Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

39 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yes that would work. And to be honest if that's the way they do it then I think they should split the series. So for example Texas/Alabama could be

Texas @ Alabama 2022
Alabama @ Texas 2026
Texas @ Alabama 2030
Alabama @ Texas 2034

And so on. That would give players the chance to play every other team in the conference in their 4 years of eligibility.

Bama’s players go pro after 3 years……

Just now, UncleSonny said:

I guess this thread is as good as any for this, Billy keeps throwing a hissy fit about how we just aren't ready for the meat grinder that we are entering. Their joke schedule last year is a mirage, check the bowl results:

image.png.617c5516104e25bcc57ff85d97585740.png

Well...about that. The SEC was an impressive 7-2. Of course 2 of those wins were Alabama (lost 52-24). One of them was aggy over UNC. 3 of the SEC bowl wins were by teams a&m didn't even play (Georgia, Kentucky, Ole Miss). The ags did play both SEC programs who lost their bowl however (Florida lost by 35 to OU & Auburn lost by 16 to Northwestern). Those two also happen to represent their two most impressive regular season wins. 

That leaves 1 SEC team that won their bowl who the ags actually beat during the season: Miss St. They won an all-timer of an Armed Forces Bowl against Tulsa by 2 points.

TLDR: The closer you look at it, A&M's big coronation season becomes even more of a mirage. So thank you for pointing that out Billy.

butbutbut they didn't play any OOC games!  0-9 Vandy is still better than Texas!

Assholes

5 hours ago, Gidnik said:

Perhaps a little unrelated... in the link, on the statement, is the OU seal... What the hell is that guy doing? looks like he's waving away a fart.

23 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

The problem with ironically chanting "SEC!" is that it will just come across as sincere.

So we shouldn't do it.

For many, it will be sincere.  Over time that will grow among kids growing with it.  It needs to be nipped in the bud by Surly Elders.

1 hour ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Yeah - I don't get it.

Here are the current cross-over games:

Alabama-Tennessee

Auburn-UGA

LSU-Florida

Arkansas-Mizzou

A&M-South Carolina

Miss State-Kentucky

Ole Miss-Vandy

If Mizzou and Alabama/Auburn switch sides, three of those are kept, so the only ones you lose are:

LSU-Florida

A&M-South Carolina

Miss State-Kentucky

Ole Miss-Vandy

I can't imagine any of those are worth keeping, so the only question is whether the Mississippi schools and LSU need to play Alabama/Auburn.

Ole Miss-Vandy is one of the oldest rivalries in the south.  But then Ole Miss-Tennessee and Ole Miss-Georgia were big rivalries before divisions and they lost Georgia right away and Tennessee when they switched to a single rivalry instead of two (5-1-2 model instead of 5-2-1).  So I don't think they will do much for Ole Miss now.

1 hour ago, JJxvi said:

Tom Herman had a better record in his four years at Texas than Bobby Bowden's last 4 years at FSU.  I'm guessing that if Sark wins a national Title in his 4th season at Texas like Fisher did at FSU, then it wont be Herman getting the credit for it.

Sark will probably win it in year two, so we'll have to give Herman some credit.

43 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

We were pissed because when Mizzou started flirting with the Big 10, we arranged a deal with the Pac 10 that included aggy but aggy blew up the deal at the last minute. Nebraska took the Big 10 slot that Mizzou wanted. Colorado went to the Pac 10. All the remaining Big 12 schools agreed to commit to the BIg 12. The Big 12 even offered an extra share of revenue to UT, OU, and aggy to remain in the conference. UT and OU declined, aggy took it. aggy then secretly negotiated with SEC to join them.

In all the realignment escapades, we tried to include aggy. But they fucked up our chance to leave while making sure they had a way out.

Wrong.  KU was taking aggy's spot.  ESPN and Fox paid the Big 12 to keep the Pac 16 from happening.  They knew nobody watched the Pac 10.

• Hook 'Em 1

Obligatory fuck Bob Stoops, but he had an opinion piece published by The Oklahoman this afternoon.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/opinion/2021/07/27/bob-stoops-oklahoma-sec-decision-leave-big-12-southeastern-conference/5390626001/

There’s been extensive discussion in the state of Oklahoma about OU and Texas moving from the Big 12 to the Southeastern Conference. I believe this is a good and necessary move for the future of our school and football program. I disagree with any claims asserted that OU’s decision is “to the detriment of the State of Oklahoma,” and that OU made it without “engagement and transparency.”

Let’s set the record straight: OU’s move to the SEC is what’s best for Oklahoma. The reality is that conferences are now more important than ever and, with limited spots, the strongest conferences would not accept OU if we were to require OSU to join as well. By joining the SEC, we ensure the state’s flagship university will be represented nationally while protecting our rich football history for many years to come. To move forward in any other manner would be to the detriment of OU and the state of Oklahoma.

The advantages are many — greater financial opportunities, better exposure, stronger recruiting and increased competition. Playing in front of full, huge stadiums will be attractive to our players, recruits, and our supportive fans. OU will be competing at the highest level of college football, which is exactly where we should be. I can’t wait for SEC programs to face our teams and our fans — I think both are the best in the country.

The prospect of moving to the SEC also excites me for our fans. Not only will the move energize our fanbase and provide great trips for road games to new venues, but the city of Norman stands to win as well. SEC fans loyally travel with their teams. Many fans from the SEC have never been to Norman and they’ll be eager to make the trip and experience an OU football weekend. Tickets will be in high demand and OU, Norman, and all of Oklahoma will reap the benefits.

Change is always hard. Moving to a more competitive league is unnerving to some. OU and OSU have a history of being in the same conference — I understand that. Of course, OU and OSU should work together when they can for the betterment of our state, but there are times when that is not possible (I don’t recall sharing my game plan with Coach Gundy every year). The reality is, in today’s world, conference realignment doesn’t allow for it.

With this move, OU is taking control of its own destiny. And all Oklahomans — no matter who they root for — can trust that when the state’s flagship university makes a decision, it always puts Oklahoma’s interests first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Rage+1 1

33 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Ladies and gentlemen, the new narrative: Texas is whining, not A&M. Texas A&M did this first with the same impact if not greater impact. Smug self deception and lying. Have you seen our honor code? It's one of our traditions! WHOOP!

In short: you didn't see what you saw. We're the real university of Texas: It's That's another tradition just like not caring about tu.

i mean the thing is LITERALLY EVERYBODY IN THE ENTIRE COLLEGE FOOTBALL WORLD HAS BEEN LAUGHING AT THEM FOR 5 STRAIGHT DAYS lol

their gaslighting has no gas 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Most Texas fans I know didn't care that they left, just angered that they insisted on saying it was all Texas' fault.  Their temper tantrum and attempts to drag Texas though the mud to justify THEIR "100-year decision" are why Texas fans were angered and/or annoyed by them.

This.  We were pissed at the BS aggy spewed as they ran for the door, but we didn't miss them one bit once they were gone.

3 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Obligatory fuck Bob Stoops, but he had an opinion piece published by The Oklahoman this afternoon.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/opinion/2021/07/27/bob-stoops-oklahoma-sec-decision-leave-big-12-southeastern-conference/5390626001/

There’s been extensive discussion in the state of Oklahoma about OU and Texas moving from the Big 12 to the Southeastern Conference. I believe this is a good and necessary move for the future of our school and football program. I disagree with any claims asserted that OU’s decision is “to the detriment of the State of Oklahoma,” and that OU made it without “engagement and transparency.”

Let’s set the record straight: OU’s move to the SEC is what’s best for Oklahoma. The reality is that conferences are now more important than ever and, with limited spots, the strongest conferences would not accept OU if we were to require OSU to join as well. By joining the SEC, we ensure the state’s flagship university will be represented nationally while protecting our rich football history for many years to come. To move forward in any other manner would be to the detriment of OU and the state of Oklahoma.

The advantages are many — greater financial opportunities, better exposure, stronger recruiting and increased competition. Playing in front of full, huge stadiums will be attractive to our players, recruits, and our supportive fans. OU will be competing at the highest level of college football, which is exactly where we should be. I can’t wait for SEC programs to face our teams and our fans — I think both are the best in the country.

The prospect of moving to the SEC also excites me for our fans. Not only will the move energize our fanbase and provide great trips for road games to new venues, but the city of Norman stands to win as well. SEC fans loyally travel with their teams. Many fans from the SEC have never been to Norman and they’ll be eager to make the trip and experience an OU football weekend. Tickets will be in high demand and OU, Norman, and all of Oklahoma will reap the benefits.

Change is always hard. Moving to a more competitive league is unnerving to some. OU and OSU have a history of being in the same conference — I understand that. Of course, OU and OSU should work together when they can for the betterment of our state, but there are times when that is not possible (I don’t recall sharing my game plan with Coach Gundy every year). The reality is, in today’s world, conference realignment doesn’t allow for it.

With this move, OU is taking control of its own destiny. And all Oklahomans — no matter who they root for — can trust that when the state’s flagship university makes a decision, it always puts Oklahoma’s interests first.

Amazing he could write that many words with so many dicks in his mouth

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Signed "bag of dicks"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Breaking with Baylor is like using a bidet to rid yourself of a pollutant.

Honestly, outside of the aggy tears and the clear boost that we will receive on all fronts, this is the single biggest reason why I am excited for this move. Baylor is the university of little finger. Providing zero value while trying to manipulate and control it's way into relevance. Fuck that tiny, felonious, bullshit nothing of a school and I hope they find themselves in the cellar of the Sunbelt for the next 50 years. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

This.  We were pissed at the BS aggy spewed as they ran for the door, but we didn't miss them one bit once they were gone.

try telling that to waco and lubbock, who because of a&m's departure lost their cityhood and had to become unincorporated territories.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

There are few bigger T-shirt schools in America than the University of Texas; whereas A&M has created a level of solidarity and community on the strength of its alums that is virtually unseen by other every big university in the country, UT has both its exes, and a legion of fans and supporters who never attended that university.

This is one of the biggest bullshit myths around.  Spend a few days in East Texas and you'll see a shitload of maroon shirts worn by people who have never set foot in a college classroom.  A lot of Longhorn fans and a lot of aggy fans never went to those respective schools.  I'm sure you can say that about a good number of Alabama and Auburn fans.  And LSU fans.  "T-shirt" fans are not unique to Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

This is one of the biggest bullshit myths around.  Spend a few days in East Texas and you'll see a shitload of maroon shirts worn by people who have never set foot in a college classroom.  A lot of Longhorn fans and a lot of aggy fans never went to those respective schools.  I'm sure you can say that about a good number of Alabama and Auburn fans.  And LSU fans.  "T-shirt" fans are not unique to Texas. 

you know who has "t-shirt fans"?  teams that are constantly winning. 

you can't argue we have the most t-shirt fans in college football then turn around and call us irrelevant for over a decade.  pick a fucking lane, aggy.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Legit.

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

100%.  JFC, spend some time up north and count the number of Notre Dame bandwagon riders.  Or coon-ass cajuns and their LSU gear.  Big, prominent schools have large fanbases. No shit agroids.  Water is wet.

Change is always hard. Moving to a more competitive league is unnerving to some. OU and OSU have a history of being in the same conference — I understand that. Of course, OU and OSU should work together when they can for the betterment of our state, but there are times when that is not possible (I don’t recall sharing my bag of dicks with Coach Gundy every year). The reality is, in today’s world, conference realignment doesn’t allow for it.

Original text of Stoops' opinion piece before the copy editor got a hold of it.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Ut is #1 in revenue. Who fucking cares if the people paying $29.99 went to our school. I just need to know if they want the receipt in the bag or if the would like me to hand it to them so I can ring up the next one.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2