Greenville Super Regional: Texas @ East Carolina

Horny Bull

You know, if you have a big lumbering power hitting outfielder that you want to replace for defense in late innings it makes sense, as that can turn double into outs or singles pretty easily and often. 

but how much do you gain by replacing a competent 2b with one you think is a little better?  

And it’s one thing to do it for the last 2 innings if the guy just hit and isnt due up again without your offense being more productive, but when he’s due up next half inning?

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

I don’t know if I’ve seen as bad of roster management on this big of a stage.  

Pulling one of the best hitters in the country (who hit two bombs yesterday) for Daly as a defensive sub in the top half of the 9th with 1) only a one run lead, 2) our fucking bullpen and what was already a shootout game and 3) murphs spot due up in bottom half, is one of the dumbest things you will ever see.

Same thing Friday.  Refusing to lift Daly for EK the second a righty came in and allowing him to ground into a DP in the 6th, down by three runs with two runners on is fucking stupid.  Then to double down and immediately insert EK the next inning for DC (the guy with 3 bombs previous two games) and THEN take out Daly for a combination of O’Dowd’s bat (who admittedly pushed a run in) who literally has 2 plate appearances in the last month, and then putting Whitehead in the OF after not playing for over a month.  

Absolutely fucking awful and DP should have to answer for it.  Fuck the “oh we might make it to Omaha, DP is the guy” shit… this paired with his 3B coach bullshit is fucking awful. 

He's been terrible at 3rd base all year, but the non challenge with Hodo is beyond explanation. Especially considering he had a great view. 

17 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Pulling one of the best hitters in the country (who hit two bombs yesterday) for Daly as a defensive sub in the top half of the 9th with 1) only a one run lead, 2) our fucking bullpen and what was already a shootout game and 3) murphs spot due up in bottom half, is one of the dumbest things you will ever see.

Same thing Friday.  Refusing to lift Daly for EK the second a righty came in and allowing him to ground into a DP in the 6th, down by three runs with two runners on is fucking stupid.  Then to double down and immediately insert EK the next inning for DC (the guy with 3 bombs previous two games) and THEN take out Daly for a combination of O’Dowd’s bat (who admittedly pushed a run in) who literally has 2 plate appearances in the last month, and then putting Whitehead in the OF after not playing for over a month.  

Absolutely fucking awful and DP should have to answer for it.  Fuck the “oh we might make it to Omaha, DP is the guy” shit… this paired with his 3B coach bullshit is fucking awful. 

if we don't win today we must fire David Pierce...Harruumph!

26 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You know, if you have a big lumbering power hitting outfielder that you want to replace for defense in late innings it makes sense, as that can turn double into outs or singles pretty easily and often. 

but how much do you gain by replacing a competent 2b with one you think is a little better?  

And it’s one thing to do it for the last 2 innings if the guy just hit and isnt due up again without your offense being more productive, but when he’s due up next half inning?

Well, we were kicking the ball around in the infield for most of that game. Maybe if the defense had been rock solid all game (and all series) the conversation is a little different. Defense was letting us down so even a slight upgrade could be the difference. Hindsight is 20/20. You don’t make decisions out of anticipation of blowing a lead. You play to win and we had a 1 run lead with 3 outs to get. You play to get those 3 outs.

15 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Garrido pulled basically our entire line up for defensive subs in 2009 on a regular basis and it probably cost us game 1 in the national championship series.

But sure having a .250 hitter like Daly bat is the stupidest I have ever seen. I didn't like the move clearly, and said so at the time, but this kind of ridiculous hyperbole is laughable.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

if we don't win today we must fire David Pierce...Harruumph!

Not what I’m saying.  But if we do lose and I’m drunk in 8 hours I probably will be then. I’m well aware of his track record and I don’t know the candidate who is an obvious slam dunk replacement.  The two examples I listed above are just fucking AWFUL decisions that should not be made at this level.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Same thing Friday.  Refusing to lift Daly for EK the second a righty came in and allowing him to ground into a DP in the 6th, down by three runs with two runners on is fucking stupid.  Then to double down and immediately insert EK the next inning for DC (the guy with 3 bombs previous two games) and THEN take out Daly for a combination of O’Dowd’s bat (who admittedly pushed a run in) who literally has 2 plate appearances in the last month, and then putting Whitehead in the OF after not playing for over a month

Not pinch hitting Kennedy for Daly is mind boggling, but every other decision was fine. O’Dowd is a better hitter than Daly right now and got the run home. Pierce then felt like moving Stehly in from RF to 2B and putting Whitehead in RF was better than just leaving O’Dowd in. Whitehead never even batted in the game. He was just in there for defense.

Edit: and Campbell couldn’t hit water if he fell out of a boat on Friday. Yes, he’s been good of late but he had put together some awful at bats up to the point where he got PH for. 

Edited by Hookem2147

4 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Not what I’m saying.  But if we do lose and I’m drunk in 8 hours I probably will be then. I’m well aware of his track record and I don’t know the candidate who is an obvious slam dunk replacement.  The two examples I listed above are just fucking AWFUL decisions that should not be made at this level.  

I don't disagree with anything you are saying.  but I'm not going to stop calling for David Pierce to be fired...at least for the rest of this series.  

Edited by dcar00

21 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

I’m not sure I understand what having to “answer for it” entails. Is he going to get a write up in his performance review? Is he going to be knocked down a tier in his medical insurance coverage? To me the person is either the head coach or he’s fired. 

This year has felt like an underperforming season without a doubt. I don’t really get what happened to this pitching staff other than they seemed to fall apart as a collective. Nonetheless, for a coach to go there’s going to need to be some kind of implosion. Whatever this season is, it’s not that. So whatever our feelings on David Pierce are - and I’d say they’re mixed at best - he is the guy until the season ends up with worse results than what we’re going to see this year. 

Hell, maybe they go on and win the whole thing. That’s certainly not my expectation with this pitching staff, but it’s still technically a possibility. 

2 hours ago, RollingPresidential said:

Seems that not only the short outfield but the short fence also make the HR's more common. That ball that bounced off Hodo probably just hits the wall at the Disch. 

That ball that bounced off Hodo probably just clears the infield at the Disch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Garrido pulled basically our entire line up for defensive subs in 2009 on a regular basis and it probably cost us game 1 in the national championship series.
But sure having a .250 hitter like Daly bat is the stupidest I have ever seen. I didn't like the move clearly, and said so at the time, but this kind of ridiculous hyperbole is laughable.

I don’t remember the game 1 reference but pretty sure we pinch ran or maybe used a defensive replacement for Kevin Keyes in the 7th or 8th versus Boston College that year. We proceeded to not score for the 18 or so innings. Who knows whether that would have made a difference.

We will never know, but the chances Stehly hits into a double play were greater than Daly doing so. Who knows maybe Stehly bunts him over too. We won so it worked out. Pierce had a reasonable basis for his decision. And it actually worked out. That said, if he leaves Stehly in the game, that was reasonable too.

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

You're too kind....

2 hours ago, Barbacoa said:

He's been terrible at 3rd base all year, but the non challenge with Hodo is beyond explanation. Especially considering he had a great view. 

Not much of a view when he was double fisting that water bottle. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Don’t remember what CWS game it was but he pinch hit Moldenhauer(who had 2 homers that game) for a guy batting .176. “Great coach” my ass, his prime was clearly way behind him by then.