Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

34 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

This is a fun little site to play around with. For instance, the smallest asteroid I could come up with that would totally obliterate Kyle Field is 200 feet in diameter traveling at 2,000 mph and hitting the 50-yard line at a 45 degree angle.

https://neal.fun/asteroid-launcher/

Or a one foot diameter asteroid playing Sandstorm.

• Haha 4

• Replies 72k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

2 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

This is a fun little site to play around with. For instance, the smallest asteroid I could come up with that would totally obliterate Kyle Field is 200 feet in diameter traveling at 2,000 mph and hitting the 50-yard line at a 45 degree angle.

https://neal.fun/asteroid-launcher/

Or a 100 footer at 2,000 mph and 90 degrees (iron).

6 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

Does this mean we're "SEC Ready"?

Sheesh. Ya stoopid sip. Not one of those nattys came with a SECX3 championship. Y’all might do ok against bdf comp, but just wait ‘til you see how hard it is in the day-to-day grind of the S-E-C!  Whoop!

Sheesh. Ya stoopid sip. Not one of those nattys came with a SECX3 championship. Y’all might do ok against bdf comp, but just wait ‘til you see how hard it is in the day-to-day grind of the S-E-C!  Whoop!

A lot of sec fans (most of them) will tell you that the sec is just so damn tough in every sport and nothing can compare to what you see week in and out.

They’re all fucking idiots.
  • Rage+1 2

A lot of sec fans (most of them) will tell you that the sec is just so damn tough in every sport and nothing can compare to what you see week in and out.

Texas women's volleyball will slice through the vaunted SEC (including aggyettes) like a hot knife on Irish butter
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 12/18/2022 at 3:01 PM, Duval Street said:
On 12/18/2022 at 3:01 PM, Duval Street said:

Or a 100 footer at 2,000 mph and 90 degrees (iron).

Guess I’m the only dumbass in here who took a bunch of electives in astronomy in RLM.  
A 2;000mph asteroid would be named slowneal9aggy by default, most of them are moving at like 40,000mph

of course mass (composition matters significantly, but 200ft diameter probably destroys the whole shitty town and ruins the day for a bunch of greater NW Houston suburban insurance agents day.  

Edited by Treefidy
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, ousux said:
1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

Texas women's volleyball will slice through the vaunted SEC (including aggyettes) like a hot knife on Irish butter

Good thing we are a volleyball school.

4 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Guess I’m the only dumbass in here who took a bunch of electives in astronomy in RLM.  
A 2;000mph asteroid would be named slowneal9aggy by default, most of them are moving at like 40,000mph

of course mass (composition matters significantly, but 200ft diameter probably destroys the whole shitty town and ruins the day for a bunch of NW greater NW Houston suburban insurance agents day.  

Make that two of us. Took The Search for Extraterrestrial Life, in addition to many others. Did not discuss aliens until the last day of class. Definitely need to rename that class. History of Rock and Roll was not nearly as cool as it sounded either, dammit! 

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

of course mass (composition matters significantly, but 200ft diameter probably destroys the whole shitty town and ruins the day for a bunch of greater NW Houston suburban insurance agents day.  

Are you saying that fancy new Baghdad-looking park outside Super Kroger Field wouldn’t make it?  That’d be a shame.

1 hour ago, StrippersAndNobelPrizes said:

Make that two of us. Took The Search for Extraterrestrial Life, in addition to many others. Did not discuss aliens until the last day of class. Definitely need to rename that class. History of Rock and Roll was not nearly as cool as it sounded either, dammit! 

I took both of those classes too and I agree with your assessments.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Treefidy said:

A 200 ft radius asteroid traveling at 400 mph (assuming it's made of iron) would impact with an energy of 283 megatons.  This link sets off Tsar Bomba at the address of Kyle Field (if only).  Note, Tsar Bomba was ~50 megatons so this fucker is almost 6x bigger.

https://outrider.org/nuclear-weapons/interactive/bomb-blast?airburst=true&bomb=3&lat=30.60367&location=161 Wellborn Rd%2C College Station%2C Texas 77840%2C United States&long=-96.33861

I may have forgot to carry a one somewhere in my mass and speed calc / conversions.

Edit:  Fuck me, I used 200 ft radius instead of diameter.  Adjust accordingly, the calculation is left as an exercise for the reader.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets
  • Like 1

Meat judging is like the perfect aggy sport. There’s zero skill needed. You’re not actually judging meat since there are no strict rules about the different grades. One judge’s prime is another’s choice. You just gotta guess what that judge is gonna guess. Its more luck than anything else. It’s like flipping a coin. Sometimes you get on a run and get it right 75% of the time instead of hanging around the long term average of 50%. In meat judging, having that run at the right time wins you a natty.

Win that natty and back home in collie station, your true prize awaits…

giphy.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StrippersAndNobelPrizes said:

That was the course that centered around the Drake Equation, right?  First class I ever took at UT, big section in Walsh Hall.  Class had more math than I would have liked.  But really interesting.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Four-star quarterback Marcel Reed of Nashville, Tenn., backed off his verbal commitment to the Rebels on Monday and then announced he intends to attend A&M.

Reed is the lone quarterback among the Aggies’ 15 pledges to date, with the early signing period starting Wednesday. Mississippi coach Lane Kiffin is 2-0 against A&M’s Jimbo Fisher in the last two years, but Monday’s Reed reversal marks an off-field win for the Aggies’ embattled boss.

Related video: Texas Bowl Preview: How Do

29 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

That was the course that centered around the Drake Equation, right?  First class I ever took at UT, big section in Walsh Hall.  Class had more math than I would have liked.  But really interesting.  

Yep. Had it in Welch, too. The prof I had taught it like a classic astronomy class on star and planet formation. Then on the last day of class finally said (not kidding) - “Is there extraterrestrial life out there? We don’t know. But we spent the semester studying what would make it possible.” WTF man! Did not even touch on the Drake Equation. Annoying!

History of Rock & Roll (took in 1991), we spent maybe one week on music of the 70s and 80s, which is what I knew. The majority was 1950s and before, and a lot of pre-RnR stuff - old blues and stuff. Cool, historic, and led to RnR, but would have preferred more Ramones (who we used to see at the Back Room for $8) 🤘🏻. Once again, annoying!

Sorry to derail.

Now back to your regular programming.

Point and laugh at aggy/Jimbo. 
And don’t get me started on the cold fusion thing again. Those of us in the UT physics department were like - hell no! Leave it to aggy to go down with the cold fusion ship, including possibly falsifying results, while the rest of the world was laughing at one of the biggest scientific frauds of the 20th century. aggy always gonna aggy - even their physics department. Some things never change…

Y'uns say these guys are toothless racist hicks, and I agree.  The longer I go, the more I agree.  Texas hasn't played Aggy in what, 11 years?  And yet you're obsessed with these guys so much you (we) have a 1000+ page thread.  You're TEXAS.  They aren't.  Let your hate go, Guys.  You're above these dipshits.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

10 hours ago, StrippersAndNobelPrizes said:

Yep. Had it in Welch, too. The prof I had taught it like a classic astronomy class on star and planet formation. Then on the last day of class finally said (not kidding) - “Is there extraterrestrial life out there? We don’t know. But we spent the semester studying what would make it possible.” WTF man! Did not even touch on the Drake Equation. Annoying!

History of Rock & Roll (took in 1991), we spent maybe one week on music of the 70s and 80s, which is what I knew. The majority was 1950s and before, and a lot of pre-RnR stuff - old blues and stuff. Cool, historic, and led to RnR, but would have preferred more Ramones (who we used to see at the Back Room for $8) 🤘🏻. Once again, annoying!

Had the highest grade in the class the semester I took The Search for Extraterrestrial Life, and also caught the Ramones at the Back Room. 

26 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Y'uns say these guys are toothless racist hicks, and I agree.  The longer I go, the more I agree.  Texas hasn't played Aggy in what, 11 years?  And yet you're obsessed with these guys so much you (we) have a 1000+ page thread.  You're TEXAS.  They aren't.  Let your hate go, Guys.  You're above these dipshits.

It isn’t obsession.

The Horns have pretty much shit the bed since aggy ran off to the SEC, so in order to counter the unprecedented suckage, we have doubled down on laughing at their weirdness.

• Hook 'Em 2

Ah yes, Welch Hall, not Walsh.  My bad.  That room number sounds familiar, also goes by the name "Bee Caves Road classroom", though scholars maintain the Caves is singular, not plural.  

For the record, I didn't start this thread derail.  But if you have the occasion next time you're on campus, go through Welch Hall.  About a year ago, they completed the total overhaul of the building.  Still ugly as sin outside but it's insanely modern on the inside.  You wouldn't recognize the lab space or common areas.  Even the large amphitheaters look like something out of a James Cameron movie.  

csb/ Years ago when UT System, A&M System, and some others were competing to take over Los Alamos National Laboratory, I helped out a tiny little bit---not as a science guy obviously.  Anyway, I think I personally attended a whopping 2 meetings among the bidding teams.  And listening to the A&M presentation (the ones that were open) you could  see on the faces of the other teams how in awe they were of these folks' technical prowess and attention to detail.  The head of research next to me said something like "If they can flesh out this plan, there gonna be really hard to beat.  They thought of everything."  Later on, there's a meet 'n greet.  After talking with some of thsoe guys, same UT guys says to me, "I forgot during their presentation, they were Aggies.  Now I totally remember where they;'re from."  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1