11.1.21 Coach Sark PC @ 11am

bigup2dahorns

2020 Michigan State under Mel Tucker.

1. LOSS 38-27 Rutgers - MSU never led
  2. WIN 27-24 over #13 Michigan - Tied 17-17 in mid-3; Led 27-17 with 5:11 left
  3. LOSS 49-7 Iowa - never led
  4. LOSS 24-0 Indiana - never led
  5. WIN 29-20 over #8 Northwestern - down 20-17 heading into the 4th
  6. LOSS 52-12 to tOSU - never led
  7. LOSS 39-24 to Penn State - led 24-18 with 2:00 left in 3rd

They only blew 1 lead that resulted in a loss - to unranked Penn State.

1 hour ago, bigup2dahorns said:

I've been trying to explain this to people around here for years. We had a similar problem when Gilbert was OC. We haven't played complimentary football in a long fucking time.  I did notice in this game that there was an opportunity to go fast and we played very slowly at one point in either the late Q3 or in Q4.... I would like to have been on a headset listening to PK say, "I know we need to score, but we need some time...."

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yep. we didn't know about Charlie and we didn't know about Tom.  what is your point?

Pretty simple, until the end of next year bitch about things you see with your eyes and are worth bitching about and not that we hired some guy who only won 7 games a year multiple times at Washington.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

It's actually the fourth time.

Spoiler alert---Longhorn Network has 'Texas GameDay' from 9-11am, and post-game show from 2:30-4:00p that day.  I'm gonna assume that means KAN @ TEX, 11:00a.

WVU also looking very likely for an 11:00a kickoff (12local).  So that'll make, what?...Eight 11am games this season?  

If the game is on LHN, why can’t we decide to play a 7p kick?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

This is setting up as: 

If we beat ISU, Casey starts the rest of the season. 

If we lose to ISU, Card gets the start vs. KU the following week. 

And we still won't know shit about our QBs... and it won't matter, except that we'll have created an escape goat and given Hudson a nice transition to next year's starter and Casey will be in the portal.

This is not like ou's situation. We're not losing because of poor QB play.  Neither of these guys is good enough to elevate a team beyond how bad our OL is.  If we swapped QBs, Casey/Card would be undefeated, and we'd be trying to figure out why Spencer Rattler/Caleb Williams can't run/throw for 5 TDs a game behind a terrible OL.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

If the game is on LHN, why can’t we decide to play a 7p kick?

Cause folks got a plane to catch to Spokane 

Priorities are very quickly changing to hoops. 

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

This is setting up as: 

If we beat ISU, Casey starts the rest of the season. 

If we lose to ISU, Card gets the start vs. KU the following week. 

We could also see a QB change at the halftime of the ISU game if Casey is struggling.

59 minutes ago, immamac said:

how many games did they have double digit leads on ranked teams only to completely implode and have nearly 0 production in the 2nd half? 

I mean I can dig into it if you want, but I think you know the answer. 

So when comparing first year coaches, losing leads against ranked teams is a worse trend than never leading at all?

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Droopy said:

This shit is the fucking worst excuse mantra vomited out by losers if there ever was one. I also realize it’s just lip service, but you can say that about undefeated teams as well. That’s the game of football. Every game comes down to 1 or 2 plays. 

“Ugh, man! If we could’ve only caught that touchdown pass in the first half, we’d have won instead of losing by 4pts!” Yeah, no shit, asshole. 

This.

If Ingram doesn't fumble vs TCU or Tom takes the points in the red zone vs ISU, we play for another Big12 Championship and Sark never gets a chance to get hired here. We can do this shit all day.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

agreed but I have to give it to Steve, he handles the press conference as good as one can expect.  It is fun to make fun of the BS coach speak and excuses he(or any coach) has to force out there to put lipstick on the pig.

Yeah, my post was more aimed coaches/writers/fans in general, and I agree with your statement. 

53 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

This game is on my bday. I bought tickets. Hotel room etc   After OK state I canceled hotel. Never bought flight thank god and donated the tickets to the trash. I’m gonna sit at home and play call of duty 

User name checks out. 

49 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

So when comparing first year coaches, losing leads against ranked teams is a worse trend than never leading at all?

Far worse, one is the culture/program trying to work its way to something. The other is coaches getting fucked in the 2nd half by other coaches. 

It would be different if we never led these games and the guys were just losing and couldn't do what the coaches wanted them to do. I'd be blaming the players a lot more vocally. Getting to a point where you are blowing a team out or have a healthy lead and then blowing that lead in catastrophic fashion 3 weeks in a row isn't a personnel issue it's a coaching issue.

You know what Mel Tucker, Aranda and everyone else did in between the 2 seasons? They recruited their balls off or got massive transfers that ended up being impact players. 

The guy winning a heisman at Michigan St? The one that scored 5TD and had 200+ Yards rushing? THAT GUY, he's a transfer. 

The gigantic nose tackle on Baylors D? Transfer. Most of the OL? Transfers. 

Coaching an inferior team, but keeping up and not getting blown out in year 1 shows coaching ability.

Coaching an athletically superior team, curb stomping for a full half and then making stupid fucking mistakes and not adjusting to the game shows a lack of coaching ability. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

Pretty simple, until the end of next year bitch about things you see with your eyes and are worth bitching about and not that we hired some guy who only won 7 games a year multiple times at Washington.

which is what I have done, while calling him 7 win Steve, because it apparently is correct.  even his 7 year HC record proves it.  maybe he can win 8.

12 minutes ago, immamac said:

Far worse, one is the culture/program trying to work its way to something. The other is coaches getting fucked in the 2nd half by other coaches. 

It would be different if we never led these games and the guys were just losing and couldn't do what the coaches wanted them to do. I'd be blaming the players a lot more vocally. Getting to a point where you are blowing a team out or have a healthy lead and then blowing that lead in catastrophic fashion 3 weeks in a row isn't a personnel issue it's a coaching issue.

You know what Mel Tucker, Aranda and everyone else did in between the 2 seasons? They recruited their balls off or got massive transfers that ended up being impact players. 

The guy winning a heisman at Michigan St? The one that scored 5TD and had 200+ Yards rushing? THAT GUY, he's a transfer. 

Coaching an inferior team, but keeping up and not getting blown out in year 1 shows coaching ability.

Coaching an athletically superior team, curb stomping for a full half and then making stupid fucking mistakes and not adjusting to the game shows a lack of coaching ability. 

If it's so easy to just run all over Texas, why would teams not just do it for the entire game then? Why would they wait until the second half to figure out that Texas is basically this guy:

And they are holding the gun.

Seriously, what genius level adjustments are being made by other coaches that our guys just can't seem to quite figure out? I'm starting to wanna jump on the "S&C is an issue" bandwagon here.

32 minutes ago, immamac said:

Does this post from two weeks ago ring a bell?

Do any of you fucking morons even watch the games? It really seems like you just look at box scores and claim you watched. 

Coaches don't drop passes, false start, fail to block or throw interceptions. 

Stop blaming sark for his team being inexcusably dogshit. Next year if he doesn't figure out the personnel issues then he needs to be on the hot seat. You cant fucking coach your way out of stupidity. The people talking about lack of adjustments or just some magic happening where the other team adjusted in the 2nd half don't watch football. Gundy isn't some fucking genius who adjusted, he got a few key calls that went his way and Texas straight up didn't execute. They didn't pancake the OL, the OL DIDNT BLOCK THEM. Jake Majors also got hurt, he is the center for those of you who don't know, and that is a very important block assignment caller on the offensive line. 

Sark recruits his way out of this or he is terrible. Anyone saying that our O-Line is good needs to pull their heads out of their ass. Not a single one of these guys will even get sniffed in the draft and last year we lost a guy who has one of the highest blocking grades in the NFL. 

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/22304-this-is-who-steve-sarkisian-is/&do=findComment&comment=3728993

Now, two weeks later, you've decided our "inexcusably dogshit" roster is actually the "athletically superior" team every week? Players get 100% of the credit for getting out to leads, And the coaches get 100% of the blame for losing them? 

What changed in two weeks?

You are all over the place with your takes, directly contradicting yourself,  and citing shit that Tucker and Aranda did after their first years as evidence they somehow had better first seasons than Sark going 2-7.

Look I've been venting and questioning the coaching and probably spouting off contradictory takes too, but once I distance myself from the emotions of blowing three straight leads,  I can see how maybe what you said two weeks ago is closer to the truth.

Edited by CurlyDumps
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Does this post from two weeks ago ring a bell?

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/22304-this-is-who-steve-sarkisian-is/&do=findComment&comment=3728993

Now, two weeks later, you've decided our "inexcusably dogshit" roster is actually the "athletically superior" team every week? Players get 100% of the credit for getting out to leads, And the coaches get 100% of the blame for losing them? 

What changed in two weeks?

You are all over the place with your takes, directly contradicting yourself,  and citing shit that Tucker and Aranda did after their first years as evidence they somehow had better first seasons than Sark going 2-7.

Look I've been venting and questioning the coaching and probably spouting off contradictory takes too, but once I distance myself from the emotions of blowing three straight leads,  I can see how maybe what you said two weeks ago is closer to the truth.

What changed in 2 weeks? 2 additional 4th quarter collapses. It's systemic and it's a coaching error not a player error. That doesn't mean the players are excused or aren't dogshit, but 1 game is definitely on the players - 3 games? that's on the coaches. 

I don't really care about being right - I just want Texas not to be dogshit anymore, it seems like some of you "support the team no matter what" morons think that this is alright and it'll all just work itself out.

Spoiler alert, it won't fucking work itself out and lots of people are fucking tired of waiting for it to work itself out. Be patient only works for the first 10 years. 

Just now, immamac said:

What changed in 2 weeks? 2 additional 4th quarter collapses. It's systemic and it's a coaching error not a player error. That doesn't mean the players are excused or aren't dogshit, but 1 game is definitely on the players - 3 games? that's on the coaches. 

You posted that on 10/17. The Oklahoma State game was on 10/16.

So how did our roster go from "inexcusably dogshit" to "athletically superior" over the bye week?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, CurlyDumps said:

You posted that on 10/17. The Oklahoma State game was on 10/16.

So how did our roster go from "inexcusably dogshit" to "athletically superior" over the bye week?

they were always athletically superior, you can be inexcusable dogshit and athletically superior. 

Xavier Worthy was wide the fuck open, Josh Moore was too. That doesn't mean they caught the passes, one was a terrible throw the other was a straight up butterfinger drop. No one gets a pass for that, but the coaches need to figure out how to put away a game. 

1 minute ago, immamac said:

I don't really care about being right - I just want Texas not to be dogshit anymore, it seems like some of you "support the team no matter what" morons think that this is alright and it'll all just work itself out.

Spoiler alert, it won't fucking work itself out and lots of people are fucking tired of waiting for it to work itself out. Be patient only works for the first 10 years. 

And what exactly are those people going to do about it?

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

As a Burnt Ends supporter ... this made me really ill watching it - Brewer and Wiley double team "attempt".  I don't get how our fundamental blocking techniques go so hot and cold. Like we only do 1-on-1 drills or no actual contact or something.

Yikes

6 hours ago, immamac said:

Being 4-4 with the best player in the country and the top WR true freshman in the country doesn't scare you? (Soon to be 4-5) 

Bijan isn't the best player in the country. He's damn good, but he's gotta get better at pass protection.

The players suck, the coaches aren't doing enough to account for how much they suck. 

When you have a big lead with a shitty team, you should want to take the air out of the ball. We can't do that. When you have a small lead with a shitty team, you should want to score more points, we can't seem to do that without shooting ourselves in the foot either.

Whatever the case is, this shit isn't working and its frustrating to see it fall apart a similar way over and over. 

We aren't good enough to win despite missed opportunities right now, maybe we never will be with this staff. The fact remains that the coaches are failing to adjust enough to their shitty team to win winnable games.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Bijan isn't the best player in the country. He's damn good, but he's gotta get better at pass protection.

The players suck, the coaches aren't doing enough to account for how much they suck. 

When you have a big lead with a shitty team, you should want to take the air out of the ball. We can't do that. When you have a small lead with a shitty team, you should want to score more points, we can't seem to do that without shooting ourselves in the foot either.

Whatever the case is, this shit isn't working and its frustrating to see it fall apart a similar way over and over. 

We aren't good enough to win despite missed opportunities right now, maybe we never will be with this staff. The fact remains that the coaches are failing to adjust enough to their shitty team to win winnable games.

This is my criticism of the staff. I think what they’re trying to do is solid however, if you don’t have the horses for it, you gotta adjust. Just expecting it to click and the players doing their jobs, just isn’t going to happen with this team.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1