Ok, we need an Oscar thread after that Will Smith/Chris Rock moment

BrickHorn

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

There are plenty of rules of thumb that are flat out wrong.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The actual rule of thumb was English law, was it not?

Thanks for sending me down an interesting worm hole

I'm not a grammarian, but I do think the period belongs inside the quote. I've written different types of things for publishing and have never been corrected on it. But I'll be the Chris Rock in this situation, take the slap, and move on. 

Really sad about Will losing a Netflix gig. Such are the wages of outrageous behavior and shamefully tardy heartfelt apologies. I suppose he can devote more of his time to being a vessel of love and protecting those who are unaware of their need for protection.

Neg repped by @4doorsMoreWhores for any Amy Schumer dig?  My god man, there is no world in which you're an Amy Schumer fan.  I always enjoy your weekend-long neg rep sprees, but you neg repped my poking fun at Amy Schumer at all people?  I don't mind the -points, but I gotta ask...why that post?  She's everything you hate about America.  I am wildly curious now.  What's the beef dude?  

By no known definition would that varmint be considered a "man".

Why because he is slightly built and lean? He is a good actor, funny and takes on a variety of roles where he can carry the show, or be a minor player.

Or are you such a man’s man that you care about what other men wear?

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Thanks for sending me down an interesting worm hole

I'm not a grammarian, but I do think the period belongs inside the quote. I've written different types of things for publishing and have never been corrected on it. But I'll be the Chris Rock in this situation, take the slap, and move on. 

Really sad about Will losing a Netflix gig. Such are the wages of outrageous behavior and shamefully tardy heartfelt apologies. I suppose he can devote more of his time to being a vessel of love and protecting those who are unaware of their need for protection.

I was always taught if the last word within a quoted sentence or phrase ends the sentence then the period goes inside the closing quote. In this case we have what is now known as scare quotes which the before mentioned rule does not apply. 

19 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I was always taught if the last word within a quoted sentence or phrase ends the sentence then the period goes inside the closing quote. In this case we have what is now known as scare quotes which the before mentioned rule does not apply. 

Can you cite that? Not being a dick, I really want to know what is proper English. Thanks.

It's a function of which style you're required to follow (APA, Chicago, MLA, etc.) and they all have different rules. Surly has no official/declared Style Guide as far as I can tell, so whatever type of grammar nazism you're trying to enforce has no official context here.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t think anybody was actually trying to enforce a particular writing style.  Seemed like we were all having a goof as evidenced by citing John Oates.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I don’t think anybody was actually trying to enforce a particular writing style.  Seemed like we were all having a goof as evidenced by citing John Oates.  

Yes. I was just goofing on the notion of somebody declaring someone not to be a man. I'm actually tolerant of punctuation and grammar gaffs. But conjugation? Over that, I fight!

20 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

Chris Rock was the one that got slapped by Slappy Will and only needed three days to “recover from the trauma” before launching his tour and Schumer, a witness just like everyone else, needs a month to manager her trauma.

I get that this was painful, particularly for those that were there that evening,  and people need time to process, but good lord what a raging pussy move to broadcast that.  You can take that month off without letting the world know and tell us about it, as Rock eventually will as well, after you heal.

DJ Jazzy Jeff was so rattled he had to take 28 years off.

14 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

This has probably been mentioned previously, but weren’t there a bunch of bald jokes made on fresh prince by will and others towards uncle Phil?

See, that's different. Because reasons. And men with alopecia is funny!

It's like when Will Smith criticized Eminem for having to swear on his albums, then released Bad Boys 2 the same year, which contained a scene where every third word was "mother fucker." One's music and one's Hollywood...totally different!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2022 at 8:40 AM, Capt. Squints said:

By no known definition would that varmint be considered a "man".

You know how many females want to fuck that guy? A lot. I’d say that qualifies you as manly if that’s the case. That’s like ingrained in human DNA, attract the opposite sex. And he’s achieving that. 

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

You know how many females want to fuck that guy? A lot. I’d say that qualifies you as manly if that’s the case. That’s like ingrained in human DNA, attract the opposite sex. And he’s achieving that. 

You do have a point. So if that's the case, we'll take him, but we don't want the Irish.

Fairly weak and disappointing comment from Denzel Washington from a T.D. Jakes conference. https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/03/entertainment/denzel-washington-will-smith-oscar-slap/index.html

"Who are we to condemn?" Washington asked. "I don't know all the ins and outs of the situation, but I know the only solution was prayer."

You actually can condemn people for their actions. Hell you can even drop it down a level to only condemn the action but not the person. And the only solution wasn't prayer, it was for Smith to show some immediate contrition, leave the venue and issue an apology. His PR team could have had a apology out before the limo got Will and family home.

Btu hey, when someone commits a murder, who are we to condemn, right Denzel. We don't know the ins and outs so maybe it wasn't a bad thing.  Weak, Denzel.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Fairly weak and disappointing comment from Denzel Washington from a T.D. Jakes conference. https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/03/entertainment/denzel-washington-will-smith-oscar-slap/index.html

You actually can condemn people for their actions. Hell you can even drop it down a level to only condemn the action but not the person. And the only solution wasn't prayer, it was for Smith to show some immediate contrition, leave the venue and issue an apology. His PR team could have had a apology out before the limo got Will and family home.

Btu hey, when someone commits a murder, who are we to condemn, right Denzel. We don't know the ins and outs so maybe it wasn't a bad thing.  Weak, Denzel.

My thoughts exactly.  I'm unimpressed.

52 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Very telling about Smith's narcissism when Denzel tells Smith that the devil comes for you when you're doing something right, and Smith hears that as the devil only comes for you when you're at the top.

Of course, I think it's bs to blame your poor behavior on an outside force. 

Well, it's definitely not inside forces giving it to his wife on the daily.  

49 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Very telling about Smith's narcissism when Denzel tells Smith that the devil comes for you when you're doing something right, and Smith hears that as the devil only comes for you when you're at the top.

Of course, I think it's bs to blame your poor behavior on an outside completely fictitious force. 

fify

• Hook 'Em 1

Bill Maher spent quite a bit of time on the topic this weekend...he was at the Vanity Fair after party and said he was talking to 'a very well respected and famous member of Hollywood who was AA'..

basically Bill said something along the lines of "i remarked how restrained and calm Chris Rock had reacted and he (the AA) said 'he had to be, bc in that moment he was 'carrying the weight of his race'."

so one...i thought he was talking about Denzel, but given that^ tepid statement i guess it was someone else...maybe Perry, or Sam Jackson... although I imagine Jackson saying something much colorful lol. was Idris Elba there?

anyways, whoever it was...interesting point i had not considered, bc why would i? #whiteprivilege lol. but i could see it, the idea if Rock had responded in kind, what kind of story would have been written.

but Rock is a comedian and wordsmith by trade... so if there were any 'responding in kind' it would have been him punching with words. probably right in the gut which, given Smith's obvious emotional and mental stress, would have resulted in the same (i.e. a basic brawl onstage).

which was the person's point, and how that would have undoubtedly (and wrongly) given license to the notion it reflected on the AA population as a whole.

Edited by mchookem