How has Hudson Card not been given a chance?

ztejas

He has looked like absolute dogshit since OU. The freshman excuse is laughable. He's regressed. He fucking needs to be benched.

I re-watched the OU game the week after and there were glimpses of his down fall. I actually didn’t even finish watching it because i was thinking we should’ve won by a lot more. He missed some throws granted we won 49-0 so I wasn’t thinking too much of it just chalking it up for me to be critiquing something. OU is garbage but they happened to be absolute garbage that game. I noticed some other posters saying the same thing about Quinn. Regardless of the throws he didn’t make at OU he made some spectacular one in the game as well. But there were flashes of what was to come.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Humble Beast said:

At this point there’s no title to play for, you let Ewers finish the year and see if he can work through a bad stretch as a freshman. I’ve been extremely disappointed with his play since the Ou game, but even Vince laid an egg as a RS Fr and was shutout by OU

Sophomore. But VY is a great example on another way-remember when he was pulled for Mock, who pulled off a win against Tech? That’s exactly what’s being proposed.

I don’t think anyone is arguing for Card to be QB1. I certainly wouldn’t. The whole “he’s not the answer, he lost his job, he sucks” etc. is a straw man (really, not just because it’s the only logical fallacy the internet knows).

But if Ewers is playing poorly-and he’s played as poorly as any QB we’ve had in the last decade in 2/3 most recent games-in a winnable game when this team has tangible goals still to achieve, why shouldn’t a guy who quite clearly was not THAT bad get a shot for a series of two to see what happens? Then by all means go back to Ewers next game and let him keep learning.

If the only reason not to is nonsense about damaging Ewers’ confidence or potentially creating a QB controversy, then he’s too fragile to make it anyway.

• Hook 'Em 5

Thompson sucks. Card sucks. Ewers sucks. There’s a through line.

Ewers is throwing the ball where he’s told to throw the ball. Does anyone think the deep balls to Worthy are the 2nd or 3rd reads on those plays? Could he execute those throws better? Yes, absolutely. Could Worthy run through the route and fight for the ball or try to draw a PI? Yes, absolutely.

It’s like saying Bijan forgot how to run, when we’re running zone into 9 man boxes. Why can’t he find a cutback!

This is a poorly coached and poorly disciplined squad, executing to varying degrees week to week. We’re screaming at symptoms not addressing causes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

What the fuck are we doing? 

This is fucking coaching malpractice.

How do you not even give this cat a series? 

Oh no fucking shit. What obscure, publically unavailable data points led you to that conclusion? Was it scoring 3 fucking points across an entire game against a mediocre defense? 

Shut the fuck up and quit posting you're such a stupid worthless fuck. 

No shit I'm upset you're the retard mongoloid defending Ewers in multiple threads. 

Maybe you don't actually care about Texas football and you're charging Quinn to suck his dick. That would explain it. 

It actually has a pretty huge impact on my life. You clearly don't give a shit so why don't you take the rest of the night off. 

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

Then you're fucking stupid too. Who else wants to join the dipshit brigade? 

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

It's going to be okay because you're a dumbass? I'm fine. I'm going to have a great day tomorrow. I'm concerned about the posters that can't understand why this team sucks. 

You good bro? 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, eljinca said:

Thompson sucks. Card sucks. Ewers sucks. There’s a through line.

Ewers is throwing the ball where he’s told to throw the ball. Does anyone think the deep balls to Worthy are the 2nd or 3rd reads on those plays? Could he execute those throws better? Yes, absolutely. Could Worthy run through the route and fight for the ball or try to draw a PI? Yes, absolutely.

It’s like saying Bijan forgot how to run, when we’re running zone into 9 man boxes. Why can’t he find a cutback!

This is a poorly coached and poorly disciplined squad, executing to varying degrees week to week. We’re screaming at symptoms not addressing causes.

There is more than 1 receiver on any given play. Ewers is throwing the ball where he wants to throw the ball. Bijan has always danced in the backfield instead of hitting the hole hard. It's his only weakness. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Some of you are more dedicated to Ewers playing than you are to the team winning and sadly that includes the coach. What does it say to the rest of the team if Ewers spot is beyond reproach. Why is everyone else getting yelled at and subbed out for mistakes while Ewers looks hungover and disinterested with an endless leash.  

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, eljinca said:

Not only does Sark game plan and adjust poorly, it never appears that we check out of bad plays at the LOS. If the box is stacked, somebody has 1 on 1 coverage. Of course, that's no guarantee when it's Zay versus a physical DB. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Oh how I wish it were…

The replies are priceless. Also, the question wasn’t why didn’t you put Card in the game with only a few minutes to go. It was why didn’t you go to him at all. Sark thinks he fucking knows everything. He never thought to put in Card in the Okie Lite game or this game. He obviously is not paying attention to just how bad Ewers was in either game. Never considered it. 

I’ve been a Sark defender all year until now.  A coach has to put the team first.  It’s not fair to Card to give him a chance to help the team win when the starter is clearly not prepared to?  Is it fair to every other player on the team that their head coach stubbornly refused to try every option to give them the opportunity to win?  This is the kind of shit that causes players to lose faith and check out.

This was THE game.  If the team shows up like they did against OU (and the defense did), you show your team, the recruits, your bosses and the fans that you are the man to lead Texas back to the promised land.  When they don’t show up prepared to play at a high level, it’s a statement about your ability to coach.

At that point, you have to do EVERYTHING possible to engineer an ugly win for the team.  You try card at QB.  You put RoSho at QB and try the option if you have to.  If you don’t at least try everything possible to win this game of games, that is also a statement about your ability to coach.

And if after the game you try to rationalize why you didn’t try everything possible to win this game of games, well, that pretty much says it all — you are quite clearly not the man for this job.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Holy shit would y’all stop with the idea that Ewers is playing hurt?

Ewers sucks ass. He’s terrible and a headcase, all at the same time.

Case McCoy wins this game for us. 

Not with that game plan. Case needed lots of quick slants, screens, y'know easy rhythm throws Sark waits to call until the QB is 0/10 with 0 yards. 

1 hour ago, DFW Horn said:

Not only does Sark game plan and adjust poorly, it never appears that we check out of bad plays at the LOS. If the box is stacked, somebody has 1 on 1 coverage. Of course, that's no guarantee when it's Zay versus a physical DB. 

I loved when we finally got to the goal line, TCU overloaded the right side of the LOS, so we hurried up and ran right into it for a 2-3 yard loss anyone could see coming, derailing the drive and killing any chance we had at a critical TD.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

I don't agree with the people saying we have the short memories on Card. That he had his chances and we all hated him. IIRC, the Tech loss was because we let a 3rd string QB kick our ass on defense. Card went 20/30 for 277 and 2/1 TD-INT. I remember thinking that was enough to win, but the defense let some slapdick fuck us all game on short throws, and Bijan fumbled in OT. I also remember Card going for 300 yards and 3 TDs against WVU. In his 2nd year as starter (part-time) he finally started to look like a start-worthy D-I QB, but we have a guy to anoint instead....... 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

The one loss he had he was 20/30 with 2 TDs and we scored 34 fucking points

Thats a lot better answer than Quinn’s 19 for 37 in his losses

Pretty sure I saw that Ewers' completion percentage in his last four games is 49%. Let that sink in.

I remember watching the southlake-Westlake state championship in which the Chaps buttfucked the shit out of quinn and the dragons and thinking to myself, how the fuck does this joe dirt looking guy have the same 1.000 recruiting ranking the Vince fucking Young?
Tonight was similar. That was one of the worst offensive performances I have ever seen in my life. This was as bad as the 2004 red river game. 
Quinn is a front running pussy who shrivels up when any adversity hits.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Well, my less than .02c worth.

I think Cards leg injury was worse than what was let on.  Or maybe it's a case of trial by fire, sink or swim for Ewers.  I have noticed a couple of comments in various threads about Ewers "bloated" appearing face.  Is the kid partying his ass off and not performing up to potential?

Beats the hell out of me...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, formermav43 said:

Sophomore. But VY is a great example on another way-remember when he was pulled for Mock, who pulled off a win against Tech? That’s exactly what’s being proposed.

I don’t think anyone is arguing for Card to be QB1. I certainly wouldn’t. The whole “he’s not the answer, he lost his job, he sucks” etc. is a straw man (really, not just because it’s the only logical fallacy the internet knows).

But if Ewers is playing poorly-and he’s played as poorly as any QB we’ve had in the last decade in 2/3 most recent games-in a winnable game when this team has tangible goals still to achieve, why shouldn’t a guy who quite clearly was not THAT bad get a shot for a series of two to see what happens? Then by all means go back to Ewers next game and let him keep learning.

If the only reason not to is nonsense about damaging Ewers’ confidence or potentially creating a QB controversy, then he’s too fragile to make it anyway.

All of what you have brought up will be addressed at Sark’s press conference manana.

11 hours ago, B00M said:

I loved when we finally got to the goal line, TCU overloaded the right side of the LOS, so we hurried up and ran right into it for a 2-3 yard loss anyone could see coming, derailing the drive and killing any chance we had at a critical TD.

We actually had double tight ends to that side. Where the play went wrong is the true freshman DJ Campbell got blown up and pushed back into the play by the TCU defender which made Rojo have to stop in the backfield. Otherwise Rojo has a full head of steam and likely bullies his way in. This is the problem with having young guys all over the place. Mistakes at critical times vs someone with much more determination and experience than you. He will learn. 

Screenshot (314).png

Screenshot (313).png

Screenshot (312).png

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Benching Ewers is a stupid fucking decision for the long-term outlook of this program. You stupid fuckers can't look past your hands to see the bigger picture.

Tell us how losing completely winnable games and potentially losing top recruits because our offensive mastermind is all-in on a QB who can't hit moving target to save his life right now and throws into double and triple coverage instead of to wide-open receivers, factors into the bigger picture?  How many more times do you need to see the offense go 3/4/5 and out before you try something new?  Our last 20 drives (6 quarters), FIFTEEN of them were 5 plays or less.  Also, is Ewers so fragile mentally that he'd lose it over being benched a few series or a quarter?  We were told that's not the case.  What's the issue with putting Card in for a few drives to see if he can get the offense going?  If he throws a pick six, oh well...we tried...we were going to lose anyway because a Ewers-led team has scored 6 points in the past 1.5 games.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Benching Ewers is a stupid fucking decision for the long-term outlook of this program. You stupid fuckers can't look past your hands to see the bigger picture.

What a stupid comment.  He's not going to be damaged for life if he's taken out of a game where he's playing like crap. Card definitely should have played.  Anyone who says that Card sucks is a total idiot who doesn't know football.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Team was 5-2, in contention for conference championship, and dude thinks we’re missing the picture wanting to bench a freshman qb for a half of football. 

lmao. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

No matter who he decided to put in the game he should have sat Ewers for a drive in thr 2nd quarter. Pull him over and talk him through a series to attempt to get his mind right ans coach him up. It's not baseball, just because you pull him for a series doesn't mean he's done for the game. 

I want Sark to be the guy but he has to improve his decision making with his roster. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Well, my less than .02c worth.

I think Cards leg injury was worse than what was let on.  Or maybe it's a case of trial by fire, sink or swim for Ewers.  I have noticed a couple of comments in various threads about Ewers "bloated" appearing face.  Is the kid partying his ass off and not performing up to potential?

Beats the hell out of me...

He does indeed look very bloated.  Thought I was imagining things, but now that others see it too…

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Give me a fucking break with this pollyana "future is bright" meaningless nonsense.  When was last time the long-term health of a program was destroyed because a woefully ineffective starting QB was benched for a half?

Wouldn't Card get an extra year because of Covid, regardless?

I doubt Card is wanting to stay on the sidelines. Guy almost won against Alabama, drove the team down to get to OT against Tech, and beat WVU with 300 yards passing on the road. 

Edited by mdmost

16 hours ago, OU Sucks said:

Tell us how losing completely winnable games and potentially losing top recruits because our offensive mastermind is all-in on a QB who can't hit moving target to save his life right now and throws into double and triple coverage instead of to wide-open receivers, factors into the bigger picture?  How many more times do you need to see the offense go 3/4/5 and out before you try something new?  Our last 20 drives (6 quarters), FIFTEEN of them were 5 plays or less.  Also, is Ewers so fragile mentally that he'd lose it over being benched a few series or a quarter?  We were told that's not the case.  What's the issue with putting Card in for a few drives to see if he can get the offense going?  If he throws a pick six, oh well...we tried...we were going to lose anyway because a Ewers-led team has scored 6 points in the past 1.5 games.

The offense looks worse this year right now than it did last year. Just think about that.

5 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Give me a fucking break with this pollyana "future is bright" meaningless nonsense.  When was last time the long-term health of a program was destroyed because a woefully ineffective starting QB was benched for a half?

You don’t remember how VY was never the same again after Chance Mock had to come in to beat Tech. What could have been…

• Haha 1

Benching jalen hurts really set them both back.

I also don’t know which side I’m on. We’ve seen card and don’t like him either