Have you contracted Covid-19 (Jan'22 Omicron Edition)

0xdeadbeef

Have you contracted Covid-19 (Jan'22 Omicron Edition)  

166 members have voted

1. 1. It's mid-January 2022 and all the cool kids are getting Covid-19.

• Yes, I've had it.
    • No, not that I know of.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/25/22 at 08:35 AM

Never test confirmed but 99.99% certain I caught initial strain back in August 2020. Had what felt like a moderate cold for a day or two and then felt fine. Few days later I'm sauteeing some onions and garlic and notice that I'm not smelling anything. Stuck my face an inch from the pan and nothing. About 10 days of zero to little taste/smell followed. Hell of a coincidence if it wasn't the 'rona.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

It looks like a better question is who hasn't had the Rona? I feel like my family is one of the few that has remained Rona-free.

Of my near-immediate family, only SIL caught it wayyy back in the days. Wasnt terrible and somehow didnt spread to her husband and kid. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just got word one of my sisters has it. She and Bro-in-law are both vaxxed, I imagine they'll do OK. The thing that is iffy is that they previously took in his mom to take care of her, and she is elderly with various conditions. The lady is probably still safer than she'd be in a nursing home.

Well I’m about find out.  Moderna on Feb 1/Mar 4, full strength booster August 25, negative antibodies via Cares a week later but 2500+ for spike.  Wife same.  Kids with Pfizer second round December 7. 

Wife started with scratchy throat and cough yesterday, and we used the last two home tests on the kids today to see if they could go to school…5yo girl negative, 8yo boy positive almost instantly.  Taking the whole family to get tested here shortly, and I’ve started coughing/throat too. 

No worries here given we are all vaccinated, but the district policy of employees (of which my wife is one) only get 5 days quarantine but the students still need 10, means that I’ll likely be a single parent trying to work for 5 days solo next week.  That is gonna suck because I still gotta work and my 5yo is insane. 

Friends of ours we saw this weekend are firmly anti vaccine / masks given ‘you’ll get it anyways’, and if we were unknowingly contagious at the time then they’re about to FAFO.  

I guess Jan/Feb is cursed…last year kids were home like half of those 8 weeks due to snow storms and this year it’ll be due to Covid.  If both my wife and I are positive I’ll be glad to get it over, it’s trying to keep my kids happy locked in the house that has me praying for Mojo

I had something back in late January 2020.  It was like a really bad cold, but I lost my sense of smell (normal when I am congested) and completely lost my sense of taste (with a normal cold, it is usually muted, but I could not taste anything for two weeks).  There were no tests at this point in time, so I have zero idea if I had it or not (and I am not in Texas, so could not do Texas cares testing, plus hate blood draws).

Had close contact with people that tested positive last winter, but never tested positive.  

Got my first Pfizer shot on May 1, 2021.  Got my second on May 22, 2021.  Got my 3rd Pfizer on November 22, 2021.

I tested positive with what I believe was Omicron on December 14, 2021.  I had a slight fever (99.5) for less than 24 hours and had some bad congestion for about 5 days like I normally get with a cold (i.e. lost sense of smell, taste was muted as well, but not totally gone).  Other than that, I felt fine.  My symptoms had started the day before (the 13th) and everything was completely cleared up by that Sunday (December 19, 2021).  Honestly, I have had worse colds and allergy seasons.  I believe that my incredibly mild case was thanks to having the 3rd dose in November.  I quarantined for 10 days.  That was, IMO, the worst part of it.    

I have a Dr. appointment at the end of this month, and am going to talk to my doctor about when to get a 4th dose.  Trying to time it well with a trip to Paris in May (though might get it earlier if I am headed to the UK for work). 

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

I thought the recommended quarantine protocol was cut down to five days?

TEA has 5 days for staff, 10 days for students…feel rough for those who don’t have a WFH spouse or other avenue to cover those five days. 

And now I get my WTF moment…all four of us were negative on the PCR.  Guess my QuickVue rapid threw a very rare false positive on the 8yo.  My wife has been having ‘symptoms’ for two days now, so I’d like to think a PCR would be accurate for now.  

If we're limiting this to Omicron, then negative, Ghost Rider. had OG COVID back in mid-March 2020. Two shots of Pfizer in Feb/March 2021 and then boosted the weekend of the conference championship games. Son and ex (both unvaxxed) came down with something nasty last week. He tested negative on rapid at pediatrician's on Mon afternoon but we could've been early there. Daughter (vaxxed) got hit with something different (or she just reacted differently) and her main symptom was headache and massive fatigue. She tested negative (rapid) on Thurs afternoon and PCR on Friday. My cedar fever has been worse this year but I haven't taken a COVID test. I'd be shocked if son/ex didn't have it. Would love him to take anti-body test but he's deathly afraid of them taking blood samples. It's only a matter of time with my son, though.

I was sick the day after Christmas.  Couldn't get an easy test.   Classic Omicron symptoms for a boosted person but I did my second Texas cares blood draw the following Monday and it was negative but my understanding is that it can take up to 3 weeks for those anti-bodies to show up.    So maybe.   I would like to know if I did have it because I'd behave differently and have less stress about getting stuck on my international trip Jan 31.

Edited by midtown

Mrs. CHIEF started feeling bad Wednesday, lost her voice, headache, sore throat, bad cough, she chalked it up to allergies. Tested negative on Thursday. I started her on Amoxicillin and Guafinex that I found in the medicine cabinet at her mother's house, in Cedar Park.

Her mother had been in hospice for a week, and finally passed on the same Thursday. The funeral was supposed to be today. Sunday morning, she still wasn't getting better, so I made her take another test, and she tested positive. Talk about a meltdown. No way was she going to miss her mother's funeral. Luckily we were able to postpone it for a week. Here brother has been staying at their mother's house.

I quickly loaded Mrs. CHIEF, and CHIEF Jr. and drove back to Granbury, we stopped at the ER in Glen Rose, where there were zero other patients in the waiting room. They tested her again, and she was for sure positive. The rotating ER doc was our regular doctor, he said he was treating symptoms just like an infection from severe cedar allergies (Guafatussin, dexamethasone, Zpack, and amoxicillin). She is better already, but CHIEF Jr. is about two days behind her, so she is sharing her meds until we can get him a round. He was running 102 degree fever two nights ago. If I have it, which I don't know anyway I could have avoided it at this point, my symptoms are like a mild allergy, almost asymptomatic. We are J&J vaxxed.

To be honest, Austin, Cedar Park, and RR was like a war zone compared to rural areas where people are more spread out. The population centers are getting crushed. 

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Chief, what kind of test was the initial negative?  Rapid or PCR

The first two were rapid tests (she had them from work). I assume the hospital used a rapid test as well, as we had her results about 15 minutes after they tested her. Neither myself or CHIEF Jr. took a test, he was assumed positive after exhibiting the same symptoms. I'm still "up in the air" about being positive, but staying quarantined anyway.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

The first two were rapid tests (she had them from work). I assume the hospital used a rapid test as well, as we had her results about 15 minutes after they tested her. Neither myself or CHIEF Jr. took a test, he was assumed positive after exhibiting the same symptoms. I'm still "up in the air" about being positive, but staying quarantined anyway.

CHIEF

Ok thanks.  I was certain we were about to all be dinged, given my wife/my symptoms and one rapid showing positive for the 8yo…but if all 4 PCR from today were negative then I guess it’s something else.  Ugh.  

Edited by Homercles

On 1/17/2022 at 12:30 PM, Immaculate Vibes said:

Yes. Had delta this summer. Daughter has omicron now. Out of family of 6, only wife and oldest son remain unscathed. 

On 1/17/2022 at 1:03 PM, 4th&Five said:

Me, wife and oldest daughter are still yet to have it. Youngest had delta before she could be vaccinated. 

On 1/17/2022 at 2:29 PM, jkates said:

I've had symptoms but haven't bothered to get tested. Maybe I've had it. Maybe not. Meh.

6 hours ago, Armybrat said:

How would I know if I have it, after having aches & pains plus a dull headache for at least three years?

Does anyone really know if they are unscathed unless they are testing all the time? I thought I had a cold but wasn't sure.   At the time, I wanted to get tested but I couldn't find an at home test anywhere and had no intention of waiting in a long ass line for what might have been a cold.  The cold spreads to my son and he takes a test that his school made him take.  Negative.  Ok, I must have had a cold.  A few days later, at school testing, both kids test positive.  Son's symptoms are gone and daughter is asymptomatic.  Wife and I take rapid tests, both negative.  I tell my parents who had been exposed and they both test positive.  Clearly, I had it at some point.  Both kids have now tested negative but wife is now positive and has cold like symptoms.  Everyone is fully vaxed.  Wife is boosted.

Long story short, I think there is a whole lot of spread and this thing is more like a cold, at least in the fully vaccinated and there are probably a bunch like my daughter who have no symptoms at all spreading it because they don't know. 

No idea the data on this so I'm not making life choices based on it or not.  

But it seems to me that while highly transmissible, but much less severe, the Omicron variant is presenting fewer asymptomatic cases (as a percentage of its total cases) than the Delta, Alpha, and other variants.  Even when accounting for breakthrough cases, it looks as if Covid asymptomatic was running about 35-40% of cases.  It now seems to be significantly lower than that.  Again, I am more than happy to onboard new information to the contrary.  And certainly not impacting anything we're doing to mitigate things in our family.  Just seems like everybody who is getting it, is very much expressing symptoms---thankfully...a helluva lot less severe ones! 

20 minutes ago, PhillyD said:

Long story short, I think there is a whole lot of spread and this thing is more like a cold, at least in the fully vaccinated and there are probably a bunch like my daughter who have no symptoms at all spreading it because they don't know

Definitely this.   Throw in people who can't even get a test and it's got to be double the reported infections.

8 minutes ago, Homercles said:

There are antibody kits that can detect prior infection.

Can you show me please?  So far the only nucleocapsid test I can find online requires a doctor.  Texas cares study is giving this info as well.  There are several that simply measure anti-bodies but don't differentiate between natural and vaccine induced.

@Homercles

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Homercles said:

There are antibody kits that can detect prior infection.  They may be a little easier to score than a rapid, but won’t really work until 1-3 weeks after an infection…at least from what I’ve read 

But what good is that?  If I definitely had it, what do I need to do with that information?  And also, if your fully vaxxed, wouldn't that mess up the kit readings?

On 1/17/2022 at 2:12 PM, burntorangebongos said:

I had exposure from my friend on Friday and she tested positive Saturday. I dont have symptoms but I plan on testing tomorrow. I don't know if I should test only if I have symptoms or go ahead and test anyway?

Update: I got a flowflex antigen covid 19 rapid test and tested today and it says negative. I sat on a couch for about 45 minutes between 2 people, one that was positive and one that just tested positive due to same notification as me. I am going to test again on Thursday and see if it was false negative. I have cedar fever so have sneezing fits and slightly runny nose this time of year and I dont feel differently from usual. I tried to order the  government home tests at covidtest.gov but my address pulls up as already ordered so I'm fucked out of that. It is 4 tests per address in the order or about 40 bucks. What an Asshole whoever fucked me out of it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It's odd:

• The people in my orbit seem to be about 80% have had it...and most were recent cases.
  • The poll in this thread is running about 35% having had COVID-19
  • The official number of TX have about 4.6 Million cases; with a total population of 29Million, that's only about 16%. (assuming no repeat customers)

I guess if you double the official numbers to account for people not able to get tests, or doing home tests and not reporting it, the official number gets close to this surlyhorns self-reporting poll.  

Edited by 0xdeadbeef

9 hours ago, Homercles said:

No worries here given we are all vaccinated, but the district policy of employees (of which my wife is one) only get 5 days quarantine but the students still need 10, means that I’ll likely be a single parent trying to work for 5 days solo next week.  That is gonna suck because I still gotta work and my 5yo is insane. 

This is pretty fucked up and a misinterpretation of what the CDC was trying to accomplish (which they clearly bungled like all of their messaging).  Same issue my cousin is going through.  She has it and passed it on to 1 year old daughter and husband.  Her "5 day" period is up tomorrow but she's still symptomatic/feels shitty (JNJ only) and employer expecting her to work remotely.  Meanwhile has a sick 1 year old, no nanny in right mind is coming to a Covid household to help and husband just became symptomatic today and apparently laid up with fever, etc.   I think her employer is working with her but I have no doubt many employers are taking the 5 day CDC guidance as some bright line rule and fucking over employees with less leverage.

8 hours ago, Armybrat said:

I thought the recommended quarantine protocol was cut down to five days?

5 hours ago, Homercles said:

TEA has 5 days for staff, 10 days for students…feel rough for those who don’t have a WFH spouse or other avenue to cover those five days.

It's a five-day quarantine for my son's elementary school (Highland Park) -- five days from when symptoms started and fever free for more than 24 hours.  You can cut that down if you provide proof of a negative COVID test.

But my girlfriend's daughter tested positive yesterday and she's at Canyon Vista (RRISD).  They have a 10-day quarantine following the TEA recommendation, and you can't test out of it.  You'd think a district like RRISD would have the less stringent quarantine requirements, but there you are.  Seems like that 10-day period discourages parents from self reporting and just sending their kids to school if symptoms seem nothing more than cedar fever.   

I had it last week, symptoms super mild. Light sore throat for 4 days and then the day of brain fog.

I worked out today and noticed my heart rate was much higher than normal for a light workout but my breathing seemed normal. Yes, I’ve been lazy since the holidays, but my two workouts the week before covid were pretty normal.

Anyone have a similar experience? I suppose I’m still in that window of having it so that could explain it.

I had it last week. Daughter had over half her class out and 3 of her closest friends all get it from a sleep over she was at. She had a headache maybe 2 days later and then I got symptoms 2 days after that. Felt tired for a day. Headache and sneezing/congestion. 1 day later totally fine. Tested positive to confirm. I had covid originally over a yr ago in Nov. It lasted a week and was 50x worse. This was nothing. FYI not vaxxed. Maybe I would've had no symptoms at all if vaxxed? Not sure but it was not even in the top 30 colds I've had in my life. 

Edited by Passive Aggressive Coach
  • Fuck You 1

Never had covid, got the omi last week, vaxed and boosted, this thing is kicking my ass. First couple days flu like feeling, aches cough fever. Gone by the third day but now I'm just so damn fatigued, I'm not doing anything yet body is exhausted and weak. This sucks

5 minutes ago, Smax said:

Never had covid, got the omi last week, vaxed and boosted, this thing is kicking my ass. First couple days flu like feeling, aches cough fever. Gone by the third day but now I'm just so damn fatigued, I'm not doing anything yet body is exhausted and weak. This sucks

That's the symptoms I got 14 Mos ago when I got it. The fatgue lasted an entire week along with a headache most of that time. I did get a heavy chest for a day but never went beyond that thank God. Good thing is I've read Omicron is mainly more upper respiratory than the other variants. 

Edited by Passive Aggressive Coach

Finally got me. I am a teacher and coach so I am surprised it took me this long.

Had cough, shortness of breath, and aches. Took home test, negative. Next day still felt crappy so went to doctor. Rapid test was negative but he still wanted to do PCR. Next day that came back positive. I'm vaxxed and boosted.

I came down with Covid 2 days after Thanksgiving. I first noticed food tasted off and Sunday my  taste and smell were gone. But the worst was the fatigue. It was like there is another level beyond fatigue I don't have a name for. Twice since I had Covid the fatigue his me again, like someone pulled a plug and I could feel all the energy drain out. Last time was January 2 we were just leaving a restaurant and I could feel it. Canceled our plans and went home, got on the recliner for the rest of the day without moving. Took the next day to recover. That stuff is just Wicked!

Just tested positive. Sinus drainage and chest congestion with a cough right now. I feel really warm but thermometer says 98.9. I got both moderna vaccines plus moderna booster. Rapid was negative yesterday but positive just a few minutes ago. Since I'm in health care I'm gonna do a PCR in the morning just to confirm.

But I still got my taste and smell so there's that.

Actually surprised by the results. I forget what the Texas Cares study said as for infections back a couple of months ago. I think it was about 25% of people in their study? Thought by now we'd be pushing a majority having had it.

I figure that Surly features more people that are better able to isolate/WFH than the general population. I'd guess based on the poll that the broader population rate would be closer to 45-50% -- especially when you add in asymptomatic that didn't realize they got it.

On 1/17/2022 at 3:19 PM, Anastasis said:

What positions? For science and shit. 

69 prolly the safest route

No one in my family have had it to my knowledge. I would say the majority of our friends and some of their kids have had it and we have had several instances of being in contact with them within the susceptible period but I guess we have been lucky. Not so lucky with the Norovirus the week of Christmas however...

My 81 yo dad and his 83 yo wife just had it.   He is super fit still playing tennis several days a week and vaxed plus boosted. Initially mild symptoms and she got over it relatively quickly.  He wound up nauseous and unable to eat for a couple of days, so off to the hospital for fluids IV.  No respiratory issues but some brain fog.  What was interesting was they gave him heparin which apparently is very helpful in moderate cases.

Last important fact: he’s in Brazil so no access to monoclonal treatment and the hospital had no Covid beds open, so he went home the next morning.  Close call all around and I’m just glad it wasn’t more serious.  My brother has had both delta and omicron at this point but he didn’t GAF after getting vaccinated.  There’s still a lot of fucking around and finding out to go on before this is over.