Mass Shootings

Nice Guy Eddie

5 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Can you explain what they mean here? Are they saying he's from eastern Ukraine or southern Russia or is the AI translating his last name literally?

Btw, you should check out a new mockumentary-style series on Netflix called "1670." It's a Polish comedy that I think you'd get a kick out of.

It’s AI translating his last name literally.  Also some suspicion that the telegram entries were faked. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

My feed is full of people looking for their friends, family, children, siblings.  

It's hard not to be cynical about this happening in the US because of our idiotic inaction. But for those guys over there, yeah, sincere sympathies.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Jesus christ. I took some summer classes there in law school. Even watching the videos, it's still impossible to imagine this happening there. 

As with here when this happens, there’s a lot of confusion. Some reporting that the shooter had killed his dad that morning and the police went looking for him at a different building.  

This type of thing in a small country where it doesn’t happen can have major implications. 

52 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

As with here when this happens, there’s a lot of confusion. Some reporting that the shooter had killed his dad that morning and the police went looking for him at a different building.  

This type of thing in a small country where it doesn’t happen can have major implications. 

Think I read at CNN.com that the shooter said he was going to commit suicide at the school or something, maybe wrote it online somewhere, and authorities were able to see that he had a lecture/class at 2 pm local time so they cancelled the class and evacuated that building. The shooting then took place in another campus building.

Here's what I read: https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/prague-shooting-charles-university-12-21-23/index.html

Authorities received tips about a 24-year-old philosophy student at Charles University who they suspect was responsible for the deadly mass shooting at the campus in central Prague Thursday, Czech Police President Martin Vondrášek said in a news conference.

The police chief said the information he has received so far indicates that the shooter took his own life after the attack, but that this is not yet confirmed. He said the suspect has not been formally identified because of the severity of his injuries.

Police evacuated building where suspect had lecture scheduled: The police chief said authorities had information about the student prior to the incident, saying they received a tip saying he was traveling from his hometown of Hostouň to Prague with the intention to take his own life. Shortly after that, they received information that a man believed to be the suspect's father was found dead in Hostouň.

Vondrášek said police were aware the suspected shooter had a lecture at 2 p.m. CET (8 a.m. ET) and had evacuated the building where the lecture was meant to take place.

Police then received a call about a shooting in a different building on campus, according to the police chief.

• Hook 'Em 1

Not all of the Covenant parents were conservative. But many of them grew up involved in Republican politics and were at ease around guns. Ms. Neumann, barred as a child from playing with toy guns as a way to instill respect for weapons, enjoyed shooting clay pigeons well past college. Mr. Leatherwood is a former executive director of the state Republican Party who owns seven firearms, with two pistols locked in his truck.

Just as important, as parents of survivors, they could be a public voice for the parents whose children died.

Mr. Leatherwood, the leader of the public policy arm of the Southern Baptist Convention, now used his platform to argue that millions of Southern Baptists should broaden their defense of life — the basis for opposing abortion — to include protecting against gun violence.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/26/us/politics/nashville-school-shooting-covenant-parents.html?unlocked_article_code=1.JE0.Cz_D.PautJTM-TyXU&smid=url-share

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Not all of the Covenant parents were conservative. But many of them grew up involved in Republican politics and were at ease around guns. Ms. Neumann, barred as a child from playing with toy guns as a way to instill respect for weapons, enjoyed shooting clay pigeons well past college. Mr. Leatherwood is a former executive director of the state Republican Party who owns seven firearms, with two pistols locked in his truck.

Just as important, as parents of survivors, they could be a public voice for the parents whose children died.

Mr. Leatherwood, the leader of the public policy arm of the Southern Baptist Convention, now used his platform to argue that millions of Southern Baptists should broaden their defense of life — the basis for opposing abortion — to include protecting against gun violence.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/26/us/politics/nashville-school-shooting-covenant-parents.html?unlocked_article_code=1.JE0.Cz_D.PautJTM-TyXU&smid=url-share

I was reading that NYTimes article with First Responder Bowl on in the background and sure enough they had a story about the five cops who killed the shooter at Covenant.  Kinda weird.

Even weirder is how the Republicans in Tennessee don't care who dies.  Neighbors, kids, doesn't matter.   

..I don't know what the hell to say.

To fully understand the minutes before officers killed the assailant, parents had to piece together the plain-spoken memories of their children.

It was loud. It smelled bad. It was a person with a really mean face.

I was scared. I was quiet. I was brave.

Ms. Joyce’s daughter would tell her that it was hard to not make a sound, to be curled tight and still like a box, when the barrel of a gun poked through the window in the door of her third-grade classroom.

• Rage+1 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here are two fantastic articles both of which offer plenty of ammunition (ahem) against those red-state Trump gun lovers who talk about violence and crime as if it is a Democrat problem.

https://www.thirdway.org/report/the-two-decade-red-state-murder-problem

https://www.salon.com/2023/02/15/like-to-talk-tough-on--but-theyre-the-ones-with-a-real-problem/

Key takeaways:

• The murder rate in the 25 states that voted for Donald Trump has exceeded the murder rate in the 25 states that voted for Joe Biden in every year from 2000 to 2020.
  • Over this 21-year span, this Red State murder gap has steadily widened from a low of 9% more per capita red state murders in 2003 and 2004 to 44% more per capita red state murders in 2019, before settling back to 43% in 2020.
  • Altogether, the per capita Red State murder rate was 23% higher than the Blue State murder rate when all 21 years were combined.
  • If Blue State murder rates were as high as Red State murder rates, Biden-voting states would have suffered over 45,000 more murders between 2000 and 2020.
  • Even when murders in the largest cities in red states are removed, overall murder rates in Trump-voting states were 12% higher than Biden-voting states across this 21-year period and were higher in 18 of the 21 years observed.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

I unintentionally traveled with a Leatherman multitool in an inner side pocket of my suitcase for a few years.  It was x-rayed dozens of times before it was found by the Canadian version of TSA.  I was stunned.

They had a few curt questions but wished me a good day when I was more than willing to surrender it.

It’s bullshit.  The 2A clearly states, that the right to bear arms shall not be infringed.  Particularly and specifically  by a federal government agency; such as the TSA. All if you who don’t carry firearms into airplanes are flying the face of our constitution.  As students of the Bill of Rights, you are being gaping pussies. Either the 2A right means something or it doesn’t.  They wrote that in 240 years ago for a reason you fucking treasonous cowards.  Fly heavy or don’t fly at all.  You aren’t for liberty, you’re for being a pussy.  

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Why didn’t the 6th grader who died today arm themselves?

3 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

I blame the liberals for getting in the way of an 11 year old and their gun of choice.

The only way to stop a bad 17 year old with a gun is a good 11 year old with a gun.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I just looked in my pocket Constitution, and the Second Amendment has no age limit in it! First graders do not check their constitutional rights at the door when entering a public school!

• Like 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

31 minutes ago, Bookman said:

I just looked in my pocket Constitution, and the Second Amendment has no age limit in it! First graders do not check their constitutional rights at the door when entering a public school!

If you outlaw letting First graders have guns, then only Second graders and above will have guns!

4 hours ago, YGIFS said:

It’s bullshit.  The 2A clearly states, that the right to bear arms shall not be infringed.  Particularly and specifically  by a federal government agency; such as the TSA. All if you who don’t carry firearms into airplanes are flying the face of our constitution.  As students of the Bill of Rights, you are being gaping pussies. Either the 2A right means something or it doesn’t.  They wrote that in 240 years ago for a reason you fucking treasonous cowards.  Fly heavy or don’t fly at all.  You aren’t for liberty, you’re for being a pussy.  

Unless you're at a Trump Rally, Republican event, Town Halls, Debates, Benton Harbor Chili Cook-Off, etc... 

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

Apparently one of the victims was shot 21 times and is somehow still alive, according to his family on social media. 15 years old. 

Pretty sure I saw one of the weapons the killer used was a shotgun.  

Hospital considered me a “multiple gunshot victim” when I was on the wrong end of someone’s negligence once.  Would bet it’s the same situation.   The hospital also mislabeled the size shot (even though I told the doctor several times, YGIFS here’s your caliber joke tee’d up) and it caused a bunch more confusion at both hospitals.  Think I still had 14-15 in me still at the time. 

Edited by fattyflattie

8 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Pretty sure I saw one of the weapons the killer used was a shotgun.  

Hospital considered me a “multiple gunshot victim” when I was on the wrong end of someone’s negligence once.  Would bet it’s the same situation.   The hospital also mislabeled the size shot (even though I told the doctor several times, YGIFS here’s your caliber joke tee’d up) and it caused a bunch more confusion at both hospitals.  Think I still had 14-15 in me still at the time. 

Phew, thank goodness for that explanation. Hey y'all, nothing to worry about with school shootings anymore. It was just a hunting accident. President Trump is right, we can just get over this one now.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Phew, thank goodness for that explanation. Hey y'all, nothing to worry about with school shootings anymore. It was just a hunting accident. President Trump is right, we can just get over this one now.

Your reading comp may need some brushing up.  Aren't you a teacher?  Sad.