the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Ah.  So you know everything about everybody.  Got it.  I should have asked you first.

Groups of people aren't monolithic.  Maybe wake the fuck up.  Consider this a virtual neg rep, because you're being stupid.

Well,

One of us needs to wake up.  I hope it is me, this dream sucks.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

This.  There are no real "single issue" voters.  They'll tell you that they are but when you get past that single issue, they seem to fall in line with everyone else.  Find me a single issue pro life voter who favors rational gun control.

How about anti-abortion but for medical care for trans kids... (The ones who commit suicide >80% of the time with out care)  Soooo pro life bro!

These posters seem to really know some basic bitches.  Only care/think/vote for one thing only!  I need to get out more.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I can’t stand MTG but I understand her point. If they can’t trust and control people from recording the meetings, then perhaps they shouldn’t have meetings.

That's not her point, but yeah, it's pathetic they have to even try to confiscate phones, because they are all children incapable of addressing important issues with any level of maturity.

8 minutes ago, locodos said:

These posters seem to really know some basic bitches.  Only care/think/vote for one thing only!  I need to get out more.

Well, I know someone that essentially became single issue pro life after twins arrived prematurely, weren't viable, and died in their arms, and it just changed perspective on that issue above everything.  Getting way off topic but it's nice to try to remind ourselves everyone has different backgrounds and experiences that shape their beliefs/opinions. I fail at that constantly as well because I'm pretty sure I'm right about everything.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

This literally describes almost all of the devout Catholics I know

Fair point but growing up Baptist, almost every Baptist at this point is 100% on Republican issues but they'll tell you they're single issue.

26 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

She's got a fuck pad ready and waiting for you to show up.

Hey, I'm down.  Just remember to put her in the fuck category and not marry or date.  Beware of the crazy nookie.

8 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Fair point but growing up Baptist, almost every Baptist at this point is 100% on Republican issues but they'll tell you they're single issue.

Sure, but that’s a function of the political takeover of the SBC by the Republican  party in the 80s and was very intentionally partisan in nature. The Catholic single issue abortion voter is voting strictly on moral grounds, consensus with doctrine. They typically support reasonable gun control, oppose the death penalty and support the humane treatment of refugees.

Edit: they simply place abortion on a higher plane of the moral hierarchy, then the other issues.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Well, I know someone that essentially became single issue pro life after twins arrived prematurely, weren't viable, and died in their arms, and it just changed perspective on that issue above everything.  Getting way off topic but it's nice to try to remind ourselves everyone has different backgrounds and experiences that shape their beliefs/opinions. I fail at that constantly as well because I'm pretty sure I'm right about everything.

First of all I wish them peace.  ( I sincerely mean that)

A very good friend of mine had a similar experience, devastating, it's been over 15yrs and they still are brutally scared.   I wish your friends were more thoughtful though, current attacks on women's rights are FORCING girls/women to have that same VERY traumatizing experience because they can't get care.  Fetus is non viable?, carry it to term and have it die in your arms or until you miscarry...  doesn't matter to us if you might die, we're pro-life!

Like you said, we all have our life experiences, I just have a hard time thinking that rational adult complex humans can only hold one thought in their mind to the exclusion of all others.  I think it takes willful denial.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

So if Jeffries can get 10 or so Republicans to support a moderate for speaker, can Bowtie preclude a vote?

Question is, what will he want in return?

I'd ask for no more shutdowns and stopping the Hunter Biden/impeachment nonsense.  He could get that from 20-30 of them and then we could all watch ring wing media burn.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I'd ask for no more shutdowns and stopping the Hunter Biden/impeachment nonsense.  He could get that from 20-30 of them and then we could all watch ring wing media burn.

Probably these:

- Call off impeachment inquiry

- Make the motion to vacate out of order

-50/50 committee splits with Jeffries naming the chair of Rules and Judiciary

- Deal for large Ukraine and Israel support package

- No threat of shutdown

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

Moderate Dems would vote for Tom Cole. The longer this drags, the chances of a coalition House rises. But it’s about 0.0% now.

GOP may move to name McHenry acting speaker instead of speaker pro tempore. I guess there’s a difference 

quite a few GOP have decided they cannot vote for Jordan or Scalise bc of how ineffective leadership has been so why elevate part of the incompetence. 

Edited by Js1

58 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Hey, I'm down.  Just remember to put her in the fuck category and not marry or date.  Beware of the crazy nookie.

John Hardon, er Hardonwood, er Harwood also seems to have a hard-on for her.

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Moderate Dems would vote for Tom Cole. The longer this drags, the chances of a coalition House rises. But it’s about 0.0% now.

GOP may move to name McHenry acting speaker instead of speaker pro tempore. I guess there’s a difference 

Cole is the only person in the Oklahoma delegation I don't despise. I think he'd do a good job. But I read he has no interest, and he'd never get re-elected in Oklahoma if he openly worked with Dems on something this high profile. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Cole is the only person in the Oklahoma delegation I don't despise. I think he'd do a good job. But I read he has no interest, and he'd never get re-elected in Oklahoma if he openly worked with Dems on something this high profile. 

He's not moderate by any means at all - voted against election certification, signed onto the Dobbs amicus briefs, etc.  But someone like Don Bacon might "too moderate" to get enough GOP support. 

The Dems, off the record, feel like Cole is someone they can work with / stand.  He'd inherit a lot of McCarthy's funding infrastructure to beat back a primary challenger. 

Edited by Js1

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

As tragic as this story is, and I'm an adopted child from a mother who couldn't have children, all that reads to me is someone who had a traumatic experience and demand they control the lives of other people and their decisions, based on their own personal tragedy. And while a delicate matter, I think that's fucked up. But you know what, they have a right to vote. I also, since life is such a sacred matter to them, hope that they saw to it to adopt and or foster one of the hundreds of thousands of children in America that are alive now and need help and a loving home. 

• Hook 'Em 8

20 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't think the GOP is going to call for a vote until they have 217 Yes votes in their side meetings. 

Even if they get 217 in their side meetings, I don't think this crew can be trusted to hold the line and vote as promised they would on the floor. Too many of these fools like the attention and clicks that comes from creating chaos.

• Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

He should get that plus continued Ukraine funding

56 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

Probably these:

- Call off impeachment inquiry

- Make the motion to vacate out of order

-50/50 committee splits with Jeffries naming the chair of Rules and Judiciary

- Deal for large Ukraine and Israel support package

- No threat of shutdown

This

11 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

How much longer is it going to take for the "normal" chucklefucks to realize they need to stuff the burn-it-down caucus into a locker to have any chance of moving forward and electing a new speaker?

As it turns out, negotiating with terrorists sets a bad precedent.  

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't think the GOP is going to call for a vote until they have 217 Yes votes in their side meetings. 

This. They'll figure it out eventually. 

35 minutes ago, royiv said:

Even if they get 217 in their side meetings, I don't think this crew can be trusted to hold the line and vote as promised they would on the floor. Too many of these fools like the attention and clicks that comes from creating chaos.

There are diminishing returns on these stunts. It's all on the GOP to get this done. It's one thing to be obstructionist against the Democrats but quite another to be so against your own party. At some point the act wears thin and they'll be under pressure from their constituents to get this done.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

These supposed college educated people have given up the talking points of: 1) a stolen election 2) the Bidens are a crime family 3) Ukraine is full of nazis with secret labs making viruses 4) the trans are a threat to your kids, not bullets. 5) vaccines kill people 

How brave 

the one I still hear is "in this economy?" or "because of the economy I can't...." I wish I were better equipped to retort, but I'm busy with my business. you know, because of the economy - I'm just not as informed on the ins and outs of what's really happening. it's maddening. though, when people throw it out and have no idea whether it's true. if you believe in the speaking truth, you know how damaging that mindset can be.

anywho, back on topic. any traction to the assertion that Rep Booker has built some kind of coalition? that would be a lovely cherry on top of this shit heap