Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

55 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

For the love of God, don’t do that vs OSU.  Mullet can act like he doesn’t care but for him it would make his career.  We gave you all 77-0.  Please reciprocate.  

We have one thing going for us. For the first time since Gundy became HC, he and his staff spent no time this past spring and summer watching Texas tape or gameplanning Texas. He has to start this week, just like Sark. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

• Replies 72k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

33 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Evan Stewart hasn't liked or commented on any posts regarding the hire. Dude is busy planning his next move.

Evan will not announce anything until he is done with exams and off campus.

No one in his or a similar situation should announce shit until they are done with the semester. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

How funny would it be if we got Evan Stewart through the portal anyways?

Sarkisian just mentioned again in his presser that players they take in the portal need to be "culture fits" to come to Texas. I really don't see us taking Stewart.

Every good player is not necessarily worth the headache. See: Evans, Zach. And that fat piece of shit lineman, who is now a skinny piece of shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, orangebird said:

He really was.  I'll never forget being entertained by his commentary about bat poop in that shitbox stadium of theirs, and his constant use of "our friends in the State Capital" when referring to us.  I mean, I probably lost IQ points every time I read his drivel, but in a way, I sort of miss it.

I remember those Weekly Wednesdays would drop at 4pm, and if they hadn't shown up by 4:05, there would be 20 posts on the Hornfans aggy thread asking if anyone had that week's Weekly Wednesday.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Why would Elko be scared? 

If you flew into college station in the middle of the night and then were given a dozen sheep dressed in lingerie and a cadet snuff boy and told "it's tradition that we watch the first session" you would be scared too.

• Like 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

1 hour ago, Redneck Mutha said:

I was thinking this same thing last night.  Is this Charlie Strong redux?

I don't think Elko is Charlie Strong level given what he did do at Duke(different animal from Louisville regarding football) but that doesn't mean he might not be gone in 3-4 years.

59 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

ND is a marquee name, but they're trash and next year is likely Freeman's last, so aggy will probably start 5-0 ranked in the Top 10 feeling great about themselves until the inevitable crash.

First loss prediction...at Miss State.

Freeman has 9 wins in each of his first two years and could reach 10 with a bowl win. His seat isn't even warm.

Just now, chainsaw said:

Can anyone, money aside, say with a straight face that Elko is an upgrade from Jimbo?

Now imagine paying to make that "upgrade" and make that make sense.

GIF by South Park

they were never going to upgrade.  It was all about being done with the stupid contract, trying to keep everyone from portalling, have a new coach that can "sell" a new vision, and hopefully beat Texas(new coach excuse built in if they lose).  They knew if Jimbo lost to Texas, recruiting was gonna just get worse with nothing to sell.

new object(even if not shiny) is still new.

It is as simple as that.  Marketing 101.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

I don't think Elko is Charlie Strong level given what he did do at Duke(different animal from Louisville regarding football) but that doesn't mean he might not be gone in 3-4 years.

Counterpoint: I would argue that David Cutcliffe laid a lot of the groundwork for Elko's success at Duke.  Cutcliffe was admittedly awful during his last few years at Duke, although I don't know that Elko was there long enough to get his own recruits into the system at Duke.  We just don't really have enough data to ascertain whether Elko could have sustained that success while at Duke.  Given that a substantial portion of Duke's current talent is moving on after this season, it's likely that Elko decided to strike while the iron is hot.  Does he have it in him to keep it going at aggy?  Guess we're about to find out.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Miss St was “fire the coach after one year” bad this year.  And they just hired Art Briles son in law.  Starting QB is in the portal.  They got up for the Egg Bowl and kept it respectable but in the big picture it’s a bigger dumpster fire than A&M over there.  

Sure. But Dillon Gabriel is probably portaling there in his 6th year with their HC so I would guess that State will be somewhat respectable next year.  That is a hump aggy hasn't gotten over (winning a road game against a somewhat respectable team). 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, orangebird said:

Counterpoint: I would argue that David Cutcliffe laid a lot of the groundwork for Elko's success at Duke.  Cutcliffe was admittedly awful during his last few years at Duke, although I don't know that Elko was there long enough to get his own recruits into the system at Duke.  We just don't really have enough data to ascertain whether Elko could have sustained that success while at Duke.  Given that a substantial portion of Duke's current talent is moving on after this season, it's likely that Elko decided to strike while the iron is hot.  Does he have it in him to keep it going at aggy?  Guess we're about to find out.

Cutcliffe did take Duke to a sustained level of success for them for a bit. it burned down the last 3 years. Louisville has had success over multiple coaches. It is mainly that Louisville is easier to turn around than Duke in general IMO.  Kragthorpe was not good though.

21 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

That's one reason I'm interested in the contract details. They are already paying Jimbo through 2031 to the tune of $7.2M per. It would be peak aggy if they have to start making payments on 3 coaches in a few years. Just based on what top coaches are making these days and aggy desperately wanting the world to know how rich they are, I'd expect him in that $9M range to compare with Freshwater and Stoops. 

1. Nick Saban, Alabama (No. 1 overall): $11.407 million
2. Kirby Smart, Georgia (No. 3 overall): $10.706 million
3. Brian Kelly, LSU (No. 6 overall): $9.975 million
4. Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M (No. 7 overall): $9.15 million
5. Mark Stoops, Kentucky (No. 8 overall): $9.014 million
6. Josh Heupel, Tennessee (No. 9 overall): $9 million
7. Lane Kiffin, Ole Miss (No. 10 overall): $9 million
8. Billy Napier, Florida (No. 16 overall): $7.27 million
9. Hugh Freeze, Auburn (No. 20 overall): $6.5 million
10. Sam Pittman, Arkansas (No. 22 overall): $6.358 million
11. Shane Beamer, South Carolina (No. 24 overall): $6.125 million
12. Eliah Drinkwitz, Missouri (No. 25 overall): $6 million
13. Clark Lea, Vanderbilt (No. 56 overall): $3.052 million
14. Zach Arnett, Mississippi State No. (58 overall): $3 million

I think Elko's agent is Sexton, so we all know who will win a negotiating battle between Sexton and aggy. 

Edited by Blotto

1 minute ago, wood said:

Can someone remind me what Sark's salary is?

Sarkisian signed a six-year, $34.2 million contract with Texas in 2021. His contract stipulated annual $200,000 increases, so his salary has gone up from its starting figure of $5.2 million to its current $5.6 million. USA TODAY lists his buyout at $12,926,667.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Sarkisian signed a six-year, $34.2 million contract with Texas in 2021. His contract stipulated annual $200,000 increases, so his salary has gone up from its starting figure of $5.2 million to its current $5.6 million. USA TODAY lists his buyout at $12,926,667.

Dang. advantage aggy yet again!

12 minutes ago, Blotto said:

That's one reason I'm interested in the contract details. They are already paying Jimbo through 2031 to the tune of $7.2M per. It would be peak aggy if they have to start making payments on 3 coaches in a few years. Just based on what top coaches are making these days and aggy desperately wanting the world to know how rich they are, I'd expect him in that $9M range to compare with Freshwater and Stoops. 

I think Elko's agent is Sexton, so we all know who will win a negotiating battle between Sexton and aggy. 

good point.  they may be forced to keep him 6 years.

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

My brother and sister both went to ND, so there's a bit of family rivalry in my prediction.

But aggy has them at home and they'll be working on that game plan all off-season.

Will Notre Dame just be ignoring the game all offseason? Would think people will eventually learn that you can't pencil in wins for the aggies against capable opponents - especially ones that have any ability to pressure the QB. 

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

Of all the insane shit about Aggy that I'll never understand, perhaps the one thing that is most mystifying is why they insist on being so declarative about shit that can be so easily factually disputed or disregarded based on historical performance.

"We don't have a plan B. We identify our top target and go get him" - You literally hired your backup plan when the original backup plan was mocked by your fanbase. 

"This is not an 8-4 job" - Your historical performance over the past 25 years is 8-4 and you hired a guy that fell short of those middling expectations in the ACC.

The plaque. That's all. The plaque.

NONE of that shit needed to be said or done. They're so fucking obsessed with projecting their own (hilariously inaccurate) manufactured sense of confidence and superiority that they continue to do and say unbelievably stupid shit.

They publicly state that one of the main things they were looking for in a coach was his ability to keep their illustrious #1 class of all time intact. Never mind that from a program-building perspective the class was comically weighted to one position group, filled with character risks and out-of-state mercenaries that aren't ever likely to succeed. Who from that class has turned into a "must retain" stud? Name one. You can't. Walter Nolan? He's a good player. He's not a dude opposing OCs have to scheme around. Evan Stewart? He's gone. Bryce Anderson? Maybe he'll get there? If you're wanting to rid yourself of the festering rot of mediocrity that has plagued your program for 25 years none of those guys should matter. Project cautious confidence in the capability of the new guy and give him time to build the program the way he wants to. But no, you can't do that. You're making decisions that will reverberate for decades hoping against all odds that you win one game next year. 

This is how stupid people run shit. It's fucking absurd.

Cultural insecurity and inferiority complex leads to constant need for validation.  It's pretty simple.

• Hook 'Em 4

34 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Still can’t believe Stoops gets 9 million a year to just stay afloat. 

6 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Of all the insane shit about Aggy that I'll never understand, perhaps the one thing that is most mystifying is why they insist on being so declarative about shit that can be so easily factually disputed or disregarded based on historical performance.

This is how stupid people run shit. It's fucking absurd.

It is their culture.

It is who they are. That's why running away from Texas didn't work. They are incapable of "fixing themselves." They have to have everyone looking at them while they're being fucking weird.

There is zero evidence this will work based on his resume both before and after he became a head coach.

In 12 years with Dave Clawson they won 10 games and a conference title one time in 2013 at BGSU. Their biggest win during this time was over #16 Northern Illinois in the MAC championship game. 

In 1 year with Kelly at ND they were 10-3 with a citrus bowl win over LSU. Their best win was over a #11 USC led by Clay Helton. 

In 4 years with Fisher they had 1 good season at 9-1 in a year with only 1 good opponent which ran over them. Their best win was vs #1 Alabama who played for the CFP championship in 2021. 

In 2 years at Duke he has lost to Kansas, GT, UNC, Pitt, and Virginia who are all 8-4 or worse the last 2 years. His defining win was the worst Clemson team in 13 years. 

In 14 years of being a DC or HC he has finished ranked a grand total of 4 times with one top 10 finish. 

Charlie Strong had twice the resume Mike Elko has. 

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Doesn’t Sexton rep ALL but one of the coaches in the SEC? That’s the whole damn list right here.

Just now, MrBig said:

Doesn’t Sexton rep ALL but one of the coaches in the SEC? That’s the whole damn list right here.

Sexton negotiated Stoops deal with aggy, and then when aggy went full aggy, he turned around the next day and negotiated Elko's deal. Wonder who had the leverage in that scenario? 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

1 hour ago, statsman said:

We have one thing going for us. For the first time since Gundy became HC, he and his staff spent no time this past spring and summer watching Texas tape or gameplanning Texas. He has to start this week, just like Sark. 

What are you talking about the slow start was probably due to him game planning OU and Texas this offseason. He knew he would play OU and if he got here he would probably play Texas.

1 hour ago, orangebird said:

this is a bad trajectory that started in 2016 then truly fell off in 2019

image.png.0f4b95f201de6b4ea7484c8beb55981a.png

idk if he could have sustained the progress but the fact of that matter is that Elko won 9 games in 2022 and they won 10 total in 2019-2021 total

Edited by NoName

53 minutes ago, Blotto said:

going back to 1950 their coaches have averaged 5.3 years. if you take out RC's 13 years they averaged 4.7

they have had more coaches there who have been there 4 or fewer seasons (7) than 5 or more years (6)

they have had exactly 1 coach since 1950 who was there for the 8 seasons Elko would need to be there for them to only pay 1 coach at a time - RC.

add in that they will get a new AD in the near future who will want his own guy and have a shorter leash for Elko than if he had hired him himself plus their history, and they are all but guaranteed to be paying 3 coaches at once before 2031.

• Drool 1

24 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

There is zero evidence this will work based on his resume both before and after he became a head coach.

In 12 years with Dave Clawson they won 10 games and a conference title one time in 2013 at BGSU. Their biggest win during this time was over #16 Northern Illinois in the MAC championship game. 

In 1 year with Kelly at ND they were 10-3 with a citrus bowl win over LSU. Their best win was over a #11 USC led by Clay Helton. 

In 4 years with Fisher they had 1 good season at 9-1 in a year with only 1 good opponent which ran over them. Their best win was vs #1 Alabama who played for the CFP championship in 2021. 

In 2 years at Duke he has lost to Kansas, GT, UNC, Pitt, and Virginia who are all 8-4 or worse the last 2 years. His defining win was the worst Clemson team in 13 years. 

In 14 years of being a DC or HC he has finished ranked a grand total of 4 times with one top 10 finish. 

Charlie Strong had twice the resume Mike Elko has. 

This reminds me of the Tom Herman hire based on him beating Oklahoma. Then you go watch that Oklahoma game and OU receivers are running wide open all game and OU is shooting itself in the foot with bad passes. I hated the Sarkisian hire due to his record and his WTF losses at Washington and USC.  Yet the one thing that gave me hope was he attempted to hire Muschamp and then hired PK. The PK hire was good because PKs numbers were good. That was very telling of Sark as a program builder.  So if Elko makes E. Rob the DC and hires buddies as assistants he will be on the Strong and Herman path.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

The "spending like a drunken sailor" analogy is kinda lame and played out, but I can't think of anything that suits aggy better.

Guy gets paid, has nothing else to spend it on so he goes to the club and buys rounds of shots for everyone, orders a couple bottles while flashing a roll of cash every chance he gets. At the end of the evening he gets righteously indigent he hasn't been invited to the invitation only VIP area in the back reserved for celebrities, friends and business associates of the owner and other people who have proven they can behave themselves back there.

aggy thinks they can buy their way into the club, but at the end of the evening nobody remembers the goober buying rounds for the house and the waitstaff wants to kick him out for cheapskate tipping.