Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

1 minute ago, Mr. Drummond said:

Same thing with my buddy.  He calls me to talk about something, and I ask him where he went to lunch, he must have had a few.   He tells me no and that his wife thought he was drunk a few days ago as well.     Finds out 3 weeks later its ALS, 3-4 years later, dead.

Damn sorry to hear about your friend :(  Such a horrible disease

• Hook 'Em 4

• Replies 72k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

I went to Cy Creek High School and was a year ahead of Sam Adams little brother.  While Sam wasn't the largest human being I've ever seen one time in the late 90s I was at the Petsmart getting dog food while he was playing with the Seahawks and he rolled into the parking lot in a Toyota Supra.  I have never seen such a large human being get out of such a small car.  I went over said hello and gave him a little good natured grief over his choice in wheels and he told me it was his mom's car haha.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Mittens said:

His high school coach told me that Heard may have the largest head on the planet.  When he tried to fit him for a helmet he didn't have one even close to fitting him. He called the company and told them what the measurement was and they told him that there was no way he was measuring correctly. He said he'd been doing that for 25 years and he was not wrong, company said if he ordered it and it was wrong they couldn't take it back because it would never be ordered again. It came in and it fit him, barely. His head looks too big for his body, and that's 350 lb body

1730822.png.182b5df02c4b19bb29e6a9220b1456e2.png

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

@closetojumping's cousin has an absurdly large head. That's all I got. 

Hahahaha. I forgot about that. And him. Geez. I called him a pumpkinhead one time and his mother came unhinged on me in a family gathering. "look, he's a big headed freak. that thing is freakish. you have to know that, right?" 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

That is amazing that he was diagnosed only a week ago. Wonder what symptoms he was experiencing because in my cousin's husband's situation, he went from playing adult baseball when he was diagnosed for just not feeling well to basically being glued to a wheel chair and not being able to barely speak 4-5 years later. He was diagnosed in his mid-50's and died at 59 or 60.

Gehrig's timeline is really striking.  He played 2130 games in a row.  He had a fairly abrupt decline in power and coordination at the beginning of the 1939 season.  He took himself out of the Yankees' starting lineup in May, and got the diagnosis a month or two later.  He was 36. 

He came back to deliver the "luckiest man on the face of the earth" speech that same summer.

He went from perennial all-star and pro athlete with record-setting longevity to death in like 26 months.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

From TxAggs: 

It's difficult to say it's just "one thing" that keeps us from getting over the hump.

Unless, however, you want to say that the one thing is a winning culture. The fact that a school of A&M's size and wealth hasn't really been close to a championship in any of the major men's sports in my nearly 45 years of being an Aggie, despite huge money spent and multiple coaching changes, tells me that losing is mostly cultural.

The school obviously has no idea on how to change that. Money-whipping new coaches doesn't seem to work, so why do it again?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

From TxAggs: 
It's difficult to say it's just "one thing" that keeps us from getting over the hump.
Unless, however, you want to say that the one thing is a winning culture. The fact that a school of A&M's size and wealth hasn't really been close to a championship in any of the major men's sports in my nearly 45 years of being an Aggie, despite huge money spent and multiple coaching changes, tells me that losing is mostly cultural.
The school obviously has no idea on how to change that. Money-whipping new coaches doesn't seem to work, so why do it again?
Why do it again? Well for starters you idiots set the bar for overpaying your coaches. No HFC with a decent resume will be insulted by having a contract that's too far below Jimbo's...or you know, normal P5 coaching salary/conditions for anyone not named Saban or Smart.

Klieman or Leipold would both be a good hires for aggy, but neither are splashy enough names (and from the BDF) so they won't get a serious look. I'm thinking Dabo's retirement portfolio starts looking a lot better either this year or next...or they may make a run at someone like Dan Lanning if Knight doesn't want to keep him too badly. I'm really having trouble coming up with names that are high profile enough (and realistic) for an aggy beyond desperate for relevancy and a seat at the big boy table.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, sbmcruise said:

From TxAggs: 

with that much money and resources, you’d think they’d luck into one championship 

Does meat judging in 2004 count  ?

IMG_6941.jpeg

On 11/6/2023 at 3:18 PM, Billy Pilgrim said:

Interesting that there’s no Alabama, Georgia, OU or Ole Miss on the schedule. I wonder if the SEC said fuck yo “gentleman’s agreement” but we’ll throw you a bone and give you a cream puff schedule with the exception of Texas and LSU in 2024.

You got that backwards, look at who is not on their schedule and that’s what the SEC is planning to hit them with in 25 or 26.  It’s going to break their fragile little egos when they get  UT, Bama, UGA, LSU, OU, Ole Miss, Tenn, Kentucky, and the foot come off their throat for a Vandy gimme.  

this is the big middle finger from the SEC for being such pussies about everything.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Everyone knows it takes 7 seasons to finally “get there”

These two paragraphs RIGHT FUCKING NEXT TO EACH OTHER cracked me up:

Their lone double-digit loss this season came in Week 2 in a nonconference contest at Miami, 48-33, before the defense developed into one of the SEC’s top units under second-year coordinator D.J. Durkin.  

The A&M offense behind first-year coordinator Bobby Petrino showed plenty of life, too, against No. 10 Ole Miss on Saturday in Oxford, Miss., in scoring four touchdowns (one of the Aggies’ five touchdowns occurred on special teams) in A&M’s 38-35 loss, and the Aggies’ three SEC losses have been by an average of 5.3 points. 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Here's something else I didn't realize until right now and, fucking wow. Apparently Texags and Liucci run the official NIL program for the school. I'm not talking about the Texags version. I'm talking about the Texas Aggies United. Some guy on 247 involved with it comes onto a thread about it and declares that Texags and Liucci "only run the servers for us" which is hilariously specious. Oh, does Texags have a monopoly on server management and infosec for aggies? Absurd.

Anyway, here's some poster's response who has respect on the board and seems like a relatively intelligent and level-headed poster from other things I've seen. He mentions something that I hadn't considered, but it is quite insidious and he clearly is alluding to it happening before - Texags and Liucci turning over personal data to the AD when they've got a problem with posters. Now, NIL donors will also be at risk. 

Imagine if @immamac and @blacklab were often turning over info about posters to the LHF or AD? Holy shit. 

Anyway, here is the post:

Mac1014

"RayRay11 said... (original post) It all really sucks. The only thing I’ll say is the Texas Aggies united NIL fund is not going to TexAgs. They run the website for us. That’s it. But Mac knows that."

No, I don't know that. Nobody knows who is running this entity, right? Fair or not that would present a challenge for anyone wanting to stroke checks.

Nobody knows what all goes on in the Texags frat house, but we do know they are a shady bunch and anything that outfit has a hand in becomes suspect.

The blaring narrative right now is that, accurate or not, everyone blames A&M's establishment for being an 8 win school. They want new blood running things and people with expectations etc etc (right?) They want to be like Texas and Bama and LSU and fire coaches after three years of nonperformance.

It's y'alls deal of course, and we all applaud you guys for trying hard and spending time playing around with it all. You get to see how the cake is baked and be a part of it so I'm sure it's fun to a point....but think of it like this. If you're a MAGA person, Texags represents the 'deep state' or the 'swamp' if you will....and in the spirit of fairness if you're a liberal, Texags represents MAGA people, (hopefully that covers everybody). So it only makes it tougher to a degree having TexAgs attach their name to it.

It paints an image of Muffchin carrying Sharp's luggage on a weekend hunting trip with Jimbo since we've all seen what Muffchin & Co is willing to do to maintain locker room access.

Anything with a 'Texags' moniker on it brings up the fact that they work for the athletic department and you never know when they are going to decide to reveal people's personal information to maintain access, or do anything they are told to by the powers that be.

Everybody sees how they censor that board, and we see the b.s. Billy puts out there online and on his tours of interviews on the SEC Network with Marty & McGee and Finebaum and what-not. It's embarrassing and nauseating.

Of course TexAgs has 854154801 subscribers, so I'm certain it presents a large pool to draw a gozillion $250 p/yr donors from, but I'm guessing you guys are needing more 5 and 6 figure donors to keep players from bolting in the portal.

Either way, good luck to you guys because you're probably going to need a ton of money to hold onto talent around here while Jimbo gets QB's crippled and blames it on players not executing for 6 straight years.

4 top 10 classes in 6 years and he can't beat teams that haven't had top 15 classes. That's a hard ticket to sell, I'm sure.

Is this TexAgs NIL situation as screwed up as it sounds? Not just them sharing donor info; TexAgs knows which players (recruits?) get how much? 

That doesn’t seem wise. 

So, Jimbo gets another year?

There is one turnaround tactic that could be effective. It’s the tactic of evaluate your program, objectively, and candidly assessing “were I fired, what would my replacement do?”

Then, do those things. 

I doubt Jimbo has that much self awareness. 

Jimbo is spent money, 25% up front is not the issue, the issue is that they need to pay the staff, future staff/hc salary and buyout. 

Honestly I always argued that G5 teams should concentrate on promoting internally for HC, since they are constantly poached, give them a more holistic training baked into the contract, have the next man up.

A&M has a putrid staff though, but they honestly should have gone this route in hindsight. Petrino seems to be their only realistic choice.

19 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

We need Jimbo to pull off an improbable win and give those yokels some fool’s gold hope heading into the off season.  

Those suckers will have hope either way.  He was won enough plus the no "Wiggy" excuse.  And the moral victories.

He is fortunate Leach passed away.  Made Miss State a gimme.  And Auburn and Arkansas being God awful.

Otherwise he would easily be in line for another 5-7 season.

Edited by Frank Drebin

17 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

Gehrig's timeline is really striking.  He played 2130 games in a row.  He had a fairly abrupt decline in power and coordination at the beginning of the 1939 season.  He took himself out of the Yankees' starting lineup in May, and got the diagnosis a month or two later.  He was 36. 

He came back to deliver the "luckiest man on the face of the earth" speech that same summer.

He went from perennial all-star and pro athlete with record-setting longevity to death in like 26 months.

Gehrig was an absolute beast and if I didn't love Yogi Berra so much he would be my all time favorite Yankee. I just love the fact that he was badass enough to let his nuts hang in Babe Ruth's face. Name another man alive at the time who had the stones to that...

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Lhorn said:

We need Jimbo to pull off an improbable win and give those yokels some fool’s gold hope heading into the off season.  

There's already 100% belief that "next year" is actually THE year because of the schedule.  No Alabama and ND/Texas/LSU in College Station. 

Don't really see how that fixes their offensive line that will have QB1 in a wheelchair by week 5.

Edited by Js1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

There's already 100% belief that "next year" is actually THE year because of the schedule.  No Alabama and ND/Texas/LSU in College Station. 

Don't really see how that fixes their offensive line that will have QB1 in a wheelchair by week 5.

If I was aggy I'd be more concerned about getting at least 1 of the 2 QBs to actually return for next year. If I'm Weigman or Johnson I'm 100% entering the portal to hear what is out there and making aggy per$uade me to stay at a minimum.

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

If I was aggy I'd be more concerned about getting at least 1 of the 2 QBs to actually return for next year. If I'm Weigman or Johnson I'm 100% entering the portal to hear what is out there and making aggy per$uade me to stay at a minimum.

Whoever leaves, it won't matter.  One of the 2024 3* QBs they have coming in will be the REAL DEAL.  As is written every offseason - the next savior at QB. 

• Like 1