This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

4 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

This argument assumes that top end  players will still come to a program that is losing 7 games a season a la Strong or even winning 8 games a season a la Herman.

they won’t.

You are missing the point lilmac. Talent evaluation doesn't always mean getting a 5 star guy. It means seeing through the bullshit and finding the Earl Thomas' and Mike Huff's of the world. Guys who were overlooked, but if you took the time to go watch them in person they clearly were talented. ET lacked the typical size but damned if he didn't have NFL range as a safety and ball hawking skills. Huff was like that too. Both 3 stars. Herman just grabbed "guys". Some worked some didn't. For example, why when you run an offense that is predicated on the QB running do you waste a scholly on Cam Rising? Overshown was a 6'4 safety that weighed 200? BJ Foster played at Angleton. Look at the district they are in. Coburn is a fat guy who is 6'1.

We just grabbed guys. Some worked and some did not. There was no thought or plan to it. So that's how you end up thin at different positions. There are solid trench players to be had coming out of Texas, but we were lazy talent evaluators. Mack started doing that at the end of his tenure, and that's how we started falling off. Didn't help that he was offering to anyone's little brother who ever played here as well.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

We started falling off because of shitty/lazy recruiting on OL. Combine that with Colt and Jordan departing in 2009 and Mack Brown deciding he had to switch offensive philosophies because he got unlucky against Saban. Defensive recruiting was actually pretty solid until Manny Diaz trashed that side of the ball in 2012-13. Then we hired Charlie, who was a decent recruiter but an absolute bust of a head coach. Herman came in and benefited from a solid roster in 2018, but he and Orlando tanked our recruiting on BOTH sides of the ball and now we are dealing with the consequences. At this point we need to see what kind of recruiter Sark is before we jump to any conclusions. Stability is what the program needs right now. 

Agreed 100%

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

We started falling off because of shitty/lazy recruiting on OL. Combine that with Colt and Jordan departing in 2009 and Mack Brown deciding he had to switch offensive philosophies because he got unlucky against Saban. Defensive recruiting was actually pretty solid until Manny Diaz trashed that side of the ball in 2012-13. Then we hired Charlie, who was a decent recruiter but an absolute bust of a head coach. Herman came in and benefited from a solid roster in 2018, but he and Orlando tanked our recruiting on BOTH sides of the ball and now we are dealing with the consequences. At this point we need to see what kind of recruiter Sark is before we jump to any conclusions. Stability is what the program needs right now. 

Sark has whiffed on every single top OL recruit in Texas. So I wouldn't get my hopes up for much improvement there 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

All gas no brakes but Sark teams run out of gas in the 2nd half. We need a gas station to refuel. 

I feel like there’s a lot of posters out there right now who say this ignorant shit and mean it for some reason. Riley and gundy have been at their respective schools with the same philosophy for a long fucking time. They have the players they want in the program they built. Sark has shown us some pretty brilliant game plans but with no depth and no real dynamic QB option what the fuck is he suppose to do? Casey and Hudson have struggled with how shitty the OL is. We scored 70 on tech, 48 on blOwU…herman fucked us man. Quit blaming sark until he has time to put his players in his offense. If they blow or struggle then we judge. For fucks sake 

13 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Sark has whiffed on every single top OL recruit in Texas. So I wouldn't get my hopes up for much improvement there 

33, 33, and 27 Texas kids drafted the last three cycles and a lot of them were O-line. Many many of them were not 5 stars and played for lesser schools than us. Sometimes you need to be good at talent evaluation. Portal is there too. I can understand no going portal when you haven't seen the kids play with live bullets. All you have to go on is YOUR o-line vs YOUR d-line. If neither are exceptional you won't know what you have until you face someone else. So I give Sark a one time pass for that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, USNALonghorn said:

Defensive recruiting was actually pretty solid until Manny Diaz trashed that side of the ball in 2012-13. 

I had several conversations with folks on our coaching staff (and some players) in that time period. Mack would not allow his assistants to recruit players unless he had watched film on the players first. Assistants identified recruits and provided film to Mack, but he would never get around to watching it, therefore they were unable to recruit the players they wanted. As we know, with a lot of players, if you start recruiting them too late, you never have a chance.

Mack was lazy and entitled, and it seems like we may never recover from his refusal to leave. 

• Rage+1 3

1 minute ago, Tex Pete said:

I had several conversations with folks on our coaching staff (and some players) in that time period. Mack would not allow his assistants to recruit players unless he had watched film on the players first. Assistants identified recruits and provided film to Mack, but he would never get around to watching it, therefore they were unable to recruit the players they wanted. As we know, with a lot of players, if you start recruiting them too late, you never have a chance.

Mack was lazy and entitled, and it seems like we may never recover from his refusal to leave. 

We'll recover when we get lucky with our head coaching hire.

We haven't gotten lucky yet.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

33, 33, and 27 Texas kids drafted the last three cycles and a lot of them were O-line. Many many of them were not 5 stars and played for lesser schools than us. Sometimes you need to be good at talent evaluation. Portal is there too. I can understand no going portal when you haven't seen the kids play with live bullets. All you have to go on is YOUR o-line vs YOUR d-line. If neither are exceptional you won't know what you have until you face someone else. So I give Sark a one time pass for that.

Ok but we are not even getting 3 stars. OL is our weakest position and we only have 2 committed, and most guys are off the board.

4 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Ok but we are not even getting 3 stars. OL is our weakest position and we only have 2 committed, and most guys are off the board.

In the state yes. I hope we can close on some out of state. Then portal and we are ok. The 2022's aren't helping us next year anyway.

• Hook 'Em 2

Glass half full, Sark has the team starting relatively well. We said Herman sucked the program dry, so shouldn't surprise we have trouble finishing games.

On the other hand, I did at least expect to feel like the team is well coached.

Edited by pacman

43 minutes ago, pacman said:

Glass half full, Sark has the team starting relatively well. We said Herman sucked the program dry, so shouldn't surprise we have trouble finishing games.

On the other hand, I did at least expect to feel like the team is well coached.

I don't think Herman sucked the program dry.   he was gonna win 9 or 10 games last year.  I wanted his ass fired and he seems like a shitty person but its on our DC that we played Jett Bush, Brockermeyer, and Schooler when we had transfers come in.  Its also on Sark/Flood that they got zero transfers on OL, they thought the OL would be good enough.  

6 hours ago, dcar00 said:

I don't think Herman sucked the program dry.   he was gonna win 9 or 10 games last year.  I wanted his ass fired and he seems like a shitty person but its on our DC that we played Jett Bush, Brockermeyer, and Schooler when we had transfers come in.  Its also on Sark/Flood that they got zero transfers on OL, they thought the OL would be good enough.  

If herm weren’t an asshole he’d likely still be here. 9-3 with 23 new coaches?

16 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

We’re in the “what anomaly can we find in the college football annals to try and convince ourselves we didn’t make another horrible coaching hire” phase.

Well, we're also in the "what analogies can we draw to recent disastrous coaches" to demonstrate that Sarkisian will be a disaster, also, phase.

9 hours ago, Thatguy said:

It seems a bit counterintuitive that a coach can't suss out talent or lack thereof, but this seems to be a real thing.

I mentioned, I think, on another thread, that Sarkisian had to be expecting a letdown on talent because "not Bama" and maybe let his standards slip too far.

I don’t think it really matters right now because we aren’t going to fire him and he’s our last chance at getting to an elite or close to elite program status. With the way college football has changed, I really think this is the last shot. It works with Sark or we are relegated to second tier football program status forever. I’ll give him several years to build the program because we don’t have any other choice. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Herman wasnt a total failure. He wasnt shit like Strong but dude had a 10 win season in 2018 and a decent season last year (likely would have been a 10 win season without covid). 

I know we fired him not for his onfield performance but for his personal faults… but maybe we were too hasty about that?

Edited by GreenspointTexas

1 minute ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Herman wasnt a total failure. He wasnt shit like Strong but dude had a 10 win season in 2018 and a decent season last year (likely would have been a 10 win season without covid). 

I know we fired him not for his onfield performance but for his personal faults… but maybe we were too hasty about that?

GTFO you jabroni 

• Haha 1

Do any of you fucking morons even watch the games? It really seems like you just look at box scores and claim you watched. 

Coaches don't drop passes, false start, fail to block or throw interceptions. 

Stop blaming sark for his team being inexcusably dogshit. Next year if he doesn't figure out the personnel issues then he needs to be on the hot seat. You cant fucking coach your way out of stupidity. The people talking about lack of adjustments or just some magic happening where the other team adjusted in the 2nd half don't watch football. Gundy isn't some fucking genius who adjusted, he got a few key calls that went his way and Texas straight up didn't execute. They didn't pancake the OL, the OL DIDNT BLOCK THEM. Jake Majors also got hurt, he is the center for those of you who don't know, and that is a very important block assignment caller on the offensive line. 

Sark recruits his way out of this or he is terrible. Anyone saying that our O-Line is good needs to pull their heads out of their ass. Not a single one of these guys will even get sniffed in the draft and last year we lost a guy who has one of the highest blocking grades in the NFL. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

His fucking recruiting is the reason we are dealing with this dog shit oline.  

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

I don’t think it really matters right now because we aren’t going to fire him and he’s our last chance at getting to an elite or close to elite program status. With the way college football has changed, I really think this is the last shot. It works with Sark or we are relegated to second tier football program status forever. I’ll give him several years to build the program because we don’t have any other choice. 

I couldn't disagree with this more.

All it takes is the right coach. It can happen any time.

8 minutes ago, immamac said:

Do any of you fucking morons even watch the games? It really seems like you just look at box scores and claim you watched. 

Stop blaming sark for his team being inexcusably dogshit. Next year if he doesn't figure out the personnel issues then he needs to be on the hot seat. You cant fucking coach your way out of stupidity. The people talking about lack of adjustments or just some magic happening where the other team adjusted in the 2nd half don't watch football. Gundy isn't some fucking genius who adjusted, he got a few key calls that went his way and Texas straight up didn't execute. They didn't pancake the OL, the OL DIDNT BLOCK THEM. Jake Majors also got hurt, he is the center for those of you who don't know, and that is a very important block assignment caller on the offensive line. 

Sark recruits his way out of this or he is terrible. Anyone saying that our O-Line is good needs to pull their heads out of their ass. Not a single one of these guys will even get sniffed in the draft and last year we lost a guy who has one of the highest blocking grades in the NFL. 

I saw our defensive coordinator call a two deep safety look when we had to defend the run at all costs in the fourth quarter against a team that could barely complete a forward pass. I would have relieved PK of his play calling duties immediately after the game. 

30 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Herman wasnt a total failure.

Depends on the criteria for “total failure”. If, for example, the criteria were “regularly winning conference championships”, then yes, he was a total failure. If the criteria were “each year making the team better than the year before”, well then by that criteria he also was a total failure. Basically every year was the same. Always fighting to the death with every team on the schedule.

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

I saw our defensive coordinator call a two deep safety look when we had to defend the run at all costs in the fourth quarter against a team that could barely complete a forward pass. I would have relieved PK of his play calling duties immediately after the game. 

If you think the defense is the reason that they lost the game you are beyond help. 

11 minutes ago, immamac said:

This post is pure trash, but just want to point out how absurd it is to say in 1 sentence you can’t blame the coach for the team being inexcusably dogshit THEN IN THE VERY NEXT SENTENCE say he should be on the hot seat year 2 if he can’t magically fix personnel issues.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

This post is pure trash, but just want to point out how absurd it is to say in 1 sentence you can’t blame the coach for the team being inexcusably dogshit THEN IN THE VERY NEXT SENTENCE say he should be on the hot seat year 2 if he can’t magically fix personnel issues.

lol yeah I caught that too. Quite the logical inconsistency.

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

If you think the defense is the reason that they lost the game you are beyond help. 

The defense was certainly part of that equation. Oklahoma State’s offense is complete dog shit. The example I gave directly contradicts your notion that this debacle is about the players. The coaching, especially on the defensive side of the ball is criminally bad. I think people are suffering through a serious case of cognitive dissonance with our defensive coordinator currently. We made a horrific hire and despite the reputation he had coming in, it’s not a  good fit at all. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Its his first year. He inherited every bit of the personel except Xavier who he flipped from Michigan due to weird shit. 

Shut the fuck up you gaping pussy. 

All of us are frustrated. But as many astute posters have pointed out it does us even more harm to go find  yet another HC. With yet another staff and yet another philosophy and schemes.

There is a lot of promise here. But we cannot expect instant success. It would be great to want to believe we are going to curb stomp ranked teams bc we beat TT and TCU. The revolving door has to stop at some fucking point. We have to hope Sark is the one right now.

yes, it’s frustrating to watch our players become mistake prone in the second half. Yes, they have to buy into to what is being sold to them. It is also completely understandable that our players revert back to their old ways in tough situations. particularly in the second half.

It’s going to take time. I truly wanted to believe we had a shot at winning the conference. Right now I will settle for fundamentals and cleaning up mistakes.

but holy hell is watching UT football a gut punch the last decade plus. 

I also want to mention that if for some reason Sark isn’t the one…can we have a fucking interview process where we look at several candidates? And can the first question we ask be “How do you feel about the transfer portal?” And if the answer is anything other than “Fuck ya! I will bang that thing harder than the Liberty bell.” Then no dice! Coaches like Saban don’t have to go there. But I’d he thought he could get an advantage he’d not be above using it!

We don’t have that luxury right now. Teams like OU that have consistently won their damn conference use it all the damn time. And there is no shame in that. 

Off my soapbox. Carry on….

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, immamac said:

Its his first year. He inherited every bit of the personel except Xavier who he flipped from Michigan due to weird shit. 

Shut the fuck up you gaping pussy. 

What is your point? He should be on the hot seat in year 2 if he can’t build a roster in 1 year?

That doesn’t make any sense.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

What is your point? He should be on the hot seat in year 2 if he can’t build a roster in 1 year?

That doesn’t make any sense.

Somehow Beard did it (BUT BASKETBALL HURRR DURRRR). Do you follow anything in today's landscape? There are ways to make dramatic changes to your roster using recruiting and the transfer portal in a single year. There are coaching staffs actively recruiting players from teams to portal. This staff needs to do the same thing and if they don't then they are failing. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm done expending mental energy on why coaches fail and if they're salvageable.

Sarkisian is in show-me mode now.

That is, show me why I should watch another down of Texas Football this year, or next, or the year after that.

Although I probably will.  Along with taking up CBT.  And I don't mean therapy.

Yep broken damn record.  Haven’t quit on sark yet but these losses are inexplicable.   

12 minutes ago, Capt. Squints said:

The offensive team Sark coached last year won every individual award they give out. Heisman, Doak Walker, Remington, Outland, Johnny Unitas, Biletnikoff, etc. How can you go wrong with that kind of talent at your disposal?

By being named Bill O’Brien I assume 

18 hours ago, troph said:

The things that get me about Sark - he wouldn’t look at film and picked Card first and didn’t portal for OL. You could argue both of those deficiencies are the reason we’ve lost 3 games.  Seems kinda moronic. I’m not saying he can’t find a groove and win big but those concern me. His second half disappearing acts are hard to stomach as well. 

I'll give you the OL issue. He and Flood should've looked at what they had and realized they were lacking. Oklahoma State had two transfers starting on the line yesterday, I think.

As far as not watching film and going with Card, it's not like there was a ton to see -- just the second half of the Colorado game. The Buffaloes sucked balls and Thompson lit 'em up. I think Casey was the safer decision to start the year but if Card outplayed in camp (spring and fall), I can see going that route. Casey is not a world beater by any stretch. He's not a strap-the-team-on-his-back-and-let's-go-kick-their-asses QB at this point, if he ever will. I've caught myself wondering where this team is if Sam had returned for another season. I'm pretty sure we'd be better than 4-3.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...

Seven Win Steve?

At some point in the last week, I found it somewhat humorous.

Now, I think maybe it’s accurate.

He’s quite creative on offense. I think he’s trying to make it work. But something is off on the offensive side. Maybe it’s just instincts that are lacking.

Between QB and play caller, we left lots of yards and points on the field in the pass game.

Baylor’s plan is to stop Bijan. They did leave quite a bit uncovered in the pass game including QB rush yards from the pocket.

Everybody associated with this team lays a part in the losses.