Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

Thought the LHN contract is only through 2025? ESPN could just absorb those numbers into the SEC network numbers right? It’s not like LHN was a fox network. 

Lowell Galindo will need to find a new career after LHN goes bye bye

17 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Ohhhhh this is delicious….

“You knew disruption was coming,” says one college administrator. “At the end of the day, it’s all going to be about money.”

The report stunned Bjork, he says.

In fact, as The Houston Chronicle’s story published at about 2:40 p.m. local time, Bjork was speaking to two reporters, shooting the you-know-what about everything in college athletics (oddly enough, much of the conversation centered on the long-running feud between the Aggies and Longhorns—they haven’t played since A&M left the Big 12 in 2012).

In the middle of the conversation, Bjork’s phone buzzed and up flashed the caller ID: It was school president Katherine Banks.

“I’ve got to take this,” Bjork said, “it’s the boss.”

Banks, his own president, informed Bjork of the story in a 10-minute phone call that unfolded just before his head football coach, Jimbo Fisher, took the main stage for his appearance at SEC media days. 

Minutes later, the AD stepped into a dimly lit hallway here, smiled and delivered an unmistakable message to a group of reporters, jump starting one of the more bizarre days to ever transpire at this event.

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2021/07/22/texas-oklahoma-sec-inquiry-stuns-sec-texas-am?__twitter_impression=true

And we all know what Bjork said right after that…wow…

We do know how to piss in their wheaties

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

The Texas Legislature is deadlocked and impotent in a different pissing contest right now, as the Texas House of Representatives lacks a quorum to conduct business, and this stalemate/Mexican-standoff may last for MONTHS, so the Legislature can do nothing but twiddle their thumbs until that is resolved -- the *perfect* time to do this and have it DONE before the Legislature could possibly punish Texas and take away the PUF.  

How's that going to look when this UT/Mobilhoma to SEC deal was done months ago and the Legislature decides to retroactively feel repressed anger enough over this to yank the PUF rug out from under The University? I don't see it; the political cycles will have turned many times since the contracts were signed for any repercussions for Texas. 

Abbott would veto any PUF funding bill aggy/tech and other could send up even if they did.  Also aggy has been asking for a 50/50 split for decades and you think they’ll throw away all the arguments they been making for that money on athletics?

Yeah you’re probably right…

21 minutes ago, Orale said:

Considering that there's no real big dog in the SEC other than Saban, who will eventually retire, would Texas end up running the conference as the most valuable franchise by a factor of 2 or 3 compared to say Florida or Georgia?

Um... Saban didn't make Bama, chief. 

5 hours ago, dcar00 said:

I know.  they can't stop it but they could vote no if 1 or 2 others did as well.  face saving by the higher ups in front of the rectum crew that they didn't just lay down and take it from Big Brother.

how is looch going to pivot in the course of 24 hours to defend the reversal of policy at the ministry of information?

5 hours ago, UTEX_ME said:

aggy will def. vote yes because it gets Bama out of their division 

You’re kidding, right?  

There’s no way those idoits vote “yes” out of pure spite. They hate “tee-yewww” more than they love themselves.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

The first realignment thread post was made on 3/29/12 on the old shag. How do you realignment nerds feel about going nine years and not calling this move. 

It was absolutely called, along with just about every other conference alignment permutation. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Of course aggy thinks this will never happen. They think they have the votes to stop it. Their big argument is that Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Missouri and South Carolina would vote with them because they are trying to protect their home turf as well. What those dumbasses don’t understand is the opposite will happen. OU and Texas joining the SEC will actually take away the threat to those schools. 

Damn bros, that was pretty fucked up, I thought we had a pact? Well we still got your back if Louisville tries to join 

spacer.png

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Can someone give cliffs notes about this lege bullshittery that could be pulled? I’m confused how they’d have a say

Let’s just say that Ann Richards and Bob Bullock ain’t going to be climbing out of their graves to put the kibosh on it this time. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

If I’m the other 8 schools in the Big 12…I’m making calls to pretty much all the other conferences. I’m calling on the other 8 schools in the Big 12 and maybe form an alliance with at least one. I wouldn’t wait for UT/OU and whatever happens with SEC or try some attempt to add schools to the Big 12. I’d try to make moves to find a home and take as much of my fate into my own hands. Again JMO. If I am a donor and ex-student I’m blowing up the phones of my university and AD. Im blowing up their email and Twitter. Again, that’s just me. 

I think it’s going to be tough for the “Other 8” conference members.  The PAC 12 and Big 10 do not have to add more members.  Some people seem to think there will be a scramble for the other conferences to expand.  The Big 10 is not a charity organization and it would be hard for it to justify financially adding KU or ISU or any other Big 12 school.  How is the Big 10’s media contract going to grow by adding any of these schools.  

I guess it is possible for the PAC 12 could benefit by expanding to new markets in Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas or Iowa. But, it can’t be that great given that none except KU are flagship schools. It’s hard imagine that any combination of schools would expand the pie enough to benefit the other members of the PAC 12.  

I guess there is the option of replacing OU and UT to maintain the Big 12.  That conference would be lucky to get half the media payout the Big 12 currently gets.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Houtexjhawk said:

I think it’s going to be tough for the “Other 8” conference members.  

I think it'll happen because a break away seems inevitable and to make it work an even 64 makes it easy on everyone. The most valuable properties will be added and the least will figure it out.

4 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

I don't think this "gentleman's agreement" actually exists.  More blowhard LIES from little brother.

Besides, in order to have a "gentleman's agreement," the agreement must be entered into by gentlemen, and thus aggy will never qualify. 

This "gentlemen's agreement" is a myth.

FSU chose the ACC over the SEC when they were looking and UF wasn't going to stand in the way had they chose the SEC.