the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

7 minutes ago, The Dog said:

This. They'll figure it out eventually. 

There are diminishing returns on these stunts. It's all on the GOP to get this done. It's one thing to be obstructionist against the Democrats but quite another to be so against your own party. At some point the act wears thin and they'll be under pressure from their constituents to get this done.

I presume that if they get all 217 they won't call for a roll call vote to avoid the chance someone gets cute.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

He's not moderate by any means at all - voted against election certification, signed onto the Dobbs amicus briefs, etc.  But someone like Don Bacon might "too moderate" to get enough GOP support. 

The Dems, off the record, feel like Cole is someone they can work with / stand.  He'd inherit a lot of McCarthy's funding infrastructure to beat back a primary challenger. 

I agree, and think that anyone who denied the election should be disqualified, but this is the gqp we're talking about. He's supported our Indian tribes against Governor Schitt's attacks and is willing to talk with Democrats like an adult. He's basically AOC by today's gqp standards. 

1 hour ago, GopherRock said:

- Call off impeachment inquiry

Is there not some advantage to letting that one play out further?  I don’t think any GOP rep is convincing anyone besides the captive Fox audience that it’s worth the attention and they aren’t voting Dem no matter what.  

I’d rather they spin their wheels here than maybe settle on an issue that might have broader appeal.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, The Dog said:

of course I post that and then there is this:

Republicans offer the Democrats nothing:

Media: "Why don't the Democrats put partisanship aside and help the Republicans?"

Frank Luntz was on CNBC the other day crying into his tampon about how mean the Dems were to McCarthy.  Not one mention of how McCarthy used to rent a room from Luntz or a question of why the Republicans don't vote for Jeffries as Speaker.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't think the GOP is going to call for a vote until they have 217 Yes votes in their side meetings. 

Even if the Dems could come up with a compromise to support a moderate Republican, how do they get McHenry to take a vote?  Is there anything stopping him from just keeping the House in recess until he gets the answer he wants?  Would they have to sue him to test McHenry's "necessary and appropriate" authority?

34 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

The longer this goes on the closer we get to a three party system. We are probably already there except for the formalities. The GQP is a coalition government 

If the US is going to do anything to stem the rapid decline it's going to require some pretty major changes at the constitutional level. The two party system just can't work anymore in this environment so there would have to be a shift to a hybrid system that marginalizes the extremes in society. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fuggled said:

Even if the Dems could come up with a compromise to support a moderate Republican, how do they get McHenry to take a vote?  Is there anything stopping him from just keeping the House in recess until he gets the answer he wants?  Would they have to sue him to test McHenry's "necessary and appropriate" authority?

I had the same thought. I just assume that 20 Republicans are like "We're good with whoever, lets get this shit over with" and then on the floor they switch to whichever candidate. 

2 minutes ago, fuggled said:

Just flush him down the toilet. He’s about the same size as my BBQ shits.

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I had the same thought. I just assume that 20 Republicans are like "We're good with whoever, lets get this shit over with" and then on the floor they switch to whichever candidate. 

Yeah, you're probably right, but that sounds tricky to pull off.  The other option I see is for McHenry to call for the election of a different speaker pro tempore and then let that person preside over the actual vote for the speaker.  That way he McHenry can claim he wasn't part of the compromise.

12 minutes ago, fuggled said:

Well shit, why didn’t McCarthy just declare the House in recess and never let them vote him out in the first place?

• Drool 1

13 minutes ago, fuggled said:

Yeah, you're probably right, but that sounds tricky to pull off.  The other option I see is for McHenry to call for the election of a different speaker pro tempore and then let that person preside over the actual vote for the speaker.  That way he McHenry can claim he wasn't part of the compromise.

Now I'm imaginng a chain of new pro tempore elections that go around the GOP caucus like a fucking wave or game of hot potato. NOT IT

9 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Well shit, why didn’t McCarthy just declare the House in recess and never let them vote him out in the first place?

Becuase then he would have been blamed for a government shut down in a way that couldn't be deflected and blamed on democrats, even by fox news. 

40 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This, it's quite hilarious.

GOP: You have to help us elect a Speaker

Dems: Okay, what do we get out of it?

GOP: WE HAVE TO GIVE YOU SOMETHING????????

These are not serious people we're dealing with on that side for the most part.

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Frank Luntz was on CNBC the other day crying into his tampon about how mean the Dems were to McCarthy.  Not one mention of how McCarthy used to rent a room from Luntz or a question of why the Republicans don't vote for Jeffries as Speaker.

I think most people here know this, but, fun fact: Kevin McCarthy is Frank Luntz's close friend and roommate.

49 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

If the US is going to do anything to stem the rapid decline it's going to require some pretty major changes at the constitutional level. The two party system just can't work anymore in this environment so there would have to be a shift to a hybrid system that marginalizes the extremes in society. 

Why not just let the magats split off and the remaining Rs do their thing and they both get trounced by the Ds over and over?

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  I mean, we could go to 1930s Germany and find someone who says "I'm a single-issue voter: trains running on time.  Hitler is the guy with ideas on how to do that.  I don't like his whole 'we need to exterminate the jews' angle, but I'll hold my nose and vote for him, cuz trains."

You know what that person was?  A fucking nazi.

Yeah, I made that comment and then read the rest of this thread to catch up.  It is amazing to me how many people don't understand that if you pull the lever for them, you're giving a tacit endorsement to how they will operate in office.  I don't care if being pro-life is your only issue.  If you vote for Trump or any of the other MAGA assholes, you're endorsing their actions (and most importantly, their votes) on incredibly important issues.  

• Hook 'Em 6

6 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I think most people here know this, but, fun fact: Kevin McCarthy is Frank Luntz's close friend and roommate.

Not sure if this is serious or a McCoy/Shipley reference. If they are close friends/roommates, I didn't know. 

Will wait until I see Frank Luntz throwing passes to McCarthy on a bass boat.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

Just now, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, I made that comment and then read the rest of this thread to catch up.  It is amazing to me how many people don't understand that if you pull the lever for them, you're giving a tacit endorsement to how they will operate in office.

Good lord, people understand the implications of their vote.  I swear, some of you need to go back and retake middle school history and civics.

10 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Like James Buchanan sharing a bed with his best friend close or Jack and Bobby Kennedy tag teaming Marilyn Monroe close?

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  I mean, we could go to 1930s Germany and find someone who says "I'm a single-issue voter: trains running on time.  Hitler is the guy with ideas on how to do that.  I don't like his whole 'we need to exterminate the jews' angle, but I'll hold my nose and vote for him, cuz trains."

You know what that person was?  A fucking nazi.

These are the same people who offered up “it wasn’t about slavery, it was about state’s rights”. They are monsters. Always have been. 

• Hook 'Em 5

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Good lord, people understand the implications of their vote.  I swear, some of you need to go back and retake middle school history and civics.

You clearly have a more optimistic view of humanity and Americans at this point than I do, sir. Particularly the QAnon nutbags that Trump has drawn to the ballot box, who I don't think even have a basic understanding of the same history and civics you reference. I've posted this in other threads before, but most US Citizens who can legally vote would FAIL the same test required of immigrants trying to gain their own citizenship.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/most-us-would-fail-u-s-citizenship-test-survey-finds-n918961

In this fucking world of likes and re-tweets and the dopamine hit that associates with it, are you really confident that every who votes understand the wide ranging implications versus getting that dopamine hit of owning the libs? Because I fucking dont. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

Per Bloomberg:

1. They want Dems to vote present to lower the threshold 

2. GOP members are waiting for some actual ideas or an outline from Dems to negotiate how that would work and what they want in exchange for voting present. Mike Rogers is not the only GOP open to this - also Steve Womack. Jeffries has offered meetings, but Rogers wants some concrete things Dems want now, not meetings. Kathleen Clark said this is up to the caucus 

3. Some GOP, led by David Joyce, with Dem support, are looking at expanding McHenry’s powers for a temporary period (30-60 days) to act on legislation (foreign aid mostly)

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, GopherRock said:

Probably these:

- Call off impeachment inquiry

- Make the motion to vacate out of order

-50/50 committee splits with Jeffries naming the chair of Rules and Judiciary

- Deal for large Ukraine and Israel support package

- No threat of shutdown

Forgot one thing: all of the above written into the rules package to be passed prior to election of the Speaker. 

BREAKING: Civil war erupts in the Republican Party again as MAGA lunatic Marjorie Taylor Greene launches a frothing attack on Republican Congresswoman Nancy Mace for her "disgusting attack" on Majority Leader Steve Scalise. Let them fight! It all started with Mace saying that she would not support Scalise for the Speakership because he "attended a white supremacist conference and compared himself to David Duke." Mace's attack is well-founded but cynical. She doesn't care about morality really, since she's supporting Congressman Jim Jordan for the job, a monster who ignored rampant sexual abuse at Ohio State University. This is partisan intraparty bickering. Greene lashed out over Mace's accurate characterization of Scalise's character. "I’m supporting Jim Jordan for Speaker. I’m not supporting Scalise," said Greene. "I like Steve Scalise, and as I said, I want him to beat cancer, and he should be focused on that.” "What I do think is an unfair and quite frankly disgusting attack is members of our conference using Democratic talking points, using the same lines of attack that Democrats use against every single Republican, every single election, every single day, in these halls of Congress to attack Steve," she went on. Really getting worked up now, Greene went on to whine that you can "support who you want" but that Mace is "using Democrat BLM lines" to attack Scalise who is supported by "more than 100 of our own conference." She complained that Mace is saying that "half" of the Republican conference "supports a white supremacist," an assessment that is objectively true despite what Greene says. "I want a party that’s not always splintered into five factions. I want a party that’s a single fist so we can knock out the Democrats and save this country," concluded Greene. Good luck with that. The Republican Party is so fractured because it stands for nothing. It has no real principles other than a thirst for power and a desire to further enrich corporations. Of course these sociopaths are at each others' throats.

ETA these are JIM JORDAN supporters attacking EACH OTHER.

MTG is mad that Mace is getting attention so she went on the attack.

Edited by The Dog
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

You clearly have a more optimistic view of humanity and Americans at this point than I do, sir. Particularly the QAnon nutbags that Trump has drawn to the ballot box, who I don't think even have a basic understanding of the same history and civics you reference. I've posted this in other threads before, but most US Citizens who can legally vote would FAIL the same test required of immigrants trying to gain their own citizenship.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/most-us-would-fail-u-s-citizenship-test-survey-finds-n918961

In this fucking world of likes and re-tweets and the dopamine hit that associates with it, are you really confident that every who votes understand the wide ranging implications versus getting that dopamine hit of owning the libs? Because I fucking dont. 

That's not what I said.  I was acknowledging the fact that people tend to grasp the idea that their vote helps enable the actions of the elected official, should they take office.

That's completely different than saying they endorse every action their elected offical takes subsequent to winning the election.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

image.png.c1b20c0706f2578094468c55772a6778.png

23 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Yeah, but it went without mention during that interview and I've never heard a reporter mention it.

Look, I think Luntz calls it like he sees it, personally and professionally. But just as a best practice reporters should mention it whenever Luntz talks about McCarthy or the house GOP leadership. 

21 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Not sure if this is serious or a McCoy/Shipley reference. If they are close friends/roommates, I didn't know. 

No, it's actually true. IIRC after his near fatal stroke Kevin McCarthy basically nursed Luntz back to health. They are close. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

That's not what I said.  I was acknowledging the fact that people tend to grasp the idea that their vote helps enable the actions of the elected official, should they take office.

That's completely different than saying they endorse every action their elected offical takes subsequent to winning the election.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

image.png.c1b20c0706f2578094468c55772a6778.png

Yeah. And I'm saying I think you're being optimistic on how intelligent many people are to even make that basic connection. Like the people who don't realize that the cost of many prescription medicines are going down under Biden, as is inflation, and still blame Democrats for the shit Trump literally inacted. I honestly don't believe that about 25% of the people make that fucking connection. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Then why do you keep saying Republican voters aren't necessarily MAGA?  They are voting for MAGA policies (whatever that means these days - it's all fucking lunacy).  They are excusing Jan 6 as no big deal.  They are saying they want a Trump dictatorship if they pull the lever for him one more time.  If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it doesn't matter if they say they aren't MAGA.  They are.

21 minutes ago, The Dog said:

They don't do plans.  They just fundraise off pithy comments.

• Hook 'Em 7

2 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

... I think Luntz calls it like he sees it, ...

He is a propagandist.  Members of his supposedly independent audience panels have appeared numerous times for different events.  That shit was well documented circa 2007.  Also:

"Fuck you, Frank!"  - Penn & Teller Bullshit

• Hook 'Em 2