• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

12 hours ago, wood said:

2.88? Brainiac. 

If it hadn't been for my easy A in Latin & Greek Elements, I wouldn't have finally graduated - after 6 years and 150 hours, one gradepoint above a sub-2.0 gpa and scho pro. I graduated with like a 2.0000000001 gpa. Probably woulda been on the Dean's List at aggy though. /csb

…..so, which law school did you graduate from?

On 12/20/2022 at 8:19 PM, PTINS said:

Music and Austin are synonymous. Always has been, always will be. Nothing like growing up in Austin in the 60's & going to UT in the 70's.  The Music, and the puurrty girls used to ooze out of the cracks in the ground.  

Ok guys, do better.

It was the Austin Opry House, not Opera. ...

Did you ever go to any shows at Cardi's? I remember it was considered to be in BFE in 1983. "Way the fuck out in the middle of nowhere". It was somewhere in the area northeast of Parmer in Mopac iirc. And concerts out at Southpark meadows, which was also considered BFE. And the free Auditorium Shores concerts, including SRV, Joe Ely, & so many more. Guy Forsyth at the Continental Club in the 90s. Unreal. And re: Nancy Griffith, I remember once when a GF & I went up to Mt. Bonnell on like a Tuesday night and we walked down the rocks to see the downtown view. We got to the bottom and sat for a couple of minutes, and then this girls sat just a few feet up the hill and started playing guitar and singing for a couple of her friends. That was Nancy Griffith. As you say, you used to just fall ass backward into great music in Austin even when you weren't trying to.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, wood said:

Did you ever go to any shows at Cardi's? 

I saw Jack Bruce (of Cream) there.  Not my favorite artist, but whatever.  I was watching the show and I happened to see one of his bass cabinets suffer a speaker blowout.  That driver was flapping in the wind, so I went to the sound guy and pointed it out.  He was effusive in his thanks, he dialed back that cabinet, boosted the rest and the show went on.  After the show he introduced me to Jack, who was very grateful.  (Not that it really mattered, it was a stupid hard rock club in bumfuck North Austin.)

• Hook 'Em 3

13 hours ago, Mittens said:

Man's been like a dog on a bone all day.  

Reveal hidden contents

Nice. I've never minded Bomani. I tend to agree with him more often than not, and he's bringing the truth here, but I admit I don't hear/see his stuff as much as I used to. Dude definitely is not afraid to call it like he sees it, and I respect that a hell of a lot, esp these days.

On 12/22/2022 at 11:20 PM, El Squared said:

Any real ATX resident from the late 70s to the early 80s would sport tix to:

- the Skunks

-The Standing Waves

-The Judys

-Joe King Carrasco and the Crowns

- Extreme Heat

@ Liberty Lunch, Hole in the Wall, Club Foot

Saw these bands many times in Austin and Dallas, too (if my memory is correct). Club Foot was great for new wave/electronic music, many groovy new wave women wearing 80s-style ankle boots. Hole in the Wall for drinks and shooting pool on week nights when you blew off going to the library. 

clubfoot.jpg

Edited by BevoAbyss
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 10:03 AM, TrashMaster G said:

I saw Cheap Trick there in about '88.  F'n awesome, I was 4 feet from the stage.

CheapTrick '83 in the Reunion half-config

also, late to the game on the sharkbite bragfest

i've talked about srv solo and unscheduled on a monday night at steamboat

u2 war at the bronco bowl, 2nd joshua tree show at the summit

the first 2 sxsw were just fucking epic, total authentica

close friend GR got us invited to watch the reivers in a live set from the klbj studio

austin was epic

• Hook 'Em 1