Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

12 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I don't think you were the bad guy in the past, but you clearly are here.  The other Big 12 schools have been pretty supportive of Texas and OU since the last round of realignment and it's gotten us absolutely nowhere.  Gun to the head.

It's not the fans fault, and I'm not blaming any posters here obviously, but this shit is old and not one poster here has responded to my question as to why other blue bloods don't act this way.  Because there isn't a good answer; you know I'm right on that.

I just want this over fast.  I'm sure you guys do too.

Texas is the bad guy for doing what’s best for Texas. 

giphy.gif

As for your 2nd question, other conferences don’t do this because all of those conferences are superior to the Big 12.  You know it, and so does everyone else. 

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Most of the Big 12 has the same success level in the last 10-15 as that middle class.

On the field sure, but they don’t being nearly the ratings or national popularity. You know, the things that would benefit UT and OU. Especially for UT, we’re just propping up programs like Baylor and TCU so they can try to cannibalizes our recruiting and undercut us while they try to grow their program. 

regardless of recent on-field success.  there is no middle class in the Big 12, I.e. programs that help carry the conference, bring in revenue and raise its perception.  There’s not a single school in the Big 12 near a PSU or Wisconsin. So it really is just OU and UT carrying everyone else in the conference. Why would we agree to do that forever? What’s the benefit to either OU or UT? 

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I don't think you were the bad guy in the past, but you clearly are here.  The other Big 12 schools have been pretty supportive of Texas and OU since the last round of realignment and it's gotten us absolutely nowhere.  Gun to the head.

It's not the fans fault, and I'm not blaming any posters here obviously, but this shit is old and not one poster here has responded to my question as to why other blue bloods don't act this way.  Because there isn't a good answer; you know I'm right on that.

I just want this over fast.  I'm sure you guys do too.

Again, because they’re in better conferences where conference mates actually bring in some of their own ratings and national prestige. Being in the Big 12 is absolutely hurting OU and UT and that’s why they want to leave.
It’s unfortunate and I hope ISU gets into the Big Ten, but super conferences have been coming for a while and with the Big 12 rights expiring first, OU and UT were always going to be the first dominoes to fall. 

• Hook 'Em 4

I have had a day to absorb this and here’s where I come down.  I have hated the conference Texas was in since long before I was in college. First the SWC and all of its nastiness and underhanded behavior of my youth evolved to the kind of irrelevance that folks in the places like the American worry about. Then the Big8 invites us, and that got turned into a political nightmare where Baylor’s and Tech’s maneuvers almost killed it.

The next decade was full of animosity caused by most of the Big8 feeling like they had thrown the Texas schools a lifeline, while the Texas schools felt like exactly the opposite had happened due to the huge market expansion they represented. Then Nebraska, Colorado and aggy all left and we were left with late SWC 2.0 - albeit somewhat worse because Texas couldn’t figure out how to win it while OU used it to propel itself to championship after playoff the results showed it to be unqualified for. 

So despite my misgivings this will be different from that.  So I will hate it for a different reason. That’s something. I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

I’ve wanted out of this conference ever since your coach’s buddies with whistles fixed the game against Charlie Strong.

Don’t bite the hand that feeds you. Or, in other words, “fuck around and find out.”

I’d be lying if I didn’t admit some schadenfreude for the suffering of Okey Steak, TCU, and, most importantly, Baylor. I feel kind of bad for Iowa state, tech (they’re kind of our trashy, fun cousin), and the Kansas schools.

Okie State also has yet to come to terms T Boone isn’t around to write big checks anymore.   Certainly he set up an endowment that will feed Okie State a few bucks for years to come.  But nothing will take the place of personal influence he had and of course a source to tap in for more cash as the dynamics change like they have just in the last few weeks with NIL.   And now with the BIG 12 losing its largest money makers. 

Edited by Nueces River Rat

I'm just glad we've finally dispelled the notion that our conference affiliation should be about academics and not football. It should absolutely be about football and that's the SEC, not the Big 10, Pac 12 (I will miss you California road games), or the ACC. Football is about regionality and rivalries. We get 2 of those rivals back instantly if we move to the SEC. We gain a new one with LSU. 

This is the main reason I can get behind it. OU, Arkansas, LSU, and yes, aggy, on the schedule every year. That’s a solid core of hatred. We’ll still have some unexciting home schedules though

There will be years where it’s Rice, UTSA, LSU, Mizzou, Ole Miss, Kentucky or some shit.

15 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Agreed.  I've blasted all of them, many times.

And now you're basically doing the same.

I empathize w/ your anger and frustration; I truly do.  But, dude, the cfb world is going through titanic changes and if Texas is to keep its blue blood status we're either going to have to go independent or get better conference mates (we have a shit-ton of work to do internally to achieve this, as well...obviously).

As has been said, the only two players I feel badly for, if this happens, are ISU and OSU.  I really like playing both programs.

Hope it works out for you boys in the B10.  I'd really like to see ISU take its frustration out on a pussy UNL program on a yearly basis.  That would be sweet. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It's not your job to "save" the conference.  But why and the hell couldn't you guys and OU just act like every other blue blood?

Ohio State and Michigan would make more $ joining the SEC.  Clemson and Florida State would too.  None of them would remotely entertain the idea.

Maybe something better will materialize, and whatever comes, we won't be under your sword of Damocles.  Even if it's some quieter, lesser existence, it will be better than a gun to our head 24/7.

What stronger conference is out there for Ohio State and Michigan that already has historic rivals as members + a more logical geographic footprint?  

• Hook 'Em 2

It feels like we can't let the message get this far and this public if it's not happening.

The urban fiasco was one thing, but imagine going back to the big 12, life as usual after this story. The recruiting impact alone would be devastating. If we think sec teams are raiding Texas now, imagine the negative recruiting if we very publicly requested to join and it goes sideways.

I know this is really all about $, but in my mind, the real benefit is recruiting. Prior to aggy joining the sec, we could somewhat keep all but bama and Georgia out of the state. Now the situation has escalated and we're not slowing it down while in the big 12. The best answer is to cut off the "come play in the best league" negative recruiting tactic by becoming a part of that league. Bama and Georgia will still be able to sell their brands, but that will always be there. It's teams like aggy who have been making a living off of this narrative in Texas who legitimately have no counter punch.

I have no specific love for the sec, but the big 12 seems to loathe Texas despite being 50% of what holds the conference together. Either way, a meaningful change of some kind has to happen after this. We can't just go back to the same big 12 following this story, just as we couldn't stick with Herman after the urban news cycle. I think the sec is the best option for us, so here's hoping this happens.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I’m sure you’ll get all the calls in the sec, and everyone will do whatever Texas says. I mean, “You’re Texas,” all will bow down.

There’s a difference between getting calls and having games fixed against your blue bloods. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

This is the main reason I can get behind it. OU, Arkansas, LSU, and yes, aggy, on the schedule every year. That’s a solid core of hatred. We’ll still have some unexciting home schedules though

There will be years where it’s Rice, UTSA, LSU, Mizzou, Ole Miss, Kentucky or some shit.

I really hope we keep our non conference schedule as we have it set up now for future years.   I don’t want us to be playing the Tarletons, ACU, UIWs etc like aggy will be doing in future years.  Find away to keep UTSAs and ULs which are up and coming programs on there along with a PAC12, Big10 or ACC and throw in a Mountain West or Conference USA 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You know what?  We will get plenty of calls in the SEC. they corruptly protest their helmet schools and the higher ranked team or “story” does get calls. It’s one reason I don’t like the SEC. 

but, the whistles against Texas by limp dicked aggy over the years, especially the most horrific fuck job in 2 decades perpetuated against Charlie Strong in the OSU game were so fucking mind meltingly bad that it should have been a cause bellis against the conference that very day. 
the Big 12 relied upon UT for its existence for 2 decades, resented that and treated us like shit. 
I like y’all but fuck- on some level fuck around and find out happens. 

the '15 oSu game was 10x worse than anything i've ever seen in the secX3

tech, baylor, tcu, oSu, ku, ksu, isu, if you want to blame big evil texas, go ahead, but watch that game first, then try to blame big evil texas for your fate

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Let's all get something straight here, It wouldn't matter if Texas did everything right all the time they would still be the "bad guy" to all the fans of other teams in the conference so I don't give two fucks about what they think about Texas wanting to move.

Of course parasites will be pissed when you remove the host. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I don't know why Missouri, Arkie and aggy would approve it, even though I know they all wouldn't be on the schedule.  It hurts their recruiting.  

7 minutes ago, cyatheart said:

Cyclone fan living in Austin here.  For me this is brutal, no Clones in Texas anymore.  Was looking forward to watching them with my sons as they grew up.  Now we will have Tulsa rolling into Ames, can't even watch it here.

I don't blame Texas or OU, not their fault.  (I do hate Nebraska and Aggy though.)  It's really bad for ISU though (and the other orphans).  We did everything we could with the stadium upgrades and increased donations and throwing money at coaches.  The stadium is 65K now and probably was going to 70K, student undergrad is  30K now.   Now our TV revenue probably goes from 40M to like AAC level or like 10M.  (Current AAC is like 7m).  So we can't pay the coach that got us to the top 10 (which is what OU and TX always said we had to do), can't pay the debt off, the enrollment will decline, the local economy gets devastated.  Our best recruiting class ever will all decommit.  Last time this happened it destroyed 2 classes.

We finally got to the top of the heap and had our guy locked up for 5 more years, and now it is over.

For us it can't be worse, this destroys Iowa State, and not just athletics, it destroys everything we struggled to do the last 25 years.    Not blaming anyone here for not realizing this since maybe you don't realize the dynamics in the state, but we will never, ever be in the Big 10.  It's not an option.

It's AAC for us or something like that.  I know you guys will do well in the SEC, will be rooting for the old Big 12 teams (except Aggy).

WVU shares your pain, except they invested prolly nothing.  

1 minute ago, cabowabo said:

Lol at Aggy tallying SEC votes on this. There is no way in hell the SEC would vote this down. What we really should do is make it a condition that the SEC boot out Aggy and Mizzou so OSU and Tech can come with us. That would pass too.

Agree because no way this would go public otherwise.  But still. 

4 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

I don't know why Missouri, Arkie and aggy would approve it, even though I know they all wouldn't be on the schedule.  It hurts their recruiting.  

Lol wut.

OU and UT are not battling Arky and Mizzou for recruits. It will not hurt their recruiting in the slightest. It will help them beat other non-SEC schools they actually compete with for recruits.  

Arky will have a much better chance at recruiting in Texas if Baylor or TCU fall out of the P5.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

I disagree on the Arkansas thought. I think Arkansas will welcome a renewal of the Texas rivalry and another chance to showcase their team in Texas. More games in Texas helps them and Missouri. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

Definitely agree on aggy, but it seems like a stronger conference presence in Texas stands to help arkie. They've never really recruited Texas that well since they've been in the sec, and this might potentially help them a bit.

They're not going to win many recruitments head to head with these schools, but if they're playing with Texas, aggy, and ou, they're more likely to win recruits who today are picking tcu, OSU, and tech because they want to play closer to home.

3 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Definitely agree on aggy, but it seems like a stronger conference presence in Texas stands to help arkie. They've never really recruited Texas that well since they've been in the sec, and this might potentially help them a bit.

They're not going to win many recruitments head to head with these schools, but if they're playing with Texas, aggy, and ou, they're more likely to win recruits who today are picking tcu, OSU, and tech because they want to play closer to home.

This for Arky.  They are already guaranteed a game in Texas every year (aggy in Jerryworld). They’d love to add another every other year to sell to recruits, and likely play at OU (North Dallas) in the years they don’t play in Austin. Wouldn’t shock me if they try to get the Texas game as a neutral site game at NRG to get 2 guaranteed games in Texas per year. 

25 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

There is no reason that the PAC-12 doesn’t talk to Texas and OU. After all once moves are in motion, options become limited. Bidding war?

I don't think there is a bidding war, I think the move is decided by both Texas/OU and it's the SEC.

22 minutes ago, morehornsepower said:

Either A&M is trying to kill this deal by leaking it, or...this deal is a complete fabrication, and A&M is pushing it so that we look bad when the SEC "doesn't want us".  Would sure love to see something official from the UT side...

They literally leaked it on purpose to try to blow it up, that is for sure. There is no guessing there or assuming.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I would be absolutely ecstatic if that happened.  I always preferred the Big 12 staying around.

I'd just take anything with playoff access that doesn't involve you guys and OU at this point.  I love Surly and your fanbase has always been good to me, but holy shit you're administrators are just god awful partners.  As are OU, Nebraska, and Aggy, but even if we end up in the same place as Nebraska, we all know they're just another peon.  We've always been a peon, we just want a benevolent dictator that doesn't have their hand on the rug 24/7.

I think you end up better than expected.  Top of a B12 hill or in the B10.  Either way its better.   

If Texas is in the west playing arky, A&M, LSU, auburn, Bama on a regular basis I say fuck yeah and don’t look back. Non conference with old SWC/Big 12 foes and call it what it is, the highest possible entertainment value in CFB for the fans.  I’d feel terrible for Iowa state I grew to like them a lot, would miss oSu and assume Baylor and Tech would stay on the schedule.

19 minutes ago, cyatheart said:

Cyclone fan living in Austin here.  For me this is brutal, no Clones in Texas anymore.  Was looking forward to watching them with my sons as they grew up.  Now we will have Tulsa rolling into Ames, can't even watch it here.

I don't blame Texas or OU, not their fault.  (I do hate Nebraska and Aggy though.)  It's really bad for ISU though (and the other orphans).  We did everything we could with the stadium upgrades and increased donations and throwing money at coaches.  The stadium is 65K now and probably was going to 70K, student undergrad is  30K now.   Now our TV revenue probably goes from 40M to like AAC level or like 10M.  (Current AAC is like 7m).  So we can't pay the coach that got us to the top 10 (which is what OU and TX always said we had to do), can't pay the debt off, the enrollment will decline, the local economy gets devastated.  Our best recruiting class ever will all decommit.  Last time this happened it destroyed 2 classes.

We finally got to the top of the heap and had our guy locked up for 5 more years, and now it is over.

For us it can't be worse, this destroys Iowa State, and not just athletics, it destroys everything we struggled to do the last 25 years.    Not blaming anyone here for not realizing this since maybe you don't realize the dynamics in the state, but we will never, ever be in the Big 10.  It's not an option.

It's AAC for us or something like that.  I know you guys will do well in the SEC, will be rooting for the old Big 12 teams (except Aggy).

The flipside to this is that you are currently the 2nd best football team in the Big 12. There couldn't be a better time to make that claim, especially since OSU, KSU, TCU and Tech are all pretty down. I hope it pans out for you guys if this is the end of the line. It pisses me off to lose to the cyclones, but I gained a lot of respect for your fans and program over the last decade.

I hope the Big 10 did too.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Let's all get something straight here, It wouldn't matter if Texas did everything right all the time they would still be the "bad guy" to all the fans of other teams in the conference so I don't give two fucks about what they think about Texas wanting to move.

absolutely this.  we learned this lesson last time.   it doesn't matter what we do.  as was the case last time, we didn't do *anything* and misery, uncle tom, and aggy fabricated a BIG LIE narrative about Big Evil Texas.  they shit on us on the way out the door, tried to destroy what was left behind, and then blamed the LHN which was created after they left.

it doesn't matter what we do or say, we are going to be the object of scorn, so 100%, fuck 'em all.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Another thing I think some are discounting for why the SEC might be in favor of Texas and OU joining, the pandemic and what it did to revenues of the SEC schools. Add Texas and OU to get more money and that makes a nice dent in what you lost last year. I haven't checked lately but I believe the SEC was still behind the Big 10 in revenue the last time it was reported. Add Texas and OU and that's over. 

2 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Again, it still seems like if the SEC is your brand and you have won exactly jack shit in it, you're selling something others don't have.  Is this thought wrong? How does this not undermine that?  

I'm not against the move for Texas just because for sports, it has to be done.  And I don't see us competing with Missouri for players because aside from maybe one which is how many we lose to TCU, they're just not a recruiting battle.  But what are they going to sell?  Families are only going to see them play every other year so it's not that big a deal. It's great that Arkie can sell a rivalry but that hasn't existed in any of these recruits lifetime and do they care?  I don't even care.  I'm much more amped for LSU.  This is all a win for Texas which is why I would think they'd tap the brakes.  Except for more money.  

Bobby Burton

In case you didn’t notice, the bomb that college football needed exploded yesterday.

On the heels of the 9-0 Supreme Court decision announced two weeks ago allowing a scholarship sports player to earn money from his “Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL),” the intentions of Texas and Oklahoma to play ball in the SEC have been laid bare.

Why the SEC, why the change of heart from years back?

The major negative that most Texas power brokers saw with the SEC a decade ago - and what Mack Brown argued against for ever going to the SEC - has been all but eliminated because of the NIL. Mack also espoused the virtue of an easier path to the college football playoff, something some writers still seem to be too keen on.

As for the impact of the NIL, why should Texas fret about alleged or rumored under the table payouts to players when the most valuable payouts can now be made entirely above board?

But there is more than just one facet to this story.

The maneuverings of Texas Board of Regent chair Kevin Eltife will go down as legendary.

Not only did Eltife and Texas president Jay Hartzell have the foresight to begin their own process late last year, one they kept close to the vest and well before the outcome of the NIL ruling. But they also made the choice to look more deeply into some of the negative myths of the SEC and dig in further, which is something no previous administration had the will or wont to do.

The SEC was chosen by Eltife and Hartzell for multiple reasons, the key being geographical proximity for the travel of sports teams and Texas fans and the financial reward for the athletic department.

The ACC and Big 10 were both deemed viable but inferior choices.

As for the Big 12?

As a high-ranking official texted me yesterday, “it was getting boring around here.”

Make no mistake, the outreach of Texas and OU to the SEC is legitimate.

I have confirmed that up and down the list of Texas power brokers, those that are both official and unofficial.

What’s more, it’s interesting to me to see the unanimous approval of the action by those BMDs.

If Texas and OU head to the SEC, the conference will control all major media markets from the state of Texas to Florida.

As it stands right now, the SEC competes heavily in the two major Texas media markets of Dallas and Houston. But as long as Texas and OU remain in another conference, the SEC will never own those markets.

It’s quite different to own those markets, ones where college sports actually matter, from a pricing perspective. And that’s something Texas A&M must get its head around lest it explodes.

As for the Aggies, there is little doubt that they were the reason for the leak yesterday.

Brent Zwerneman of the Houston Chronicle first published the scoop. Brent has covered the Aggies for approximately 20 years and I have spoken with him on and off during that time.

While some on here may think Brent is an Aggie shill largely because he covers the Aggies, I absolutely don’t. I think he’s an excellent reporter and has been for decades. He just happens to be on the Aggie beat and has developed unparalleled sources in his time there.

That being said, there is little doubt that Zwerneman’s sources were from high up the food chain or he wouldn’t have run the story.

At A&M, it doesn’t get any higher than Chancellor John Sharp, a former state politician of some renown.

So what is the Texas take on this story becoming public yesterday?

“The Aggies engineered the release to create friction on the process…..which it does,” another high-ranking Texas source texted me yesterday.

The same source however also followed that with, “there is definite mutual interest (between Texas and the SEC).”

The timing of any such move is interesting. I’m not going to pretend to know all the ins and outs, because there are still more questions than answers

Whether that is about the Grant of Media Rights to the Big 12 through 2025 or notifying the Big 12 of Texas’ intention to move from the conference, the speed of these transactions can occur at a lightning pace or a snails.

One of Eric Nahlin’s key sources on this clearly believes things are moving faster, not slower.

There are so many aspects to this story that it’s hard to compile them all in one place or even digest them all in a single day.

But suffice to say, the game is afoot. The bomb has been dropped, and intentions have been made known.

What will the aftermath be?

I don’t know, but get ready for the ride because realignment is here whether you like it or not.

Not that I am or should be the final arbiter of such things. The Texas alumni and fan base will be.

But I for one applaud the move by Eltife and Hartzell. Let’s go.

Where do you stand?