2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The freshman class at OL for Texas in 2022 will be one of the highest performing groups at OL ever recruited. We will be shocked at how much more effective everything on offense is when Banks is starting at LT and Campbell is either alongside him at LG or on the other side at RG. People are going to shake their heads in disbelief at their lack of faith in what these guys and Flood can get done versus everything that existed before them on the roster. 

Seth Meyers Reaction GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

5 hours ago, Had Enough said:

That was me. only it wasn’t WR group. It was the starting 3.

But damn if I didn’t under-appreciate Marcus Washington.

Worthy is not as talented as Roy Williams, but he’s quite gifted. If you think Johnson or Thomas were/are more talented than Whittington, ok. But Johnson was the #1 ranked WR coming out of high school. And Thomas did average 22 catches and 3 TDs per year while here in route to being drafted in Round 7. Neyor is an unknown at this level, but he transferrred with the nfl in his eyes.

If the most talented group we can throw together includes a late round pick and a free agent, then it ain’t all that spectacular. If you don’t think this core group at least has the potential to exceed that, then more power to you. The NFL drafts on talent projection not production.

BJ Johnson was a huge bust

3 hours ago, Snacks said:

Watch the OL get pushed back... Watch outside rushers come free, then pull up so they're not crushing there QB. Even in that small clip, you could see we're going to be a run for your life offense... 

So basically, same?   Or should we celebrate their ability to make contact instead of the turf/air?  

Via FCB
I’m hearing Saturday's Orange-White Spring Game won’t be much of a game, but rather more of “a practice with situational scrimmage elements,” according to a source.
“There won’t be stats or even a score that’s kept,” the source said. “There’s not enough depth to split up teams.”
The reason for that is primarily the lack of depth on the offensive line, which has been further complicated by the high ankle sprain suffered by sophomore tackle Andrej Karic. He’ll end up missing the final seven of UT’s 15 spring practices.

So you’re saying we’re actually going to lose the spring game…

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

The coaches saying we aren’t splitting up teams and subjecting our QB’s to playing behind walk ons and expecting them to perform at a reasonable level where we can have actual takeaways shows more self awareness than many of the staffs we’ve had previously.

This is a ridiculous take. They've been running scrimmages every week and subjecting their QBs to the same terrible level of OL play all Spring. This is about the coaches not wanting fans to see how shitty our current OL is. I'm not sure how you twist that into giving them credit for having such a god awful OL in the Spring. The team is hampered trying to operate the offense because the OL is so bad right now, and that includes the first team OL where we have a second year G at LT and a guy who should be a senior in HS currently starting at G.

3 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Campbell and Banks will start the week after OU. 

There's no way it takes that long into the season.

Edited by Burt Macklin

22 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

2DVUokEu_bigger.jpg     Texas Football      @TexasFootball

Come meet the Horns! 🤘 ✍️ Texas Football autograph signing Saturday, April 23rd. 2-3 p.m.  South of Gate 1 on Bevo Blvd. presented by H-E-B Fans will receive the official 2022 Texas Football poster to be signed. Limit one per person. No outside items will be permitted.

Bijan reminds me of a young Lajon.

3826f8991b71a06a0d08b46f7b80b427.jpg

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The freshman class at OL for Texas in 2022 will be one of the highest performing groups at OL ever recruited. We will be shocked at how much more effective everything on offense is when Banks is starting at LT and Campbell is either alongside him at LG or on the other side at RG. People are going to shake their heads in disbelief at their lack of faith in what these guys and Flood can get done versus everything that existed before them on the roster. 

by when?

15 minutes ago, captcha said:

Bijan reminds me of a young Lajon.

3826f8991b71a06a0d08b46f7b80b427.jpg

Saw them at a small hole-in-the-wall joint a long time ago.  They came out about 15 minutes after playing and hung around the joint.  Got the setlist off the stage and got 4/5 of the band to sign (Lajon is in the green).  Drum stick is also signed on other side.

20220421_134356.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Ok so apparently Hookfin had a serious motorcycle injury and fractured his collarbone, arm, and had some broken ribs. Cross him off the list. High upside guy who is unlikely to contribute now.

https://www.hookem.com/story/sports/football/2021/12/02/texas-football-isaiah-hookfin-injured-motorcycle-accident/8844728002/

For someone that spends as much time around Texas message boards you really suck at knowing stuff. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

Yes. Rs because of the year sitting at OSU but true since he skipped his senior year of HS and was in this true freshman class growing up. 

But…

RS because his parents already redshirted him and age-wise he should have been Class of ‘21.

So we will go with Red Shirt Freshman.

14 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

LT Banks

LG Angilau

C Majors

RG Campbell

RT Conner

Yup, this is the most likely scenario.  Christian Jones has had 3 years to show he can be a capable player and it still has not clicked for him.  I also expect Hutson, Cam Williams, and Agbo to play.  Lots of people forget about Agbo.  He's a very intelligent player that is athletic and big.  He's a multi-sport athlete which normally is a good indicator for long term projections.  I expect Campbell and Banks to be day one starters with Hutson, Agbo, Cam Williams rotating in.  Those last 3 are already bigger than some of our starters as high schoolers.

2 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Yup, this is the most likely scenario.  Christian Jones has had 3 years to show he can be a capable player and it still has not clicked for him.  I also expect Hutson, Cam Williams, and Agbo to play.  Lots of people forget about Agbo.  He's a very intelligent player that is athletic and big.  He's a multi-sport athlete which normally is a good indicator for long term projections.  I expect Campbell and Banks to be day one starters with Hutson, Agbo, Cam Williams rotating in.  Those last 3 are already bigger than some of our starters as high schoolers.

AGBO TO STARTING CENTER! lol

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is about the coaches not wanting fans to see how shitty our current OL is.

ORRRR...maybe the coaches took a step back and said "Is it the most productive use of a spring game to split up 9 scholarship OL for a 100 plays and give Chad Wolf 50 snaps at RT?" They don't split up the roster for normal scrimmages during spring ball so not sure why you think they are trying hide some secret during the spring game by continuing to do the same.

The coaches don't give a rats ass what the fans think. If they did they would have brought in 10 transfer offensive lineman so @JFKFC can sleep at night.

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

ORRRR...maybe the coaches took a step back and said "Is it the most productive use of a spring game to split up 9 scholarship OL for a 100 plays and give Chad Wolf 50 snaps at RT?" They don't split up the roster for normal scrimmages during spring ball so not sure why you think they are trying hide some secret during the spring game by continuing to do the same.

The coaches don't give a rats ass what the fans think. If they did they would have brought in 10 transfer offensive lineman so @JFKFC can sleep at night.

They routinely run 1s v 2s in scrimmages, which is the same thing teams do for Spring Games, especially on the OL.  Teams don't regularly mix up OL starters for Spring Games. So it's really not any different than a scrimmage for the OL. This isn't some amazing sign for the coaching staff that they're aware enough to realize our 2 deep on the OL is too shitty to make running a traditional Spring Game worth it. 

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

3554D17E-D98C-452C-A1FE-3C7443DE4526.thumb.jpeg.dc665f20244582ba501f98679285d861.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

They routinely run 1s v 2s in scrimmages, which is the same thing teams do for Spring Games, especially on the OL.  Teams don't regularly mix up OL starters for Spring Games. So it's really not any different than a scrimmage for the OL. This isn't some amazing sign for the coaching staff that they're aware enough to realize our 2 deep on the OL is too shitty to make running a traditional Spring Game worth it. 

Are we violently agreeing here? 

If you run 1s vs 2s in the spring game, you are subjecting walk on OL’s to nearly half the snaps in the game when the second team offense is out there. How are the coaches going to evaluate any QB, RB, TE or WR on that unit when the play is over in 1 second.

When you just do a normal offense vs defense setup for 100 plays, you can mix and match guys individually instead of just having your first team OL and then your second team OL with no ability to sub for basically either unit.

So yes, I think it’s a good idea to make the spring game and productive as possible for all position groups. Trotting out a second team OL on the white team or whatever with 5 dudes who won’t be in the two deep in 4 months is pointless.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Why not get your best 5 on the field?

LT Banks

LG Angilau

C Campbell

RG Conner

RT Karic 

Someone with Campbell strength, athleticism, and footwork at that position really opens things up. 

It's more likely they'd play Angilau there if it's not Majors 

19 minutes ago, Fud said:

It's more likely they'd play Angilau there if it's not Majors 

That is true, but it is waste of Campbell's talent. He is twice the athlete that Angilau is. He may fit in at RT help get the best 5 on the field, but I think it should be tackle or center. 2 most important positions on an OL is LT and Center. You should be focusing on securing those 2. At least give me NEto at Center

Edited by Codaxx

5 minutes ago, D3zii said:

F2F61D83-7E2A-4AD2-BC0A-73C5B6877D2F.thumb.jpeg.ecf4307cc80e8a97d3cba8e084281a84.jpeg

Denzel Washington Reaction GIF

Well praise God 

Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/33763031/college-football-rankings-updated-way-too-early-top-25

ESPN "way too early" Top 25 CFB Rankings:

1. Bama

2. OSU

3. Georgia

4. Utah

5. A&M

6. ND

7. NC State

8. Michigan State

9. Michigan

10. Oklahoma State

11. Clemson

12. USC

13. Houston

14. Oklahoma

15. Pitt

16. Oregon

17. WF

18. Baylor

19. BYU

20. Arkansas

21. Ole Miss

22. Kentucky

23. Cincy

24. Tennessee

25. Iowa

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

That is true, but it is waste of Campbell's talent. He is twice the athlete that Angilau is. He may fit in at RT help get the best 5 on the field, but I think it should be tackle or center. 2 most important positions on an OL is LT and Center. You should be focusing on securing those 2. 

Sure, but despite the exception to the rule of Foster playing center at A&M last year, it's very difficult for a summer enrollee who's never played the position except for at one camp to be your starting center, especially when you're playing Bama week two. Angilau has repped center plenty in practice over the years and knows the offense and all of the protections and adjustments, which is the most important aspect of this aside from having clean snaps each time 

7 minutes ago, D3zii said:

F2F61D83-7E2A-4AD2-BC0A-73C5B6877D2F.thumb.jpeg.ecf4307cc80e8a97d3cba8e084281a84.jpeg

Denzel Washington Reaction GIF

Well praise God 

I remember someone did an analysis of years where we were ranked high on FPI but low (or not present) on the human-evaluated preseason ranking and I think 88% of the time we had a 9 win or higher season. This gives me hope.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Snacks said:

Watch the OL get pushed back... Watch outside rushers come free, then pull up so they're not crushing there QB. Even in that small clip, you could see we're going to be a run for your life offense... 

But there's hope. At the 21 second mark Logan Parr displays technique that implies Flood might be figuring out the Big 12 (bear hug at contact). You know, just in time to leave.

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

Sure, but despite the exception to the rule of Foster playing center at A&M last year, it's very difficult for a summer enrollee who's never played the position except for at one camp to be your starting center, especially when you're playing Bama week two. Angilau has repped center plenty in practice over the years and knows the offense and all of the protections and adjustments, which is the most important aspect of this aside from having clean snaps each time 

Gotta think that either Cam or Campbell is an upgrade at guard. I know we’ve always been pretty hesitant to run counters because we just don’t have the athleticism there - this would definitely help there and on inside zone. Although we still need an upgrade at center for inside zone to work as well as Sark wants it to (or as wel as it worked for him at Bama).

Edited by Octavian

1 minute ago, Fud said:

I wont argue that and I dont think he would start week 1. I would like to see Texas get some talent in a key position on the OL. Texas barely even recruits the position. Pick up a center every 3/4 years and that is that. It has been on of the most overlooked positions in the program and it is really annoying. 

• Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Fud said:

Texas has taken plenty of potential centers in recent classes 

I cant think of many to be  honest. Sure I am forgetting some, but I dont recall a lot. Not counting guys liek Ghirmai that moved over after they couldnt add weight. 

Edited by Codaxx

20 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

That is true, but it is waste of Campbell's talent. He is twice the athlete that Angilau is. He may fit in at RT help get the best 5 on the field, but I think it should be tackle or center. 2 most important positions on an OL is LT and Center. You should be focusing on securing those 2. At least give me NEto at Center

Campbell is left handed. That is the end of the your Campbell to Center fan fiction. Campbell was reportedly told by Flood that he would get a shot at tackle. He will certainly be one of the best athletes on the line. 

An interesting and pretty promising lineup out of the gate next year might look something like:

LT Banks

LG Jones

C Angilau

RG Conner

RT Campbell

2nd Team would then look something like:

LT Karic

LG Agbo

C Majors

RG Williams

RT Garth/Neto

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic