2022-2023 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

17 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I am on a family group text and everybody is bitching about the cold weather. I was talking about how it's supposed to get down to 15 degrees or whatever in Austin. One of my nieces lives in Iowa and it's already 15 degrees at her place. My dad lives in Minnesota and it's ten below zero at his house at the moment. Then one of my other nieces dropped the bomb. She and her husband live outside of Galena, Alaska, which is in the Yukon. She just said "quit 'yer bitchin'!" and posted this photo, which she took at her house this morning. That's right. Minus 55 degrees without the wind chill. She said it's unlikely to get above zero for months and that right now there's just a little over three hours of "daylight." I feel kind of bad for complaining.

image_6483441.JPG

Tell her until she builds her house up there with the same lack of cold temp resistance they do in Texas she can shut the fuck up. 

It's the same shit with the driving. They're all "Texans don't know how to drive on ice". Yeah dip shit, nobody can drive on ice. It's fucking ice. Go ahead and cancel all your road salts and snow plowing the government does up there, get rid of your tire chains, and see how well you drive on ice. 

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

Same here.  Wrapped them in old towels.  No drip.  Made it just fine through the entire week of sub-freezing temps.  I did have power the entire time, and dripped interior faucets on external walls, along with leaving cabinet doors open under fixtures on exterior walls.

The one thing I would add is a trash bag or plastic tarp around the old towels if there is a decent chance of precipitation. You don't want wet, soon-to-be frozen towels wrapping around pipes. A trash bag should keep them somewhat dry.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, TXLNGHRN10 said:

It was 53 at 11:00 here in 78628 now it's 25
This is going to be fun. I bet HEB is a disaster right now

Yeah, it went from 52 to 28 in an hour flat in 78730.  

Also, the hourly forecast I saw had us hitting freezing around 4:00 to 5:00, but it happened closer to 1:00.  I'm wondering if they'll change the predicted overnight low downward, or if the front just arrived sooner?

5 hours ago, Anastasis said:

This one looks a good bit different than mine.  Mine is a horizontal job with three petcocks pointing up and one on the bottom side.  After turning off the main valve in, turning each one individually didn't do much, but when I opened them all up it gave up maybe a cup of water.

Mine is exactly like the one in the video.   When I opened the bottom petcock, it probably let out a 1/2 gallon or more of water.  But my backflow sits up off the ground 5 feet thanks to the elevation to  the front of my property.     Thought at first the bottom shut off valve was broken and wasn't completely shutting off the flow  and I was like oh crap what do I do now other than wrap the son of gun and hope for the best  or get ready to take it again  from the sprinkler system company.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

We went and did some Meals on Wheels delivery today. Told my 7 year old son that he needed to put on an undershirt under his Tshirt, wear his beanie gloves and big coat. He said nah dad. I thought about arguing with him but I thought it was better for him to experience wind chill first hand.

you-gon-learn-furious-styles.gif

Ok whatever.  I made him do every delivery he was absolutely miserable. He asked if he could stay in the truck.  Nope. I'm freezing.  And I just laughed and laughed and laughed. When we got home he asked me if he could take a hot shower and put his sweats on.

Mark Twain once said that a man who holds a cat by the tail learns a lesson he can learn in no other way.  Your boy did the equivalent today.

18 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Cleaned up leaves in my yard over the last few weekends.  Now every lazy asses leaves northwest of me are in my yard.  

Got to hand it to em I guess

Think About It GIF by Identity

Yeah, but on the other hand, every lazy ass to the southwest of you has a clean lawn. It's good be be neighborly.

14 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Is anybody gonna talk about the fact that this is like the 10th once-a-generation-storm since the turn of the century?

It's almost like the weather is broken or something.  Somebody should pay some scientists to look into it.

This isn’t once in a generation.  That’s complete bullshit.  Pretty regular shit in the historical record.  “Oh no’s!!! Gonna be really cold for 48 hours!!!!”   Fucking shit man 

Edited by Trey3216
  • Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Good point.  Not like the media ever sensationalizes anything.  Ever.  

This storm has a name, breh!! It’s real bad.   

fuck outta here with a generational storm.    We’ve had 50 weekends just like this in the last 20 years

edit:   Likely not 50, but get fucking real..  this shit happens on occasion.   Because it’s climate, not weather.  

Edited by Trey3216

12 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Binary arguments that refuse to acknowledge the other side.

Keep going guys you’re about to crack the whole thing.

Oh, I acknowledge the other side.  Plenty of people have a hard time wrapping their minds around the fact that severe weather is getting more frequent.  I just tried to make a joke about it.

But nevermind.  Back to the totally normal negative wind chill in Austin, TX...

Edited by TexArcher

Big dick checking in. You are not a true Texan if you were not outside drinking and grilling in shorts, shirt, and sandals these past few days. Smoked me some food last night and it was not even that cold. Weird to see Texans dressed as if it is freezing outside. Usually it is the woman that want to play dress up or beta males that do not lift. Hahahahaha.

7 minutes ago, Enemy07 said:

Big dick checking in. You are not a true Texan if you were not outside drinking and grilling in shorts, shirt, and sandals these past few days. Smoked me some food last night and it was not even that cold. Weird to see Texans dressed as if it is freezing outside. Usually it is the woman that want to play dress up or beta males that do not lift. Hahahahaha.

You can get fucked bro. I just smoked a brisket today and ate it. Got it to 87 degrees and said that is enough. Cold weather doesn't phase me. I rule the weather.