Your favorite Gene Hackman performance

GhostOfTomJoad

7 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Was he good?  Yes, but he was pretty much the same character in every movie. 

I think he stays pretty well within his own boundaries but I disagree that he plays the same character in every movie. 

To answer the question - Birdcage or Tenenbaums. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Horn80 said:

Was he good?  Yes, but he was pretty much the same character in every movie. 

You need to get out more. Did you ever see Enemy of the State? Compare that to his role in The Firm. How about when he played Lex Luthor? What about his roles in The French Connection and Young Frankenstein?

That’s just a horrible take.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Same with Michael Caine. They made one movie together — A Bridge Too Far. 

The theory states that at any given time, one can find either a Michael Caine or Gene Hackman movie somewhere on television. This character sits on the couch watching TV for roughly 90% of the film until he stumbles upon his closing argument: “ A Bridge Too Far ”, which features both Hackman and Caine.

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Also, no one has mentioned his role as the murderous Senator Brice in No Way Out. 

I thought he was Sec. Of Defense?  

watch the two dinner scenes in Birdcage again.  One in the den and the other around the table.  It’s an absolute masterclass to watch a great actor who can do comedy well, playing off an ensemble cast of overwhelmingly hilarious actors/actresses.  Hackman threaded that needle as fine as anyone in Hollywood.  He didn’t go to big, he didn’t slink down, his discomfort shone through the lens but we laughed with him not at him.  But to bounce off Diane, azaria, robin, Nathan, and even the two kids was just effortlessly meticulous.  

he also took the “I’m doing one more job and then I’m out!” Trope and turned it on its head, without adding or removing a single thing from the script…just through body language.  Another masterclass in “hEist”

and of course, I loved him in almost all the roles listed above particularly Tenenbaums, Hoosiers, and the Conversation (Which spilled over into another great role in enemy of the state which wasn’t a great movie but Hackman carried it)

Edited by Lobo

33 minutes ago, Lou said:

Mississippi Burning

so many fantastic roles! but i think i'd go with this one if i had to choose. the character is so complex and Hackman absolutely nail each nuance, tone, etc.

He is that rare actor that could be a character actor or leading man with equal perfection.

i need to read his books...anybody?

On 2/28/2022 at 12:08 PM, 66BUFF said:

The theory states that at any given time, one can find either a Michael Caine or Gene Hackman movie somewhere on television. This character sits on the couch watching TV for roughly 90% of the film until he stumbles upon his closing argument: “ A Bridge Too Far ”, which features both Hackman and Caine.

Add Samuel L to that and I bet it's close to 100%.