Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

If Quinn returning meant losing Arch then we'd make Quinn's decision for him. 

Yea that’s true. We’d give him a bunch of NIL to come back. 

Why does anyone think we would be pushing Quinn out for Arch? If Quinn comes back we are preseason top 5 if not top 2. Arch is going to be the backup as long as Quinn wants to play here. And that’s how it should be.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Matagorda said:

Going forward, I hope we see lots of five wide sets, since we dont have Brooks.  

it puts such a stress on the opposing defense, plays to our Offensive line’s strength of pass blocking and opens up the whole field for throwing. 

Rod Babers has been screaming for weeks about Texas going empty more. He said it's been giving teams a lot of problems but we don't do it often. Maybe that's coming. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, troph said:

we are probably saying the same thing. top 10 finish means make the playoffs, title run means semis or final game. QE and AM back to back should be one of the best back to back QB successions of all time for us. Obviously VY and CM were similar.

Gonna be awfully, awfully hard to ever top the Vince-Colt back-to-back.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, troph said:

except he plays for a minimum of two years. I highly, highly doubt Arch leaves after his RS soph year and only 1 year playing UNLESS he's VY junior year Colt junior/senior year dominate, meaning a title or a serious run for a title.  even then, I wouldn't be surprised to see him come back for a junior year.

QE - soph - top 10 finish

MM- transfers

QE - junior - title run ? QE goes pro.

AM - RS fresh - back up snaps, in 5-6 games at the end

AM - RS soph - starts with a good handle on the playbook (note we haven't had this situation since Colt's first year) - top 10 finish

AM - RS junior - title run. AM goes pro.

That's an optimistic but still realistic outcome here.

I like this scenario.  I'm all in with you!

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, C-Man said:

It wasn't just Vince-Colt.  It went:

• Major Applewhite:  1st Team All-Big 12 and a boat load of UT passing records
  • Chris Simms:  26-6 as a starter and a boat load of UT passing records 
  • Vince Young:  Davey O'Brien Award
  • Colt McCoy: Davey O'Brien Award

Not to mention Chance Mock with a 16-2 TD/INT ratio and a 148.7 QB Rating in 2003 splitting time with VY.  What a great string of QBs.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Rod Babers has been screaming for weeks about Texas going empty more. He said it's been giving teams a lot of problems but we don't do it often. Maybe that's coming. 

I don’t understand why it hasn’t been done more. Sure, when Malik was in, but it should have a been a staple with Ewers. At least if the WR talent everyone claims Texas has is there.

58 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

I don’t understand why it hasn’t been done more. Sure, when Malik was in, but it should have a been a staple with Ewers. At least if the WR talent everyone claims Texas has is there.

Because we have BIG HUMANS! Nah, but Sark has always been a run first guy. I wouldn't mind seeing us do more 11 personnel stuff with Jaydon Blue as the back. He's a hard guy to match up with since you can motion him out and have him run routes on a safety or a linebacker. He's like a smaller, less physical version of Rueben Owens. 

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

Not to mention Chance Mock with a 16-2 TD/INT ratio and a 148.7 QB Rating in 2003 splitting time with VY.  What a great string of QBs.

I like to forget ‘97 and add 1995 All-SWC, 2x Conference winning QB James Brown to your list but that might just be me. 

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Not everyone here understands the spread lol

Yes, Babers brought this up when discussing going empty a couple weeks ago. Ewers has actually been better protected going empty because teams only rush 2 or 3 guys because they're so afraid of our weapons on the perimeter. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm really not sure why we haven't gone to this more out of empty. 

When you put Mitchell and Worthy on the outside it's a mismatch nightmare with Cook in the slot. You run 5 or 6 go routes a game with Cook in the slot in this formation and it's going to be a mismatch almost every time. Or there will be a mismatch with Worthy and Mitchell outside if they double Cook. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

9 hours ago, AnotherLawyer said:

No kidding. The backup QB has been the most popular player on the team for at least a half century. I remember my dad and grandfather arguing about it.

Let's not be too hard on ourselves. Aggy puts us to shame when it comes to QB controversy. The Simms/Applewhite Debacle is SOP over there. 

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

And 04/05/08/09 were the good years out of 03-09. 7 years and 3 weren’t title contention years. Point is QBs need time to develop. QE would be an all American and heisman finalist next year IMO. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I'm really not sure why we haven't gone to this more out of empty. 

When you put Mitchell and Worthy on the outside it's a mismatch nightmare with Cook in the slot. You run 5 or 6 go routes a game with Cook in the slot in this formation and it's going to be a mismatch almost every time. Or there will be a mismatch with Worthy and Mitchell outside if they double Cook. 

Maybe cause we have the best RB in the nation?

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Maybe cause we have the best RB in the nation?

That is not a good argument.

Probably under 10% of passing attempts have come out of empty. Nobody is saying we shouldn't feed Brooks. The argument is that our passing attack would be more dangerous if we went empty more. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

12 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Arch isn't going anywhere you dumb mother fuckers.

My favorite is the Facebook click bait articles that quote no one and say arch manning transfer options narrowed to 3 schools. There is at least 3-4 per week now. They are all the same, no quotes just rando descriptions of decent programs that need a qb. 

• Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1

Ewers to the draft.

On the one hand, the best decision for Ewers’s long term development and earning potential is pretty clearly to return to school. Logically the story checks out. The wild card in this scenario for Texas is what the reaction is from the Manning camp and whether he would sit for another year.

On the other hand, Orangebloods. Of course I said that when they called Ewers starting last week. Maybe they’ve got a reliable source in the Ewers orbit. Suppose we’ll find out soon enough.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, HookEm said:

No offense to Major or Simms, they’re not even close to Vince and Colt, two of the best collegiate QB’s of all time.

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, C-Man said:

No offense to Major or Simms, they’re not even close to Vince and Colt, two of the best collegiate QB’s of all time.

Collegiately speaking, yes. But Simms would have had a better NFL career than Colt, IMO, had he not had his spleen ripped out during a game. I think he had what it took to be a very good NFL QB. He was really starting to come on when that happened. That 2005 game against the Redskins was something else. Chris was beginning to ball out.

• Hook 'Em 4

7 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

If you can't run block with your down 5, running more TEs gives you more surface area(gaps) to pop runs. Maybe that's it? Who knows what they are seeing in practice. 

11 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't know what the point is in stacking all this WR talent if we're just going to keep half of them on the bench. 

I think Sark sometimes gets so wrapped up in what he WANTS to do, that he forgets the things we CAN do if they don't fall into his previous ideas of what he wants to do. 

Also, probably a little bit of coaching ego for running HIS system. Seems to be a running theme with a lot of coaches. This is the same guy that witnessed VY in person and still doesn't believe in quarterbacks running. 

• Hook 'Em 4