the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

So why do they just keep voting over and over if they, presumably, know they don't have the votes?  How is he surprised?  Are people saying they will flip and vote for him and then not doing it when the time comes?  

Psssst.....they don't know what they are doing.

They invited insane, shit-flinging monkeys into their house (the HFC).  The monkeys won't leave, and the rest of the party has no way to MAKE them leave.  So, they are stuck in a house with insane, shit-flinging monkeys who have no inclination to stop their insane shit-flinging, and there's no way to stop them.  In that situation, there's really nothing you CAN do.  You created this mess.  You are now stuck in it for as long as the crazy shit-flingers decide you'll be stuck in it.  Could it be another day?  Week?  Year?  It's all up to them.....who YOU gave all the power to.

The GQP is getting covered with layer upon layer of flung shit, and it is entirely of their own making.

I swear to god, if the Dems do ANYTHING to relieve the GQP of its plight, I will kick every one of them in the nuts/ovaries.

• Hook 'Em 6

Meanwhile on Fox News, no coverage of the speaker debacle…. Instead and I shit you not, when I turned on Fox News the anchor was running a Cookie Crisp cereal commercial as the lead for their story on the Big Lie - the sugar industry.

AE54D353-3B2E-4753-AC63-DDB651E8180F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, troph said:

Meanwhile on Fox News, no coverage of the speaker debacle…. Instead and I shit you not, when I turned on Fox News the anchor was running a Cookie Crisp cereal commercial as the lead for their story on the Big Lie - the sugar industry.

AE54D353-3B2E-4753-AC63-DDB651E8180F.jpeg

Wait, are they now saying sugar is bad for you?  That's just crazy talk.

• Haha 3

I don’t know if any exist, but if there are more than a few moderate republicans and any of them want to be speaker, they could approach the democrats. Basically offer the Dems something like committee chairs. Dems have little to lose especially if they can gain some concessions for the next two years.

In a sense they would be creating a 3rd party that gets to lead a coalition govt.

of course if any of those moderate repubs exist and attempt this idea, they would be punished if they failed.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

8 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Wait, are they now saying sugar is bad for you?  That's just crazy talk.

Well what’s interesting is the story started with the lies of government and sugar industry buying studies from Harvard and shit to establish 6-11 servings of Cookie Crisp as the foundation of the food pyramid. That was literally what he said. Basically a story to further suggest government shouldn’t be trusted. Meanwhile… 

1 minute ago, troph said:

Well what’s interesting is the story started with the lies of government and sugar industry buying studies from Harvard and shit to establish 6-11 servings of Cookie Crisp as the foundation of the food pyramid. That was literally what he said. Basically a story to further suggest government shouldn’t be trusted. Meanwhile… 

I'm surprised he didn't frame it as something the Democrats did.

• Hook 'Em 1

900+ posts in less than a day and a half, can I get cliffs notes version of what's been going on? Relevant pages to read maybe? Are they getting further away from deciding still or are the votes starting to come back in?

Thanks in advance, I have nothing to offer back but rep and rushed photoshops I make on my phone.

Just now, Covri said:

900+ posts in less than a day and a half, can I get cliffs notes version of what's been going on? Relevant pages to read maybe? Are they getting further away from deciding still or are the votes starting to come back in?

Thanks in advance, I have nothing to offer back but rep and rushed photoshops I make on my phone.

He’s lost 6 votes in a row. He is still losing 20 or so, with one switching to “present” instead of voting. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Covri said:

i was live-tweeting in here by myself for about a half hour yesterday.

cliff's - mccarthy needed 4 or fewer gop defections.  in the first couple ballots he had 19.  the next couple he had 20.  the last ones he's had 21.

he's getting farther away from it.  6 ballots in and no end in sight.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don’t know if any exist, but if there are more than a few moderate republicans and any of them want to be speaker, they could approach the democrats. Basically offer the Dems something like committee chairs. Dems have little to lose especially if they can gain some concessions for the next two years.

In a sense they would be creating a 3rd party that gets to lead a coalition govt.

of course if any of those moderate repubs exist and attempt this idea, they would be punished if they failed.

No, the Dems just need to wait for the GOP to fuck up enough that Jeffries becomes speaker. I put it at 50% right now that enough of those idiots will fail to vote that Jeffries wins it. It will not last long, but it'll be hilarious. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Covri said:

charlie kelly dancing GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

So why do they just keep voting over and over if they, presumably, know they don't have the votes?  How is he surprised?  Are people saying they will flip and vote for him and then not doing it when the time comes?  

I heard on Dateline Whitehouse that the rules require voting unless adjourned (or something like that).  They aren't allowed to stop trying or stop finding solutions.

• Hook 'Em 1

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
  • Haha 1

Dems need to hammer away for another vote tonight. It does nothing but reinforce that they're ready to get this Congress seated and working towards serving the American people while pointing the finger directly at the GQP idiots for the delays and inaction. They should be pushing for 3-4 votes each day.

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Can they just keep doing this for the next two years, cause that might be the best possible outcome for everyone. 

Have 2 years of no budgets, debt ceilings or legislation of any kind pass? Sounds terrible and like a disaster in the making. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Dems need to hammer away for another vote tonight. It does nothing but reinforce that they're ready to get this Congress seated and working towards serving the American people while pointing the finger directly at the GQP idiots for the delays and inaction. They should be pushing for 3-4 votes each day.

they're voting unanimously to vote again.  gop has the numbers to adjourn.  no idea who isn't there to vote.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

they're voting unanimously to vote again.  gop has the numbers to adjourn.  no idea who isn't there to vote.

Well we know Santos is hiding in the literal Cloakroom, Gaetz keeps getting lost in his own building (though he always seems to know where 'the good bathroom' is), What-s her name Hammack is still trying to find that handtruck with all the pizzas on it, and a handful of Democrats had to go change in their offices from pissing themselves laughing in the last hour.  So there's at least 6 missing.  

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

And half the country isn't even aware that any of this is happening.

That's how fucked up our politics and "news media" are right now.

It's amazing.

I'd wager it's less than half that know about it and out of the 40ish% that do know there's another sizable portion that have no idea what is happening just that it is happening. 

The Congressional Leadership Fund agrees with the Club for Growth not to play in open-seat primaries.  @Bateshorn can give more color here, but I think the general feel is that the CLF favors more electable (read: moderate) candidates.  This is a big win for the Never Kevins.  But it's probably an even bigger win for Democrats, who are now going to get even more loony MAGA House candidates running in open seats.

This alone could be enough to swing the House back to the Democrats in 2024.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Dude on the left in red tie & glasses has the right idea.  Focus on coked-up Gaetz ramble on in Goebbels tones with really weird body language.  or make mental snapshots of what AOC's sultry face looks like.  

May we all be as satisfied tonight as AOC.  

8 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

The Congressional Leadership Fund agrees with the Club for Growth not to play in open-seat primaries.  @Bateshorn can give more color here, but I think the general feel is that the CLF favors more electable (read: moderate) candidates.  This is a big win for the Never Kevins.  But it's probably an even bigger win for Democrats, who are now going to get even more loony MAGA House candidates running in open seats.

This alone could be enough to swing the House back to the Democrats in 2024.

Unless the seats are safely red in which case the R’s in congress become more batshit.