Celebrity Death Pool -- 2023

Aqua Buddha

He took me, with the stink of filthy roadhouse whiskey on his breath, and I liked it. I liked it! With all that dirty touching of his hands all over me. I should've given you to God when you were born, but I was weak and backsliding, and now the Devil has come home.

• Hook 'Em 2

This is the most Chrissy Snow Suzanne Sommers quote ever

"Many people don't know what sacrifices Suzanne Somers made for equal pay. By 1980, she had already won a People's Choice Award for "favorite female performer," and was nominated for a Golden Globe for her work on Three's Company. But her male counterparts made more money – a LOT more.

When it came time for fifth-season negotiations, she asked for a pay hike from $30,000 an episode to $150,000. That was identical to what John Ritter was receiving, and comparable to salaries that MASH's Alan Alda and All in the Family's Carroll O'Connor were being paid on shows with much lower ratings. Instead, ABC offered her just a $5,000 increase. "It was like, I'm selling more tickets than any of them. And shouldn’t it be about how many tickets you sell and how many viewers you have?"

She protested. And was fired. "I couldn't get a job. And I still don’t know what they told the cast, but everyone turned against me." She eventually built back her career as a product spokesperson, before landing a big new sitcom in the 90s, Step By Step.

But she still had no relationship with her former costar John Ritter – until one memorable day. "I hadn’t talked to John in 20 or 30 years, and then one day, I got a call, and he said, 'Hey babe, I forgive you.' I thought, 'You forgive me?' I'm the one who was fired and lost my job. But then I decided to put on my big girl pants. So I said, 'Thank you.' And that was a hard thank you because I realized he didn't even know what had really happened.

He told me he was doing a show called 8 Simple Rules, and he pitched an idea to me where his character has a nightmare, and Joyce and I were in it. After all these years, I told him I didn’t want to come back as his nightmare. So we agreed to work on something else together down the line. Then he died one week later." Suzanne Somers has died of breast cancer, at the age of 76.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 6:48 PM, Jiggy-Z said:

I went to another UH game and Shannon Kelly was the QB and he threw like 6 interceptions and 3 of them were pic 6's., so this hits close to home. 

'87- 3 picks by Kelley, 1 by Brett Stafford. All 4 were pick 6s. Texas lost 60-40. Texas threw 60 passes that day which I'd be willing to bet set a record 

On 10/10/2023 at 8:50 PM, Bevo said:

If you throw that out 5 times in a row without any deep passes, that shit happens. He was a damn good high school QB. Our offensive coordinator sucked.

Texas signed a ton of Spring Branch ISD guys back in those days. Some panned out, some didn't...Kelley was... the latter. 

2 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

'87- 3 picks by Kelley, 1 by Brett Stafford. All 4 were pick 6s. Texas lost 60-40. Texas threw 60 passes that day which I'd be willing to bet set a record 

Texas signed a ton of Spring Branch ISD guys back in those days. Some panned out, some didn't...Kelley was... the latter. 

Yeah, but we all knew each other. Shannon was good.

2 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

He may have been a good high school qb...his college stats (4 tds, 15 picks) tell a different story by any remotely objective judgement 

A lot of good players had shitty careers because of shitty coaching. I caught passes from both Shannon and Peter Gardere and Shannon was a better QB. And they were both kind of dicks (although nice to me) so it isn't like I'm basing my opinion on anything other than football.

9 minutes ago, Bevo said:

A lot of good players had shitty careers because of shitty coaching. I caught passes from both Shannon and Peter Gardere and Shannon was a better QB. And they were both kind of dicks (although nice to me) so it isn't like I'm basing my opinion on anything other than football.

Your opinion is based on you being friends. Stats are based on football.  I'm sure he was good in high school. I'm also pretty sure being QB at Texas and dating an Olympic gold medal gymnast came with its share of distractions, and it didn't work out.  It happens.  A 4/15 ratio isn't all on coaching 

I caught something on youtube about the Suzanne Somers "strike" from Three's Company. My takeaway was that mistakes were on all sides. The producers felt Ritter was the star and the two female leads weren't as critical. Somers knew that she attracted viewers and wanted to get paid like a top TV star. Then she started feigning illnesses, or that was the accusation that led to wasted weeks of production.

The craziest part was that for her last season, the show's story was that Chrissy was back home helping with some family issues. Either Janet or Jack would call her in the last few minutes of the episode and they would cut to Chrissy on the phone. All of Somers' scenes were filmed separately with no other castmates for the entire season. Then she was removed entirely.

• Like 1

Might be a little premature but Sam Neill entering the chat. He has Blood cancer and the drugs seem to be not working. Obviously not dead but I love how at peace he is with it all. Mostly annoyed by dying and death. When people put this shit out there it’s for a reason:

“I’m not afraid to die, but it would annoy me,” Neill said in the interview. “Because I’d really like another decade or two, you know? We’ve built all these lovely terraces, we’ve got these olive trees and cypresses. I want to be around to see it all mature. And I’ve got my lovely little grandchildren. I want to see them get big. But as for the dying? I couldn’t care less.”

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/sam-neill-cancer-treatment-stop-working-not-afraid-death-1235757954/amp/

I know most people love him from Jurassic park but Red October was brilliant acting. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

4 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Might be a little premature but Sam Neill entering the chat. Blood cancer and drugs seem to be not working. Obviously not dead but I love how at peace he is with it all. Mostly annoyed by dying and death. When people put this shit out there it’s for a reason:

“I’m not afraid to die, but it would annoy me,” Neill said in the interview. “Because I’d really like another decade or two, you know? We’ve built all these lovely terraces, we’ve got these olive trees and cypresses. I want to be around to see it all mature. And I’ve got my lovely little grandchildren. I want to see them get big. But as for the dying? I couldn’t care less.”

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/sam-neill-cancer-treatment-stop-working-not-afraid-death-1235757954/amp/

I know most people love him from Jurassic park but Red October was brilliant acting. 

Just watched him in a 2020 Aussie film called Rams. Thought he looked off. Figured it was age and weight gain.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Might be a little premature but Sam Neill entering the chat. Blood cancer and drugs seem to be not working. Obviously not dead but I love how at peace he is with it all. Mostly annoyed by dying and death. When people put this shit out there it’s for a reason:

Seems the blood cancer thing is working as expected.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

I had no idea how much stuff he was in from my childhood.  Rocky movies to "Back to School" to half the TV shows my dad used to watch and let me watch as a kid.  And he was a subtle scene stealer every time.  What a fucking run.  Still has 4 projects yet to be released, close to 170 credited roles by the time it's all said and done.  RIP, Burt.  

Random facts I'm just reading-published author, playwright, stage actor, U.S. Marine, and boxing champ of said Corps.   Wife died when he was just 34 after 1 child together.  Never remarries.  Ran NYC Marathon in 1984.  I'm sure his long stride helped.  Survived by daughter and grandson.  God bless 'em

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

I had no idea how much stuff he was in from my childhood.  Rocky movies to "Back to School" to half the TV shows my dad used to watch and let me watch as a kid.  And he was a subtle scene stealer every time.  What a fucking run.  Still has 4 projects yet to be released, close to 170 credited roles by the time it's all said and done.  RIP, Burt.  
Random facts I'm just reading-published author, playwright, stage actor, U.S. Marine, and boxing champ of said Corps.   Wife died when he was just 34 after 1 child together.  Never remarries.  Ran NYC Marathon in 1984.  I'm sure his long stride helped.  Survived by daughter and grandson.  God bless 'em

Watched Back to School the other day. Always liked the guy.

On 10/17/2023 at 12:44 AM, Nicole44 said:

Might be a little premature but Sam Neill entering the chat. He has Blood cancer and the drugs seem to be not working. Obviously not dead but I love how at peace he is with it all. Mostly annoyed by dying and death. When people put this shit out there it’s for a reason:

The man’s priorities are straight. Still to be at peace with death is a good place to be. I feel for his grandkids and the love they’ll be missing out on. He has always seemed like a good guy and it’ll be a sad day when he passes.

This quote doesn’t make it sound like Sam Neill is going anywhere soon.

Neill, known for his work in television and films like “Jurassic Park,” said that after three months of chemotherapy, the treatment stopped working. His doctors switched courses to try “a rare anti-cancer drug” and it’s had some success, Neill said.

Receiving doses of the drug every two weeks helped usher him into remission, though the star said doctors have told him that eventually it will cease to be effective.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2023 at 11:44 PM, Nicole44 said:

but Red October was brilliant acting. 

I would like to have seen Montana is a great line....

what aggravated me about that line when I watched it in the theater for the first time, as a guy who had read the book prior to the movie coming out, was Borodin wasnt shot, he lived in the book. He was a pretty memorable character because he was constantly having to back Ramius' moves while calming down the rest of the officers everytime Ramius did something bonkers or unorthodox

it was another, (less important) defecting officer who was killed by the GRU Spy.

Its been almost 35 years since I read most of the Ryan books, but I remember character Ramius was for sure consulted by Ryan in at least one other book (Probably Cardinal), and I really think Borodin was also

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

what aggravated me about that line when I watched it in the theater for the first time, as a guy who had read the book prior to the movie coming out, was Borodin wasnt shot, he lived in the book. He was a pretty memorable character because he was constantly having to back Ramius' moves while calming down the rest of the officers everytime Ramius did something bonkers or unorthodox

it was another, (less important) defecting officer who was killed by the GRU Spy.

Its been almost 35 years since I read most of the Ryan books, but I remember character Ramius was for sure consulted by Ryan in at least one other book (Probably Cardinal), and I really think Borodin was also

Spoiler that shit, damnit.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Spoiler

I thought Clear & Present Danger was the worst adaptation, and my wife was pissed because I was laughing during the movie for the outlandishness of some of the changes. It has been a long time; but I seem to remember a character or two that were good guys in the books turn into bad guys in the movie, and chase scenes that were outlandish.

Spoilered for those who haven't watched a 30 year old movie. I think Patriot Games might have been my favorite Jack Ryan book.

• Hook 'Em 1