Ukraine War

BehoId, The Underminer!

24 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

they also were chilling on the border for like a month and most of the soldiers had no idea what the fucking plan was. because there wasn’t really one. 

I wonder if Abbott is beginning to think turning Operation Lone Star into an invasion of Mexico would take some heat off of Putin?  

• Hook 'Em 1

#teamkira

We've been told for years now how corrupt Ukraine is.  But we keep seeing these politicians like Zelensky and Rudik.  We keep getting updates and reports from intelligent reporters.  Why are we not seeing the bad guys from Ukraine?  Who are their politicians who are supposedly carrying the water for those higher up corrupters?  Why aren't we seeing any of them exposed as supporters of the Russians?   Or are we just especially blessed with having more than our fair share of politicians willing to sell democracy down the river for 40 bags of rubles?  Are we that jaded, or too comfortable/complacent with our freedoms to realize how threatened our own democracy is?   I fear the latter, and those who fell asleep at the switch when it came to voting would rather lose the country than admit mistakes and correct the course.  Because pride, of course.   

I just hope watching Ukraine go through this wakes some folks up.   

Edited by pyrohornIII
  • Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

#teamkira

We've been told for years now how corrupt Ukraine is.  But we keep seeing these politicians like Zelensky and Rudik.  We keep getting updates and reports from intelligent reporters.  Why are we not seeing the bad guys from Ukraine?  Who are their politicians who are supposedly carrying the water for those higher up corrupters?  Why aren't we seeing any of them exposed as supporters of the Russians?   Or are we just especially blessed with having more than our fair share of politicians willing to sell democracy down the river for 40 bags of rubles?  Are we that jaded, or too comfortable/complacent with our freedoms to realize how threatened our own democracy is?   I fear the latter, and those who fell asleep at the switch when it came to voting would rather lose the country than admit mistakes and correct the course.  Because pride, of course.   

I just hope watching Ukraine go through this wakes some folks up.   

Ukraine was corrupt as hell up until Maida in 2014.  Manafort and his ilk helped make it happen hand in hand with Putin.  After Yanukovych's ouster, though, and the May elections, when the Ukraine was no longer a puppet for Putin, things have gotten a lot better.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Ukraine was corrupt as hell up until Maida in 2014.  Manafort and his ilk helped make it happen hand in hand with Putin.  After Yanukovych's ouster, though, and the May elections, when the Ukraine was no longer a puppet for Putin, things have gotten a lot better.  

Go Ahead Reaction GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Go Ahead Reaction GIF

The president prior to Zelensky was a puppet of Russia and was run out of UKR following a democratic vote. He stole hundreds of millions of dollars and absconded to Moscow, which has provided protection from him ever since. Zelensky resisted Giuliani's and Trump's and Putin's corruption efforts. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your gif, which seems to speak of your deep ignorance.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Chopper said:

The president prior to Zelensky was a puppet of Russia and was run out of UKR following a democratic vote. He stole hundreds of millions of dollars and absconded to Moscow, which has provided protection from him ever since. Zelensky resisted Giuliani's and Trump's and Putin's corruption efforts. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your gif, which seems to speak of your deep ignorance.

Yanukovych was two presidents prior to Zelensky. Petro Poroshenko served in between. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Chopper said:

nah, it was literally a "cool story bro" reaction. not sure how it furthers the discussion here, but thanks for the information, I guess. also, as others have pointed out, you're wrong on your timeline. might want to check your facts before calling others ignorant

so anyway, if we're done with our history lesson for the day, can we get back to current events?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I wonder how many emails Putin has gotten from Russian oligarchs requesting to meet on a rooftop or near an elevator shaft...

You've seen the tables Putin sits at.  No one is gonna get with 20 feet of him.  

And after the Ukrainians stated yesterday that Russians tipped off the assassination plot, you have to wonder if there is anyone that Putin can trust now.

10 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Yanukovych was two presidents prior to Zelensky. Petro Poroshenko served in between. 

Eh true, I forgot. I was team Yulia at the time. She helped get rid of Yankuyovich.

Longhorn_Fan68 - like I said maybe i misinterpreted your gif. We'll just agree it was a needlessly shitty one.

5 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

nah, it was literally a "cool story bro" reaction

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

And after the Ukrainians stated yesterday that Russians tipped off the assassination plot, you have to wonder if there is anyone that Putin can trust now.

My impression is it was tipped off because the Chechens taped a video and put it on twitter before they left Chechnya, bragging about their mission.

Anyone here know much about Ukraine? My grandfather's family is from near Mukachevo, which used to be known as Munkac. I can find that on a map but I can't find anything about the village they used to live in - I think it was known as Malvos. Anyway my great grandfather emigrated from there to the US in 1918 and the rest of the family joined him about 10 years later.

5 hours ago, Chopper said:

Anyone here know much about Ukraine? My grandfather's family is from near Mukachevo, which used to be known as Munkac. I can find that on a map but I can't find anything about the village they used to live in - I think it was known as Malvos. Anyway my great grandfather emigrated from there to the US in 1918 and the rest of the family joined him about 10 years later.

My family emigrated here in the 1920s after the Bolsheviks took over. They were from Crimea but my great grandfather was an officer and physician in the Czarist military and they moved to St. Petersburg. He received cross of St. George during WW1 (Russian Medal of Honor).  His godfather was the head of the Czarist military and said they needed to leave because he thought they were going to get killed by the Bolsheviks.  My great grandmother, great grandfather, and great grandfather's godfather went to Turkey. Everyone who stayed in their families got slaughter by the Bolsheviks. They joined the Turkish military and were given nice accommodations and similar rank as they had in the Czarist military. They left for the states when they realized the turks were killing the Christians.  My great grandfather then went to med school in Chicago and joined the US navy. I think he was a doctor in WW1, Bolshevik revolution, WW2, and Korea. He then retired to Biloxi and chaired the DNC there.  They wanted him to run for Mayor or for higher office but he wasn't interested. 

Edited by Tex48
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

So when they seize something like this, is it gone forever or do they get it back if they play nice?

I’d prefer they take that thing out into the North Atlantic and sink the thing on live TV. Let the other oligarchs decide just how long they would like to mess around before getting their own FAAFO moment.

• Hook 'Em 4

49 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

You've seen the tables Putin sits at.  No one is gonna get with 20 feet of him.  

It makes me feel good to know that that evil son of a bitch is going to he looking over his shoulders and wondering who he can trust for the rest of his life.

3 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I was today years old when I learned there was a legitimate news outlet called the Arctic today.  I thought it was a spoof paper made up for that John Laroquette clip in “Stripes”

I don’t know this man but he just became my favorite person in NASCAR.  When they come to Austin later the spring we’re all inviting him to Surly happy hour

31 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

$600M. I cannot fathom that kind of money. The good I could do with 1/100th of that that. Just blows my mind

We took some kind of "ogle the rich" excursion through the canals of Fort Lauderdale a while back.  They'd point out different docked yachts -- "Tim McGraw & Faith Hill", "Dolly Parton", whatever.  All were in the $50M+ range.

I couldn't help thinking that, were each boat a house, they could be built on land for 10% of that cost.  It was mind-boggling.