I really hate this idea... octopus farms

texasdago

I've struggled for quite some time about eating octopus.  To begin, I really like the taste of octopus... a delicious part of Mexican and Mediterranean cuisine... same in Japan.  BUT... I've always struggled with the idea because octopus / octopi / octopussies (Bond... James Bond) are different than your run-of-the-mill dumb fish.  So, seeing this might push me to the "no more octopus" camp.  I hate this idea.

https://futurism.com/critics-horrified-by-worlds-first-octopus-farm 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Don't fuck with aliens.

Octopuses and their alien DNA

“Evidence of the role of extraterrestrial viruses in affecting terrestrial evolution has recently been plausibly implied in the gene and transcriptome sequencing of Cephalopods,” they explain in the study. “The genome of the Octopus shows a staggering level of complexity with 33 000 protein-coding genes more than is present in Homo sapiens.” And here’s the pièce de résistance: “The transformative genes leading from the consensus ancestral Nautilus […] to the common Cuttlefish […] to Squid […] to the common Octopus […] are not easily to be found in any pre-existing life form – it is plausible then to suggest they seem to be borrowed from a far distant ‘future’ in terms of terrestrial evolution, or more realistically from the cosmos at large.”

https://cordis.europa.eu/article/id/123479-trending-science-do-octopuses-come-from-outer-space

• Hook 'Em 1

Can we please, once and for all, get this straight--the plural of "octopus" is not "octopi."  That would imply that "octopus" comes from Latin.  It does not.  It is Greek.

If you want to use the foreign-language pluralization of the word because you think for some reason that borrowed words need to keep their original plural form, it's "octopodes."  Or we could just follow English-language rules, since it's now an English-language word, and stick with "octopuses."  But fucking "octopi" manages to sound both pretentious and ignorant at the same time.

By the way--this also goes for "hippopotami," which you will hear occasionally.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Can we please, once and for all, get this straight--the plural of "octopus" is not "octopi."  That would imply that "octopus" comes from Latin.  It does not.  It is Greek.

If you want to use the foreign-language pluralization of the word because you think for some reason that borrowed words need to keep their original plural form, it's "octopodes."  Or we could just follow English-language rules, since it's now an English-language word, and stick with "octopuses."  But fucking "octopi" manages to sound both pretentious and ignorant at the same time.

It’s “octopeese”. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

Calm down. Who peed in your Cheerii?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Put that many of em together, they might get some ideas. Then we find ourselves in the human farms.

Hot take: the octopi and whatever Cthulhu-esque space monsters they're descended from are just biding their time while humanity dutifully melts the ice caps and terraforms the planet for them. 

I also don't eat octopus because of how smart/cool they are. I know that pigs are also pretty smart and that I am a hypocrite because I have no qualms about eating them. 

Edit: should have read the whole thread before replying, as @Deej has already raised the alien possibility. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It’s “octopeese”. 

Pretty sure it’s octopussy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Sir, this is an Octopus Arby's.

Mmmmm, got it.  Okay, let's see.  Let me get 2 calamari 'n cheddars with extra ink..  And an order of curly tentacle fries.  And an RC Cola to drink.

Edited by Lobo

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

So is it Hippopotamodes? Because that sounds like a crapper.

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Octopussies?

43 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

I like to imagine worms having the same debate about us.....aren't we just free range humans living in their air farm as they wait for us to die and be buried?

Those are the plebe worms. But then there are the real go-getter worms that venture beyond the unyielding walls of your sphincter to relish in the treasures of that double meat, double cheese with grilled japs and onions that you just had for lunch. "Fortune favors the brave" is what these worms say.

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

An octopus thread on surly is rarified air.  Necessary inclusion. 

I never liked the taste or to eat Octopus anyways, but after watching this I was convinced they are alien plankton or barnacles that fell to earth from the bottom of an alien scout ship.

Edited by TurkeyChew
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

you read that book didn't you?  the soul of an octopus?  that was in the first few chapters, maybe first few pages. I used to eat octopus, loved the taste, but their intelligence level may be near that of a puppy. I just can't do it anymore.  I struggle with pork and beef that way too, but haven't pulled the trigger because, well pigs may be a filthy animal but pork tastes goooood.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, troph said:

you read that book didn't you?  the soul of an octopus?  that was in the first few chapters, maybe first few pages. I used to eat octopus, loved the taste, but their intelligence level may be near that of a puppy. I just can't do it anymore.  I struggle with pork and beef that way too, but haven't pulled the trigger because, well pigs may be a filthy animal but pork tastes goooood.

Yeah--it's been a while.  But it is a good book.

• Hook 'Em 1

Once, back in my trucking days, I hauled a load of frozen octopus from LA to NJ. You had to pay tax for travelling through Arkansas. When I got to the scale house near Memphis they flagged me in to pay. The State Trooper asked what I was hauling, I said octopus. He scratched his head for a minute then wrote O C T A, stopped, scratched his head some more, O C T I, head scratch... FISH! 

• Haha 2