Ukraine War

BehoId, The Underminer!

9 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence or stupidity. Based on other happenings, this convoy is probably not an intentional decoy. They just ran out of gas because this has been a shitshow from Russia's end.

kuwait highway 80 holla?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f8/Demolished_vehicles_line_Highway_80_on_18_Apr_1991.jpg/1200px-Demolished_vehicles_line_Highway_80_on_18_Apr_1991.jpg

42 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I’m sorry but this is bullshit.  Putin was invading Ukraine because of his failure there in 2014. Perhaps we could have done more to deter Russia from invading, maybe.

Didn't we back a coup in 2014?

3 hours ago, Jhawkmvp said:

Fifteen percent of Israel speaks Russian currently. Many families there trace their origins back to Russia. So a sizeable minority of people there probably have Russian sympathies and are active in the Israeli government.

I fear a massive civilian bloodbath. When you rule by fear and strength showing weakness is basically a death sentence.

Jews did not fare a whole lot better in Russia than in Germany.  I doubt there is much sympathy for Russia today among Jews, despite their "heritage."

Israel is sending nonlethal aid to Ukraine,  and has condemned the invasion.  Something else is at work there.

55 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

You are not understanding what "victory" is.  The whole world has changed 180 degrees since WW II or whatever Putin thinks "victory  will be.

Putin/Russia may end up holding territory for a brief while, though I don't believe even that is true.  They are going to have to level/annhiliate Ukraine in order to "win"  but that victory is a chimera: they will eventually have to go home but only after showing the entire world how vacuous and immoral their leadership is.

I feel a tad bit of sadness for the ordinary Russian who's just trapped in this and unable to do anything to change it.  But that's just the way it goes. They put up with a madman for way too long, he ended up doing madman things, and  now they'll pay the price for that terrible choice.

I was considering a thread to track unintended consequences that work in our favor, aka our victories.

The world is focused on supporting Ukraine, as it should. There will be considerable discussion of the multitude of events that have gone against Putin and Russia.

It will start with Germany's complete 180 on their defense spending and Russian dependency, imo.

Edited by pacman

6 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

playing in the nhl is a privilege not a right.   send them back to the khl and tell them to call their oblast-congressperson-whatever their representative is in the duma.

we'll welcome them back with open arms after they assassinate their deranged leader.

Edited by Hagbard Celine

3 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Yesterday it was pointed out that assassinating world leaders is a no go for obvious reasons.

Given all of the political assassinations that have taken place in the US (no comment on who/why/etc.), I think we can make an exception for the only deranged madman on the planet with nukes.

yup, I'll allow it.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I’m sorry but this is bullshit.  Putin was invading Ukraine because of his failure there in 2014. Perhaps we could have done more to deter Russia from invading, maybe.

Once Russia started loading up on the border NATO could have asked Ukraine to load up there as a deterrent. Tell Putin any invasion in Ukraine is an attack on NATO forces. 

Once NATO did jack shit and Putin started the invasion it was too late. 

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

You are not understanding what "victory" is.  The whole world has changed 180 degrees since WW II or whatever Putin thinks "victory  will be.

Putin/Russia may end up holding territory for a brief while, though I don't believe even that is true.  They are going to have to level/annhiliate Ukraine in order to "win"  but that victory is a chimera: they will eventually have to go home but only after showing the entire world how vacuous and immoral their leadership is.

I feel a tad bit of sadness for the ordinary Russian who's just trapped in this and unable to do anything to change it.  But that's just the way it goes. They put up with a madman for way too long, he ended up doing madman things, and  now they'll pay the price for that terrible choice.

The ordinary Russian never had a choice. Just like none of us would have had a choice had the military sided with Trump on 1/6. 

31 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Given all of the political assassinations that have taken place in the US (no comment on who/why/etc.), I think we can make an exception for the only deranged madman on the planet with nukes.

yup, I'll allow it.

There's quite a few in this state and around the country exception should be made 

Edited by Hermanator

4 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

This was my thought as well.  Yesterday it was pointed out that assassinating world leaders is a no go for obvious reasons.  Well if one asshole tries it, then said asshole should be fair game.

I suppose that works since Saddam tried to kill Bush (dad) then Bush dropped some massive pigeon droppings on a Baghdad neighborhood.  3 houses were destroyed, no word on how many worthless Iraqi civilians died. 

https://www.baltimoresun.com/bal-te.war08apr08-story.html

The United States bombed a building in a residential neighborhood of Baghdad yesterday where Iraqi President Saddam Hussein, his two sons and senior members of his government were believed to be meeting, U.S. officials said last night.

Yesterday's strike, using four 2,000-pound, "bunker-buster" bombs dropped from a B-1 bomber, came at 3 p.m. Baghdad time.

Three adjoining homes were destroyed, neighbors said. All that was left of the houses was a heap of concrete, mangled iron, ruined furniture and clothes.

The attack left a crater several yards deep, and the force of the blast broke windows and doors 300 yards away. Three orange trees along the sidewalk were uprooted. Rescue workers were searching the rubble for victims. There were unconfirmed reports of numerous civilian casualties.

Edited by Make em eat Taco Bell

Improper use of reflexive pronouns, particularly "myself," is the number one grammatical mistake made by people trying to sound smart and it's not even close. 

Using "and I" instead of "me and" as the object of a sentence is second but trails by quite a bit. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Jews did not fare a whole lot better in Russia than in Germany.  I doubt there is much sympathy for Russia today among Jews, despite their "heritage."

Israel is sending nonlethal aid to Ukraine,  and has condemned the invasion.  Something else is at work there.

Maybe they are uncomfortable with bright lines about "occupying others' territory"?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Improper use of reflexive pronouns, particularly "myself," is the number one grammatical mistake made by people trying to sound smart and it's not even close. 

Using "and I" instead of "me and" as the object of a sentence is second but trails by quite a bit. 

Derp.

Edited by David Dennison
I no read good.

9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

"Fiddler on the Roof" was the first time I ever heard of progrom.

6 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

"Fiddler on the Roof" was the first time I ever heard of progrom.

To be fair, Jews fared better under the Soviet regime than the Russian empire, and I would suppose that Russian Jews in Israel emigrated from the Soviet Union, but many probably fled Russia to other parts of Europe before Israel.

And Jews did not fare well in Ukraine, either.

I'm sure there are a lot of German Jews in Israel too that have mixed feelings, at least, about their "homeland."

13 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

To be fair, Jews fared better under the Soviet regime than the Russian empire, and I would suppose that Russian Jews in Israel emigrated from the Soviet Union, but many probably fled Russia to other parts of Europe before Israel.

I'm sure there are a lot of German Jews in Israel too that have mixed feelings, at least, about their "homeland."

Yeah, because of the Cold War most Americans never learn what an absolute monster Nicholas II and pretty much all the other tsars were.

23 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

You dick!

edit: goddammit @WhatTheBuck got there first

I watched my DVD with the director’s (and Cameron Crowe’s) commentary a couple months ago. Sean Penn wanted to create an adversarial relationship with Ray Walston and in one take he said, “You old, red-faced motherfucker!” Ray complained to the director (Amy Heckerling), “You tell that young man that that is not appropriate!”

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Using "whomever" as a subject has to be near the top, too.

2 hours ago, Bullneck said:

He opens his speech with a whine about the denial of his own human right, freedom of movement. Poor baby can't fly to a meeting where nobody wants to listen to him because he's the face of murderous imperialism.

Had he been able to fly to the US, he likely would have dropped in on his old pal for some laughs like the good old days:

spacer.png

Maybe pick up some good gosip and national secrets, too.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

Red Cavalry is a good read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

He opens his speech with a whine about the denial of his own human right, freedom of movement. Poor baby can't fly to a meeting where nobody wants to listen to him because he's the face of murderous imperialism.

Had he been able to fly to the US, he likely would have dropped in on his old pal for some laughs like the good old days:

spacer.png

I cannot fathom how many national security breaches were made in that meeting.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

spacer.png

this is where we say both sides, da comrade?

A New White House Spokeswoman, An Old Photo, And A Message About Russian  Propaganda