said the family believes there may have been a language barrier between Irizarry and the police because he did not speak English well.

He had moved from Puerto Rico to Philadelphia seven years ago, she explained.

Edited by C-Man

^^^^

A story that further proves the point that you can tell when a cop is lying: it's whenever he's saying something verbally or in writing.

Seriously, the ubiquitous culture of casual lying by cops should be admissible evidence in every criminal case, to cast doubt (certainly a reasonable doubt) on any testimony offered by a cop.  Which pisses me off, because by their habitual lying, cops are further endangering the public: in my mind, we cannot convict a defendant based solely on the word of cops.  Line up 5 cops who say "yeah, I saw the defendant beat up that lady and take her purse," I'm not convicting unless there is some NON-cop testimony or evidence (video, etc.) to corroborate it.  Because otherwise, it's equally plausible that one of the cops has a beef with defendant, and the 5 cops got together to concoct a story to put the defendant away.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

“Johnson said that the City Solicitor’s Office had extended an invitation to Irizarry’s family to privately watch the body worn camera footage last Friday but then the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office rescinded that offer, citing an ongoing investigation.”

We know what that means. The body cam footage is not going to be good for the cops. There’s a decent chance the victim had no knife. Even if he did, though, that hardly justifies shooting him while he’s just sitting in his car. 

• Hook 'Em 1

yeah the average american (i.e. moron) doesnt seem to understand that just because you hate the cops/ dont trust them, not every shooting of an "innocent" person in a car is a bad shoot.

yes, the cops are trigger happy because they have to make it home to their families above the public.   

But got damn, they are giving you a lawful order (even if you dont believe it) you are running over a cop, that takes it to level 11

^^^^
A story that further proves the point that you can tell when a cop is lying: it's whenever he's saying something verbally or in writing.
Seriously, the ubiquitous culture of casual lying by cops should be admissible evidence in every criminal case, to cast doubt (certainly a reasonable doubt) on any testimony offered by a cop.  Which pisses me off, because by their habitual lying, cops are further endangering the public: in my mind, we cannot convict a defendant based solely on the word of cops.  Line up 5 cops who say "yeah, I saw the defendant beat up that lady and take her purse," I'm not convicting unless there is some NON-cop testimony or evidence (video, etc.) to corroborate it.  Because otherwise, it's equally plausible that one of the cops has a beef with defendant, and the 5 cops got together to concoct a story to put the defendant away.

I am kind of surprised that attorneys don’t do this.

I guess technically that is a good shoot but I don't understand why a cop would position himself in front of the car in that situation. Also if she just wanted to plow over the cop she could have just mashed the gas and rolled right over him, instead she turned her wheel in attempts to avoid him. Didn't look too me like he was ever in grave danger but maybe he wanted to be certain he made it home safe that night. This is probably more of cops are very bad at their jobs than a bad shoot. I wonder if it was ever confirmed she was stealing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SarkAfterDark said:

This is probably more of cops are very bad at their jobs than a bad shoot.

Cops aren't trained to avoid conflict and deescalate. They're trained to occupy and be constantly alert for literally anyone to harm them. That way, when they inevitably shoot someone, they can justifiably say they """feared for their life""". It's the basis of the warrior cop training bullshit ever since Graham v Connor changed the legal paradigm from "did the cop act with malice to abuse their power against a citizen" instead to "is there any possible way this could be seen as a reasonable reaction". 

Fast forward 30 years, and you get Eric Garner and George Floyd. And all the other fun that comes with an occupying force masquerading as law enforcement 

Edited by Captainant
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 9/3/2023 at 8:32 AM, SarkAfterDark said:

I guess technically that is a good shoot but I don't understand why a cop would position himself in front of the car in that situation. Also if she just wanted to plow over the cop she could have just mashed the gas and rolled right over him, instead she turned her wheel in attempts to avoid him. Didn't look too me like he was ever in grave danger but maybe he wanted to be certain he made it home safe that night. This is probably more of cops are very bad at their jobs than a bad shoot. I wonder if it was ever confirmed she was stealing.

So he could be legally justified for using deadly force if the vehicle moved.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

On 8/17/2023 at 1:31 PM, Captainant said:

On Wednesday, the judge ended the session early after Detective Vincent Fernando acknowledged under oath while the jury was out of the courtroom that he had not previously given prosecutors or defense attorneys a videotaped statement police had taken from Gibson.

To be fair, Brady is fairly recent.  Only decades before Mississippi adopted the 14th Amendment in fact. 

It would be incredibly easy to pull together a database whereby defense attorneys or the public could document instances of police getting caught fibbing in official statements or testimony. A local cop wikileaks, basically. All of which could he used to impugn any particular cop so documented as being external evidence that goes to a cops credibility. But I don't have the guts to do that - that's a great way to get framed up and have your life ruined. 

JFC. https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/08/us/philadelphia-eddie-irizarry-police-shooting.html

A Philadelphia police officer was charged with murder after he fatally shot a 27-year-old man who was in his car at near point-blank range, prosecutors announced on Friday, weeks after top police officials announced that body camera footage of the killing showed a different account than what the officer initially described.

In addition to the first-degree murder charge, the officer, Mark Dial, was charged with voluntary manslaughter, aggravated assault, simple assault, possession of an instrument of crime, reckless endangerment of another person and official oppression in the shooting death of Eddie Irizarry, prosecutors said at a news conference on Friday.

Mr. Dial fatally shot Mr. Irizarry around noon on Aug. 14 after what the police initially said was a car chase ending in Mr. Irizarry lunging at them with a knife. But police officials said two days later that body camera footage showed that the man was still in his car when the officer shot him. The fatal shooting and changing account sparked community anger and protests.

In an unusual move, Judge Christian DiCicco of the Philadelphia Municipal Court set bail for Mr. Dial at $500,000. According to court records, a third party posted the requisite $50,000 deposit on Mr. Dial’s behalf, allowing him to be released.

I saw another version of that article stating that the cops were trying to figure out "how the incorrect series of events was presented as the main narrative by their spokepeople"

I mean, its just a complete fucking mystery there Doc.    the usual fucking story that the cops fucking present every, single time, that it was a totally good shoot guy was charging him.

OHHH, you mean he was sitting in his car, showing no actual instant threat, and NOT charging you with a knife,   totally a normal mistake Doc. 

and that completely matches the original story of being charged by a dude with a knife. .... NOPE.  try again.

fuck, will these assholes ever stop with the bullshit story of being in fear of their life every fucking time they fuckup?

Edited by AUS-97HORN
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Investigation launched into tape of Seattle police guild leaders downplaying death of woman struck by officer:

A Seattle police watchdog agency is investigating rank-and-file union leaders over body-camera audio in which they laugh, joke about and downplay the death of a young woman struck by a police cruiser, suggesting her life had “limited value” and that the city should “just write a check.”

Officer Daniel Auderer, vice president of the Seattle Police Officers Guild, inadvertently left his body camera running after responding Jan. 23 to South Lake Union, where another officer, Kevin Dave, struck and killed Jaahnavi Kandula while driving 74 mph on the way to a report of an overdose.

Kandula, who had been in a crosswalk at Thomas Street and Dexter Avenue North, was thrown over 100 feet. The 23-year-old died later that night.

Auderer, a drug-recognition officer assigned to determine whether Dave was under the influence, concluded his colleague was not impaired. After finishing his routine analysis, he called SPOG President Mike Solan, and the pair talked for two minutes.

Only Auderer’s side of the conversation is audible in the body-camera footage released Monday. In the conversation, he laughs about the deadly crash and dismisses any implication the officer might be at fault or that a criminal investigation was necessary.

He also laughed several times, saying at one point: “Yeah, just write a check.”

“Eleven thousand dollars. She was 26 anyway,” Auderer said, misstating the victim’s age. “She had limited value.”

Auderer acknowledged his role in the investigation as an impairment recognition officer but said the conversation was “private” and meant to be part of his duties as a SPOG representative, according to what Jason Rantz, a conservative KTTH talk-show host, described as a self-reported complaint to Seattle’s Office of Police Accountability.

Neither Auderer nor Solan responded to a request for comment Monday.

Rantz obtained the complaint after The Seattle Times and other media learned of the recording and sought to obtain it through public disclosure requests. The King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office, meanwhile, is conducting a criminal review of the crash.

Auderer’s complaint said he called Solan “to explain what happened” and that he inadvertently left his body camera running, according to a Sept. 6 KTTH story. He said when he realized this — knowing the incomplete conversation would “sound bad” — he self-reported the incident to the OPA.

Chief Adrian Diaz, in a statement posted Monday, said the department learned of the conversation not from Auderer, but from an employee who listened to it “during the routine course of business.” That employee became concerned and took it up the chain of command.

OPA Director Gino Betts Jr. confirmed the watchdog agency’s investigation and that it was initiated after SPD attorney Rebecca Boatright emailed the OPA on Aug. 2.

The Community Police Commission, another SPD oversight body, characterized the body-camera audio as “heartbreaking and shockingly insensitive,” saying it “speaks to the concerns that the [CPC] has repeatedly raised about elements of Seattle Police Department culture and SPOG resistance to officer accountability measures.”

“The people of Seattle deserve better from a police department that is charged with fostering trust with the community and ensuring public safety,” the commission’s members said in a joint statement.

According to KTTH, Auderer reported Solan “lamented” the young woman’s death during their initial conversation, Auderer’s half of which is recorded on the body camera, and said it was unfortunate her death would “turn into lawyers arguing ‘the value of human life.’ ”

“I responded with something like: ‘She’s 26 years old. What value is there? Who cares?’ I intended the comment as a mockery of lawyers,” Auderer reported, according to KTTH. “I laughed at the ridiculousness of how these incidents are litigated and the ridiculousness of how I watched these incidents play out as two parties bargain over a tragedy.”

Auderer acknowledged, according to KTTH, that anyone listening to the body-camera recording “would rightfully believe I was being insensitive to the loss of human life.”

He reported the comment “was not made with malice or a hard heart.”

Kandula was set to graduate this coming December with a master’s degree in information systems from the Seattle campus of Northeastern University. Her family said she was working toward supporting her mother in India. Instead, her uncle, Ashok Mandula, of Houston, had to make arrangements to send her body to her mother.

“The family has nothing to say,” he said Monday. “Except I wonder if these men’s daughters or granddaughters have value. A life is a life.”

Mayor Bruce Harrell’s office declined to comment on the OPA investigation or its possible impact on the ongoing contract negotiations between the city and police guild, which have been without a contract for two years.

“We are prohibited from commenting on active labor negotiations,” said mayoral spokesperson Jamie Housen, who added that the mayor would not comment on the ongoing OPA case.

“Once a decision is issued and the case is complete, we will be able to share a statement,” Housen said, adding that the city has a “robust police accountability system, and Mayor Harrell is grateful this strong system is in place to deal with incidents like this swiftly, objectively, and comprehensively.”

The only proper words for this would get me arrested.

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Cosign.  The most dangerous, contemptible criminal gang in the US is the one that supposedly is sworn to "serve and protect" us.  That hypocrisy is what makes them the worst.  At least common street gangs make no bones about the fact that they don't give a shit who gets hurt.  This gang is supposedly heroes whose job it is to protect the people.  Instead....we are disposable, and our deaths at their hands not only mean nothing, they are a laughing matter.

There is no reforming the culture of American policing.  Yet, we also can't just get rid of policing.  We are stuck in an abusive relationship, and the abuser is just getting bolder by the day.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Cosign.  The most dangerous, contemptible criminal gang in the US is the one that supposedly is sworn to "serve and protect" us.  That hypocrisy is what makes them the worst.  At least common street gangs make no bones about the fact that they don't give a shit who gets hurt.  This gang is supposedly heroes whose job it is to protect the people.  Instead....we are disposable, and our deaths at their hands not only mean nothing, they are a laughing matter.

There is no reforming the culture of American policing.  Yet, we also can't just get rid of policing.  We are stuck in an abusive relationship, and the abuser is just getting bolder by the day.

Wrong. Common street gangs typically don't kill people that aren't in the game. They literally care more about keeping normal people safe than the police do.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

my fav part about the story is that even the most basic "fact" takes on two different versions in the article.

the dipshit supervisor who left his mic hot, claims he self-reported the incident because he knew it "looked bad"

Meanwhile the oversight agency says that whoever was reviewing the tape is literally the person that opened the investigation and sent up higher for review.

that's uh, two very different versions of the same story there doc

Edited by AUS-97HORN

12 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

You think this dipshit will get fired?

Some gold in the Reddit comments. 

I’m saying man there wouldn’t even be an investigation if you dropped someone. they’d see the ballistics report comes back to one of them and throw the case out.

• Like 1

Terrible story about the shooting death of the officer in California, sitting in his quad car, and essentially claimed executed.  

I am watching the press conference where they have a suspect arrested. First, I’m amazed they have a suspect who is not dead…so kudos to them.  Second, nowhere in the press conference have I heard a comment about the presumption of innocence re: the suspect they arrested. It’s essentially presented as a fait accompli.   This bothers me a bit (of course, without knowing what evidence they have….confession, gun ballistic match, etc) 

So as terrible as that is, and as great as it is to find the killer, if accurate, it would be nice if police departments would drop everything and put 100% of the department resources into investigating murders when it doesn’t involve a cop. But we all know that ain’t happening. 

I could have sworn I started a thread on Clay County Sheriff Jeff Lyde. Total asshole Oath Keeper, MAGA, above the law type. It was so bad a Montage County jury actually convicted him. That's shocking. So shocking Rolling Stone is covering it.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/oath-keeper-sheriff-convicted-violating-inmate-rights-1234827432/

Sheriff Jeff Lyde.

• Hook 'Em 1

DA's already have a list of cops not to put on the stand.

That’s a totally naive take. I can tell you first hand that there some counties that do not even maintain a list AT ALL, much less give a single shit about putting them on the stand.

I’m on a mission currently to get a cop terminated in Gatesville. He’s been there less than a year. He was at KISD prior to that for about a year. He was hired there after being fired by KPD for excessive force and misleading his supervisor regarding facts pertaining to probable cause, in order to get authorization to strip swatch a suspect.

I’ve started just emailing all individual prosecuting attorneys the info so that they are deemed to have possession and knowledge of it. I’m doing this because one cool way of trampling on the rule of law is to just willfully make sure that you don’t find out the bad shit so you aren’t obligated.

Makes my blood boil. If I get a chance tomorrow, I’ll just cut and paste the entire record tomorrow.

*. I will note that the felony prosecutor in Bell County (DA) takes this stuff seriously. When he has cases set for trial with KPD as the agency, he proactively subpoenas the personnel files, so that the judge can do an in camera inspection for any Brady stuff which then gets turned over to the defense. Also note that it’s fucked up that they even HAVE TO DO THIS. The issue, as I understand it is that the agency was not being forthcoming with that info.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

5 hours ago, scottsins said:

That’s a totally naive take.

Not naive, fact. It called a Brady List, depends on the DA if they use or disclose it.

It has been an open secret that many Texas district attorney offices keep either official or unofficial lists of police officers whose histories of lying or other misconduct would have to be revealed to defense lawyers. Like English, some have even taken the additional step of declaring in writing that an officer has lost so much credibility that they will not risk placing him in front of a jury.

Starting last summer, the American-Statesman asked each of the state’s district attorneys for copies of such letters as well as their “Brady lists.” Some responded with full lists and letters, identifying police officers by name. A few would release only the aggregate number of officers on their list. Many simply refused.

link

Right. My point was that it is not correct to say “DA’s have a list”, when, per the article, “many” refused to disclose the names or even number of cops on their list.

So, just to be clear, some DA’s/CA’s do not have any list at all. None. There is no list and it is intentional that they do not have one. A few prosecutors will know about a “bad Apple” and not take cases from them…for a while…time goes on with some turnover in the office and all of the sudden, that cop’s history is forgotten and then it’s like nothing ever happened. So, to say that some choose not to use the list isn’t totally accurate, since some do not have a list at all.

* I haven’t even begun to discuss how trial court judges bend over backwards in A LOT of jurisdictions to keep “bad stuff” about cops from coming into evidence at trial.

For example, I can not count how many times I’ve seen trials where a cop’s disciplinary history related to false reports is excluded from evidence completely.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 9/13/2023 at 7:02 AM, HenryJames said:

Have they tried giving them more funding?

Are his 29 prior incidents documented somewhere?

his excuse/explanation for the fucked up shit he says in that video is almost convincing. If the 29 prior incidents are legit, it definitely tilts the scale back the other way

20 hours ago, scottsins said:

If I get a chance tomorrow, I’ll just cut and paste the entire record tomorrow.

Follow up?

11 hours ago, B00M said:

his excuse/explanation for the fucked up shit he says in that video is almost convincing.

What was it? "Cadets, humans in general, here's something you shouldn't say after an incident. Roll tape..."