the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

Just now, kevwun said:

I am sure there are quite a few yes votes who only voted that way because they knew Jordan wasn't going to win.  That would be something McCaul would do for certain.

Yup and that's why the "no" votes were only going to increase after the first ballot. 

Something to keep in mind is that the Freedom Caucus had a specific list of demands of McCarthy - there was actually room to negotiate. The problem of course is that even though McCarthy agreed to them AND FOLLOWED THROUGH they voted him out anyway. 

Rep Ken Buck (R-Colo) is on CNN with Dana Bash. He voted for Tom Ember.

Dana Bash: "My first question, I guess, is do you want Tom Ember to be Speaker?"

Ken Buck: "No, I don't. I figured this would be the worst job in America. Mike Rowe would not want to do this for his TV show. This is a terrible job."

DB: "Just to underscore that. You voted FOR somebody because you don't like them?"

KB: "I voted for somebody because I wasn't going to vote for Jim Jordan."

DB: "But it's not because you want him to be Speaker. That says a lot about where we are right now."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Drool 1

21 minutes ago, Js1 said:

They need like 5 or 6 to flip. It’s not that hard if you look at it. 

I think it's more than twice that number, right?

And there are almost certainly a few "Jordan" voters who are now going to switch their votes away from Jordan, because now they can tell their MAGA voters, "Gosh, I really tried."

It could still happen, but I think the consensus is that it's way worse for Jordan than we thought.

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

If they could give McWhatshisface emergency powers for the wars and budget and whatnot, this is my preferred scenario.  And then Gaetz immediately calls to oust him again.

If he's a Pro Tem with just select emergency powers, can he be ousted? Or is he immune to a vote? This is like a re-has of the Trump plan to just have Interims lead things and departments since they can pick who they want that wouldn't pass confirmation hearings. 

1 minute ago, cactusflinthead said:

Womack sounds firm

Yet Scalise voted for Jordan, I think. At what point does the pressure force those guys to say "I appreciate the loyalty, but we need to come together." Unless of course they all still hate them half as much as we keep hearing, so...

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If he's a Pro Tem with just select emergency powers, can he be ousted? Or is he immune to a vote? This is like a re-has of the Trump plan to just have Interims lead things and departments since they can pick who they want that wouldn't pass confirmation hearings. 

Sorry, I meant oust McCarthy after he's reinstated for the second time.

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I've read some references to how Jordan acted during the process.  (Worse than usual for him, evidently.)

Does anyone know the details?

I'm guessing he knew about some really terrible stuff going on but turned a blind eye to it anyway

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I'm guessing he knew about some really terrible stuff going on but turned a blind eye to it anyway

Or he knew about some really terrible stuff and made some people fully aware that he knew about it to get their votes.  Didn't someone say it here?  Dead girls or live boys?

McCarthy defends Jordan after he loses on first round of votes for speaker

From CNN's Manu Raju and Kristin Wilson

Former Speaker of the House Rep. Kevin McCarthy speaks to reporters as he leaves the House chamber after Republicans failed in their first attempt to elect Rep. Jim Jordan to be the new House speaker, at the Capitol in Washington, DC, on Tuesday.

Former Speaker of the House Rep. Kevin McCarthy speaks to reporters as he leaves the House chamber after Republicans failed in their first attempt to elect Rep. Jim Jordan to be the new House speaker, at the Capitol in Washington, DC, on Tuesday.

Former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy defended Ohio Rep. Jim Jordan after Jordan lost the first round of votes for the speakership, saying Jordan “has just as many votes as I had on the first round.”

“The difference here is we have rules and we can sit down and talk to the other members and be able to move forward,” he said, brushing away claims by Jordan allies that he was in striking distance when 20 Republicans voted against him. “What I saw was the exact same vote I got when I ran and I became speaker.”

McCarthy said that unlike in January, the chamber can pause to allow discussions to happen between members. 

“Now we have rules. We don’t have to be stuck on the floor,” he said, and blamed “every single Democrat” who he said “voted to stop one branch of government.”

“We’ll go sit down, we’ll talk to those who have a difference of opinion and come back,” he said.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Or he knew about some really terrible stuff and made some people fully aware that he knew about it to get their votes.  Didn't someone say it here?  Dead girls or live boys?

When I think of Gym Jordan trying and failing to become speaker, the term "rhythmic bitch-slapping sounds" comes to mind.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I've read some references to how Jordan acted during the process.  (Worse than usual for him, evidently.)

Does anyone know the details?

https://www.politico.com/live-updates/2023/10/12/congress/wagners-memory-00121375

"Yesterday in conference, he gave the most disgraceful, ungracious — I can’t call it a concession speech — of all time," the Scalise ally added. "There were gasps in the room.”

Then Wagner recalled another moment that lost Jordan her support. It took place during a private meeting between Scalise and Jordan, less than an hour after the majority leader won the House GOP's internal speaker ballot. Wagner wasn't in the room, but she remained outside in Scalise's office and took in the immediate aftermath.

According to Wagner and other House Republicans briefed on the meeting, Jordan said to Scalise: “You get one ballot. And when you go down, you will nominate me.”

She said Scalise pushed back, arguing he had won by the conference rules, to which Jordan replied: “America wants me,” before storming out the door.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

If true, that's not just some "Jim Jordan is a piece of shit" behavior. Or even "Jim Jordan is an uncaring fascist" behavior. That's some straight up psychopath behavior. 

I like watching the puddles gather rain. — The Dead Zone

Dead Zone (Movie) - The Missiles Are Flying on Make a GIF

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

43 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

McCarthy defends Jordan after he loses on first round of votes for speaker

From CNN's Manu Raju and Kristin Wilson

Former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy defended Ohio Rep. Jim Jordan after Jordan lost the first round of votes for the speakership, saying Jordan “has just as many votes as I had on the first round.”

“The difference here is we have rules and we can sit down and talk to the other members and be able to move forward,” he said, brushing away claims by Jordan allies that he was in striking distance when 20 Republicans voted against him. “What I saw was the exact same vote I got when I ran and I became speaker.”

McCarthy said that unlike in January, the chamber can pause to allow discussions to happen between members. 

“Now we have rules. We don’t have to be stuck on the floor,” he said, and blamed “every single Democrat” who he said “voted to stop one branch of government.”

“We’ll go sit down, we’ll talk to those who have a difference of opinion and come back,” he said.

He’s still blaming the Dems for his being dumped. His anger is misplaced. 

Fwiw, Kay Granger voted against Gym in Round 1. Shocker 

25 minutes ago, Js1 said:

America wants body autonomy for women. guess what, Jim. Nobody n the hill gives a shit what america wants. We are lucky if they give a shit what their district or state wants. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1